Author Topic: Things that p*ss me off: driving  (Read 11099 times)

Offline DebraKadabra

• Witch Goddess of Lankershim Boulevard
  • DTF.org Member
  • Can I be as my god am?
Re: Things that p*ss me off: driving
« Reply #140 on: February 17, 2017, 03:28:55 PM »
You know.. I never said that brake checking was the safest thing to do. To be fair, I hardly ever do that on the freeway. I should have clarified that it's side streets and neighborhood streets where it happens to me the most. And even then, I typically camp in the right lane anyway. So yeah.. not too smart, and I agree that it lets my anger control my driving.. but I'm a laid back person. Except behind the wheel. My ex will vouch for that. :lol :biggrin:

Now. Texas seems to just LOVE the left exit on the freeway bunk. I personally cannot STAND left exits. I mean, from an aesthetic standpoint maybe. For practical driving? Noooooooooooooo. Eff dat shit. Don't left exit my right exits, freeway planners.

Offline gmillerdrake

• Proud Father.....Blessed Husband
  • DTF.org Alumni
  • 1 Timothy 2:5
« Reply #141 on: February 18, 2017, 08:22:55 AM »
I utterly fed up with this move:

Any amount of lane road, doesn't matter cuz it happens on all of them. Car/Truck pulls out from a side road or yield lane into fast moving traffic with the expectation that whomever is cruising down the road needs to slow down or change lanes in order not to plow right into them.

I'm to the point to where I think this is an epidemic in Missouri and there have been more than one occasion when these  :censored :censored have pulled out in front of me that I've contemplated not slowing down and not changing lanes....just plowing right into them.

IT IS NOT MY responsibility to slow down or change lanes to avoid hitting Idiots that do this. If you can't get up to speed in time to avoid getting hit by traffic then that's your indicator that it's not a good idea to pull out into traffic. Yet, I see this happen at least a dozen times a day easily.

It drives me INSANE!!
Without Faith.....Without Hope.....There can be No Peace of Mind

Offline pogoowner

• Pancake Bunny
  • DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #142 on: February 18, 2017, 09:32:48 AM »

Any amount of lane road, doesn't matter cuz it happens on all of them. Car/Truck pulls out from a side road or yield lane into fast moving traffic with the expectation that whomever is cruising down the road needs to slow down or change lanes in order not to plow right into them.

I'm to the point to where I think this is an epidemic in Missouri and there have been more than one occasion when these  :censored :censored have pulled out in front of me that I've contemplated not slowing down and not changing lanes....just plowing right into them.

IT IS NOT MY responsibility to slow down or change lanes to avoid hitting Idiots that do this. If you can't get up to speed in time to avoid getting hit by traffic then that's your indicator that it's not a good idea to pull out into traffic. Yet, I see this happen at least a dozen times a day easily.

It drives me INSANE!!
There used to be a specific location on my way to work where this happened to me about 3 times a week. And I didn't have to slow down a little, I had to slow down a LOT. I contemplated hitting them a number of times as well, but I was always afraid it would be ruled my fault.

Online DragonAttack

• DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #143 on: February 18, 2017, 10:12:19 AM »
^
My only 'at fault' accident:  failure to yield (appealed it, paid the fine, was cited, but had the points removed).  It 'was my fault, yet it wasn't'.

I totally get the frustration of molasses mergers/darters. >:(

In the news this week:  traffic deaths in the US jumped to 40,002 last year.  The first increase in ten years.  https://fortune.com/2017/02/15/traffic-deadliest-year/

Here is a wiki link with stats up through 2015.   https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/List_of_motor_vehicle_deaths_in_U.S._by_year
...going along with Dragon Attack's Queen thread has been like taking a free class in Queen knowledge. Where else are you gonna find info like that?!

Offline hefdaddy42

• Et in Arcadia Ego
  • Global Moderator
  • Postwhore Emeritus
« Reply #144 on: February 20, 2017, 12:06:16 PM »

It drives me INSANE!!
I agree, that's awful.

Here's another I see:  Car # 1 is coming onto the interstate.  Car # 1 needs to merge into the right hand lane.

Car # 2 is in the right hand lane, and they go the same speed as merging Car # 1, making it impossible for Car # 1 to merge.  Even worse, Car # 1 can't accelerate to merge in front of Car # 2 because there are other cars already in front of Car # 2.  Also, there's a short ramp, so Car # 1 is running out of road, and if Car # 2 would just go to the left hand lane, that would open up room for Car # 1 to merge onto the interstate.  But Car # 2 won't move.

Keep in mind that in this scenario (which I see all the time), the left hand lane is pretty much empty, so there is no good reason for Car # 2 not to move over and let Car # 1 onto the interstate.

Car # 2 is an asshole.
Hef is right on all things. Except for when I disagree with him. In which case he's probably still right.

Offline Kotowboy

• Yes THAT Kotowboy.
  • DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #145 on: February 20, 2017, 12:07:52 PM »
I drive a 125cc motorbike.

100% of people pull out in front of me. Now I just slow down at all junctions if there's a car waiting because...yep...of course.

Online orcus116

• DT.net Veteran
« Reply #146 on: February 20, 2017, 12:09:30 PM »
Completely agree, hef. I've also see situations where Car #2 sees that Car #1 needs to merge but purposely either speeds up or slows down to block Car #1 from merging out of some strange spite. That tends to happen when someone is going slow, gets passed, and then they get mad that they were passed even though they were going slow so they speed up to prove a point of some kind.

Offline Kotowboy

• Yes THAT Kotowboy.
  • DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #147 on: February 20, 2017, 12:12:05 PM »
Holy Crap one time I was out driving and suddenly out of nowhere it sounded like a plane was crashing.

Looked around and a Ferrari fuckin SCREAMED past me. I could hear that thing for the next 20 miles at least :lol

But scared me out of my wits for that one instant.

Offline gmillerdrake

• Proud Father.....Blessed Husband
  • DTF.org Alumni
  • 1 Timothy 2:5
« Reply #148 on: February 20, 2017, 12:59:43 PM »

It drives me INSANE!!
I agree, that's awful.

Here's another I see:  Car # 1 is coming onto the interstate.  Car # 1 needs to merge into the right hand lane.

Car # 2 is in the right hand lane, and they go the same speed as merging Car # 1, making it impossible for Car # 1 to merge.  Even worse, Car # 1 can't accelerate to merge in front of Car # 2 because there are other cars already in front of Car # 2.  Also, there's a short ramp, so Car # 1 is running out of road, and if Car # 2 would just go to the left hand lane, that would open up room for Car # 1 to merge onto the interstate.  But Car # 2 won't move.

Keep in mind that in this scenario (which I see all the time), the left hand lane is pretty much empty, so there is no good reason for Car # 2 not to move over and let Car # 1 onto the interstate.

Car # 2 is an asshole.

This was one of the things I firmly remember from Drivers ED back in high school. Anytime you're approaching a ramp that's entering the highway and you are in that far right hand lane you should always try to move over to the left a lane just to free up that lane for oncoming merging traffic. It's the right thing to do....now if you can't you can't....but more often than not you could if you just put some thought into it.
Without Faith.....Without Hope.....There can be No Peace of Mind