Author Topic: Things that p*ss me off: driving  (Read 10984 times)

Offline cramx3

• Chillest of the chill
  • DTF.org Alumni
Re: Things that p*ss me off: driving
« Reply #105 on: February 13, 2017, 08:32:53 AM »
Similar situation, we have a yield and merge to get onto the toll road near my house on my way to the parkway.  I have the yield and it's one lane merging with another single lane.  Sometimes the person at the yield signs, stops... and waits till who knows what.  I've passed such a person on the right shoulder before.  Dick move on my part, but why isn't the person moving?!  I don't know and I don't care to wait all day and figure it out.  My father got into a car accident in this same spot while I was in the car because the person at the yield didn't go when there were no cars coming so my dad hit the gas not knowing the person in front didn't move, at all.  My father's fault, but this one spot people don't seem to move easily.

Offline Ben_Jamin

• I'm just a man, thrown into existence by the gods
« Reply #106 on: February 13, 2017, 09:14:48 AM »
One of mine and the main one is during congested traffic hours. People will clog the intersection without having the courtesy to stop in case the light turns red, causing the ones whose light turns green to wait or either not go at all.
I don't know how they can be so proud of winning with them odds. - Little Big Man
Follow my Spotify:BjamminD

Online Herrick

• Hello Mangs
« Reply #107 on: February 13, 2017, 08:46:55 PM »

The absolute worst is when you show respect, you don't tailgate, but you flick the lights - recognized around the world as the friendly, polite signal that "I would like to pass; please move over" and they brake check you and/or flip the bird and/or just ignore you until they're good and ready to move (usually just to get off the exit).

I've never understood the logic of that. If I'm in such a hurry, why should the driver in front of me change lanes when I can just go into the middle lane and pass them? Why should they move over when I can move over myself? I could understand this flicker thing if the driver is going slow as shit but if they're doing a reasonably fast speed then who am I to tell them to get out of the way? In fact this is what everyone does here. They just pass.

The signature move in Fort Wayne though, is to pull out in front of someone and then drive at least 5 mph below the speed limit.  This happens in two primary ways: the first is to make the right hand turn into oncoming traffic and slow them way down...

That happens a lot here too. I don't know if these people are shit at judging speed & distance or if they just simply don't give a fuck. The best is when they have kids in the car too or a "Baby on board" sticker.

Signalling! Don't people learn how to signal when they they're about to turn left or right? And turn your f'ing lights on!

This! Especially when they're merging on or off the highway where the merge lane is the same as the exit lane. I have no problem letting someone get on or off the highway but signal so I know what he fuck you're trying to do!

On the break check issue: When someone tailgates me the first thing I do is make sure I'm not going too damn slow. That definitely happens sometimes and the tailgater brings that to my attention. No problem. I don't want to be inconsiderate and hold anyone up but if it turns out the dildo behind me is a wannabe Racer X then I just keep going at the same speed. Just fucking pass me *shrug*

I also hate people who can't be bothered to stop at the line at stop signs. I don't like stopping either and it's not a big deal when there are no other cars around but when you're at a four-way stop sign with lots of traffic it just confuses the situation even more. Who goes first? The car that's creeping over the line the slowest or the car who stops way before the line?

And I hate that person who stops way before the line at a red light then proceeds to periodically creep forward while everyone else behind them does the same thing. Most of the time I follow along with the herd but sometimes I'm like Buck Swope at the Doughnut shop in Boogie Nights. "I'm not moving. I'm not moving". Sometimes there's like one and a half car lengths between me and the car in front of me 'cause they just can't sit still at the red light.
DISPLAY thy Breasts, My Julia!

Offline pogoowner

• Pancake Bunny
  • DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #108 on: February 13, 2017, 09:09:33 PM »
I never understood the people who keep creeping over the line when they think the light is going to change. What time do you think you're saving? Congratulations, you're 4 feet into the intersection now. What a head start.

Online Herrick

• Hello Mangs
« Reply #109 on: February 13, 2017, 09:24:16 PM »
I never understood the people who keep creeping over the line when they think the light is going to change. What time do you think you're saving? Congratulations, you're 4 feet into the intersection now. What a head start.

And I love when the light turns green and they don't go :facepalm:

Offline TioJorge

• Constantly Contorting
  • Ashes to ashes, fun to funky.
« Reply #110 on: February 13, 2017, 09:45:10 PM »
Man no shit, I see that so much around my town. There was one guy who was literally halfway into the intersection, no exaggeration there. I'm like okay at that point just run the fucking light. You're either that big of a cocksucker or you've got something that important to get to. Good god.

DTP says "WOW, LOOK AT THAT GREAT POST"
RIP DTP.

Online Herrick

• Hello Mangs
« Reply #111 on: February 13, 2017, 11:21:45 PM »
Man no shit, I see that so much around my town. There was one guy who was literally halfway into the intersection, no exaggeration there. I'm like okay at that point just run the fucking light. You're either that big of a cocksucker or you've got something that important to get to. Good god.

Sometimes they're so far into the intersection and they can't even see the light anymore :facepalm:

Online Chino

• Be excellent to each other.
  • DT.net Veteran
« Reply #112 on: February 14, 2017, 06:27:44 AM »

If it's busy and everyone in line can creep up a few feet, you're allowing another car or two to potentially catch the green light. You might not be saving time being at the light, but as someone who hates sitting at red lights more than anything, I have no problem with people doing this.

Offline Dublagent66

• Devouring consciousness...
  • DTF.org Alumni
  • ...Digesting power
« Reply #113 on: February 14, 2017, 07:17:46 AM »

I've seen people do that like they're in some kind of hurry.  Like they can't wait for the light to turn green, and when it does, they can't even get out of their own way.

And I love when the light turns green and they don't go :facepalm:

It's called texting and not driving.  I swear, almost every time I'm at a left turn arrow signal, when it turns, the person in front just sits there like they're waiting for it to turn purple or something and those left green arrows only last a few seconds.
"Two things are infinite; the universe and human stupidity; and I'm not sure about the universe." -Albert Einstein
"There's not a pill you can take.  There's not a class you can go to.  Stupid is foreva."  -Ron White

Online Stadler

• DTF.org Alumni
  • Pointing out the "unfunny" since 2014!
« Reply #114 on: February 14, 2017, 07:59:11 AM »

The absolute worst is when you show respect, you don't tailgate, but you flick the lights - recognized around the world as the friendly, polite signal that "I would like to pass; please move over" and they brake check you and/or flip the bird and/or just ignore you until they're good and ready to move (usually just to get off the exit).

I've never understood the logic of that. If I'm in such a hurry, why should the driver in front of me change lanes when I can just go into the middle lane and pass them? Why should they move over when I can move over myself? I could understand this flicker thing if the driver is going slow as shit but if they're doing a reasonably fast speed then who am I to tell them to get out of the way? In fact this is what everyone does here. They just pass.

Well, it's a way of not compounding the problem, and giving you a chance to do the right thing.   One or both of us is probably afoul of the law with regards to speed, but that's our individual choice, and neither one of us is forcing the other to do anything.   But when you add to that "not passing in the passing lane" (a law in most, but not all, states) and "passing on the right" (also a law in most, but not all, states) it's not only making it worse from a safety standpoint but also an insurance and court standpoint.   Now, your lawbreaking is sort of forcing me to do the same (in a sense).  Multiple violations like that can result in a reckless driving charge which in some states (like mine) is a 30 automatic suspension, and an extra $175 to reinstate your license.   

"Who are you to tell them to get out of the way"?  You are the slower car; slower traffic, move to the right.    Neither car has a "right" to that spot, so - in addition to the legal ramifications above - there is an etiquette to driving that makes it better for everyone, especially if there is a line of cars behind you.   

On the break check issue: When someone tailgates me the first thing I do is make sure I'm not going too damn slow. That definitely happens sometimes and the tailgater brings that to my attention. No problem. I don't want to be inconsiderate and hold anyone up but if it turns out the dildo behind me is a wannabe Racer X then I just keep going at the same speed. Just fucking pass me *shrug*

No offense, but the "I'm not moving over" and "I'm not moving" attitude is pretty much what we've all been talking about here.   I commend you for being honest, but I honestly don't understand that mentality of "go around me".  To me it's all part and parcel.  It's the same attitude as the guy that stands in front of the McDonald's menu with a line of people behind him trying to decide between the Number One meal (Big Mac), Number Two meal (Quarter Pounder) and whether to Super Size it or not.  The menu hasn't changed.  You had the car ride over to decide.  Move out of the way and let the world move on. You're not that special (the guy at McDonalds, not you, Herrick). 
« Last Edit: February 14, 2017, 08:17:47 AM by Stadler »

Offline cramx3

• Chillest of the chill
  • DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #115 on: February 14, 2017, 08:19:21 AM »
I used to rarely pass on the right.  Just felt wrong to go around someone that way like in the above example.  However, I do it all of the time now.  The rightmost lane is usually the most empty for some reason so I just fly down that way and move over when exits approach.  I can't stand the unwillingness of people to move over in the left lane.

Online Stadler

• DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #116 on: February 14, 2017, 08:21:04 AM »

If it's busy and everyone in line can creep up a few feet, you're allowing another car or two to potentially catch the green light. You might not be saving time being at the light, but as someone who hates sitting at red lights more than anything, I have no problem with people doing this.

Me either, especially when the alternative - that car in front who's too busy checking their Facebook app to drive - may cost me five or even ten minutes (depending on how many cars are in line) because of their selfish inattentiveness.

Online Stadler

• DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #117 on: February 14, 2017, 08:27:42 AM »
I used to rarely pass on the right.  Just felt wrong to go around someone that way like in the above example.  However, I do it all of the time now.  The rightmost lane is usually the most empty for some reason so I just fly down that way and move over when exits approach.  I can't stand the unwillingness of people to move over in the left lane.

That's me; less than optimum, but you adapt to your circumstances.  It's probably for a different thread, but I feel that current times are a more selfish, "me first" time than they've been in a while, and I refuse to be held hostage by some numbnuts that either doesn't know or doesn't care how to make the roads better and safer for everyone.

Online Herrick

• Hello Mangs
« Reply #118 on: February 14, 2017, 11:15:28 AM »
Well, it's a way of not compounding the problem, and giving you a chance to do the right thing.   One or both of us is probably afoul of the law with regards to speed, but that's our individual choice, and neither one of us is forcing the other to do anything.   But when you add to that "not passing in the passing lane" (a law in most, but not all, states) and "passing on the right" (also a law in most, but not all, states) it's not only making it worse from a safety standpoint but also an insurance and court standpoint.   Now, your lawbreaking is sort of forcing me to do the same (in a sense).  Multiple violations like that can result in a reckless driving charge which in some states (like mine) is a 30 automatic suspension, and an extra $175 to reinstate your license.

You are the slower car; slower traffic, move to the right. Neither car has a "right" to that spot, so - in addition to the legal ramifications above - there is an etiquette to driving that makes it better for everyone, especially if there is a line of cars behind you.

No offense, but the "I'm not moving over" and "I'm not moving" attitude is pretty much what we've all been talking about here.   I commend you for being honest, but I honestly don't understand that mentality of "go around me".  To me it's all part and parcel.  It's the same attitude as the guy that stands in front of the McDonald's menu with a line of people behind him trying to decide between the Number One meal (Big Mac), Number Two meal (Quarter Pounder) and whether to Super Size it or not.  The menu hasn't changed.  You had the car ride over to decide.  Move out of the way and let the world move on. You're not that special (the guy at McDonalds, not you, Herrick).

On a 3 or 2-lane road/highway passing on the right is legal in New York State. If I'm in the left lane and a bunch of cars are passing me then I'm going too slow and shouldn't even be in the left lane. However, if I'm going at a reasonable speed and keeping up with 99% of the other drivers in the left lane, I'm not going to move over for that one race car driver. If that driver can't pass me because there's traffic in the middle/right lane then I will speed up to give them room to pass.

I've only had one driver flash their lights and I didn't know what it meant back then because I was a new driver. I guess it's different in other states but everyone here passes when they need to. I don't think the McDonald's example really applies. It's more akin being on an escalator at an airport. Most people wait for the escalator to move them (keeping up with traffic). But I'll always stand to the side in case someone's in a hurry and needs to catch a flight. I think this situation is more similar to walking in a store or on a sidewalk. Do you ask people to move or do you walk around them?

Offline chknptpie

• DTF.org Member
« Reply #119 on: February 14, 2017, 11:59:02 AM »
AZ is no different - I also fly past people in the right lanes now. I feel like this has shifted in the past year or so. Most studies show that doing this increases my - and everyone else's - chances for accidents. If slower drivers would just move over, we would all be safer.

Online El Barto

• Rascal Atheistic Pig
  • DTF.org Alumni
  • Bad Craziness
« Reply #120 on: February 14, 2017, 12:38:34 PM »
The funny part is that they all want to be first. When I see a person next to me doing this I'll egg them on by moving forward one foot at a time. Invariably they'll creep up. It amuses me to be manipulative. The down side of this is that most of those people are thoughtless assholes:

If you drive a fucking 10 foot tall Escalade, you don't need to be in front of me to see the cross traffic! In my normal sized car I do need to be in front of you! In terms of things that piss me off driving, not being able to turn right on red because I can't see through some fucking POS driving his POS wannabe hard H2 is pretty high on my list. As somebody who's both observant and conscientious, I'm always mindful of where the drivers next to me are so that we can all see what's going on. It's really not all that hard. It just requires a teeny bit of attention. Nowadays, since nobody pays attention, I'll often stop nearly a car length back at a redlight so that I can see behind the car next to me. Then you get some asshole honking at you because he can't get as close to the light as possible.
Argument, the presentation of reasonable views, never makes headway against conviction, and conviction takes no part in argument because it knows.
E.F. Benson

Offline cramx3

• Chillest of the chill
  • DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #121 on: February 14, 2017, 12:49:43 PM »
Honestly, just seeing an H2 on the road makes me a bit mad.  To each their own and all, and god bless America for giving us such toys... but I just don't like that people choose to drive something like that.  I loved when gas prices surged and you stopped seeing H2s on the road.

Offline TheCountOfNYC

« Reply #122 on: February 14, 2017, 12:49:50 PM »
I only do the creeping thing when I see someone going in the other direction making a left who looks like they're going to cut everyone off instead of waiting like they're supposed to. I get the jump on them and everyone else going straight doesn't have to wait. I think I'm justified in case.
People figured out that the white thing that comes out of cows' titties could be drunk, and the relation between sweet desires and women's bellies growing up for 9 months. It can't be THAT hard to figure out how a trumpet works.”

-MirrorMask

Offline pogoowner

• Pancake Bunny
  • DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #123 on: February 14, 2017, 12:52:33 PM »
The funny part is that they all want to be first. When I see a person next to me doing this I'll egg them on by moving forward one foot at a time. Invariably they'll creep up. It amuses me to be manipulative. The down side of this is that most of those people are thoughtless assholes:

If you drive a fucking 10 foot tall Escalade, you don't need to be in front of me to see the cross traffic! In my normal sized car I do need to be in front of you! In terms of things that piss me off driving, not being able to turn right on red because I can't see through some fucking POS driving his POS wannabe hard H2 is pretty high on my list. As somebody who's both observant and conscientious, I'm always mindful of where the drivers next to me are so that we can all see what's going on. It's really not all that hard. It just requires a teeny bit of attention. Nowadays, since nobody pays attention, I'll often stop nearly a car length back at a redlight so that I can see behind the car next to me. Then you get some asshole honking at you because he can't get as close to the light as possible.
Oh, that does piss me off to no end. I've definitely had that battle where I'm trying to see and they keep getting in the way.

Offline chknptpie

• DTF.org Member
« Reply #124 on: February 14, 2017, 01:28:35 PM »
How about not planning in advance and picking the worst turn lane? I plan ahead when there are two turn lane choices. Left lane - just wanted to go straight or have a left coming up, Right lane - likely going to turn right for something near the intersection. This morning some asshat was in the left turn lane but needed to go right into something quarter of a mile down the road. If you knew you were going to have to turn right - use the right turn lane.

Online Herrick

• Hello Mangs
« Reply #125 on: February 14, 2017, 08:21:00 PM »
AZ is no different - I also fly past people in the right lanes now. I feel like this has shifted in the past year or so. Most studies show that doing this increases my - and everyone else's - chances for accidents. If slower drivers would just move over, we would all be safer.

Serious question: Why is it safer for slower drivers to move into the middle or right lane? I understand that there's always a bit of risk when passing someone but isn't there also a risk when the slower driver wants to get back in the left lane?

Offline cramx3

• Chillest of the chill
  • DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #126 on: February 15, 2017, 06:31:53 AM »

Serious question: Why is it safer for slower drivers to move into the middle or right lane? I understand that there's always a bit of risk when passing someone but isn't there also a risk when the slower driver wants to get back in the left lane?

You have better visibility on your left side since that is the drivers side (in the US).  People passing on your right are a bit harder to see.   Also, on/off ramps are typically on the right so that is where the slower traffic will be.  By passing people in this lane, you risk traffic disruption.

Online Stadler

• DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #127 on: February 15, 2017, 08:27:44 AM »

Why would the slower driver want to get back in the left lane?  That's the point.  The left lane is NOT the "cruising lane".  It's the PASSING lane.  If you're a slower driver, by definition you don't really belong (safely) in the left lane. 

Offline hefdaddy42

• Et in Arcadia Ego
  • Global Moderator
  • Postwhore Emeritus
« Reply #128 on: February 15, 2017, 08:31:12 AM »

Why would the slower driver want to get back in the left lane?  That's the point.  The left lane is NOT the "cruising lane".  It's the PASSING lane.  If you're a slower driver, by definition you don't really belong (safely) in the left lane.
Exactly. 
Hef is right on all things. Except for when I disagree with him. In which case he's probably still right.

Online Chino

• Be excellent to each other.
  • DT.net Veteran
« Reply #129 on: February 15, 2017, 08:49:22 AM »

Exactly.

A big problem in CT is that we have exits on the left side of the highway. People looking to get off will head to the fast lane 2 miles in advance and just chill at 55-60mph. Drives me nuts.

Offline pogoowner

• Pancake Bunny
  • DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #130 on: February 15, 2017, 09:16:35 AM »
Exits on the left are a nightmare.

Offline cramx3

• Chillest of the chill
  • DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #131 on: February 15, 2017, 09:19:47 AM »
Exits on the left are a nightmare.

Yea, luckily there aren't too many of them here in NJ (hell, turning left at a light is often not even an option  :lol) but there is one exit on the left on my way home from work and it always leads to a slow down for the reason Chino mentioned.

Offline hefdaddy42

• Et in Arcadia Ego
  • Global Moderator
  • Postwhore Emeritus
« Reply #132 on: February 15, 2017, 10:25:18 AM »

Exactly.

A big problem in CT is that we have exits on the left side of the highway. People looking to get off will head to the fast lane 2 miles in advance and just chill at 55-60mph. Drives me nuts.
We have some left exits here in North Carolina, but it's an oddity.  The overwhelming majority are on the right (where they are SUPPOSED to be).
Hef is right on all things. Except for when I disagree with him. In which case he's probably still right.

Online Stadler

• DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #133 on: February 15, 2017, 02:43:49 PM »

Exactly.

I-91 South into Hartford, to get on I-84 is exactly like that.   GRRRRR!!!!

Online Herrick

• Hello Mangs
« Reply #134 on: February 15, 2017, 10:27:49 PM »
You have better visibility on your left side since that is the drivers side (in the US).  People passing on your right are a bit harder to see.   Also, on/off ramps are typically on the right so that is where the slower traffic will be.  By passing people in this lane, you risk traffic disruption.

Don't I also risk traffic disruption by moving into that lane to allow a driver behind me to get in front of me?

The slower driver (me) would want to get into the left lane because if I want to do 75 and the drivers in the middle lane are doing 65 & 60 in the right, I would be constantly passing everyone.

I've only driven on Long Island and from what I've seen the left lane isn't solely used for passing. It's pretty much a faster cruising lane on 3-lane highways. If I'm keeping up with the vast majority of traffic in the left lane then I do belong in that lane. It doesn't happen often but if someone behind me wants to go faster then they pass me by going into the middle lane. I've only had someone flash their lights once and that was well over 10 years ago.

Edit: Sorry guys. I'm not trying to be an argumentative Douche.
« Last Edit: February 15, 2017, 10:39:22 PM by Herrick »

Online Stadler

• DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #135 on: February 16, 2017, 06:24:42 AM »

Don't I also risk traffic disruption by moving into that lane to allow a driver behind me to get in front of me?

The slower driver (me) would want to get into the left lane because if I want to do 75 and the drivers in the middle lane are doing 65 & 60 in the right, I would be constantly passing everyone.

I've only driven on Long Island and from what I've seen the left lane isn't solely used for passing. It's pretty much a faster cruising lane on 3-lane highways. If I'm keeping up with the vast majority of traffic in the left lane then I do belong in that lane. It doesn't happen often but if someone behind me wants to go faster then they pass me by going into the middle lane. I've only had someone flash their lights once and that was well over 10 years ago.

Well, you're right about "Long Island"; it's that way here, too, in Connecticut.  The point is, though, is that most of them are wrong.  They sit there, passively driving, thinking it's their right to do so.    That the roads are the way they are doesn't mean they can't all be a SHIT TON better.  Start with the fools that sit in the MIDDLE lane at 55 thinking THAT'S their right.  Next time you're on the highway, count how many times traffic is bottle-necking around the car in the middle lane just doing it's own thing, oblivious to everything around them. 

Speed is irrelevant.  If your middle lane is going 65, and you want to go 75, and there's a line that wants to go 80, well, choices have to be made, and in that case, was I you, I WOULD be "constantly passing" the 65 mph cars.    They get to travel their speed, I get to travel mine, and the 80's get to travel theirs.   Everyone wins.   Is it more work for me?  Yeah, but this isn't a passive activity.

When you're hurtling a 4,000 pound densely packed mass of metal down a concrete/asphalt plane at 60 miles an hour, there is nothing passive about it.  You're there to drive.  Not eat McDonald's, or listen to "The Astonishing", or text your girlfriend behind your wife's back.  You're there to DRIVE.   And if you've got lane to your right, MOVE THE FUCK OVER.  It's the law.   Literally, you could take an average stretch of highway (more than two lanes, that is) and move EVERYONE over one lane to the right, not one of those cars' travel time or quality would change one iota, and you'd open up an entire lane for faster traffic.  You'd have less road rage, less congestion, and less disruption of the flow of traffic.

(And no, this isn't all just me spewing opinions; I was a civil engineer in college who had a couple classes on this, and there's an excellent book called "Traffic!" that talks about this in depth. Some is my opinion in terms of what is right, but a lot is based on science.)

Online Stadler

• DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #136 on: February 16, 2017, 06:26:33 AM »

I can't speak for anyone else, but I never once thought you were an argumentative douche.  Just someone from Long Giland.  :)

Offline chknptpie

• DTF.org Member
« Reply #137 on: February 16, 2017, 06:45:55 AM »
I've found this video to be very helpful
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=4oqfodY2Lz0

Offline cramx3

• Chillest of the chill
  • DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #138 on: February 16, 2017, 07:21:53 AM »

How so?  I certainly wouldn't expect someone to squeeze into a spot in the middle lane to move over (causing the person in the middle lane to hit the brakes).  You still got to wait until the middle lane is clear before you move over and if you were already going faster than them (as you should be in the left lane) then there is no disruption.

Online El Barto

• Rascal Atheistic Pig
  • DTF.org Alumni
  • Bad Craziness
« Reply #139 on: February 17, 2017, 12:30:11 PM »
To me it's simply about uniformity. Let's all try and be on the same page here. Since people are entering from the right, that's where traffic needs to be slowest. If you need to go around somebody, let's all do it in a faster lane, rather than a slower lane. If there are 6 lanes, they should be moving progressively faster the further left you go. It's just normally the case that standardization works better than mayhem and every man for himself. I mean, how does that work at a 4-way stop when the signals' out?
Argument, the presentation of reasonable views, never makes headway against conviction, and conviction takes no part in argument because it knows.
E.F. Benson