Author Topic: What the meme?!  (Read 1128 times)

Offline hefdaddy42

• Whiskey Bent and Hell Bound
  • Global Moderator
  • RIP Dad 1943-2010
Re: What the meme?!
« Reply #35 on: January 31, 2017, 09:55:55 AM »
Certainly seems better than most.

But honestly, memes should be limited to humor, and serious stuff should be actually discussed like grownups, not memeified.

Political humor is OK for memes lol
Hef is right on all things. Except for when I disagree with him. In which case he's probably still right.

Offline chknptpie

• DTF.org Member
« Reply #36 on: January 31, 2017, 09:58:04 AM »
What the meme sounded better as a thread title than "What the internet photo with words on it" did...

Offline Sir GuitarCozmo

• Official Forum Sous Chef and broler5
  • DTF.org Alumni
  • whahibrido pickingant in action...
« Reply #37 on: January 31, 2017, 10:00:49 AM »
Well, to be fair, sometimes a "meme" will be more likely to get someone to read something than a wall of text will.

Offline Implode

• Lord of the Squids
  • DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #38 on: January 31, 2017, 10:06:48 AM »
While the intent is decent, there are still a few holes in that one.

For one, while black pride definitely can be about African culture and heritage, it's not always the case. For example, plenty of black Americans want to be seen as just being American like everyone else, but while also having pride in their skin color to combat the stigmas and racism that still live on today. And of course that's fine because in that case, in the context of American history, black people were discriminated against while white people weren't (in most cases, yes I know there are exceptions, e.g. the Irish, but that's not a skin color thing).

That doesn't invalidate the picture of course, but I could see someone responding with that as a rebuttal.

Also, I feel like some people would respond to this with, "We're not saying white pride! We're talking about culture and heritage!" which opens up a whole other mess of issues to address:

1. The graphic isn't technically against any group, but only criticizing the people that do say that, and yes, there are people that say that. But a slew of people will be concerned that they are being wrongfully lumped in with that group. People are always assuming and worried about that, hence the whole "not ALL ______" thing, which is terribly misguided.

2. It's a also a vague argument that starts to get messy because it implies the addition of the issue of "heritage not hate," and then that's a whole other issue.

Basically, with something like this, although I do agree with it's general message, it just begs so many responses that I know people bring up, which are defeatable, but some not so easily. That's why I usually don't bother with posting/sharing things like this. I have this tendency to see an argument, and then immediately imagine all the things people might say in response or in argument of it. Then it's like I'm already arguing with people in my head, and I'm already exhausted because the discourse even starts. :lol

Offline hefdaddy42

• Whiskey Bent and Hell Bound
  • Global Moderator
  • RIP Dad 1943-2010
« Reply #39 on: January 31, 2017, 10:39:39 AM »
What the meme sounded better as a thread title than "What the internet photo with words on it" did...
Oh, I wasn't talking about terminology.  I'm not saying that pic shouldn't be CALLED a meme.

Well, to be fair, sometimes a "meme" will be more likely to get someone to read something than a wall of text will.
That's true.
Hef is right on all things. Except for when I disagree with him. In which case he's probably still right.

Offline XeRocks81

« Reply #40 on: January 31, 2017, 10:55:49 AM »

I have this tendency to see an argument, and then immediately imagine all the things people might say in response or in argument of it. Then it's like I'm already arguing with people in my head, and I'm already exhausted because the discourse even starts. :lol

That's a good way of putting it.  I find myself doing that a lot nowadays and deleting entire posts in the process.

Offline cramx3

• Chillest of the chill
  • DTF.org Alumni
    • The Home of cramx3
« Reply #41 on: January 31, 2017, 11:23:04 AM »

I have this tendency to see an argument, and then immediately imagine all the things people might say in response or in argument of it. Then it's like I'm already arguing with people in my head, and I'm already exhausted because the discourse even starts. :lol

That's a good way of putting it.  I find myself doing that a lot nowadays and deleting entire posts in the process.

Me too.

Offline chknptpie

• DTF.org Member
« Reply #42 on: February 05, 2017, 10:48:20 AM »
My employee shared this one facebook...  ???

Offline pogoowner

• Pancake Bunny
  • DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #43 on: February 05, 2017, 11:07:10 AM »
Damn it, I'm white, so my chances of getting into Liberal Paradise aren't very good!

Offline El Barto

• DTF.org Alumni
  • Bad Craziness
« Reply #44 on: February 05, 2017, 11:49:09 AM »
Damn it, I'm white, so my chances of getting into Liberal Paradise aren't very good!
:lol

Damn shame, really. They'd get to associate with a better class of people, too.
Argument, the presentation of reasonable views, never makes headway against conviction, and conviction takes no part in argument because it knows.
E.F. Benson