Author Topic: What the meme?!  (Read 937 times)

Offline chknptpie

• DTF.org Member
What the meme?!
« on: January 30, 2017, 12:05:00 PM »
Let's talk about memes baby... We all do have our own sense of humor but I'd like to discuss memes as an educational tool about what is really wrong with the message they are making. The idea spawned from some of the backlash in the Funny thread - but is in no way meant to call out the individuals who post them - please remember that! I thought it could help remove some of the non-funny discussion out of the funny thread as well. Keep the funny's funny!

I'll start with this jewel I saw on Facebook... I'll admit, I chuckled... then I actually thought about it's statement.

What is this image trying to say? I interpret it to be referencing the current outcry to the immigration ban. With that in mind, this is equating immigrants to zombies? Does this mean that immigrants are less than human since Zombies are re-animated corpses?

Offline cramx3

• Chillest of the chill
  • DTF.org Alumni
    • The Home of cramx3
Re: What the meme?!
« Reply #1 on: January 30, 2017, 12:13:31 PM »
My interpretation is not about immigrants, but about the PC culture and everyone has rights, including other animals and just pushing that idea further to include zombies.

Offline XeRocks81

« Reply #2 on: January 30, 2017, 12:14:26 PM »
complete bullshit anti-pc meme

Offline Stadler

• DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #3 on: January 30, 2017, 12:25:20 PM »
Not really; and I can see those activists screaming "FACISTS!" at the zombie-hunters. 

Offline XJDenton

• What a shame
  • Global Moderator
« Reply #4 on: January 30, 2017, 12:28:19 PM »
Not really; and I can see those activists screaming "FACISTS!" at the zombie-hunters. 

Facists = Facebook Racists I guess? :p

Offline Implode

• Lord of the Squids
  • DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #5 on: January 30, 2017, 12:28:31 PM »
Here's my contribution to the meme discourse.

I don't want to be a meme gatekeeper, but I've been slightly peeved by people calling any old image with text on it a meme. A feel like memes have just a little bit more to them in the fact that usually they are some sort of repeated image or idea. Memes are almost like a widespread in-joke if you will, which I do know is an oxymoron. Usually memes have a sort of context that's used as a way to parody, satirize, modify, or add to something. Plain impact text on an image doesn't really count as a meme on its own imo. It's just a format that's commonly used for memes, but not quite one on its own.

One of the only memes I've seen used effectively in this board is this:

https://pbs.twimg.com/media/C3RLNGSUcAId6da.jpg

http://finance.yahoo.com/news/green-card-holders-included-trump-152535025.html

Look I think the EO on the whole is awful but what the hell is the point of preventing green card holders from re-entering the US?

this is the kind of shit people were "TERRIFIED!"  about after the election but were told it was the wrong choice of word because it supposedly denoted some sort of left wing media conspiracy.   :yeahright

Hats off to you, goon.

That Kermit reaction image is a widespread one that's been used in a million different situations to convey a specific response. The best memes are those that can be used effectively without text. The picture in the OP just supposes a ridiculous strawman in text on a semi related image. Yes, it's a popular format, but not a meme.

(I have now become the meme elitist; I'm sorry.)
« Last Edit: January 30, 2017, 12:43:32 PM by Implode »

Offline XJDenton

• What a shame
  • Global Moderator
« Reply #6 on: January 30, 2017, 12:31:12 PM »
They are image macros, not memes.

Offline bosk1

• Bow down to Boskaryus
  • Administrator
  • Hard-hearted harbinger of haggis
« Reply #7 on: January 30, 2017, 12:31:32 PM »
I agree with you, Implode.  But I gave up that battle a long time ago because, unfortunately, the vast majority of people who use the term "meme" actually think it does just mean and image with text, so the meaning of that terms has been lost and replaced with a more broad definition through misuse.  For practical purposes, the definition of the term has changed.
"The Supreme Court of the United States has descended from the disciplined legal reasoning of John Marshall and Joseph Story to the mystical aphorisms of the fortune cookie."

Offline RuRoRul

« Reply #8 on: January 30, 2017, 12:34:05 PM »
True. In a similar exaggerated analogy I could those defending Trump saying "Let's see what Palpatine actually does with absolute power first. If he tries to go too far someone will stop him anyway."

Offline Implode

• Lord of the Squids
  • DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #9 on: January 30, 2017, 12:34:56 PM »
Yes, you're absolutely right, bosk. It's happened with many things throughout history, so I'm not going to fight it or anything. I'll accept the change. But it was something that has been bothering me for the past two days, so this thread was the perfect opportunity to get it off my chest. :lol

Offline antigoon

• Not Elvis
  • DT.net Veteran
  • This was a triumph.
« Reply #10 on: January 30, 2017, 12:35:46 PM »

Offline Stadler

• DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #11 on: January 30, 2017, 12:41:59 PM »
True. In a similar exaggerated analogy I could those defending Trump saying "Let's see what Palpatine actually does with absolute power first. If he tries to go too far someone will stop him anyway."

As a die-hard, life-long Star Wars fan (I saw the original IN THEATERS), and one who has spent the most time here "defending", if not Trump, then at least decrying the lack of any discipline or rigor in the debate around Trump, I'm going to push back on that reference.  My point is, Trump doesn't HAVE absolute power, and nothing close to it.  So the analogy fails.   I would push back hard on that, regardless of who the President is.

Offline hefdaddy42

• Whiskey Bent and Hell Bound
  • Global Moderator
  • RIP Dad 1943-2010
« Reply #12 on: January 30, 2017, 12:43:41 PM »
Well, not yet.

Palpatine didn't either, at first.

Hef is right on all things. Except for when I disagree with him. In which case he's probably still right.

Offline bosk1

• Bow down to Boskaryus
  • Administrator
« Reply #13 on: January 30, 2017, 12:49:57 PM »
Well, not yet.

Well, true.  But the difference is, he wasn't simply able to appease the detractors with promises of free health care and other good benefits.  Oh, wait...  https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=7oWfo4D6eOU
"The Supreme Court of the United States has descended from the disciplined legal reasoning of John Marshall and Joseph Story to the mystical aphorisms of the fortune cookie."

Offline chknptpie

• DTF.org Member
« Reply #14 on: January 30, 2017, 12:51:16 PM »
You know its a political board when the content of your post goes unnoticed, but instead the focus is on a single word used...

In all fairness - I get your point lol

Offline bosk1

• Bow down to Boskaryus
  • Administrator
« Reply #15 on: January 30, 2017, 12:53:17 PM »
I'm completely lost as to who you are responding to.

Offline antigoon

• Not Elvis
  • DT.net Veteran
  • This was a triumph.
« Reply #16 on: January 30, 2017, 12:54:17 PM »
Well, not yet.

Well, true.  But the difference is, he wasn't simply able to appease the detractors with promises of free health care and other good benefits.  Oh, wait...  https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=7oWfo4D6eOU

:clap:

Offline Sir GuitarCozmo

• Official Forum Sous Chef and broler5
  • DTF.org Alumni
  • whahibrido pickingant in action...
« Reply #17 on: January 30, 2017, 12:56:30 PM »
I agree with you, Implode.  But I gave up that battle a long time ago because, unfortunately, the vast majority of people who use the term "meme" actually think it does just mean and image with text, so the meaning of that terms has been lost and replaced with a more broad definition through misuse.  For practical purposes, the definition of the term has changed.

Offline Implode

• Lord of the Squids
  • DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #18 on: January 30, 2017, 01:15:52 PM »

Me.

Sorry. I think my little blurb in my post says my thoughts about the pic in the OP. It's just stupid, but people eat it up because it caters to views people already have. This is one of the reasons why political cartoons never really did it for me.

Offline cramx3

• Chillest of the chill
  • DTF.org Alumni
    • The Home of cramx3
« Reply #19 on: January 30, 2017, 01:47:37 PM »

Me.

Sorry. I think my little blurb in my post says my thoughts about the pic in the OP. It's just stupid, but people eat it up because it caters to views people already have. This is one of the reasons why political cartoons never really did it for me.

For the most part, the political memes are terrible.  One sided and with no source.  They spread like wildfire because it's so easy to share and easy to find one that hits home to you about whatever point you want to make.  Facebook is littered with it and it ruins facebook IMO.  I do like the funny ones, but the serious ones sometimes get mixed with the funny ones or you have funny responses to serious situations or vice versa. 

In my friend's group chat.  Someone brought up immigration and immediately someone else shot 4 memes about it.  Just doesn't add anything to the conversation IMO.  If we want to joke, fine, but if we want to be serious, it's kind of hard to when you speak in memes.

Offline Podaar

• DTF.org Alumni
  • Looks like Fish, tastes like chicken
« Reply #20 on: January 30, 2017, 04:41:04 PM »
I think it is interesting to think that the modern definition of a meme when compared with it's original meaning is itself a meme.

:omg:

Offline Adami

• DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #21 on: January 30, 2017, 04:45:55 PM »
Anyone else finding themselves fact checking and correcting a lot of these things?

Just saw one about how Trump's mom was an illegal immigrant, only to look it up and lo and behold, a legal immigrant.
fanticide.bandcamp.com

Offline Podaar

• DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #22 on: January 30, 2017, 04:50:57 PM »
I do Adami, but then someone shoots back with their own fact check (about the fact checker) and it becomes pointless.

Offline Adami

• DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #23 on: January 30, 2017, 04:51:54 PM »
I do Adami, but then someone shoots back with their own fact check (about the fact checker) and it becomes pointless.

It's quite annoying. I try, as often as possible, to be fair and unbiased. So when I correct a Trump fact or try to remove hyperbole, people tend to get really angry because it's Trump.
fanticide.bandcamp.com

Offline RuRoRul

« Reply #24 on: January 30, 2017, 05:20:52 PM »
If only more people did that.

I agree these political memes / images (i.e. ones that aren't actually based on a meme image just styleedlike one) are not great. The humorous ones are usually only funny if they share your politics, so only worth being shared in places you know people won't have a problem with them - unless you want to get into an actual argument about politics (which is not normally the reason for sharing a "funny" image).

For example the zombie meme vs. my Star Wars example, some would see the first and say it's a bullshit argument against people who are standing up for equal rights today, others would see the latter and say it's a bullshit argument against people who are just not overreacting to Trump's early actions (e.g. Stadler rightly called out the analogy of the Emperor fails, but didn't feel it was worth noting that the analogy of activists arguing against zombie hunters fails too). Apart from a few good examples, most are only "funny" to the extent that they fit more closely with your ideas.

More worrisome than the attempts at humorous ones are the ones that are supposed to be "informative". Just as people only want to see and share jokes that fit their political views, people want to see and share "facts" that fit their politcal views. And I would say those are tied very closely to "fake news" - not the definition now peddled by Trump and others of any news you don't like, but the actual definition I would stick with, which is sometimes in the form of one of these memes (or is at least shared in a similar way). Media organisations with some bias in what they report like Fox News, CNN, MSNBC, aren't "fake news". Even ones that lean heavily in one direction like Mother Jones or Breitbart aren't "fake news". "Fake news" is the stuff that's generated either based on incredibly slim evidence or from thin air, and put in a parcel that is designed to grab attention by appealing to people's preconceived beliefs, and then be shared for clicks.

Take a fitting image, slap some white text on it with an unverifiable claim or an extreme exaggeration of something that's true, then if you can hit the right people that such "information" would appeal to, you might be able to get them to share it with many others. And there's an interesting phenomenon when it comes to the psychology of how people react to false information. I read this article a while ago (the title is more anti-Trump than the actual meat of the article regarding the psychology I would say, in case anyone is put off by that) which I think gives a very good explanation. If we hear once piece of information first that is later corrected, we can still be influenced by that first piece. If we hear something repeatedly then we can start to take it on board even more. And when it comes to emotionally charged information like politics, people are even more likely to believe something they read - even when later corrected - if it fits their previously held beliefs. And that's assuming people actually read something which corrects the original false statement - when it comes to "memes" shared on Facebook, plenty of people will see something once and never read anything further on it.

Maybe that's going quite far from the topic of humorous political "memes", but I think that the same logic that applies to images that are purely meant as jokes (we only want to see ones that reinforce our previous beliefs) also applies to ones that are meant to be more informative.
« Last Edit: January 30, 2017, 05:26:48 PM by RuRoRul »

Offline Sir GuitarCozmo

• Official Forum Sous Chef and broler5
  • DTF.org Alumni
  • whahibrido pickingant in action...
« Reply #25 on: January 30, 2017, 06:29:58 PM »

Offline Stadler

• DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #26 on: January 31, 2017, 06:20:51 AM »

It's not though.  If even one person realizes that you have to google this stuff on your own, it's a win.  I probably take it overboard a little, but I'm relentless about finding out what the FACTS are about any given "quip", "tweet" or "soundbite".  In my humble experience, they are wrong more than three quarters of the time, and that's a big problem, because they are so easily transferable.   

It's definitely the dumbing down of our society.   

Offline cramx3

• Chillest of the chill
  • DTF.org Alumni
    • The Home of cramx3
« Reply #27 on: January 31, 2017, 06:32:37 AM »
Anyone else finding themselves fact checking and correcting a lot of these things?

I don't waste my time, I just don't believe any of them that I see. 

Pretty much

Offline Chino

• Be excellent to each other.
  • DT.net Veteran
« Reply #28 on: January 31, 2017, 06:40:40 AM »
Man, Carl Sagan nailed it in The "Demon-Haunted World: Science as a Candle in the Dark". I would have been curious to hear his thought on memes.

I have a foreboding of an America in my children's or grandchildren's time - when the United States is a service and information economy; when nearly all the manufacturing industries have slipped away to other countries; when awesome technological powers are in the hands of a very few, and no one representing the public interest can even grasp the issues; when the people have lost the ability to set their own agendas or knowledgeably question those in authority; when, clutching our crystals and nervously consulting our horoscopes, our critical faculties in decline, unable to distinguish between what feels good and what's true, we slide, almost without noticing, back into superstition and darkness. The dumbing down of America is most evident in the slow decay of substantive content in the enormously influential media, the 30 second sound bites (now down to 10 seconds or less), lowest common denominator programming, credulous presentations on pseudoscience and superstition, but especially a kind of celebration of ignorance”

Offline Podaar

• DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #29 on: January 31, 2017, 06:41:43 AM »

It's not though.  If even one person realizes that you have to google this stuff on your own, it's a win.  I probably take it overboard a little, but I'm relentless about finding out what the FACTS are about any given "quip", "tweet" or "soundbite".  In my humble experience, they are wrong more than three quarters of the time, and that's a big problem, because they are so easily transferable.   

I guess you could look at it that way, Stadler. What makes it pointless is the sites some folks use to "check their facts". I was provided a link to the Daily Caller yesterday by a friend. I laughed at his link and told him to look up who produces that site...he had no idea what I was talking about, how to go about it nor did he care. That troubles me more than the existence of the Daily Caller.

Offline cramx3

• Chillest of the chill
  • DTF.org Alumni
    • The Home of cramx3
« Reply #30 on: January 31, 2017, 06:46:26 AM »
Man, Carl Sagan nailed it in The "Demon-Haunted World: Science as a Candle in the Dark". I would have been curious to hear his thought on memes.

I have a foreboding of an America in my children's or grandchildren's time - when the United States is a service and information economy; when nearly all the manufacturing industries have slipped away to other countries; when awesome technological powers are in the hands of a very few, and no one representing the public interest can even grasp the issues; when the people have lost the ability to set their own agendas or knowledgeably question those in authority; when, clutching our crystals and nervously consulting our horoscopes, our critical faculties in decline, unable to distinguish between what feels good and what's true, we slide, almost without noticing, back into superstition and darkness. The dumbing down of America is most evident in the slow decay of substantive content in the enormously influential media, the 30 second sound bites (now down to 10 seconds or less), lowest common denominator programming, credulous presentations on pseudoscience and superstition, but especially a kind of celebration of ignorance”

Good quote and wtf is with crystals, I see people actually praying to these things.  :lol

Offline Stadler

• DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #31 on: January 31, 2017, 06:50:13 AM »

Dude, I'm not joking one bit when I say I read that and I got a chill.   That is EERILY real.  That was written in 1995, before Twitter, before texts...   I especially love that line "unable to distinguish between what feels good and what's true".  How prescient!   

Offline Chino

• DT.net Veteran
« Reply #32 on: January 31, 2017, 06:58:04 AM »

Good quote and wtf is with crystals, I see people actually praying to these things.  :lol

I don't know, but the head shop I allegedly go to has a massive display of them. I'm talking like a 12 foot long table loaded with these colorful formations. They all have fancy names and ridiculously specific healing attributes. I'm paraphrasing a bit, but they'll have descriptions like "Place in a kitchen within two feet of a heat source to suppress appetite", "Place in a hot bath to relieve stress", and "Remove the toxins that plague your brain by leaving on nightstand". I otherwise really like the store, but it borderline infuriates me that there are people pissing their money away on such things. Then again, who am I to talk. I'm blowing off a super bowl party to race a $1200 toy monster truck three hours away this Sunday.

Offline Chino

• DT.net Veteran
« Reply #33 on: January 31, 2017, 06:59:31 AM »

Dude, I'm not joking one bit when I say I read that and I got a chill.   That is EERILY real.  That was written in 1995, before Twitter, before texts...   I especially love that line "unable to distinguish between what feels good and what's true".  How prescient!

You would probably really enjoy that book as a whole. There might be a few things you roll your eyes at, but all in all it's a solid read, and like you said, a really eery one at that.

Offline chknptpie

• DTF.org Member
« Reply #34 on: January 31, 2017, 09:46:26 AM »

This one seems decent...?