Author Topic: Things that I find mildly irritating v.2  (Read 304884 times)

Offline Phoenix87x

• From the ashes
  • The Phoenix shall rise
Re: Things that I find mildly irritating v.2
« Reply #875 on: July 17, 2017, 05:23:13 AM »
Its been a tough road, but I am happy to say that I have been able to put that past life behind me and look toward a brighter future. A much more peaceful and happy future.

I love my career as a pharmacist, working in a hospital helping sick people get back on their feet. I love spending time with my friends, and I love finally being able to live my own life.

Online Stadler

• DTF.org Alumni
  • Pointing out the "unfunny" since 2014!
« Reply #876 on: July 17, 2017, 07:19:22 AM »
The irony of that post being in the "mildly irritating" thread is priceless. 

It's fascinating to me how families hide their secrets.   I have a... I guess it's a cousin? - that was executed back in the '20's.  The family story was always how "he was railroaded" and was an "innocent bystander" (involved in the underlying crime - basically "the driver" - but was not part of the murder) and when I dug into it further, it turned out not to be the case.  There are also a ton of stories that come out periodically about alcohol in the other branch of the family tree.     

We bundle up our newborns like they're pieces of China packed for a transcontinental relocation, but when you think about all that many of us endured (or our parents endured) it's amazing we're even here. 

Online Chino

• Be excellent to each other.
  • DT.net Veteran
« Reply #877 on: August 01, 2017, 08:23:55 AM »
I've been using about 10GB a month on my data plan between Spotify, Pandora, and podcasts at work. I bought an FM radio for work to try and cut back. The thing worked great at my house, but in my building the only station I seem to get is Country 92.5.

Offline JayOctavarium

• I used to be a whorejerk
  • DTF.org Alumni
  • But then I took a Hef to the knee...
« Reply #878 on: August 01, 2017, 05:38:43 PM »
I've been using about 10GB a month on my data plan between Spotify, Pandora, and podcasts at work. I bought an FM radio for work to try and cut back. The thing worked great at my house, but in my building the only station I seem to get is Country 92.5.

:lol

I had the bright idea when I first started working where I am at to bring in a radio. I figured it would help keep me awake during the grave shifts I was working.

The only thing that came in was a contemporary Christian station.

FML
I just don't understand what they were trying to achieve with any part of the song, either individually or as a whole. You know what? It's the Platypus of Dream Theater songs. That bill doesn't go with that tail, or that strange little furry body, or those webbed feet, and oh god why does it have venomous spurs!? And then you find out it lays eggs too. The difference is that the Platypus is somehow functional despite being a crazy mishmash or leftover animal pieces

-BlobVanDam on "Scarred"

Offline King Postwhore

• Couch Potato
  • DTF.org Alumni
  • Take that Beethoven, you deaf bastard!!
« Reply #879 on: August 01, 2017, 06:02:41 PM »
That's why I love my I-pod.
I don't like country music, but I don't mean to denigrate those who do. And for the people who like country music, denigrate means 'put down'.” - Bob Newhart
So wait, we're spelling it wrong and king is spelling it right? What is going on here? :lol -- BlobVanDam
"Oh, I am definitely a jackass!" - TAC

Offline rumborak

• DT.net Veteran
« Reply #880 on: August 08, 2017, 09:25:32 PM »
Here's a thing that annoyed me today, and has in the past: I hate it when books are written or movies made about people who made scientific discoveries, and after you finish the book/movie you are none the wiser why this person is famous, but you now all know about the alcoholic uncle or best childhood friend of said person.
I had bought a biography of Claude Shannon, somewhat in a rush admittedly, and just found out that it virtually contains nothing about the development of his theory at all.
"I liked when Myung looked like a women's figure skating champion."

Online cramx3

• Chillest of the chill
  • DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #881 on: August 08, 2017, 10:36:49 PM »
Well that's just not the juicy drama needed to sell  :)

That's why I love my I-pod.

Yea, or phone.  I just upgraded my microSD card from 64GB to 128GB (well the 64G card failed) which is used to store music.  So now I really can store so much different music that putting my phone on random is almost like listening to the radio. Lots of music comes on that I didn't even know/remember I had.  I've been listening to the misfits a lot today, for whatever reason the shuffle has picked lots of misfits songs.

Online Chino

• DT.net Veteran
« Reply #882 on: August 15, 2017, 11:19:53 AM »
The amount of red tape required just to set up a table at a farmers' market.

Offline JayOctavarium

• I used to be a whorejerk
  • DTF.org Alumni
  • But then I took a Hef to the knee...
« Reply #883 on: August 15, 2017, 12:57:57 PM »
The fact that the red tape industry has a monopoly on farmers' markets. They've ran their blue and green tape competitors out of business.
I just don't understand what they were trying to achieve with any part of the song, either individually or as a whole. You know what? It's the Platypus of Dream Theater songs. That bill doesn't go with that tail, or that strange little furry body, or those webbed feet, and oh god why does it have venomous spurs!? And then you find out it lays eggs too. The difference is that the Platypus is somehow functional despite being a crazy mishmash or leftover animal pieces

-BlobVanDam on "Scarred"

Offline Shadow Ninja 2.0

• Heir Transparent
  • Transcribing Existence Rivets
« Reply #884 on: August 15, 2017, 01:02:59 PM »
When people capitalize all the letters of a group or TV show or something because the official logo has all caps. That's stylization, you don't write it like that in regular text because it looks fucking weird.

Offline Bolsters

• Lost Boy
  • DTF.org Member
  • What a hell of a day to embrace disorder
« Reply #885 on: August 15, 2017, 09:43:38 PM »
That reminds me of when someone makes a post to Facebook/whatever And They Capitalise Every Single Word Of Their Message.

Why? Can they not figure out which words need to be capitalised, and think they will fool everyone into thinking they aren't that stupid by just capitalising everything? :facepalm:

Offline Logain Ablar

• False Dragon
« Reply #886 on: August 16, 2017, 05:18:41 AM »
Apostrophe's on plural word's, especially on sign's and advertisement's.

Actually, this is more than just mildly irritating to me..   :angry:

Online Chino

• DT.net Veteran
« Reply #887 on: August 16, 2017, 06:23:10 AM »
That reminds me of when someone makes a post to Facebook/whatever And They Capitalise Every Single Word Of Their Message.

Why? Can they not figure out which words need to be capitalised, and think they will fool everyone into thinking they aren't that stupid by just capitalising everything? :facepalm:

I DON'T KNOW WHY YOU HAVE A PROBLEM WITH PEOPLE THAT POST CONTENT OR RESPONSES TO THINGS IN THIS KIND OF FASHION. IT ISN'T ANNOYING OR ANYTHING!

Online Stadler

• DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #888 on: August 23, 2017, 08:32:36 AM »
When Mitch McConnell says "Pockistan" and other politicians say "Tollybon".    Is this like when Bush (purposefully, and as a dis) called the leader of Iraq "Sa-dam"?  Or is it accents? 

I've lived 49 years thinking it was "Pack-istan" and "Tal-iban". 

Online Chino

• DT.net Veteran
« Reply #889 on: August 23, 2017, 08:36:41 AM »
When Mitch McConnell says "Pockistan" and other politicians say "Tollybon".    Is this like when Bush (purposefully, and as a dis) called the leader of Iraq "Sa-dam"?  Or is it accents? 

I pronounce "nuclear" exactly the same way Bush Jr. did. My family tears into me every time I do.

Offline BlobVanDam

• Future Boy
  • DTF.org Alumni
  • Transform and rock out!
« Reply #890 on: August 23, 2017, 08:39:26 AM »

I pronounce "nuclear" exactly the same way Bush Jr. did. My family tears into me every time I do.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=OoASZyihalc
Only King could mis-spell a LETTER.
Yep. I think the only party in the MP/DT situation that hasn't moved on is DTF.

Online Adami

• Moderator of awesomeness
« Reply #891 on: August 23, 2017, 11:08:18 AM »

Americans pronounce most of those words in incorrectly. So the ways that upset you are correct here. I also get mildly annoyed when I hear people mispronunce Iraq or Iran. Or even Muslim or Islam.
fanticide.bandcamp.com

Online Stadler

• DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #892 on: August 23, 2017, 12:03:09 PM »

Americans pronounce most of those words in incorrectly. So the ways that upset you are correct here. I also get mildly annoyed when I hear people mispronunce Iraq or Iran. Or even Muslim or Islam.

I'm not sure I'm fully in agreement with that; there are translations and spellings that are adopted; I find it hard to believe that I have gone through 11 years of post-high school education, including an MBA in International Business, and haven't heard "Pockistan" until Mitch McConnell started saying it...

But, assuming you're right, I'll amend my irritation:   I hate it when someone is speaking, and is clear in their diction and accent, then for one word or one phrase, lapses into some other accent.  You see this on TV with Latino/Latina actresses:  <Perfect WASP accent> I decided to make dinner and was in luck, as I had all the ingredients to make a perfect <Insert Antonio Banderas accent> poy-o ee carnay (with rolled 'r') asada!"    Or, <insert perfect Alabama/Kentucky accent> We need to have the Senate in line, and we need to get <Insert perfect middle Eastern accent> Pockistan <Back to Alatucky accent> step up and help us in this effort."   

Online Adami

« Reply #893 on: August 23, 2017, 12:18:53 PM »
Sure, I can see that.

I'm not an expert on Pakistan. But I know how Iran, Iraq, Muslim and Islam are properly pronounced and rarely do I meet Americans who pronounce any of those words correctly. I don't care if they have an MBA, or a JD, or an MD, or a PhD in whatever. If they're pronouncing it incorrectly, those education degrees don't justify it.

How do I know how to pronounce those words? I read them in Arabic. I listen to Arabs say them. It's not difficult.

However, to your overall point, I get the annoyance in changing your accent for a word and then switching back. I don't think it's always a matter of an accent though.
fanticide.bandcamp.com

Online Stadler

• DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #894 on: August 23, 2017, 12:32:06 PM »
Sure, I can see that.

I'm not an expert on Pakistan. But I know how Iran, Iraq, Muslim and Islam are properly pronounced and rarely do I meet Americans who pronounce any of those words correctly. I don't care if they have an MBA, or a JD, or an MD, or a PhD in whatever. If they're pronouncing it incorrectly, those education degrees don't justify it.

How do I know how to pronounce those words? I read them in Arabic. I listen to Arabs say them. It's not difficult.

So how do you pronounce the last name of the famous painter that starry nights and mutilated his own left ear? 

Online Adami

« Reply #895 on: August 23, 2017, 12:34:18 PM »
Sure, I can see that.

So how do you pronounce the last name of the famous painter that starry nights and mutilated his own left ear?

Haha, I almost mentioned him! Yes. I know how to properly pronounce Van Gogh, but I generally pronounce the way most popular in America or else people are likely to slap me for being a pretentious twat.

It's a grey area, I tell you!

Edit: I also pronounce Sauna the correct way, even if it pisses off Americans  :-*
fanticide.bandcamp.com

Online Stadler

• DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #896 on: August 23, 2017, 12:52:06 PM »
Sure, I can see that.

Haha, I almost mentioned him! Yes. I know how to properly pronounce Van Gogh, but I generally pronounce the way most popular in America or else people are likely to slap me for being a pretentious twat.

Edit: I also pronounce Sauna the correct way, even if it pisses off Americans  :-*

Or they'll chuckle; isn't the true pronunciation very like "fun cock"?  I say "van go" usually, but in company (someone who knows art, or chicks I'm trying to impress) I will say "van GOCK".  I'm sticking with "saw-na", though, not "sow-na".  :)

And what say you about "forte"?  The new-fangled "for-tay" or the classic (and correct) "fort"?  "Err"?  The colloquial "air" or the more correct "er"? 

Offline IDontNotDoThings

« Reply #897 on: August 23, 2017, 09:01:48 PM »
Sure, I can see that.

Or they'll chuckle; isn't the true pronunciation very like "fun cock"?  I say "van go" usually, but in company (someone who knows art, or chicks I'm trying to impress) I will say "van GOCK".  I'm sticking with "saw-na", though, not "sow-na".  :)

And what say you about "forte"?  The new-fangled "for-tay" or the classic (and correct) "fort"?  "Err"?  The colloquial "air" or the more correct "er"?

My English teacher says "van cough". It's pretty funny
ドリームシアターはあまり好きではありませんが、ペンと紙を持っていたので、なんてこった。

Online Adami

« Reply #898 on: August 23, 2017, 09:08:13 PM »
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=AlwO0xvm3fw

Just to lay that one to rest.
fanticide.bandcamp.com

Online Stadler

• DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #899 on: August 24, 2017, 06:14:37 AM »
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=AlwO0xvm3fw

Just to lay that one to rest.

Sounds like "fun COCK" with a throatful of phlegm.    Awesome.

Online Chino

• DT.net Veteran
« Reply #900 on: September 01, 2017, 06:17:22 AM »
My girlfriend's sister wears a bricked Apple watch everywhere she goes.

Offline Logain Ablar

• False Dragon
« Reply #901 on: September 01, 2017, 07:08:42 AM »

Why? For fashion reasons?

Online Chino

• DT.net Veteran
« Reply #902 on: September 01, 2017, 07:13:07 AM »

Why? For fashion reasons?

I can't think of any other reason. I guess it's more important for people to know you own Apple products over having a functioning time piece on your wrist.

Offline pogoowner

• Pancake Bunny
  • DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #903 on: September 01, 2017, 07:31:15 AM »
Well, watches in general are about 95% for fashion purposes regardless, unless you're trekking around in the middle of nowhere.

Online Chino

• DT.net Veteran
« Reply #904 on: September 01, 2017, 08:15:36 AM »
Well, watches in general are about 95% for fashion purposes regardless, unless you're trekking around in the middle of nowhere.

Yeah, but at least it still has a function. You can make the same argument about cars. It'd be akin to buying a Mercedes SLS with no engine, seats, transmission, or gas tank and just parking it in your driveway for the neighbors to see.

Online cramx3

• Chillest of the chill
  • DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #905 on: September 01, 2017, 08:18:15 AM »
That seems odd, but pogoowner has a good point.  Watches in general are for fashion these days.  No one needs a watch to tell time anymore.  My friends talk about their expensive watches a lot.  I'm not a fashion person so I'm not dropping thousands on a watch, but it's purely a fashion/wealth statement.  Im guessing the same would apply for the apple watch that doesn't work.

Online Chino

• DT.net Veteran
« Reply #906 on: September 01, 2017, 08:31:51 AM »
Idk. I wear a regular watch and use it all the time.

Online cramx3

• Chillest of the chill
  • DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #907 on: September 01, 2017, 08:38:27 AM »
but do you need it?  Since most people don't need watches anymore due to having our phones attached to our hips, I feel watches in general have become mostly a fashion thing, not many people are buying them to tell time.  Not that no one would, but like you said, you have a normal watch.  Would you spend 10k on a watch just to tell time?

The apple watch offers some other tools besides telling time, but having an apple product for some people is about fashion.  My friend made an adjustment on his iphone so the apple logo lights up, its a fashion thing for him.  Hes also one with multiple 10k watches. 

Online Chino

• DT.net Veteran
« Reply #908 on: September 01, 2017, 08:50:00 AM »
but do you need it?  Since most people don't need watches anymore due to having our phones attached to our hips, I feel watches in general have become mostly a fashion thing, not many people are buying them to tell time.  Not that no one would, but like you said, you have a normal watch.  Would you spend 10k on a watch just to tell time?

The apple watch offers some other tools besides telling time, but having an apple product for some people is about fashion.  My friend made an adjustment on his iphone so the apple logo lights up, its a fashion thing for him.  Hes also one with multiple 10k watches.

I'd spend $10K on a watch if I hit that powerball last week. I find them fascinating and awesome pieces of machinery. I have a cool collection of skeleton watches, so I get what you're saying about the fashion thing. The one I have on my wrist now was $275 and I've had it  9 years now. I'm willing to bet this watch that the current gen Apple watch won't be supported 9 years from now and will be completely useless. I actually don't have the ability to always use my cellphone to tell time. In meeting I can't pull it out. When I'm sealing driveways (work I've been doing on weekends), I don't even have it on me. When I go camping or boating, the phone is in dry storage.

"The apple watch offers some other tools besides telling time" ... True, but like I said. Hers is bricked. It offers no value of any kind other than telling others she has one. I suppose if she was stranded on an island, she could use the reflective glass to maybe signal to a plane that she's stranded, but that's about it.

Offline Logain Ablar

• False Dragon
« Reply #909 on: September 01, 2017, 08:58:05 AM »
Since most people don't need watches anymore due to having our phones attached to our hips, I feel watches in general have become mostly a fashion thing, not many people are buying them to tell time.

I didn't wear a watch for about 2 years, and just used my phone to check the time. I can't honestly tell you why I started wearing one again. We were on holiday in the US and got one for like $30 from the Fossil outlet. I've ended up wearing that one ever since. I suppose it looks ok and does a job, but I'm not really bothered by the fashion aspect.

I don't think I could ever justify spending 10k on a watch.