Author Topic: Things that I find mildly irritating v.2  (Read 304901 times)

Online Adami

• Moderator of awesomeness
Re: Things that I find mildly irritating v.2
« Reply #105 on: February 09, 2017, 03:47:14 PM »
I'm anti drugs, smoking and drinking. I also don't curse.

He's still my favorite comedian.
fanticide.bandcamp.com

Offline Kotowboy

• Yes THAT Kotowboy.
  • DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #106 on: February 09, 2017, 03:52:33 PM »
Him and Bill Hicks are the same thing to me.

I dislike both.

Offline PowerSlave

« Reply #107 on: February 09, 2017, 03:58:30 PM »
I know this is the correct thread to vent bile..But I won't bother.

Suffice to say. Of course people love Carlin. He's anti governemnt. Anti religion and pro drugs and smoking and drinking.

Why wouldn't people love that ? :biggrin:

See also : Bill Hicks.

End.

He was not pro smoking (unless it was pot), or drinking at all. In fact, he was vehemently against alcohol abuse. I have many of his early (late 60's/early 70's) albums on my ipod, and listen to them on a somewhat regular basis. He mentions it on one of them. I'll try to track it down on a youtube clip for you.
All of this has happened before and all of this will happen again

Offline Kotowboy

• Yes THAT Kotowboy.
  • DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #108 on: February 09, 2017, 04:00:15 PM »
Probably Bill Hicks then. It's basically the same act.

Offline PowerSlave

« Reply #109 on: February 09, 2017, 04:03:24 PM »
Probably Bill Hicks then. It's basically the same act.

If one is pro, and the other is against, how is it the same act? Sure, they have some things in common, but they're far from being the same act.
All of this has happened before and all of this will happen again

Online Adami

• Moderator of awesomeness
« Reply #110 on: February 09, 2017, 04:05:23 PM »
Yea, George is definitely just like Bill Hicks.

In fact, I figured you'd really resonate with George's "everything sucks, everybody pisses me off" attitude.
fanticide.bandcamp.com

Offline Randaran

• The Fate of Destruction is also the Joy of Rebirth
« Reply #111 on: February 09, 2017, 04:05:29 PM »

so basically fuck everything

Aside from the wind, that looks like my preferred weather. Though it snowed today and I'm still wearing shorts, so make of that what you will.  :lol
Only a prog fan would try to measure how much they enjoy a song by an equation. :lol
My anime can beat up your anime.

Offline IDontNotDoThings

« Reply #112 on: February 09, 2017, 11:23:55 PM »

so basically fuck everything

Aside from the wind, that looks like my preferred weather. Though it snowed today and I'm still wearing shorts, so make of that what you will.  :lol

{{Edit: Misread your post  :facepalm:}}
ドリームシアターはあまり好きではありませんが、ペンと紙を持っていたので、なんてこった。

Offline Tomislav95

« Reply #113 on: February 10, 2017, 04:31:35 AM »
Are those Celsius? Where do you live? It's -1 here :|

What mildly irritates me: when someone flakes out >:( my friend didn't really cancel at the last minute but we agreed to go to the concert together (on Sunday) almost two weeks ago and now he's not going at all. I know his reasons and those are not really good reasons not to go but whatever. I got used to go to the prog shows alone :D
...the years just pass like trains
I wave but they don't slow down...

Offline IDontNotDoThings

« Reply #114 on: February 10, 2017, 04:46:20 AM »

Yep, I live in Australia. This is the first time I've really paid attention to weather forecasts, but apparently this is the hottest summer we've had in quite a long time.

Here's an updated pic as of 10:45PM, (the other pic was from 7:30AM)

Offline BlobVanDam

• Future Boy
  • DTF.org Alumni
  • Transform and rock out!
« Reply #115 on: February 10, 2017, 04:51:50 AM »
I feel your pain! What area do you live? It was 44C here today, 45C tomorrow, luckily the day after that got downgraded to *only* 37C.
We have never had a Summer close to this brutal before.
Only King could mis-spell a LETTER.
Yep. I think the only party in the MP/DT situation that hasn't moved on is DTF.

Offline IDontNotDoThings

« Reply #116 on: February 10, 2017, 04:53:35 AM »
What's worse is that I've heard there may be a power outage for some places since everyone's has their aircon on.

Hoping for the best...  :(

Offline BlobVanDam

• Future Boy
  • DTF.org Alumni
  • Transform and rock out!
« Reply #117 on: February 10, 2017, 04:59:22 AM »
What's worse is that I've heard there may be a power outage for some places since everyone's has their aircon on.

Hoping for the best...  :(

Yeah I heard, but luckily nothing came of it here. Hopefully we're fine tomorrow too. We don't even have air conditioning in our house, so it double sucks.
Only King could mis-spell a LETTER.
Yep. I think the only party in the MP/DT situation that hasn't moved on is DTF.

Online Stadler

• DTF.org Alumni
  • Pointing out the "unfunny" since 2014!
« Reply #118 on: February 10, 2017, 06:41:00 AM »
I know this is the correct thread to vent bile..But I won't bother.

Suffice to say. Of course people love Carlin. He's anti governemnt. Anti religion and pro drugs and smoking and drinking.

Why wouldn't people love that ? :biggrin:

See also : Bill Hicks.

End.

I love Carlin, one of my favorite comedians, and I think Hicks is funny (but not the legend he has become because of the Denis Leary nonsense).   But I get this attitude.   Carlin is an iconoclast, and it's almost as if - and this is irony for you, kids - other people take a sort of self-justification from it.    Forget that he wouldn't have wanted that at all (he's said as much), it's the exact opposite of being an iconoclast (thus the irony), and a lot of it is misunderstood (ala the drinking part of it).   

I do know I saw him in Vegas once, with some people I worked with (we were lawyers for GE) and I remember about halfway through the show, leaning over to my boss and whispering, "you know he's making fun of people like us, right?   He's making of us?" and he said exactly what I was also thinking, which was "Yeah, but he's so freaking good at it that it's still funny!".   

Offline Randaran

• The Fate of Destruction is also the Joy of Rebirth
« Reply #119 on: February 10, 2017, 09:41:00 AM »
Crap, I misread that. I assumed it was Fahrenheit. My bad. Yeah, that looks awful.
Only a prog fan would try to measure how much they enjoy a song by an equation. :lol
My anime can beat up your anime.

Offline Kotowboy

• Yes THAT Kotowboy.
  • DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #120 on: February 10, 2017, 09:42:30 AM »
There is another side to it which is - I don't find Hicks or Carlin funny and way too preachy...

And the amount of times I just casually say I'm not a Hicks fan and someone replies

" Not my fault if you don't understand his humour "

EVERY TIME.

I understand cracker jokes - doesn't mean I think they're hysterically funny.

Also lol at you thinking you're somehow superior to me because you like Bill Hicks...

Offline Architeuthis

« Reply #121 on: February 10, 2017, 10:21:10 AM »

What mildly irritates me: when someone flakes out >:( my friend didn't really cancel at the last minute but we agreed to go to the concert together (on Sunday) almost two weeks ago and now he's not going at all. I know his reasons and those are not really good reasons not to go but whatever. I got used to go to the prog shows alone :D
I can totally relate to this!  Back in 2011 Rush was touring the second leg of the Time Machine tour.  They had a summer date at The Gorge amphitheater in Washington state, which is a beautiful venue out in the middle of nowhere overlooking the Columbia Rver. I made arrangements to go with two friends who said they were going and wanted me to ride with them and stay at the campground after the show. The day before the show, I had packed my tent and everything else excited to see Rush. The next morning, I was waiting for them to pick me up and they never showed.. I called them to see what's up and no answer. I drove to the local airport where he worked as a aircraft mechanic, and he was there in the hangar tinkering on a airplane. I asked him Wtf??  He said he and his wife decided not to go and just wanted to take it easy for the weekend..
They didn't even have the decency to tell me they weren't going and completely ruined my opportunity to see Rush. I didn't have a dependable vehicle at the time to make the 5 hour trip.. They knew how much that show meant to me and screwed me out of it,, selfish jerks!!  I would have been ok with it if they would have had enough common courtesy to give me a few days notice, I missed the concert as a result. A week before, they said it was a for sure thing! So this did not mildly irritate me, it literally pissed me off!  And yes, I did have a ticket for the show.
  A friend of mine that went said it was the best epic concert he had ever seen, and if he knew I could have rode with him. Neil Peart said on his website that it was the best show Rush has ever played to date, and it was the last show of the Time Machine tour..
You can do a lot in a lifetime if you don't burn out too fast, you can make the most of the distance, first you need endurance first you've got to last....... NP

Online Chino

• Be excellent to each other.
  • DT.net Veteran
« Reply #122 on: February 10, 2017, 01:01:53 PM »
Got a raise today, which I'm grateful for, but irritated that I won't see it reflected in my checks until 4/1/17

Online cramx3

• Chillest of the chill
  • DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #123 on: February 10, 2017, 01:35:03 PM »
Got a raise today, which I'm grateful for, but irritated that I won't see it reflected in my checks until 4/1/17

That's just annoying.  Congrats on the raise  :metal

Online Chino

• Be excellent to each other.
  • DT.net Veteran
« Reply #124 on: February 10, 2017, 01:43:25 PM »

Thanks. They must be really impressed with my web browsing abilities  :lol

Offline Kotowboy

• Yes THAT Kotowboy.
  • DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #125 on: February 10, 2017, 01:49:46 PM »
 :metal :chino:

I had a thought today. Telling someone with depression to " just cheer up " is like telling a man with one leg to "just grow another one".

Online cramx3

• Chillest of the chill
  • DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #126 on: February 10, 2017, 01:57:11 PM »
:metal :chino:

I had a thought today. Telling someone with depression to " just cheer up " is like telling a man with one leg to "just grow another one".

True.  Although my guess is that the person saying such a thing just doesn't know something better to say and it's better to say something like that then nothing in such situations.  I say that as someone who often struggles to find words in serious and sad personal discussions.

Offline Kotowboy

• Yes THAT Kotowboy.
  • DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #127 on: February 10, 2017, 02:09:54 PM »

:emo: I accept hugs.

Online Stadler

• DTF.org Alumni
  • Pointing out the "unfunny" since 2014!
« Reply #128 on: February 10, 2017, 02:44:05 PM »

I'm pretty sure it was your "Jay and Silent Bob" meme.  I'm sure of it. 

Offline pogoowner

• Pancake Bunny
  • DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #129 on: February 10, 2017, 02:46:27 PM »
As someone who suffers from mental illness, though relatively mild in my case, the stigma and ignorance around most mental illness does indeed piss me off.

Online cramx3

• Chillest of the chill
  • DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #130 on: February 10, 2017, 02:58:45 PM »

I'm pretty sure it was your "Jay and Silent Bob" meme.  I'm sure of it.

:lol

Offline IDontNotDoThings

« Reply #131 on: February 10, 2017, 05:33:39 PM »

Offline Snow Dog

« Reply #132 on: February 10, 2017, 11:35:33 PM »

I'm sure it's been posted in the previous thread, but this shit. Why watch a concert through a lens and screen? Moreover, why make the person behind you watch it through your lens and screen too as you're blocking their view?

Offline Architeuthis

« Reply #133 on: February 11, 2017, 02:45:36 AM »
Snow Dog,  best post yet in this thread!  I can't agree more..
You can do a lot in a lifetime if you don't burn out too fast, you can make the most of the distance, first you need endurance first you've got to last....... NP

Online twosuitsluke

• Dovie'andi se tovya sagain
« Reply #134 on: February 11, 2017, 03:13:09 AM »
That doesn't usually irritate me as it doesn't spoil my enjoyment of the show. I feel sorry for them though as I don't feel they are experiencing it in the same way as most other people.

What does irritate me though is when people have their phones out in a metal pit then get all shitty if their phone gets knocked out of their hand!! I mean what do you expect?? You don't take your phone into the swimming pool then get angry that it gets wet!

Offline IDontNotDoThings

« Reply #135 on: February 11, 2017, 03:27:47 AM »

Offline Tomislav95

« Reply #136 on: February 11, 2017, 03:57:50 AM »
That doesn't usually irritate me as it doesn't spoil my enjoyment of the show. I feel sorry for them though as I don't feel they are experiencing it in the same way as most other people.

What does irritate me though is when people have their phones out in a metal pit then get all shitty if their phone gets knocked out of their hand!! I mean what do you expect?? You don't take your phone into the swimming pool then get angry that it gets wet!
Totally. And those videos will look as shit anyway and there's no way they'll watch it more than once.
I'm ok with taking few pictures but tbh I most often forget to even think about my smartphone while being there :lol
...the years just pass like trains
I wave but they don't slow down...

Offline Kotowboy

• Yes THAT Kotowboy.
  • DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #137 on: February 11, 2017, 08:14:00 AM »
How about disabled people that are up themselves and refuse any help and are just all around dickish?

Had one today. Wouldn't let us open the door for her. Then refused to engage in conversation with staff. Just sat there and ignored us.

Yeah have fun with that...

Online twosuitsluke

• Dovie'andi se tovya sagain
« Reply #138 on: February 11, 2017, 09:10:11 AM »

Totally. And those videos will look as shit anyway and there's no way they'll watch it more than once.
I'm ok with taking few pictures but tbh I most often forget to even think about my smartphone while being there :lol

If I'm honest, when I'm at a gig I'm not always even fussed about watching the band and the stage. If it's a band I don't really know I'll watch more but if it's one of my faves I just want to experience the music. Obviously music isn't a visual thing and I don't really hero worship bands so I never cared for being on the barrier staring up at the band. I prefer to be in the middle of the crowd and I'm usually head down, eyes closed at times just rocking out. I know everyone is different but that's how I find I enjoy it most. I just think it's sad if people are filming shows to put on Facebook or show their friends like 'hey, this is what I did last night, I'm so cool.'. It's a comment on our society where it seems like an experience is only deemed valid if you can share it via social media! It's pretty stupid.

Offline pogoowner

• Pancake Bunny
  • DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #139 on: February 11, 2017, 09:12:42 AM »
I usually don't do more than snap a few photos if I'm at a concert. My phone isn't capable of getting decent audio anyway, so I'm not going to try to record. And while people recording can be annoying at the venue, I'd be a total hypocrite if I didn't point out that, if they do a good job, I'll probably find myself enjoying their work on Youtube.