Author Topic: Things that I find mildly irritating v.2  (Read 308469 times)

Offline TioJorge

• Constantly Contorting
  • Ashes to ashes, fun to funky.
Re: Things that I find mildly irritating v.2
« Reply #700 on: May 20, 2017, 11:21:54 PM »
^
A-fucking-MEN.

DTP says "WOW, LOOK AT THAT GREAT POST"
RIP DTP.

Offline IDontNotDoThings

« Reply #701 on: May 20, 2017, 11:35:37 PM »

rip
ドリームシアターはあまり好きではありませんが、ペンと紙を持っていたので、なんてこった。

Offline TioJorge

• Constantly Contorting
  • Ashes to ashes, fun to funky.
« Reply #702 on: May 21, 2017, 01:18:47 AM »
 :'(

You savage being. You thought "If I just put rip, he'll fix it...but if I SCREENCAP IT...there's no going back", didn't you!?

I concur with such vile tactics.

DTP says "WOW, LOOK AT THAT GREAT POST"
RIP DTP.

Offline Kotowboy

• Yes THAT Kotowboy.
  • DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #703 on: May 21, 2017, 02:38:12 AM »
I'm lost ???

Offline Phoenix87x

• From the ashes
  • The Phoenix shall rise
« Reply #704 on: May 22, 2017, 04:30:05 AM »
When you sleep on you neck wrong somehow and you wake up and its super stiff and achy and you can barely move it  :-[

Online ReaperKK

• Sweeter After Difficulty
  • DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #705 on: May 22, 2017, 05:01:05 AM »
I hate that, you try and turn your head and it just sends shooting paint down your neck.

Offline Kotowboy

• Yes THAT Kotowboy.
  • DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #706 on: May 22, 2017, 05:08:30 AM »
Is it gloss or matt paint ?

Offline RoeDent

• 2006 Time Magazine Person of the Year
« Reply #707 on: May 22, 2017, 08:33:04 AM »
On that subject, any site with video that auto-plays needs to be eradicated. Nobody wants it. And nobody wants to watch a 40-second video of someone telling them something that they could've read in 3 seconds. Just stop.

I don't care that this was posted weeks ago. This this this this this!!! *bangs fist on table so hard it breaks*

The only websites where autoplaying is logical are websites where the main purpose is watching videos, like YouTube etc. Other websites should just stop it.

Online Chino

• Be excellent to each other.
  • DT.net Veteran
« Reply #708 on: May 22, 2017, 10:44:22 AM »
I'm going to get a cultural here, and maybe wrongfully so, but this irritates me.

There is a woman I work with regularly who lives in the US but is from India. She is not in my department but we have a lot of crossover work between teams. I can never understand her. When we're in a conference room on a call, she'll say something on the phone and I have to press mute so my man Vikram can translate her shit English into semi-understandable English. When we're in the same room, it's just awkward. I hate having to ask her to repeat a million times.  I just spent the morning in a training class and this woman was in there as well. When the class started, we all had to do an around the room and tell some info about ourselves. This woman's turn comes up and she says she's been living in the United States for 16 years now. 16 years and I still can't understand her. Maybe I'm underestimating the difficulty of learning a new language, but I'd hope that after 16 years of being immersed in the culture, the locals would at least be able to understand to a decent degree what I was trying to say.

Online Stadler

• DTF.org Alumni
  • Pointing out the "unfunny" since 2014!
« Reply #709 on: May 22, 2017, 11:13:44 AM »
I run across the same thing with my French colleagues (I work for a French company).  Smart, valuable input, but I can't understand a word of it. 

Online Adami

• Moderator of awesomeness
« Reply #710 on: May 22, 2017, 11:16:18 AM »
I run across the same thing with my French colleagues (I work for a French company).  Smart, valuable input, but I can't understand a word of it.

No wonder you have such awful opinions, the French are rubbing off on you!
fanticide.bandcamp.com

Online Stadler

• DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #711 on: May 22, 2017, 11:27:00 AM »

No wonder you have such awful opinions, the French are rubbing off on you!

I wish.  I can't understand a word of it, but it's a special brightening to the day to talk to a "Laureen" or "Angelique" from France in that accent.   

(Though I realize that's not what you mean...)

Online Adami

• Moderator of awesomeness
« Reply #712 on: May 22, 2017, 11:35:40 AM »
Well, I'll give the French their women, for sure.
fanticide.bandcamp.com

Offline Prog Snob

• DT.net Veteran
  • In the end we're left infinitely and utterly alone
« Reply #713 on: May 22, 2017, 12:58:04 PM »
Some people acclimate just enough to get by but surround themselves with others similar to them so they never fully integrate into the new culture.

Online King Postwhore

• Couch Potato
  • DTF.org Alumni
  • Take that Beethoven, you deaf bastard!!
I don't like country music, but I don't mean to denigrate those who do. And for the people who like country music, denigrate means 'put down'.” - Bob Newhart
So wait, we're spelling it wrong and king is spelling it right? What is going on here? :lol -- BlobVanDam
"Oh, I am definitely a jackass!" - TAC

Offline Kotowboy

• Yes THAT Kotowboy.
  • DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #715 on: May 23, 2017, 01:53:55 PM »
It actually is true.

I don't believe it's not a joke :P

People will get offended at anything these days. Literally anything.

- - - - - - - - - -

Cyclists in the middle of the road doing 10 mph when there's a huge tailback of cars.

Their attitude is " well i'm a road user too - i'm part of traffic - i've every right to be on the road. "

PULL OVER. Even tractor drivers pull over for traffic when there's a layby.

it's called courtesy.

Online King Postwhore

• Couch Potato
  • DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #716 on: May 23, 2017, 01:55:36 PM »
It actually is true.
I don't like country music, but I don't mean to denigrate those who do. And for the people who like country music, denigrate means 'put down'.” - Bob Newhart
So wait, we're spelling it wrong and king is spelling it right? What is going on here? :lol -- BlobVanDam

Online King Postwhore

• Couch Potato
  • DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #717 on: May 24, 2017, 05:00:59 AM »
When the hospital and your insurance code your visit incorrectly and the insurance sends you a check and even though you call the hospital to tell them they messed up the send your bill to a collection agency.

Not even a second bill sent.  WTF. This is one of so many things that is wrong with health care in America.

Online ReaperKK

• Sweeter After Difficulty
  • DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #718 on: May 24, 2017, 05:04:41 AM »
I'm going to get a cultural here, and maybe wrongfully so, but this irritates me.

There is a woman I work with regularly who lives in the US but is from India. She is not in my department but we have a lot of crossover work between teams. I can never understand her. When we're in a conference room on a call, she'll say something on the phone and I have to press mute so my man Vikram can translate her shit English into semi-understandable English. When we're in the same room, it's just awkward. I hate having to ask her to repeat a million times.  I just spent the morning in a training class and this woman was in there as well. When the class started, we all had to do an around the room and tell some info about ourselves. This woman's turn comes up and she says she's been living in the United States for 16 years now. 16 years and I still can't understand her. Maybe I'm underestimating the difficulty of learning a new language, but I'd hope that after 16 years of being immersed in the culture, the locals would at least be able to understand to a decent degree what I was trying to say.

I can completely relate. We have a woman who is in charge of the development team that I work closely with. She is absolutely brilliant but I can not understand her at all. The way she structures her sentences really throws me off so I have to really focus on what she is saying.

Offline KevShmev

• EZBoard Elder
« Reply #719 on: May 24, 2017, 05:54:00 AM »
I might have had already said this one, but my thing of the day I find irritating is this:

People who answer a phone at a place of business without identifying the name of the company and their name.  If you answer the phone at a business, you should answer saying the company name and your name.  It is rude otherwise. 

Offline Prog Snob

• DT.net Veteran
  • In the end we're left infinitely and utterly alone
« Reply #720 on: May 24, 2017, 05:57:15 AM »
John's Pool Room. We rack 'em, you crack 'em. John speaking.

Offline Kotowboy

• Yes THAT Kotowboy.
  • DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #721 on: May 24, 2017, 06:21:33 AM »
I might have had already said this one, but my thing of the day I find irritating is this:

People who answer a phone at a place of business without identifying the name of the company and their name.  If you answer the phone at a business, you should answer saying the company name and your name.  It is rude otherwise.

:( *dials 911*

:azn: Hi !

:( Errr..Police ?

:azn: You betcha !

Offline chknptpie

• DTF.org Member
« Reply #722 on: May 24, 2017, 07:41:01 AM »

Are you calling a main office or a direct line? I won't announce my company's name if you have called my desk phone.

Offline rumborak

• DT.net Veteran
« Reply #723 on: May 24, 2017, 09:08:18 AM »
The US has odd answering habits anyway. Sometimes you get "Yello?", sometimes "Who is this?". Sometimes nothing at all.
"I liked when Myung looked like a women's figure skating champion."

Online cramx3

• Chillest of the chill
  • DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #724 on: May 24, 2017, 09:32:02 AM »
I just don't answer the phone

I really do everything I can to avoid phone conversations, I see them as a waste of time now unless its something urgent (and my phone calls almost never are).

Offline Evermind

• DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #725 on: May 24, 2017, 10:33:59 AM »

Are you calling a main office or a direct line? I won't announce my company's name if you have called my desk phone.

Yep, this. Most of the calls to my desk phone come from people from the same company I work for. It would be stupid for me to add "Mil Moscow Helicopter Plant" each time. I usually just state my name and department I work for. If the phone call comes before 8 AM, I usually just go "yes?" because why the hell you're calling me before the beginning of the official working day anyway.
This first band is Soen very cool swingy jazz fusion kinda stuff.

Offline Phoenix87x

• From the ashes
  • The Phoenix shall rise
« Reply #726 on: May 24, 2017, 03:23:05 PM »
That's the one thing I love about my job. No outside calls, just people that are in the building. Its very nice.

Online cramx3

• Chillest of the chill
  • DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #727 on: May 24, 2017, 03:24:37 PM »
That's the one thing I love about my job. No outside calls, just people that are in the building. Its very nice.

Same here but no internal calls either.  Just text chat and video conferencing.

Offline KevShmev

• EZBoard Elder
« Reply #728 on: May 24, 2017, 06:33:34 PM »

Unless it is someone internal at my office, I answer my line the exact same way every time: "Thank you for calling ****, this is Kevin, how may I help you?"  Admittedly I make more calls than I receive (I probably make 20-30 a day and answer maybe a handful), but I think it is still professional to answer the phone by giving your name as well as the name of your company.

Offline TAC

• DTF.org Alumni
  • Arthritic Metal Horns
« Reply #729 on: May 24, 2017, 07:48:42 PM »
Unless it is someone internal at my office, I answer my line the exact same way every time: "Thank you for calling ****, this is Kevin, how may I help you?"

Exactly perfect. Same here.

I hate automated answering (dis)services. So aggravating.
would have thought the same thing but seeing the OP was TAC i immediately thought Maiden or DT related
Winger Theater Forums........or WTF.  ;D
TAC got a higher score than me in the electronic round? Honestly, can I just drop out now? :lol

Offline Kotowboy

• Yes THAT Kotowboy.
  • DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #730 on: May 25, 2017, 06:19:47 AM »
Queuing with 1 item at the checkout and the person in front is just dithering about umming and errring.

For AGES.

Then when they finally actually pay - they'll STILL hang around the checkout like "um but what if .. or...

...can I just...?"

Online Stadler

• DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #731 on: May 25, 2017, 06:45:31 AM »

Unless it is someone internal at my office, I answer my line the exact same way every time: "Thank you for calling ****, this is Kevin, how may I help you?"  Admittedly I make more calls than I receive (I probably make 20-30 a day and answer maybe a handful), but I think it is still professional to answer the phone by giving your name as well as the name of your company.

This is me too; it was drummed into me as a kid around the house that you answer the phone politely, and that lesson still lingers today.   You answer the phone, and you're representing yourself and your employer.  The LEAST I do is answer "Hello, Stadler".  Without the "Stadler", of course, and with my real first and last name.   

Offline JayOctavarium

• I used to be a whorejerk
  • DTF.org Alumni
  • But then I took a Hef to the knee...
« Reply #732 on: May 27, 2017, 10:02:28 AM »
re: phone

When I was working for the county, I would answer incoming calls with just a generic "County of Ventura, This is Jeremy speaking. How can I assist you today?" Now if it was another worker calling from within the system (gotta love Caller ID.. plus even if they weren't in the caller ID, the entire county basically had whole list of phone #s that they owned, so I could tell just at a glance whether it was internal or not) I'd just answer with "This is Jeremy... "

Now back at my Security job, we are supposed to answer the phone with "Seabridge Security, this is (insert name) speaking, How can I help you today?"

And we have employees who just answer with "Hello?" or even "Yea?"

Pisses me the hell off. I have gotten on more than one ass regarding that.
I just don't understand what they were trying to achieve with any part of the song, either individually or as a whole. You know what? It's the Platypus of Dream Theater songs. That bill doesn't go with that tail, or that strange little furry body, or those webbed feet, and oh god why does it have venomous spurs!? And then you find out it lays eggs too. The difference is that the Platypus is somehow functional despite being a crazy mishmash or leftover animal pieces

-BlobVanDam on "Scarred"

Offline Kotowboy

• Yes THAT Kotowboy.
  • DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #733 on: May 27, 2017, 10:54:40 AM »
Had one of those " sorry we're closing in 5 minutes "

" oh we wont be long " customers in today. Closed at 4. they were still fucking chatting and drinking their one coffee an hour later.

Fuck's sake. They even looked annoyed when I took away their empty cups like  :yeahright

Oh sorry i'm inconveniencing you. I was supposed to be home an hour ago...

Offline orcus116

• DT.net Veteran
« Reply #734 on: May 27, 2017, 10:59:38 AM »
Should've made them help you close up. We need more accountability as a society and making up for being a dick customer should be a start.