Author Topic: Things that I find mildly irritating v.2  (Read 307004 times)

Offline Phoenix87x

• From the ashes
  • The Phoenix shall rise
Re: Things that I find mildly irritating v.2
« Reply #665 on: May 08, 2017, 07:19:44 AM »

Offline Stadler

• DTF.org Alumni
  • Pointing out the "unfunny" since 2014!
« Reply #666 on: May 08, 2017, 10:35:16 AM »
The ones I hate are

Van GO

N rowt

Noter Daym.

::)

How is the first one supposed to be pronounced?

As for the third, in America, there is a rather famous University called "Notre Dame" and it's pronounced "Noter Daym", so there's that problem. 

As for the last, what I find irritating is when people try to put in the linguistic inflection.  It happens a lot with Spanish words; someone will be speaking in perfect diction English, and they'll throw in a Spanish word and all of a sudden it sounds like Keenan Thompson imitating David Ortiz on Saturday Night Live.   

Me? I actually mispronounce a ton of words, because I got most of my vocabulary by reading, and so I had to sort of formulate (read: GUESS) the pronunciation myself, and so I know a ton of words that I've never actually heard pronounced at all, let alone pronounced correctly.   
« Last Edit: May 08, 2017, 12:53:44 PM by Stadler »

Offline Adami

• Moderator of awesomeness
« Reply #667 on: May 08, 2017, 12:49:50 PM »
fanticide.bandcamp.com

Offline Stadler

• DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #668 on: May 08, 2017, 12:56:55 PM »
The ones I hate are

Van GO

N rowt

Noter Daym.

::)

How is the first one supposed to be pronounced?

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=AlwO0xvm3fw

All I heard was "Vincent Van" and a cough.  :) ;)

Offline Bolsters

• Lost Boy
  • DTF.org Member
  • What a hell of a day to embrace disorder
« Reply #669 on: May 08, 2017, 06:30:54 PM »
As for the third, in America, there is a rather famous University called "Notre Dame" and it's pronounced "Noter Daym", so there's that problem. 
The problem is, America bastardised the pronunciation of it. It is a french phrase that is pronounced "Not-Ra Dahm" which the college was named after, but at some point America as a whole started to mispronounce it because of the way it's spelled. So much so that by now I'm sure even the faculty probably call it "Noter Daym" and not just the ignorant college girl-watching public.

But I do understand that if anyone over there started calling it "NotRa Dahm" no one would understand what they were talking about, and it would never really become widespread, so it's far too late to correct it now. Might as well just roll with it. :lol

Offline King Postwhore

• Couch Potato
  • DTF.org Alumni
  • Take that Beethoven, you deaf bastard!!
« Reply #670 on: May 08, 2017, 07:00:10 PM »
The problem is, America bastardised the pronunciation of it. It is a french phrase that is pronounced "Not-Ra Dahm" which the college was named after, but at some point America as a whole started to mispronounce it because of the way it's spelled. So much so that by now I'm sure even the faculty probably call it "Noter Daym" and not just the ignorant college girl-watching public.

But I do understand that if anyone over there started calling it "NotRa Dahm" no one would understand what they were talking about, and it would never really become widespread, so it's far too late to correct it now. Might as well just roll with it. :lol

We call it Notra Dame.
I don't like country music, but I don't mean to denigrate those who do. And for the people who like country music, denigrate means 'put down'.” - Bob Newhart
So wait, we're spelling it wrong and king is spelling it right? What is going on here? :lol -- BlobVanDam
"Oh, I am definitely a jackass!" - TAC

Offline PB1

« Reply #671 on: May 09, 2017, 08:26:50 AM »

Lol!! Classic George bush. Man that guy, hard to believe he was president lmao.

Offline Kotowboy

• Yes THAT Kotowboy.
  • DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #672 on: May 09, 2017, 08:49:32 AM »
Being stuck behind someone doing TWENTY FIVE MPH in a 60 mph zone.

And it's a small country road with no way of overtaking.

I was coasting with the clutch in and I was keeping up with them...

FFS.

There's obeying the speed limit and there's being an annoying dawdler.

Offline Phoenix87x

• From the ashes
  • The Phoenix shall rise
« Reply #673 on: May 09, 2017, 02:59:35 PM »
This has happened a couple times now. In Blue ray and video game cases, the center piece that holds the disc is not very strong and sometimes when something is being shipped, the disc becomes dislodged, rattles around and by the time it gets to me its now scratched up and won't play correctly or not at all. Most of the time, the sellers are willing to refund it, but this drives me so crazy

Like for example, a package came the other day. It was brand new, still in the shrink wrap, but I could hear it rattling in there before I even opened it and when I did, this is what I saw. and its scratched and the system 50/50 will recognize the disc. Just really annoying

Offline pogoowner

• Pancake Bunny
  • DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #674 on: May 09, 2017, 05:52:49 PM »
Yup. It's been a problem as long as discs have been around (I've had plenty of terrible jewel cases that, even when they weren't broken, couldn't hold onto a CD), and it still hasn't been totally remedied with Blu-rays, even though it's even more important to keep them scratch-free.

Offline King Postwhore

• Couch Potato
  • DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #675 on: May 09, 2017, 08:56:23 PM »
6 hours before you get up for work but the 5 days off messes with your sleeping patterns and your not tired.
I don't like country music, but I don't mean to denigrate those who do. And for the people who like country music, denigrate means 'put down'.” - Bob Newhart
So wait, we're spelling it wrong and king is spelling it right? What is going on here? :lol -- BlobVanDam

Offline BlobVanDam

• Future Boy
  • DTF.org Alumni
  • Transform and rock out!
« Reply #676 on: May 09, 2017, 10:27:17 PM »
Yup. It's been a problem as long as discs have been around (I've had plenty of terrible jewel cases that, even when they weren't broken, couldn't hold onto a CD), and it still hasn't been totally remedied with Blu-rays, even though it's even more important to keep them scratch-free.

You'd think they'd have figured out how to hold a disc securely by now.
I've rarely if ever had this issue for single disc cases such as games, but on DVD boxsets with 4-6 discs inside, I see this often, because they've got thinner plastic and more banging around in there.
Only King could mis-spell a LETTER.
Yep. I think the only party in the MP/DT situation that hasn't moved on is DTF.

Offline Chino

• Be excellent to each other.
  • DT.net Veteran
« Reply #677 on: May 10, 2017, 07:15:52 AM »
All the legacy guys at my company that insist on using a single 17" monitor to work on. Just spent 30 minutes in a director's office and watched him bounce back and forth about 200 times between spreadsheets/reports looking for inconsistencies. I have twin 24" monitors and feel like that isn't enough visual real estate. I don't know how they do it.

Offline hefdaddy42

• Et in Arcadia Ego
  • Global Moderator
  • Postwhore Emeritus
« Reply #678 on: May 10, 2017, 07:41:40 AM »
All the legacy guys at my company that insist on using a single 17" monitor to work on. Just spent 30 minutes in a director's office and watched him bounce back and forth about 200 times between spreadsheets/reports looking for inconsistencies. I have twin 24" monitors and feel like that isn't enough visual real estate. I don't know how they do it.
At my current job, I use 3 monitors (a double monitor display plus the laptop screen).  I would freak out a little if I had to go down to only 2, and 1 would be almost unthinkable.
Hef is right on all things. Except for when I disagree with him. In which case he's probably still right.

Offline Stadler

• DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #679 on: May 10, 2017, 08:04:58 AM »
I'm a big fan of the multiple monitor setup.   

Either of you (or do you know anyone here) that is above average on a Mac?  I have a question on burning CDs that the "experts" at the Apple Support forum aren't capable of answering. 

Offline Chino

• DT.net Veteran
« Reply #680 on: May 10, 2017, 08:16:18 AM »
I'm a big fan of the multiple monitor setup.   

Either of you (or do you know anyone here) that is above average on a Mac?  I have a question on burning CDs that the "experts" at the Apple Support forum aren't capable of answering.

My Mac experience died along with my second generation iPad.

Offline ReaperKK

• Sweeter After Difficulty
  • DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #681 on: May 10, 2017, 08:30:37 AM »
I roll with two work monitors and my testing is done on my laptop, I could use another monitor :lol

Offline cramx3

• Chillest of the chill
  • DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #682 on: May 10, 2017, 08:40:41 AM »
I have a work provided mac book (but I am not expert, so not sure I can help with cd burning on it since mine doesn't even have a cd drive but my guess is that the best way to do it is via itunes) but work also provides mne with a beautiful 28 inch monitor that I keep thinking about taking home since my work typically I can get by with just my laptop screen and hardly use this big beautiful monitor.  At home I have 24in and 22in monitors which I mostly use for gaming on one screen and something else on the other (maybe gaming related, maybe a video, maybe my recording software).  I love the dual monitor set up, but my brother got a single 32in 4k monitor and I am thinking I want that in the near future (and try to fit one of my other monitors on my desk).

Offline KevShmev

• EZBoard Elder
« Reply #683 on: May 11, 2017, 05:02:01 PM »
We started using double monitors at work last year and I cannot imagine going back to just one now. 

Offline King Postwhore

• Couch Potato
  • DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #684 on: May 11, 2017, 07:51:57 PM »
These type of commercials.  Everything about it business using this as a way to profit sickens me.

https://www.ispot.tv/ad/Ap1V/know-hpv-hpv-vaccination

Offline Adami

« Reply #685 on: May 11, 2017, 07:58:37 PM »
Wait, there's a vaccine for HPV? I honestly had no clue.

Do they expect people actually knew this? And have known for quite some time?
fanticide.bandcamp.com

Offline King Postwhore

• Couch Potato
  • DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #686 on: May 11, 2017, 08:03:12 PM »
The scare tactic is what upsets me.  The other part is the cost for these commercials impact how much it cost for drugs. 

How did I survive the years without these commercials?

Offline chknptpie

• DTF.org Member
« Reply #687 on: May 11, 2017, 09:08:16 PM »

Pretty sure it's been available for about 15 years - but I think they prefer to give it to preteens... maybe?

Offline Phoenix87x

• From the ashes
  • The Phoenix shall rise
« Reply #688 on: May 12, 2017, 03:34:00 AM »
HPV can be pretty nasty, and its super prevalent. But I agree about the marketing.

I was going to get the vaccine myself, but I am past 26. So its no dice.

Offline pogoowner

• Pancake Bunny
  • DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #689 on: May 12, 2017, 09:42:48 PM »

Pretty sure it's been available for about 15 years - but I think they prefer to give it to preteens... maybe?
It's definitely been available for some time.

Offline King Postwhore

• Couch Potato
  • DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #690 on: May 13, 2017, 04:57:05 AM »
It's how they portrayed if you don't take the vaccine that was upsetting.  Let's scare parents into taking it.  I'm for all vaccines but that's just downright dirty.

Offline Zantera

• Wolfman's brother
  • DTF.org Member
  • Bouncing around the room
« Reply #691 on: May 13, 2017, 12:54:55 PM »
Roulette threads escalating into this really drawn out thing with first impressions, second impressions, hangman games and guessing who sent what and when. Like jesus, what's wrong with just a straight up roulette?

Offline Chino

• DT.net Veteran
« Reply #692 on: May 15, 2017, 06:08:21 AM »
Having an alarm set for 5:30, but waking up at 5:05 to drop a duece.

Offline Phoenix87x

• From the ashes
  • The Phoenix shall rise
« Reply #693 on: May 15, 2017, 06:17:04 AM »
Having an alarm set for 5:30, but waking up at 5:05 to drop a duece.

That sucks. This happens to me often, but its having to get up to piss. Its the 6 am piss alarm clock  :P  never fails

Offline Stadler

• DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #694 on: May 15, 2017, 08:17:18 AM »
Roulette threads escalating into this really drawn out thing with first impressions, second impressions, hangman games and guessing who sent what and when. Like jesus, what's wrong with just a straight up roulette?

I also don't really care for how roulettes seem to turn into a dictatorship.  If I send in something like Stairway to Heaven (i.e., something that everyone and his brother has heard) that ought to be on me for being a douche, and I should be scored accordingly.  I have more trouble figuring out what songs are eligible than anything else.   

Offline Shadow Ninja 2.0

• Heir Transparent
  • Transcribing Existence Rivets
« Reply #695 on: May 15, 2017, 10:03:23 AM »
The point of a roulette is to listen to new music. Letting people send things you've already heard seems counterintuitive.

Offline Kotowboy

• Yes THAT Kotowboy.
  • DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #696 on: May 15, 2017, 01:26:10 PM »
When you like something and there's that one person who has to remind you how much they hated it every single f---ing time it's mentioned.

Yes. I know. You told me. Every time. I get it. Shut Up.

Offline Adami

« Reply #697 on: May 15, 2017, 01:42:10 PM »
When you like something and there's that one person who has to remind you how much they hated it every single f---ing time it's mentioned.

Yes. I know. You told me. Every time. I get it. Shut Up.

Hmmmmmm.
fanticide.bandcamp.com

Offline Kotowboy

• Yes THAT Kotowboy.
  • DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #698 on: May 15, 2017, 01:43:24 PM »
Insinuating I do that.

Offline Kotowboy

• Yes THAT Kotowboy.
  • DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #699 on: May 20, 2017, 03:09:50 PM »
Un-skippable trailers commercials and PSAs on DVDs / Blu Rays

I paid for this now just give me the film. Dont tell me Piracy is a Crime WHEN I BOUGHT THE F---ING THING.