Author Topic: Things that I find mildly irritating v.2  (Read 304363 times)

Offline King Postwhore

• Couch Potato
  • DTF.org Alumni
  • Take that Beethoven, you deaf bastard!!
Re: Things that I find mildly irritating v.2
« Reply #560 on: April 20, 2017, 10:17:49 AM »
Those goddamn grammar police too on the internet! :lol

Those goddamn grammar police on the internet, too!

;)

Those goddamn Yankee fans!   ;D
I don't like country music, but I don't mean to denigrate those who do. And for the people who like country music, denigrate means 'put down'.” - Bob Newhart
So wait, we're spelling it wrong and king is spelling it right? What is going on here? :lol -- BlobVanDam
"Oh, I am definitely a jackass!" - TAC

Offline Podaar

• DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #561 on: April 20, 2017, 10:19:53 AM »
I'm having strange deja vu.
Those goddamn grammar police too on the internet! :lol

Those goddamn grammar police on the internet, too!

;)

Also, those goddamned grammar police on the internet! :lol

FTFY
I have always found it quaint, and rather touching, that there is a movement in the U.S. that thinks Americans are not yet selfish enough.” — Christopher Hitchens

Offline Kotowboy

• Yes THAT Kotowboy.
  • DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #562 on: April 20, 2017, 10:20:37 AM »
When people have mobiles (cell) but leave them at home when they go out.  :angry:

What's the point?!

Why should I obligated to be reachable at all times? Sometimes I like a day away from the world and those who occupy it.

My point being - why even have a mobile phone if you use it like a landline and also have a landline phone ?   Just dont own a mobile !

Offline cramx3

• Chillest of the chill
  • DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #563 on: April 20, 2017, 10:21:55 AM »
When people have mobiles (cell) but leave them at home when they go out.  :angry:

What's the point?!

Why should I obligated to be reachable at all times? Sometimes I like a day away from the world and those who occupy it.

My point being - why even have a mobile phone if you use it like a landline and also have a landline phone ?   Just dont own a mobile !

Own a land line phone?  What are we in the 90s?!   :biggrin:

Offline Chino

• Be excellent to each other.
  • DT.net Veteran
« Reply #564 on: April 20, 2017, 10:27:20 AM »

What's the point?!

Because I don't have a landline.

Offline King Postwhore

• Couch Potato
  • DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #565 on: April 20, 2017, 10:27:34 AM »
I'm hoping to pop veins in foreheads today.
I don't like country music, but I don't mean to denigrate those who do. And for the people who like country music, denigrate means 'put down'.” - Bob Newhart
So wait, we're spelling it wrong and king is spelling it right? What is going on here? :lol -- BlobVanDam

Offline Adami

• Moderator of awesomeness
« Reply #566 on: April 20, 2017, 10:28:20 AM »
I'm hoping to pop veins in foreheads today.

Please don't pop any in mine.
fanticide.bandcamp.com

Offline Podaar

• DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #567 on: April 20, 2017, 10:31:46 AM »
@King, I think you meant to post in the "Things that I find mildly amusing" thread.
I have always found it quaint, and rather touching, that there is a movement in the U.S. that thinks Americans are not yet selfish enough.” — Christopher Hitchens

Offline King Postwhore

• Couch Potato
  • DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #568 on: April 20, 2017, 11:35:33 AM »
Nope, I'm having funn.

Tee Hee.

Offline Kotowboy

• Yes THAT Kotowboy.
  • DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #569 on: April 20, 2017, 11:51:01 AM »
oopsie.

Offline Kotowboy

• Yes THAT Kotowboy.
  • DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #570 on: April 20, 2017, 11:53:44 AM »
^ Oopsie I meant to post that in The Chat Thread V The Aristocrats !!! :coolio

Offline King Postwhore

• Couch Potato
  • DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #571 on: April 20, 2017, 12:04:22 PM »
That's OK Kotowboy.   

I LIKE SHOUTING! 

And stuff.

Offline mikeyd23

« Reply #572 on: April 21, 2017, 12:49:24 PM »
DirecTV

Offline Chino

• DT.net Veteran
« Reply #573 on: April 24, 2017, 03:48:22 PM »
I just missed my first credit card payment ever. I know it's how they make their money, but they'll send me a late notice the second I'm past due but they can't send out an email 24 hours prior reminding me to make a payment.

Offline Implode

• Lord of the Squids
  • DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #574 on: April 24, 2017, 04:25:02 PM »
That happened to me a couple months ago, Chino. I totally feel you.

Also, at the risk of sounding like a grammar nazi, it really bothers me when people say "heighth".

Offline cramx3

• Chillest of the chill
  • DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #575 on: April 24, 2017, 04:27:53 PM »
Credit card companies are not your friends.  If you treat them right, they can be a great benefit, but the moment they get neglected they fuck you.

Offline ReaperKK

• Sweeter After Difficulty
  • DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #576 on: April 24, 2017, 04:37:27 PM »
I just missed my first credit card payment ever. I know it's how they make their money, but they'll send me a late notice the second I'm past due but they can't send out an email 24 hours prior reminding me to make a payment.

Call them and see if they can remove the late ding on your credit if possible. I did it with my Capitol One payment once and they marked it as On Time.

Offline King Postwhore

• Couch Potato
  • DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #577 on: April 24, 2017, 04:50:05 PM »
May flies.   F U jerks.

Offline pogoowner

• Pancake Bunny
  • DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #578 on: April 24, 2017, 05:13:33 PM »

Call them and see if they can remove the late ding on your credit if possible. I did it with my Capitol One payment once and they marked it as On Time.
Yeah, if it's the first time ever, there's a good chance you can get out of this.

Offline Stadler

• DTF.org Alumni
  • Pointing out the "unfunny" since 2014!
« Reply #579 on: April 25, 2017, 07:22:31 AM »

Yeah, if it's the first time ever, there's a good chance you can get out of this.

Wait, let's clarify here.   

If your statement came, and said "Your minimum payment of $xx.00 is due on April 20, 2017", and you paid it on April 21, then there is no reporting to the credit bureaus, and the worst they can do is charge you a late fee.  They cannot report you to the credit bureaus until you are over 30 days late.   I would pay it as soon as you can, then call them immediately, ask for a manager, and as a one-time courtesy, ask them to reverse the late charge.   If that is all that happens, they will note it in your file, but you will likely never hear about that again.   

If your statement came, and said "Your minimum payment of $xx.00 is due on March 20, 2017", and you paid it on April 21 - thus over 30 days late - then they can, and likely will, report that to the credit bureaus as being "Over 30 days late", which will drop your credit score anywhere from 10 to 40 points, until they report that you are back and current.  That will stay on your credit report for at least two years and likely seven years (though the impact reduces drastically after two years).    I would still pay the amount due, make the account current, and call them.  Speak to a manager, and let them know that you have perfect credit - he can check it if he wants - and that while you recognize it is a generous gesture, you are asking for a one-time customer courtesy that they remove that reporting from the credit bureaus.   

Offline Chino

• DT.net Veteran
« Reply #580 on: April 25, 2017, 09:51:38 AM »
Thanks dudes.

I paid as soon as I got home yesterday. I was about 17 hours late on payment. I was home with the flu last week and paying that card completely skipped my mind. I'm going to try calling on my lunch break and not get hit with the late fee.

Offline lordxizor

• EZBoard Elder
  • and that is the truth.
« Reply #581 on: April 25, 2017, 03:16:17 PM »
I find the trend of calling one's significant other "partner" instead of girl/boyfriend or husband/wife to be mildly irritating. I guess I understand if you're 50 and dating it's silly to call the person your girlfriend, but still... Partner doesn't come close to doing justice to what a spouse or serious girlfriend is. A partner is the guy you own a business with or the person you're paired with in biology lab.

Offline Adami

• Moderator of awesomeness
« Reply #582 on: April 25, 2017, 03:25:52 PM »
Life partners? Romantic partners?

How does "boyfriend" or "girlfriend" sum it up better?
fanticide.bandcamp.com

Offline Phoenix87x

• From the ashes
  • The Phoenix shall rise
« Reply #583 on: April 25, 2017, 03:39:50 PM »
I went through stages. Like first I called her my girlfriend, then I called her my fiance, and then in the last stage I called her my ex  :D

JK  :'(

Offline Prog Snob

• DT.net Veteran
  • In the end we're left infinitely and utterly alone
« Reply #584 on: April 26, 2017, 03:29:57 AM »

Most places these days will have such alerts but you need to check the settings of your account on the website.

Offline BlobVanDam

• Future Boy
  • DTF.org Alumni
  • Transform and rock out!
« Reply #585 on: April 26, 2017, 03:35:05 AM »
I find the trend of calling one's significant other "partner" instead of girl/boyfriend or husband/wife to be mildly irritating. I guess I understand if you're 50 and dating it's silly to call the person your girlfriend, but still... Partner doesn't come close to doing justice to what a spouse or serious girlfriend is. A partner is the guy you own a business with or the person you're paired with in biology lab.

Yeah, I hate that one too. Such an ambiguous term that's too open ended. What's wrong with just telling it like it is?
Only King could mis-spell a LETTER.
Yep. I think the only party in the MP/DT situation that hasn't moved on is DTF.

Offline Chino

• DT.net Veteran
« Reply #586 on: April 26, 2017, 06:56:02 AM »
One of my oldest buddies is getting married this summer. Instead of a bachelor party, his brother decided to throw a bachelor weekend 5 hours away in the Finger Lakes. Eight people are invited including the guy getting married. The groom's brother arranged everything, and none of us were consulted about any of the plans. He just sent out an email last night with the three day itinerary. The way it's looking, he wants $300 from everyone for the house he rented. He booked a farm tour, a winery tour, and a brewery/beer garden tour which we will all have to pay him for as well. Then there's the booze that need to be bought, food for the weekend, strip club, and anything else we end up doing. I'm figuring the weekend will end up costing $450 a person minimum. I'm anticipating to spend closer to $600 because we have to pay for all the groom's stuff all weekend on top of it.

3 of the 7 people invited are pretty much broke. They are nearing 30 and still live at home taking home less than $300 a week after taxes. 1 of them (a groomsman) is backing out, and the other 2 couldn't get Friday off from work, so they're only coming up for Saturday night. Now we're running into some trouble, and truth be told, I'm kind of pissed about it. The guy who is no longer coming will not be paying for any of the stuff reserved for him, and the 2 guys coming up for one night are already talking about how they don't think it's fair for them to have to pay for two nights in the house or the activities they'll be missing on Friday night and Saturday morning.

I guess I'm irritated because this weekend is now probably going to end up costing me and one of the other guys going (one of my best friends) closer to a grand each. Because of our jobs, we tend to bail out the group whenever something like this happens. Had the groom's brother reached out to any of us prior to planning the weekend, all of this would have been made clear. But now everything is reserved or already paid for, and there is nowhere near enough money heading north to pay for it all. And to top it off, the groom is having 3 people in his wedding party either not showing at all, or only partially participating because his brother priced them out of the weekend.
« Last Edit: April 26, 2017, 07:04:38 AM by Chino »

Offline hefdaddy42

• Et in Arcadia Ego
  • Global Moderator
  • Postwhore Emeritus
« Reply #587 on: April 26, 2017, 07:24:19 AM »
That sucks.

Doesn't he know anything about the people he's dealing with?  Seems like that would have been useful information.
Hef is right on all things. Except for when I disagree with him. In which case he's probably still right.

Offline King Postwhore

• Couch Potato
  • DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #588 on: April 26, 2017, 07:27:24 AM »
1 night is good enough to party and I agree what Hef said.

Offline Chino

• DT.net Veteran
« Reply #589 on: April 26, 2017, 07:30:29 AM »
That sucks.

Doesn't he know anything about the people he's dealing with?  Seems like that would have been useful information.

He knows nothing about any (most) of us. I've know the groom for 19 years now and met his brother twice. I feel bad for the groom more than I do my wallet.

Offline hefdaddy42

• Et in Arcadia Ego
  • Global Moderator
  • Postwhore Emeritus
« Reply #590 on: April 26, 2017, 07:34:06 AM »
He didn't ask the groom about his friends?
Hef is right on all things. Except for when I disagree with him. In which case he's probably still right.

Offline Chino

• DT.net Veteran
« Reply #591 on: April 26, 2017, 08:39:35 AM »

I really have no idea. Knowing the groom and his hatred of spoilers, odds are he wanted this weekend to be as much of a surprise as possible. He likely refused to talk to his brother about the plans outside of what weekend and where. He's not selfish, but he's also not one take into account other people's situations. Case in point, a bunch of his friends work low wage retail jobs and he was fine with having a 3 day long bachelor party a few hundred miles away... 

Offline Stadler

• DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #592 on: April 26, 2017, 08:56:07 AM »

Yeah, I hate that one too. Such an ambiguous term that's too open ended. What's wrong with just telling it like it is?

I know I run the risk of sounding (even more) like a grumpy old man (where's Ann Margaret and Sophia Loren when we need them!) but all these parsings of language irritate me to a degree.   I sort of get it that perhaps the literal interpretation is less inclusive than it possibly could be, but I don't at all see how it benefits anyone to put that level of baggage on something that doesn't have any more weight than what we give it.   It's come to be that for me, these alternate words have their own baggage.  There's a pretentiousness with some of them that to me is worse than the vague implications of the original term. 

And while I respect that others might disagree, can anyone HONESTLY say we're better off for the hypocrisy of wanting our cake (we're all the SAME! we're all EQUAL!) and wanting to eat it too ("Hey look at me!  I'm different!")? 

Offline Stadler

• DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #593 on: April 26, 2017, 09:13:36 AM »

I really have no idea. Knowing the groom and his hatred of spoilers, odds are he wanted this weekend to be as much of a surprise as possible. He likely refused to talk to his brother about the plans outside of what weekend and where. He's not selfish, but he's also not one take into account other people's situations. Case in point, a bunch of his friends work low wage retail jobs and he was fine with having a 3 day long bachelor party a few hundred miles away...

The brother is a dick.   Sorry, but if you commit to that kind of affair, you should assume that you foot it and anything you get is a bonus.  I've been (tangentially; I was you Chino) in that situation, and the "brother" reached out to one of the friends to give input.   He (the "brother") ended up paying more than his even split, but knew it going in, and everyone was reasonably happy.   In your case the brother at least ought to be talking to you guys about it.

Offline BlobVanDam

• Future Boy
  • DTF.org Alumni
  • Transform and rock out!
« Reply #594 on: April 26, 2017, 09:17:55 AM »
The brother is a dick.

That. It's one thing if you all agreed to these plans in advance, and then later pulled out, but you can't just spring that shit on people.
Only King could mis-spell a LETTER.
Yep. I think the only party in the MP/DT situation that hasn't moved on is DTF.