Author Topic: Things that I find mildly irritating v.2  (Read 304394 times)

Offline Tomislav95

Re: Things that I find mildly irritating v.2
« Reply #455 on: April 06, 2017, 07:11:16 AM »
When some people in my project team are pieces of shit >:( I can't do my job before they do theirs and they are just keeping silent, not answering on other's messages. The worst thing is one part of it was graded as team effort and I (and some others) had to do their work because we didn't want to lose our points. Thank heavens the other part of the project is graded individually.
Actually, this is the wrong thread, I find this extremely irritating.
...the years just pass like trains
I wave but they don't slow down...

Offline Chino

• Be excellent to each other.
  • DT.net Veteran
« Reply #456 on: April 06, 2017, 07:22:57 AM »
When some people in my project team are pieces of shit >:( I can't do my job before they do theirs and they are just keeping silent, not answering on other's messages. The worst thing is one part of it was graded as team effort and I (and some others) had to do their work because we didn't want to lose our points. Thank heavens the other part of the project is graded individually.

Welcome to adulthood. Just wait until you have to put up with that for life sustaining currency rather than a grade.

Offline Stadler

• DTF.org Alumni
  • Pointing out the "unfunny" since 2014!
« Reply #457 on: April 06, 2017, 07:59:28 AM »

Welcome to adulthood. Just wait until you have to put up with that for life sustaining currency rather than a grade.

That is some truth right there.   In real life there's no teacher to go to to complain "my team was shit; can I do extra credit to improve my grade?"

Offline Train of Naught

• I sympathize, with a cockroach
  • .....and a cockroach
« Reply #458 on: April 06, 2017, 08:08:03 AM »
This is looking to become one of those "I bet you wouldn't last a day in my life" episodes. Time to find out if the working life or the school life is actually tougher.
people on this board are actual music fans who developed taste in music and not casual listeners who are following current fashion trends and listening to only current commercial hits.

Offline Chino

• DT.net Veteran
« Reply #459 on: April 06, 2017, 08:16:22 AM »
This is looking to become one of those "I bet you wouldn't last a day in my life" episodes. Time to find out if the working life or the school life is actually tougher.

TBH, school was way harder as far as workload goes. Life as a whole is more difficult now though.

Offline cramx3

• Chillest of the chill
  • DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #460 on: April 06, 2017, 08:19:57 AM »

TBH, school was way harder as far as workload goes. Life as a whole is more difficult now though.

School was more challenging, but work is more demanding.  For me at least.  A lot more variables and options while in school, but got to stick to schedule and be consistent for work. 

Offline King Postwhore

• Couch Potato
  • DTF.org Alumni
  • Take that Beethoven, you deaf bastard!!
« Reply #461 on: April 06, 2017, 08:26:41 AM »
Life is so much harder as a grown up.  Responsibility as a grown up.
I don't like country music, but I don't mean to denigrate those who do. And for the people who like country music, denigrate means 'put down'.” - Bob Newhart
So wait, we're spelling it wrong and king is spelling it right? What is going on here? :lol -- BlobVanDam
"Oh, I am definitely a jackass!" - TAC

Offline Train of Naught

• .....and a cockroach
« Reply #462 on: April 06, 2017, 08:34:37 AM »

School was more challenging, but work is more demanding.  For me at least.  A lot more variables and options while in school, but got to stick to schedule and be consistent for work.
All seems reasonable. There has never really been a part-time job I enjoyed for more than a few months (though I've stayed at some for longer) and always figured I could figure this stuff out later when I have a job in the direction of my career to boost my motivation, but I guess it's always going to be hard and demanding.

Is life in general also more rewarding to you though? It's probably incomparable but I'd like to hear your thoughts :laugh: and I'm not talking about just the full-time job, but every feature that has come into your life that wasn't there before you became an adult. (I mean, I'm an adult, but 21 and still in college so when I talk about this I mean more like 25-30+)
people on this board are actual music fans who developed taste in music and not casual listeners who are following current fashion trends and listening to only current commercial hits.

Offline Kotowboy

• Yes THAT Kotowboy.
  • DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #463 on: April 06, 2017, 08:43:38 AM »
Life is so much harder as a grown up. 

It really is. And nothing prepares you for it. There's no lessons in school about learning to pay bills or finding a job or any of that bullshit.

Literally as soon as you're an adult it's like - here's all the responsibility in the world - DEAL WITH IT.

Offline Stadler

• DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #464 on: April 06, 2017, 08:47:17 AM »

All seems reasonable. There has never really been a part-time job I enjoyed for more than a few months (though I've stayed at some for longer) and always figured I could figure this stuff out later when I have a job in the direction of my career to boost my motivation, but I guess it's always going to be hard and demanding.

Is life in general also more rewarding to you though? It's probably incomparable but I'd like to hear your thoughts :laugh: and I'm not talking about just the full-time job, but every feature that has come into your life that wasn't there before you became an adult. (I mean, I'm an adult, but 21 and still in college so when I talk about this I mean more like 25-30+)

I think from my perspective, they're just different.   I have three degrees, and I never once ever worried about what that meant to anyone else.  It was all about me, and what I wanted to get out of it versus what I put into it.   I didn't -  much; I have an excellent memory, so 4/5 of any class was me going to class - but if I wanted to lay in and skip that class it was on me.

With work, if I don't deliver, I can't pay my mortgage.  My wife and kids are then on the street.  I can't pay my daughter's tuition, and she's out one of the best opportunities she'll ever have.   Etc. etc.   

And yeah, life is FAR more rewarding.  Other than the D+ I got in Dynamics because the douchebag wrote down my grades one line off from my name and didn't believe me when I showed him a stack of papers with the exact grades of the line below mine) I can't remember ONE grade I got in any class in Undergrad, in Engineering School, in Law School, or in Business School.   But I remember watching my kid at her dance recital.  I remember that time I got my award for Employee of the Year from my company.  I remember my wedding day like it was yesterday...

School is a means to the end.  Life IS that end.   I'm building a story as we speak. 

Offline Stadler

• DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #465 on: April 06, 2017, 08:48:37 AM »

It really is. And nothing prepares you for it. There's no lessons in school about learning to pay bills or finding a job or any of that bullshit.

Literally as soon as you're an adult it's like - here's all the responsibility in the world - DEAL WITH IT.

When you have a family, it's worse than that:  "here's all the responsibility in the world FOR SOMEONE ELSE - DEAL WITH IT (and if you fuck it up, you fuck up someone else's life)."

Offline Tomislav95

« Reply #466 on: April 06, 2017, 08:50:07 AM »
Oh that thing we have to do is actually pretty easy :lol I know they're probably busy with other things but I just can't understand their mindset. "Should I do this homework I need to do on my own or this one where there are people depending on my work? Oh fuck them, and I won't even tell them what's going on".
I'm not talking about how hard and demanding it is but how people have no responsibility and empathy for others. 
...the years just pass like trains
I wave but they don't slow down...

Offline cramx3

• Chillest of the chill
  • DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #467 on: April 06, 2017, 08:51:20 AM »

Yea, I'm not sure I'd say I was truly an adult until I moved out of my parents basement when I turned 25 and into an apartment with my now ex even though I had a full time job after college, I don't think you truly start to experience adult life until you are completely detached from your parents financially. 

It is definitely rewarding to do things like pay off a car loan, get a promotion or a new job, save up for a down payment on a house... all life accomplishments.  Definitely feels good to hit those spots, but at the same time, college was rewarding as well.  Getting a good grade on an exam, graduating on time, winning a drinking contest... all rewarding on some level too. 

I would say things in life tend to become more rewarding because things you accomplish in the past become less rewarding when you accomplish them again.  Such as getting a good grade on an exam.  The more you do it, the less rewarding it feels, but when those good grades lead to a good job offer.  Boom that feels great and then again down the line as you move up and get promotion, same as with those grades, it feels less rewarding in a way because you've felt that accomplishment before.  So you reach for further goals all of which feel more rewarding because they take more time and effort.

I don't particularly believe life gets more difficult, you just get more responsibilities.  You learn how to handle your older responsibilities better and you adjust to the new ones and life goes on.  However, I don't have children, I feel like that is the ultimate responsibility and probably the most rewarding as well.

Offline hefdaddy42

• Et in Arcadia Ego
  • Global Moderator
  • Postwhore Emeritus
« Reply #468 on: April 06, 2017, 08:51:46 AM »

When you have a family, it's worse than that:  "here's all the responsibility in the world FOR SOMEONE ELSE - DEAL WITH IT (and if you fuck it up, you fuck up someone else's life)."
Agreed.
Hef is right on all things. Except for when I disagree with him. In which case he's probably still right.

Offline King Postwhore

• Couch Potato
  • DTF.org Alumni
  • Take that Beethoven, you deaf bastard!!
« Reply #469 on: April 06, 2017, 08:53:36 AM »
Yup.  I've seen families that brought up 2 children with the same values and both come out different and they questioned themselves.  Even when the kids are grown up you still worry.
I don't like country music, but I don't mean to denigrate those who do. And for the people who like country music, denigrate means 'put down'.” - Bob Newhart
So wait, we're spelling it wrong and king is spelling it right? What is going on here? :lol -- BlobVanDam
"Oh, I am definitely a jackass!" - TAC

Offline Train of Naught

• .....and a cockroach
« Reply #470 on: April 06, 2017, 09:33:51 AM »
I think from my perspective, they're just different.   I have three degrees, and I never once ever worried about what that meant to anyone else.  It was all about me, and what I wanted to get out of it versus what I put into it.   I didn't -  much; I have an excellent memory, so 4/5 of any class was me going to class - but if I wanted to lay in and skip that class it was on me.

With work, if I don't deliver, I can't pay my mortgage.  My wife and kids are then on the street.  I can't pay my daughter's tuition, and she's out one of the best opportunities she'll ever have.   Etc. etc.   

And yeah, life is FAR more rewarding.  Other than the D+ I got in Dynamics because the douchebag wrote down my grades one line off from my name and didn't believe me when I showed him a stack of papers with the exact grades of the line below mine) I can't remember ONE grade I got in any class in Undergrad, in Engineering School, in Law School, or in Business School.   But I remember watching my kid at her dance recital.  I remember that time I got my award for Employee of the Year from my company.  I remember my wedding day like it was yesterday...

School is a means to the end.  Life IS that end.   I'm building a story as we speak.

Yea, I'm not sure I'd say I was truly an adult until I moved out of my parents basement when I turned 25 and into an apartment with my now ex even though I had a full time job after college, I don't think you truly start to experience adult life until you are completely detached from your parents financially. 

It is definitely rewarding to do things like pay off a car loan, get a promotion or a new job, save up for a down payment on a house... all life accomplishments.  Definitely feels good to hit those spots, but at the same time, college was rewarding as well.  Getting a good grade on an exam, graduating on time, winning a drinking contest... all rewarding on some level too. 

I would say things in life tend to become more rewarding because things you accomplish in the past become less rewarding when you accomplish them again.  Such as getting a good grade on an exam.  The more you do it, the less rewarding it feels, but when those good grades lead to a good job offer.  Boom that feels great and then again down the line as you move up and get promotion, same as with those grades, it feels less rewarding in a way because you've felt that accomplishment before.  So you reach for further goals all of which feel more rewarding because they take more time and effort.

I don't particularly believe life gets more difficult, you just get more responsibilities.  You learn how to handle your older responsibilities better and you adjust to the new ones and life goes on.  However, I don't have children, I feel like that is the ultimate responsibility and probably the most rewarding as well.

Thanks for the extensive replies :tup it's not that I was worried at all that life right now is not rewarding enough or anything, it definitely is to me, but I was just curious to hear from different perspectives.

Offline Chino

• DT.net Veteran
« Reply #471 on: April 06, 2017, 09:58:40 AM »
I'll be the negative nancy here. I feel like every time I climb a hill and hit a milestone in life, there's another hill immediately following that one, and then another, and another, and then there's getting cancer or some shit and dying. It bums me out actually. I've spent so much time and energy to become an adult to contributes to society, only to continue having to grind away until I'm too frail to do anything but wait for death.

I often question whether it was the right move or not, and the prospect of having kids is the only true motivator I have to 'better' my situation and position in life. I love having a house, don't get me wrong, but the amount of work and headaches that come with it are ridiculous some days. Part of me wishes I could just find a nice condo, a cushy $45K-50K a year job (Victoria too), and never, ever have to cut my grass, clean up leaves, gut drain pipes, clear fallen trees, clear the driveway, etc.. Sure, I could pay someone to do all those things now, but then I'm just working harder in order to afford someone to do the work I'm now working harder to avoid doing.   

Offline cramx3

• Chillest of the chill
  • DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #472 on: April 06, 2017, 10:46:12 AM »
Im all in favor of working harder at my job in terms of saving me from working harder at home personally.  I pay for someone to take care of my lawn.  I did it the first two years of home ownership, it also feels rewarding when you finished a good cut and the lawn looks great... but when you have to deal with broken lawn mowers, figuring out how to get the wires in the trimmer to unravel naturally, purchasing gas and mixing it with oil (especially after someone bumps your car and knocks over that gasoline you just bought causing your car to stink for a long time), and then doing the actual physical work... eh fuck it.  Not worth my time if I can afford it (my lawn is tiny, costs 100 a month to take care of by someone else). 

As for the first part of what Chino wrote, it's pretty much true.  Whenever you get over one hill, there's another bigger one on the horizon.  It never ends, that's life.  I just chose not to view life like that even if I accept that it is reality.  I'd rather see all my obstacles to get over are what leads me to happiness, such as making it to that concert I really wanted to see, or going on a vacation, or forming a lasting relationship with a female. 

Offline kaos2900

« Reply #473 on: April 06, 2017, 11:26:55 AM »
Why do the batteries in smoke detectors only seem to get low enough to beep in the middle of the night?

Offline Adami

• Moderator of awesomeness
« Reply #474 on: April 06, 2017, 11:31:19 AM »
Why do the batteries in smoke detectors only seem to get low enough to beep in the middle of the night?

I know right? That's pretty.......................low of them.

:coolio
fanticide.bandcamp.com

Offline kaos2900

« Reply #475 on: April 06, 2017, 11:45:03 AM »
As this happened to me at 4 this morning, I was thinking about why they can't put an indicator light on the smoke detector that turns yellow or red when the battery needs to be replaced. That way you don't have to guess which detector is beeping.

Offline Chino

• DT.net Veteran
« Reply #476 on: April 06, 2017, 11:48:00 AM »
All of my smoke detectors talk to each other. If someone burns something in the kitchen, all 9 in the house go off. It's really annoying. On the flip side, most of the detectors have a button you can press that disables that particular detector for 5 minutes. If you start burning something in the kitchen, you can push that button and clear out the smoke without having to listen to them scream away. Victoria calls it the "I'm just cooking" button.

Offline cramx3

• Chillest of the chill
  • DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #477 on: April 06, 2017, 12:03:48 PM »

This always seems to be the case.  They never alert you during the day, alsways in the dead of night.  This happened most recently in my hotel room too last month.  4am beeping.   :censored

Offline Chino

• DT.net Veteran
« Reply #478 on: April 07, 2017, 11:23:05 AM »
That somebody made this website and thought "yeah, that's a good looking format"

https://cprr.org/Museum/Chinese.html

Offline BlobVanDam

• Future Boy
  • DTF.org Alumni
  • Transform and rock out!
« Reply #479 on: April 07, 2017, 11:24:28 AM »
I'm sure it was a good format back when they made that site in 1996.
Only King could mis-spell a LETTER.
Yep. I think the only party in the MP/DT situation that hasn't moved on is DTF.

Offline cramx3

• Chillest of the chill
  • DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #480 on: April 07, 2017, 11:27:50 AM »
I'm surprised it's not hosted on geocities.

Offline Prog Snob

• DT.net Veteran
  • In the end we're left infinitely and utterly alone
« Reply #481 on: April 07, 2017, 01:48:47 PM »
*cringes*

Offline pogoowner

• Pancake Bunny
  • DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #482 on: April 08, 2017, 12:33:19 PM »
I'm sure it was a good format back when they made that site in 1996.
Yeah, that pretty much used to be the standard. Looks like one of my high school web design projects, but slightly more hideous.

Offline TioJorge

• Constantly Contorting
  • Ashes to ashes, fun to funky.
« Reply #483 on: April 08, 2017, 03:41:31 PM »
Yeah that's actually not the worst I've seen. I mean it's bad, but there are some out there (mind you, created with a serious mindset and not purposefully to be annoying or cringe inducing) that are actually bad enough to give you a headache. The 90's were just...man, what a time to be introduced into computers and the internet. It was basically the moment that the internet was pimple faced and going through puberty. Awkward, still transitioning into its own self, finding what it likes and doesn't (ass porn wasn't NEEEEEAAARLY as prevalent, much to my chagrin), how to look and act.

*sigh* The nostalgia is strong...

DTP says "WOW, LOOK AT THAT GREAT POST"
RIP DTP.

Offline TAC

• DTF.org Alumni
  • Arthritic Metal Horns
« Reply #484 on: April 08, 2017, 08:07:42 PM »
  I love having a house, don't get me wrong, but the amount of work and headaches that come with it are ridiculous some days. Part of me wishes I could just find a nice condo, a cushy $45K-50K a year job (Victoria too), and never, ever have to cut my grass, clean up leaves, gut drain pipes, clear fallen trees, clear the driveway, etc.. Sure, I could pay someone to do all those things now, but then I'm just working harder in order to afford someone to do the work I'm now working harder to avoid doing.

Life IS cutting the lawn, clearing trees, snowblowing or shoveling your driveway. These are the best things about owning a house. Any day you can wake up healthy enough to do these things is a blessing.
would have thought the same thing but seeing the OP was TAC i immediately thought Maiden or DT related
Winger Theater Forums........or WTF.  ;D
TAC got a higher score than me in the electronic round? Honestly, can I just drop out now? :lol

Online ReaperKK

• Sweeter After Difficulty
  • DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #485 on: April 08, 2017, 08:28:49 PM »
  I love having a house, don't get me wrong, but the amount of work and headaches that come with it are ridiculous some days. Part of me wishes I could just find a nice condo, a cushy $45K-50K a year job (Victoria too), and never, ever have to cut my grass, clean up leaves, gut drain pipes, clear fallen trees, clear the driveway, etc.. Sure, I could pay someone to do all those things now, but then I'm just working harder in order to afford someone to do the work I'm now working harder to avoid doing.

Life IS cutting the lawn, clearing trees, snowblowing or shoveling your driveway. These are the best things about owning a house. Any day you can wake up healthy enough to do these things is a blessing.

I'm a brand new house owner with a brand new house and I'm actually really enjoying the time spent outside doing the lawn and yard work. This will probably wear off over time but for the time being I don't mind.

Offline Ben_Jamin

• I'm just a man, thrown into existence by the gods
« Reply #486 on: April 08, 2017, 08:32:58 PM »

I'm a brand new house owner with a brand new house and I'm actually really enjoying the time spent outside doing the lawn and yard work. This will probably wear off over time but for the time being I don't mind.

I enjoy that time because I usually listen to music while doing the non loud things, I live in the desert so its hoeing weeds, instead of mowing.
I don't know how they can be so proud of winning with them odds. - Little Big Man
Follow my Spotify:BjamminD

Offline TAC

• DTF.org Alumni
  • Arthritic Metal Horns
« Reply #487 on: April 08, 2017, 08:54:53 PM »
Don't get me wrong, I f'n hate doing yardwork. But there's something very peaceful about cutting the lawn. Great music listening time too.
would have thought the same thing but seeing the OP was TAC i immediately thought Maiden or DT related
Winger Theater Forums........or WTF.  ;D
TAC got a higher score than me in the electronic round? Honestly, can I just drop out now? :lol

Offline TioJorge

• Constantly Contorting
  • Ashes to ashes, fun to funky.
« Reply #488 on: April 08, 2017, 09:53:48 PM »
I'll echo the sentiment of hating yard work most of the time (unless I am just feeling horribly lazy and want to get some exercising without actually working out or exercising) but love it for music listening, having the ability to do so at all and to experience that shit called "outdoors" once in a while.

DTP says "WOW, LOOK AT THAT GREAT POST"
RIP DTP.

Online ReaperKK

• Sweeter After Difficulty
  • DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #489 on: April 08, 2017, 11:58:51 PM »
I don't mind it. I haven't experienced it in the summer months but for now when the weather is nice I don't mind being outside.