Author Topic: Things that I find mildly irritating v.2  (Read 304389 times)

Offline Adami

• Moderator of awesomeness
Re: Things that I find mildly irritating v.2
« Reply #315 on: March 14, 2017, 09:14:39 PM »
I'm not saying kids shouldn't see movies. Just in in theaters where their horrible parents can't control them and ruin the experience for others. In this day and age I mean anyone under, say, 14.

I agree they need to be well behaved and it's on the parents for that.

I remember seeing a movie in Israel once (forgot which) and in my row was like 4-5 kids around 11 or 12 years old. They were SO god damn annoying and had no parental supervision. Everyone kept shushing them and they just laughed at them. Eventually the dude in front of them started yelling at them, kids yelled back, dude starts slapping the hell out of the kids. Kids run to get security, security talks to people, kicks out the kids.

Justice.

In America that would have been multiple lawsuits.
fanticide.bandcamp.com

Offline Stadler

• DTF.org Alumni
  • Pointing out the "unfunny" since 2014!
« Reply #316 on: March 15, 2017, 08:38:33 AM »
I'm not saying kids shouldn't see movies. Just in in theaters where their horrible parents can't control them and ruin the experience for others. In this day and age I mean anyone under, say, 14.

I agree they need to be well behaved and it's on the parents for that.

I remember seeing a movie in Israel once (forgot which) and in my row was like 4-5 kids around 11 or 12 years old. They were SO god damn annoying and had no parental supervision. Everyone kept shushing them and they just laughed at them. Eventually the dude in front of them started yelling at them, kids yelled back, dude starts slapping the hell out of the kids. Kids run to get security, security talks to people, kicks out the kids.

Justice.

In America that would have been multiple lawsuits.

It's all the parents fault.  Seriously.    My aunt and uncle (they didn't have kids) loved to take me, my brother and my cousin out for the movies, and we LOVED it.   Herbie.   All those great 70's kids movies.    And my dad made clear - not with violence, but with clear direction - that any bad report meant a) no more movies, and b) other bad shit when we got home (no bike; no lake; no something).  And we didn't.   Boom.   Being an asshole in the theater was never an option.

Offline hefdaddy42

• Et in Arcadia Ego
  • Global Moderator
  • Postwhore Emeritus
« Reply #317 on: March 15, 2017, 01:12:14 PM »
^Same here^

We didn't go very often, but when we did, we were well-behaved.
Hef is right on all things. Except for when I disagree with him. In which case he's probably still right.

Offline cramx3

• Chillest of the chill
  • DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #318 on: March 15, 2017, 01:40:27 PM »
When I was growing up, I used to love hanging at certain friends houses or have their parents take us out.  The reason being is because these friends I mention had parents who "didn't care" as my parents would say and let their kids (my friends) do what they want so therefore I could get away with doing things my parents wouldn't let me.  Such as maybe see an R rated movie.  It's just funny because as a kid, I didn't get what my parents were saying, but it makes a lot more sense as I get older.  I can remember being a dick in the theaters hanging with these friends, but being a very good kid when I was with my parents (and so were my friends). 

Offline King Postwhore

• Couch Potato
  • DTF.org Alumni
  • Take that Beethoven, you deaf bastard!!
« Reply #319 on: March 15, 2017, 01:44:12 PM »
I've yelled at grown ups who don't know how to act in a theater. 
I don't like country music, but I don't mean to denigrate those who do. And for the people who like country music, denigrate means 'put down'.” - Bob Newhart
So wait, we're spelling it wrong and king is spelling it right? What is going on here? :lol -- BlobVanDam
"Oh, I am definitely a jackass!" - TAC

Offline hefdaddy42

• Et in Arcadia Ego
  • Global Moderator
  • Postwhore Emeritus
« Reply #320 on: March 15, 2017, 03:54:42 PM »

When my kids and I saw Rogue One, right before the movie started a douchenozzle had his phone on, and it was REALLY bright in that dark theater.  One good female citizen from the back of the theater yelled "TURN OFF YOUR FUCKING PHONE!"

He did.
Hef is right on all things. Except for when I disagree with him. In which case he's probably still right.

Offline Phoenix87x

• From the ashes
  • The Phoenix shall rise
« Reply #321 on: March 15, 2017, 04:03:04 PM »
All of that is why I rarely go to the theater anymore.

And this may just be me looking through rose colored nostalgia glasses, but I definitely do not remember it being this bad back in the 90's. But I could be wrong, i was young.

Offline Chino

• Be excellent to each other.
  • DT.net Veteran
« Reply #322 on: March 16, 2017, 06:25:02 AM »

When my kids and I saw Rogue One, right before the movie started a douchenozzle had his phone on, and it was REALLY bright in that dark theater.  One good female citizen from the back of the theater yelled "TURN OFF YOUR FUCKING PHONE!"

He did.

Adding to this... when kids are snap chatting during the movie and use the forward screen flash feature.

Offline King Postwhore

• Couch Potato
  • DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #323 on: March 16, 2017, 06:30:25 AM »
As soon as the lights go down my cell phone is turned off and in my pocket.
I don't like country music, but I don't mean to denigrate those who do. And for the people who like country music, denigrate means 'put down'.” - Bob Newhart
So wait, we're spelling it wrong and king is spelling it right? What is going on here? :lol -- BlobVanDam

Offline Phoenix87x

• From the ashes
  • The Phoenix shall rise
« Reply #324 on: March 16, 2017, 07:26:05 AM »
The last movie I went to see in the theater was Batman V Superman and it was a really bad experience. From people yelling at the screen, to people with their infants, to the parent in the row in front of me that had a bright and loud Ipad with a children's show on it for their 4 year old.

It was a nightmare

Offline King Postwhore

• Couch Potato
  • DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #325 on: March 16, 2017, 07:37:11 AM »
If a child is too young to watch a movie, especially one not suited for them get a babysitter.  I would gladly babysit my nephew so my brother and sis in law could have a night out.

Offline Kotowboy

• Yes THAT Kotowboy.
  • DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #326 on: March 16, 2017, 09:50:15 AM »
When you're driving the speed limit and some dickhead SCREAMS past you at almost 20mph over it.

Revving the engine like a wanker.

:facepalm:

It's ok though. I just remind myself I'm obeying the law and they're making up for having a tiny tiny willy

:hat

Offline lordxizor

• EZBoard Elder
  • and that is the truth.
« Reply #327 on: March 16, 2017, 03:37:38 PM »
It's even worse when you're going 10 over the speed limit and someone does that.

Offline lordxizor

• EZBoard Elder
  • and that is the truth.
« Reply #328 on: March 16, 2017, 03:39:59 PM »
Lately I've been mildly annoyed at people asking a crazy amount of money for their used stuff on Craigslist. I don't care if you were stupid and paid $5000 for you king bed frame, I am not going to pay $3000 for it a year later when you decided to move and can't take it with you.

Offline Kotowboy

• Yes THAT Kotowboy.
  • DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #329 on: March 16, 2017, 03:46:15 PM »
What about when you BUY a guitar brand new for like £650

Then a few years later you find them brand new going for half of that so if you sell it - people are gonna wanna pay even less than half of what you originally paid.

Offline King Postwhore

• Couch Potato
  • DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #330 on: March 16, 2017, 04:04:40 PM »
Seeing people wash their cars a day after a big snowstorm.   All this snow needs to melt. I just don't understand why.

Offline Stadler

• DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #331 on: March 17, 2017, 06:36:17 AM »
When you're driving the speed limit and some dickhead SCREAMS past you at almost 20mph over it.

Revving the engine like a wanker.

:facepalm:

It's ok though. I just remind myself I'm obeying the law and they're making up for having a tiny tiny willy

:hat
It's even worse when you're going 10 over the speed limit and someone does that.

When you're trying to get where you're going and some wanker insists on going exactly the speed limit and won't move over, change lanes, or allow you to pass safely. 

:)  :)  :)   :)  :) 

Offline Stadler

• DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #332 on: March 17, 2017, 06:40:52 AM »
Seeing people wash their cars a day after a big snowstorm.   All this snow needs to melt. I just don't understand why.

I always try to do that, and here's why:   cars don't rust unless there are two conditions: they are wet, and there is some salt (in the chemical sense) on the car.    That melting snow, with the sprayed up road salt/water mixture all over the car finish, is inevitably moving you ever closer to a rusted out shell of a vehicle.   It's probably minor in the grand scheme of things (like brushing your teeth more than twice a day) but every little bit helps, and that first wash, gets you a clean slate for the slush-fest that happens inevitably a week or so after a big snow storm.  I have yet to have a car with even a blotch of rust on it that wasn't there when I got the car (and I've held on to some of my cars; I had a Volvo S60 for 12 years, and a Ford Explorer for about 10.  Shouldn't surprise anyone that I lost the Ford in my divorce, and within two years it's engine seized and rot had begun to creep in around the rear tire wells. Not my problem, as they say.)   

Offline King Postwhore

• Couch Potato
  • DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #333 on: March 17, 2017, 06:49:10 AM »
I get it but there is so much snow that you would have to go multiple times a week.  I just wait until the snow melts then do it.  It just tickled me that the next day after 20 inches of so so many were washing their cars when the very next day it will be right back to the condition it was.

Offline Chino

• DT.net Veteran
« Reply #334 on: March 17, 2017, 09:24:10 AM »
We get five paid holidays in the second half of the year, but only two in the first half, one of which is the first day of the year.

Offline cramx3

• Chillest of the chill
  • DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #335 on: March 17, 2017, 09:27:46 AM »

My good friend owns a car wash, he calls snow money.  He's so busy the day after a snow storm.  It's not really just the snow itself, it's actually the salt that drives people to the car wash.  He jokes a lot about getting a truck to just dump salt on the ground so people come to his wash.

We get five paid holidays in the second half of the year, but only two in the first half, one of which is the first day of the year.

So no President's Day or MLK day I guess?

Offline Chino

• DT.net Veteran
« Reply #336 on: March 17, 2017, 09:29:54 AM »

So no President's Day or MLK day I guess?

Negative... Unamerican racist fucks!

Offline Stadler

• DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #337 on: March 17, 2017, 10:12:29 AM »

That's weak.   I don't think I've ever worked for a company that gave less than 10 holidays.

New Year's
either President's Day or MLK
Memorial Day
Independence Day (usually two days)
Labor Day
Veteran's Day
Thanksgiving (two days)
Christmas (usually two days)

Plus a floater or two. 

Offline Chino

• DT.net Veteran
« Reply #338 on: March 17, 2017, 10:37:48 AM »

That's weak.   I don't think I've ever worked for a company that gave less than 10 holidays.

New Year's
either President's Day or MLK
Memorial Day
Independence Day (usually two days)
Labor Day
Veteran's Day
Thanksgiving (two days)
Christmas (usually two days)

Plus a floater or two.

We get two floaters as well. Those are basically bonus vacation days. Two days for Christmas? Nice. We get two for Thanksgiving at least.

Offline hefdaddy42

• Et in Arcadia Ego
  • Global Moderator
  • Postwhore Emeritus
« Reply #339 on: March 17, 2017, 10:45:28 AM »
Monday, January 02, 2017   New Year's Day
Monday, January 16, 2017   Martin Luther King Jr.'s Birthday
Friday, April 14, 2017   Good Friday
Monday, May 29, 2017   Memorial Day
Tuesday, July 04, 2017   Independence Day
Monday, September 04, 2017   Labor Day
Thursday, November 23, 2017   Thanksgiving
Friday, November 24, 2017   Day after Thanksgiving
Monday, December 25, 2017   Christmas Day
Tuesday, December 26, 2017   Tuesday after Christmas

That's what we get.  We also get our birthday as a holiday.

Offline cramx3

• Chillest of the chill
  • DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #340 on: March 17, 2017, 11:29:04 AM »
We get the entire week between Christmas and New Years so I can't complain.  Christmas Eve is typically a half day and/or work from home.

Offline mikeyd23

« Reply #341 on: March 17, 2017, 11:38:01 AM »
Yeah I think we get 10 holidays per year as the standard.

Offline eric42434224

• Wilson
« Reply #342 on: March 18, 2017, 06:27:39 PM »
I get 23 paid vacation days, but included in those are the observed holidays (like Xmas, July 4th, etc.).  I also get 6 paid sick days.
Oh shit, you're right!

rumborak

Rumborak to me 10/29

Offline pogoowner

• Pancake Bunny
  • DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #343 on: March 18, 2017, 07:08:55 PM »
I get:

New Year's
Memorial Day
Independence Day
Labor Day
Thanksgiving and Black Friday
Christmas

Which is a big step up from when I worked retail, when all I got was Christmas Day.

Offline KevShmev

• EZBoard Elder
« Reply #344 on: March 18, 2017, 09:08:01 PM »
I get:

New Year's
Memorial Day
Independence Day
Labor Day
Christmas

Which is a big step up from when I worked retail, when all I got was Christmas Day.

That's what we get, except for Black Friday.  Which is fine since that day is really slow and they let us out by noon anyway (and still pay us for the whole day).

Offline ReaperKK

• Sweeter After Difficulty
  • DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #345 on: March 19, 2017, 07:13:16 AM »
I get:

New Year's
Memorial Day
Independence Day
Labor Day
Christmas

Same here. When I worked retail we got to choose one of the big holidays off; Thanksgiving, New Years, or Christmas and work the rest.

Offline Kotowboy

• Yes THAT Kotowboy.
  • DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #346 on: March 19, 2017, 08:10:22 AM »
- - - SHUT UP ABOUT HOLIDAYS - - -

Recently I've seen a few fairly cute girls who are going out with guys who look like cavemen and are

completely ignoring them and just sitting there glued to their phones or whatever. :(

Why do girls like such unevolved sacks of crap?

They're attractive enough they could easily find someone who appreciates them.

Offline pogoowner

• Pancake Bunny
  • DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #347 on: March 19, 2017, 08:21:33 AM »
While I understand your frustration, I would caution you against judging someone's relationship based on a few minutes of seeing them out in public.

Offline Kotowboy

• Yes THAT Kotowboy.
  • DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #348 on: March 19, 2017, 08:40:39 AM »
While I understand your frustration, I would caution you against judging someone's relationship based on a few minutes of seeing them out in public.

not only out in public although that is a part of it.

Offline eric42434224

• Wilson
« Reply #349 on: March 19, 2017, 11:19:57 AM »
- - - SHUT UP ABOUT HOLIDAYS - - -

Recently I've seen a few fairly cute girls who are going out with guys who look like cavemen and are

completely ignoring them and just sitting there glued to their phones or whatever. :(

Why do girls like such unevolved sacks of crap?

They're attractive enough they could easily find someone who appreciates them.

Perhaps it is a better alternative that dating someone that evaluates worth on their appearance, judges others in a few moments, and is constantly complaining about everything?
Oh shit, you're right!

rumborak

Rumborak to me 10/29