Author Topic: Things that I find mildly irritating v.2  (Read 304380 times)

Offline Chino

• Be excellent to each other.
  • DT.net Veteran
Re: Things that I find mildly irritating v.2
« Reply #245 on: March 01, 2017, 06:48:52 AM »
I went to the gym last night. Machine after machine being occupied by people just sitting and staring into their phones. How about you either use the equipment or get off? It's not a seat. It's not your personal equipment. Can anyone go 5 minutes without looking at their phone? I like to go from machine to machine, and get the workout done quickly because I hate being there and how many times do I have to go to desired machine only to see Joe Blow sitting there texting or on Facebook? I once saw a guy with an ipad streaming a video on one machine while he worked out on the machine next to it!

The gym rules are no cell phones on the machines but none of the gym personnel (who basically do nothing) does anything to stop it.

OK I feel better now.  :-X

I'd start taking pictures of everyone on the machines using their phones and start posting them to the gym's Facebook page. I'd add the caption "why I'm leaving" to each one.

Offline hefdaddy42

• Et in Arcadia Ego
  • Global Moderator
  • Postwhore Emeritus
« Reply #246 on: March 01, 2017, 06:53:47 AM »
I went to the gym last night. Machine after machine being occupied by people just sitting and staring into their phones. How about you either use the equipment or get off? It's not a seat. It's not your personal equipment. Can anyone go 5 minutes without looking at their phone? I like to go from machine to machine, and get the workout done quickly because I hate being there and how many times do I have to go to desired machine only to see Joe Blow sitting there texting or on Facebook? I once saw a guy with an ipad streaming a video on one machine while he worked out on the machine next to it!

The gym rules are no cell phones on the machines but none of the gym personnel (who basically do nothing) does anything to stop it.

OK I feel better now.  :-X

I'd start taking pictures of everyone on the machines using their phones and start posting them to the gym's Facebook page. I'd add the caption "why I'm leaving" to each one.
Surely that is improper using of social media to bully someone?

:neverusethis:
Hef is right on all things. Except for when I disagree with him. In which case he's probably still right.

Offline Randaran

• The Fate of Destruction is also the Joy of Rebirth
« Reply #247 on: March 01, 2017, 10:58:08 PM »
When there are double doors, and people use the one to their left. This is especially infuriating when I am trying to enter a building, as the door they are using tends to be the only one with a handle on my side.
Only a prog fan would try to measure how much they enjoy a song by an equation. :lol
My anime can beat up your anime.

Offline Adami

• Moderator of awesomeness
« Reply #248 on: March 01, 2017, 11:01:19 PM »
When there are double doors, and people use the one to their left. This is especially infuriating when I am trying to enter a building, as the door they are using tends to be the only one with a handle on my side.

God damn leftists.
fanticide.bandcamp.com

Offline RoeDent

• 2006 Time Magazine Person of the Year
« Reply #249 on: March 02, 2017, 01:56:14 AM »
There isn't a music version of a thread like this, so...

Massive  :facepalm: at the incredibly common act of dismissing a band/artist because they sound similar to another band/artist. Especially if the people in question actually like the other band/artist. That should be a reason to enjoy the new one, not dismiss them! It gives you a familiar point of reference to connect with, and get into the new music.

Another one, a milder one this time. There have been more than a few prog albums in recent years where the epic is placed 2nd-to-last, followed by a comedown track to actually end the album. It's starting to become a bit cliché now. Let's go back to the time honoured way of placing the epic last.
« Last Edit: March 02, 2017, 02:12:21 AM by RoeDent »

Offline Kotowboy

• Yes THAT Kotowboy.
  • DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #250 on: March 02, 2017, 04:48:44 AM »
People - mainly who host TV Shows on YouTube shows who try to be all cool.

Like if they're talking about guitars - they're constantly like " This guitar of wood and metal magic sounds incredible for the 450 of your hard earned imperial credits. Now lets see how it sounds

with some Dis-tor-Shee-Owwwwn !!!!!! "

( Rob Chapman basically. I want to watch the videos for the gear - but I cannot bear him ).

Offline Kotowboy

• Yes THAT Kotowboy.
  • DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #251 on: March 03, 2017, 02:51:53 AM »
Anytime you're uploading / downloading anything and the progress bar just stops at 100%....

Or when you mash the "back" button on a web page but all it does is refresh the page you're on.
« Last Edit: March 03, 2017, 05:04:51 AM by Kotowboy »

Offline Chino

• DT.net Veteran
« Reply #252 on: March 03, 2017, 06:01:48 AM »

I'll piggyback this. I hate when there are double doors and one of them is locked.

Offline Snow Dog

« Reply #253 on: March 03, 2017, 07:08:31 AM »

I'll piggyback this. I hate when there are double doors and one of them is locked.

And I'll piggyback this as well. How about when there are double doors, but people are simultaneously entering and exiting through only one of them. Because it's too much effort to, you know, open the other one too?

Offline Kotowboy

• Yes THAT Kotowboy.
  • DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #254 on: March 03, 2017, 07:09:38 AM »
Holding the door for someone who completely blanks you.

Someone holding the door for you so you have to speed up when you were deliberately hanging back.

Offline chknptpie

• DTF.org Member
« Reply #255 on: March 03, 2017, 07:18:15 AM »

Offline Kotowboy

• Yes THAT Kotowboy.
  • DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #256 on: March 03, 2017, 07:23:38 AM »
The other day I was standing on the pavement / kerb / sidewalk...Nowhere near a pedestrian crossing - not even facing the road when I hear screeching tyres and some

guy raced past me giving me daggers and mouthing insults...

:angry: i didn't even want to cross the road. Idiot.

My social anxiety makes me feel really awkward as it is.. making people wait for me at crossings so i can cross the road is really annoying. I'da rather wait til there are no cars coming.

Then something like that happens and i'm like :( greeeaaaat.

Offline Phoenix87x

• From the ashes
  • The Phoenix shall rise
« Reply #257 on: March 03, 2017, 01:40:22 PM »
With the door thing, I have learned to just take a glance out of my peripheral vision to get a sense of how far the person is behind me or in front of me and then I just adjust my walking speed a little bit so that we get there at about the same time and it is no longer awkward in any capacity.

Offline Architeuthis

« Reply #258 on: March 03, 2017, 02:31:23 PM »
Auto-correct!  >:(
You can do a lot in a lifetime if you don't burn out too fast, you can make the most of the distance, first you need endurance first you've got to last....... NP

Offline Prog Snob

• DT.net Veteran
  • In the end we're left infinitely and utterly alone
« Reply #259 on: March 03, 2017, 05:43:53 PM »
Disable it

Offline Kotowboy

• Yes THAT Kotowboy.
  • DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #260 on: March 07, 2017, 05:30:15 AM »
Nah that takes even longer. Then you have to carefully type in each word really slowly making sure each letter is correct.

Auto correct can be frustrating - the other day i tried to type the word 'keys' like 4 times and it kept changing it to 'let's'..

BUT it's still faster than without it.

Offline Chino

• DT.net Veteran
« Reply #261 on: March 07, 2017, 06:30:48 AM »
Autocorrect is the greatest possible thing that could have ever happened to texting.

Offline King Postwhore

• Couch Potato
  • DTF.org Alumni
  • Take that Beethoven, you deaf bastard!!
« Reply #262 on: March 07, 2017, 06:33:59 AM »
Autocorrect is the greatest possible thing that could have ever happened to texting.

It still doesn't help me. :lol
I don't like country music, but I don't mean to denigrate those who do. And for the people who like country music, denigrate means 'put down'.” - Bob Newhart
So wait, we're spelling it wrong and king is spelling it right? What is going on here? :lol -- BlobVanDam
"Oh, I am definitely a jackass!" - TAC

Offline Chino

• DT.net Veteran
« Reply #263 on: March 07, 2017, 07:26:51 AM »
People that tag a million things in their Craigslist posts. Just for shits, I was looking for commerical waffle irons (already have one but like looking) and was getting results for things like forklifts and pantry shelving.

Offline ReaperKK

• Sweeter After Difficulty
  • DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #264 on: March 07, 2017, 08:42:06 AM »
Something that really pissed me off this morning is my Office stopped working. Can't uninstall it to reinstall it without getting an error code so now I have to remove it manually. This is what I get when I pay for Office. You know what worked every time without issue? My pirated copy, shame on me for paying for it.

Offline rumborak

• DT.net Veteran
« Reply #265 on: March 07, 2017, 08:53:30 AM »
My occasional pet peeve: you show up alone at a restaurant, and the restaurant is deserted because it's the middle of the day. However, the waiter will direct you to the shittiest table in the premise, crammed into a corner, just because it's the only single table they have.
If there's no reason to believe that there will be a flash mob showing up in the next hour, give the customer a proper table, dammit.
"I liked when Myung looked like a women's figure skating champion."

Offline ReaperKK

• Sweeter After Difficulty
  • DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #266 on: March 07, 2017, 02:40:27 PM »
I've had that happen on a few occasions and I just asked to be seated somewhere else. It's rare but it does happen and it annoys me.

Offline Kotowboy

• Yes THAT Kotowboy.
  • DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #267 on: March 07, 2017, 02:50:08 PM »

It still doesn't help me. :lol

You just need to read your posts before you press Post. Or at least after you Post and click Modify. *shrug*

Offline King Postwhore

• Couch Potato
  • DTF.org Alumni
  • Take that Beethoven, you deaf bastard!!
« Reply #268 on: March 07, 2017, 03:40:55 PM »
I completely agree.  I have no answers why I don't.
I don't like country music, but I don't mean to denigrate those who do. And for the people who like country music, denigrate means 'put down'.” - Bob Newhart
So wait, we're spelling it wrong and king is spelling it right? What is going on here? :lol -- BlobVanDam
"Oh, I am definitely a jackass!" - TAC

Offline Kotowboy

• Yes THAT Kotowboy.
  • DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #269 on: March 07, 2017, 03:42:06 PM »
:getoffmylawn:

Offline Stadler

• DTF.org Alumni
  • Pointing out the "unfunny" since 2014!
« Reply #270 on: March 13, 2017, 07:59:47 AM »

My daughter and I sat on the couch one night and texted each other back and forth; only rule was, you had to use the voice input thing, and you had to hit send as the phone auto-corrected it; you could not self-correct anything.   We laughed like idiots for an hour.   

Offline soupytwist

• Star Trekkin
« Reply #271 on: March 13, 2017, 09:32:00 AM »

My social anxiety makes me feel really awkward as it is.. making people wait for me at crossings so i can cross the road is really annoying. I'da rather wait til there are no cars coming.

I can totally get behind this.  I'm cool with crossings when there is a light system in place, so everyone (vehicle and pedestrian) are fully aware of the rules.   But we got one of the Zebra crossings in our village, and I hate using it - if i'm heading towards it and can hear cars coming, I'll hold back/slow down, I had and seen so much confusing on the crossing (it's on a bend) that'd I'd rather wait for a empty road before stepping out.

Offline Chino

• DT.net Veteran
« Reply #272 on: March 13, 2017, 09:51:01 AM »

My daughter and I sat on the couch one night and texted each other back and forth; only rule was, you had to use the voice input thing, and you had to hit send as the phone auto-corrected it; you could not self-correct anything.   We laughed like idiots for an hour.

My sister and I used to play a game when we were kids. We each had a blackboard and would sit across from each other so the other couldn't see what we were writing. We'd alternate turns writing out a word (first having to declare printing or cursive) and trying to have the other guess what we wrote just based on the sound the chalk was making. It was actually a lot more fun than it sounds.

Offline Ben_Jamin

• I'm just a man, thrown into existence by the gods
« Reply #273 on: March 13, 2017, 12:23:01 PM »
People making fun of Vegans. Sometimes, its a choice you make to better your health. My dad had got tired of insulin, since he packed the wrong vial(it was pretty much empty). Now he's strictly vegan doesn't eat anything that's greasy as it makes sugar. Since then he's been insulin free and more healthier. He's trying to help our community get off that insulin but so many people are stubborn.
I don't know how they can be so proud of winning with them odds. - Little Big Man
Follow my Spotify:BjamminD

Offline Kotowboy

• Yes THAT Kotowboy.
  • DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #274 on: March 13, 2017, 12:26:08 PM »
I have zero problem with anyone being vegan.

Like most people it's the ones who are self righteous about it and have to remind everyone that grind our gears.

Offline Adami

« Reply #275 on: March 13, 2017, 12:28:28 PM »
Yet no one talks about the self-righteous meat eaters who go around talking about how everyone should eat meat, how bacon is god's gift the palate, and how vegetarians are weak pathetic losers.

Such is life I guess.
fanticide.bandcamp.com

Offline hefdaddy42

• Et in Arcadia Ego
  • Global Moderator
  • Postwhore Emeritus
« Reply #276 on: March 13, 2017, 12:36:13 PM »
I don't think vegetarians are losers. 

I really don't care what people eat.  I have more important stuff to worry about than that.

I will admit that I don't really understand, at a fundamental level, veganism.  But, at the same time, it doesn't matter that I don't understand, because I also don't care, and they should do whatever they do.

Don't try to inform me, because, again, I don't care.
Hef is right on all things. Except for when I disagree with him. In which case he's probably still right.

Offline Kotowboy

• Yes THAT Kotowboy.
  • DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #277 on: March 13, 2017, 12:36:38 PM »
Yet no one talks about the self-righteous meat eaters who go around talking about how everyone should eat meat, how bacon is god's gift the palate, and how vegetarians are weak pathetic losers.

Such is life I guess.

Bacon isn't even that great.

Offline Adami

« Reply #278 on: March 13, 2017, 12:37:19 PM »
I don't think vegetarians are losers. 

I really don't care what people eat.  I have more important stuff to worry about than that.

I will admit that I don't really understand, at a fundamental level, veganism.  But, at the same time, it doesn't matter that I don't understand, because I also don't care, and they should do whatever they do.

Don't try to inform me, because, again, I don't care.

I wouldn't ever call you a self-righteous meat eater.

I'd call you a righteous meat eater.
fanticide.bandcamp.com

Offline Kotowboy

• Yes THAT Kotowboy.
  • DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #279 on: March 13, 2017, 12:38:00 PM »
And he *IS* himself....  :justjen