Author Topic: Things that I find mildly irritating v.2  (Read 307206 times)

Offline Samsara

• Queensr˙che Biographer and Historian
  • DTF.org Alumni
  • Memory flows...like a river.
Re: Things that I find mildly irritating v.2
« Reply #1645 on: October 19, 2018, 10:30:36 AM »
Here's something I find mildly irritating...when you get to the office, having eaten your breakfast at 6 a.m., and then by 9 a.m. you're so hungry, you eat your damn lunch, and now face the decision whether to be a pig around Noon and get something, or starve until dinner.  >:(
Roads to Madness: The Touring History of Queensr˙che (1981-1997) - At the printer! Out in May 2024!

Pre-order now at www.roadstomadness.com!

Offline Dublagent66

• Devouring consciousness...
  • DTF.org Alumni
  • ...Digesting power
« Reply #1646 on: October 19, 2018, 10:38:21 AM »
Reading some of these posts doesn't really seem to indicate "mildly". :lol  For me, mildly irritating doesn't exist.  Something is either irritating or it's not.  No grey area there.

"Two things are infinite; the universe and human stupidity; and I'm not sure about the universe." -Albert Einstein
"There's not a pill you can take.  There's not a class you can go to.  Stupid is foreva."  -Ron White

Offline pg1067

« Reply #1647 on: October 19, 2018, 11:52:05 AM »
Reading some of these posts doesn't really seem to indicate "mildly". :lol  For me, mildly irritating doesn't exist.  Something is either irritating or it's not.  No grey area there.

I think "mildly irritating" means something that's bothersome but about which you either can't do anything or which isn't sufficiently bothersome to warrant the effort of taking action.

My example of the day:  When I walk into a stall in the restroom where I work and the prior occupant of the stall has left half of his ass gasket on the seat.
"There's a bass solo in a song called Metropolis where I do a bass solo."  John Myung

Offline Samsara

• DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #1648 on: October 19, 2018, 01:21:57 PM »

I think "mildly irritating" means something that's bothersome but about which you either can't do anything or which isn't sufficiently bothersome to warrant the effort of taking action.

My example of the day:  When I walk into a stall in the restroom where I work and the prior occupant of the stall has left half of his ass gasket on the seat.

F that. That's not mildly irritating. That's enraged, find out who did it and litter his office with ass gaskets anger.  :lol
Roads to Madness: The Touring History of Queensr˙che (1981-1997) - At the printer! Out in May 2024!

Offline Dublagent66

• Devouring consciousness...
  • DTF.org Alumni
  • ...Digesting power
« Reply #1649 on: October 19, 2018, 02:58:33 PM »
The fact that I can't do anything about it and/or it's not worth the effort is what makes it even more irritating.   :justjen

It's like what George Carlin said once, "I don't have pet peeves.  I have major psychotic fucking hatreds".  :rollin
"Two things are infinite; the universe and human stupidity; and I'm not sure about the universe." -Albert Einstein
"There's not a pill you can take.  There's not a class you can go to.  Stupid is foreva."  -Ron White

Offline bosk1

• King of Misdirection
  • Administrator
  • Bow down to Boskaryus
« Reply #1650 on: October 19, 2018, 03:06:22 PM »
:lol
"The Supreme Court of the United States has descended from the disciplined legal reasoning of John Marshall and Joseph Story to the mystical aphorisms of the fortune cookie."

Offline Evermind

• DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #1651 on: October 19, 2018, 03:31:37 PM »
"Use the car roads as a priority" meaning prioritizing bikes using the roads over sidewalks, or having bikes as a priority over cars on the road?

I apologize if I sounded harsh (but this is the mildly irritating thread, aren't allowed a little leeway? :)) I appreciate your courtesy as you described, and wish other bicyclists acted similarly. I should have quoted that part and not emphasized my disdain for a mentality you are working against as well.

I too apologize for that outburst. Yesterday was, uh, difficult for me. I shouldn't have reacted that way.

I meant that as prioritizing bikes using the roads over sidewalks, yeah. It says that whenever you can use the road, you should use the road. If you can't use the road for whatever reason (if you can't legally make a turn — you can't do left turns on the bicycle if the road has more than one lane in each direction, which is completely reasonable, or if you deem it unsafe, for example), you should use the sidewalk. As most of the cyclists are somehow dickheads, here's what happens. If you use the road, some drivers would get mad at you (some would even attempt to scare you directing the car right into you then steer back into the lane - that's rare and happened only two times in three years, but that's so fucked up I feel I should mention it), if you use the sidewalk, some people on it would rage because you're not supposed to be there.

It's really a no-win situation. And I mean, it's not that bad, usually I'm able to get through it without any trouble — I'm leaving home at about 5:45 a.m. in the morning so there's almost no traffic, but sometimes on the commute back shit happens. Like maybe once a week or two.
This first band is Soen very cool swingy jazz fusion kinda stuff.

Offline Train of Naught

• I sympathize, with a cockroach
  • .....and a cockroach
« Reply #1652 on: October 22, 2018, 05:44:04 AM »
Having to dodge bikers when walking down the sidewalk. Where I live it seems to be commonly accepted to bike on sidewalks and the excuse I have heard the most is that they do it because the bike roads are sometimes made of cobblestone which is hard to ride a bike on. So you choose to ride a bike, but you will put others' safety at stake because you don't feel safe on your designated lane? I wouldn't even mind if they did it carefully, slowing down when nearing and/or passing by a pedestrian, but these people more often than not go full speed and don't look out for pedestrians at all. Every day when I'm walking to work I have to be on the lookout for bikes flying by to prevent getting bumped into. It's mostly how they act like they're in the right and everyone has to step aside for them even though they are on the wrong lane.. ugh

*end of rant*

Wait, is it about Berlin or Netherlands? Because I've never saw anyone biking on sidewalks during my 10-days stay in Rotterdam. Everyone used the bike roads.

I frequently bike to work from April to end of October if weather is alright (did that today too), and as there are no designated bike roads (we have them in the center of our city and in the parks, and everyone ignores the latter ones), I usually use the actual road for cars. However, sometimes it's just not really safe to use the car roads - we have a speed limit of 60 kmph, except you get the ticket only if you went over 80 kmph, 60-80 is just a verbal warning and no one cares about that so effectively the speed limit is 80 kmph.

So, well, sometimes I have to use the sidewalks, but I never go faster than the pedestrians if I don't have enough room to pass. I'll get off the bike if necessary. I've never used the, uh, bicycle bell (is that how it's called?) in three years of using those rental bikes. That's just idiotic. I'm on the road for pedestrians, I'm a guest here, I have to accommodate to them, not the other way around. However, about 8 cyclists out of 10 do what you just described. So people just lump every cyclist on the sidewalk in the 'asshole' category.

Also, the 'cobblestones' excuse? Not safe? That's utter bullshit. Not comfortable, yeah, sure, but that's it. They should see the roads' condition here in Moscow.
No no, just Berlin. Netherlands have pretty much perfect conditions for pedestrians and bikers (except for the centre of Amsterdam where tourists walk on the bike lanes all the time, but that can be excused as it's something they're maybe not used to to that extent). I have no problem with people biking on the sidewalks for a brief moment if the roads are terrible or dangerous at that moment (even though it's technically illegal), but I do have a problem with it if they put the pedestrians in danger by driving recklessly. This happens all the time in Berlin, I have only lived here and in Amsterdam so my frame of reference is quite small.

Personally, I refuse to ride a bike here because I did get a cheap one, but the tires simply gave in after only a couple days because the roads are so terrible. You could prevent it by riding on sidewalks, as plenty of people seem to do here, but I also refuse to do that. And yeah, slowing down when nearing pedestrians and stepping off the bike when necessary is all I want, no complaints from me at all for those bikers. They're just kind of hard to find here sadly :(
people on this board are actual music fans who developed taste in music and not casual listeners who are following current fashion trends and listening to only current commercial hits.

Offline Samsara

• DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #1653 on: October 22, 2018, 10:17:37 AM »
Here's one -- all you bastards who drive on the freeway/highway and put your wiper washer on and spray all that shit all over my freshly waxed and detailed car. Y'all can go to hell.  :lol

p.s. I got the bastard back this morning by passing and returning the favor.

Offline cramx3

• Chillest of the chill
  • DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #1654 on: October 22, 2018, 01:01:11 PM »
 :lol sweet revenge

Online TAC

• DTF.org Alumni
  • Arthritic Metal Horns
« Reply #1655 on: October 22, 2018, 01:48:27 PM »
Here's one -- all you bastards who drive on the freeway/highway and put your wiper washer on and spray all that shit all over my freshly waxed and detailed car. Y'all can go to hell.  :lol

Sam, I read this and I have to laugh. I can totally see you going all  :censored :censored:lol

But WUT?? You mean I can't clean my windshield because some dude behind me might have just waxed his car?? If I actually knew some guy just waxed his car behind me, I'd be sure to give him a steady stream.  ;D

I have literally never waxed a car in my life. :lol
would have thought the same thing but seeing the OP was TAC i immediately thought Maiden or DT related
Winger Theater Forums........or WTF.  ;D
TAC got a higher score than me in the electronic round? Honestly, can I just drop out now? :lol

Offline King Postwhore

• Couch Potato
  • DTF.org Alumni
  • Take that Beethoven, you deaf bastard!!
« Reply #1656 on: October 22, 2018, 01:51:09 PM »
Tim likes getting other men wet (steady stream) for jollies.

Did I get that right?! :lol
I don't like country music, but I don't mean to denigrate those who do. And for the people who like country music, denigrate means 'put down'.” - Bob Newhart
So wait, we're spelling it wrong and king is spelling it right? What is going on here? :lol -- BlobVanDam
"Oh, I am definitely a jackass!" - TAC

Online TAC

• DTF.org Alumni
  • Arthritic Metal Horns
« Reply #1657 on: October 22, 2018, 01:52:20 PM »
Wax on wax off.
would have thought the same thing but seeing the OP was TAC i immediately thought Maiden or DT related
TAC got a higher score than me in the electronic round? Honestly, can I just drop out now? :lol

Offline bosk1

• King of Misdirection
  • Administrator
  • Bow down to Boskaryus
« Reply #1658 on: October 22, 2018, 01:58:12 PM »
Sam, I read this and I have to laugh. I can totally see you going all  :censored :censored:lol

You have no idea.  :lol

If you really want to see his head explode, pretend you are a fan of Barry Bonds.
"The Supreme Court of the United States has descended from the disciplined legal reasoning of John Marshall and Joseph Story to the mystical aphorisms of the fortune cookie."

Offline Samsara

• DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #1659 on: October 22, 2018, 02:01:14 PM »

I moonlight as a semi-professional (read - hobby I am damn good at) car detailer. Done mostly for the cars of families and friends.

Yeah, I about emptied my washer fluid on the SOB, complete with the obligatory brake check to say "you're welcome."  :lol

If you really want to see his head explode, pretend you are a fan of Barry Bonds.

:censored :censored :censored :censored :censored :censored :censored :censored :censored :censored :censored :censored :censored :censored :censored :censored :censored :censored :censored :censored :censored :censored :censored :censored

That guy. And F the Red Sox too.

Online TAC

• DTF.org Alumni
  • Arthritic Metal Horns
« Reply #1660 on: October 22, 2018, 02:04:07 PM »
Nice Sam, I didn't know you were into that.

:censored :censored :censored :censored :censored :censored :censored :censored :censored :censored :censored :censored :censored :censored :censored :censored :censored :censored :censored :censored :censored :censored :censored :censored

That guy. And F the Red Sox too.

:lol

I heard Barry was quite fond of Yankee Stadium.

;D

Offline Samsara

• DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #1661 on: October 22, 2018, 02:07:29 PM »
It's OK. Bonds had his moment. A shame. Dude would have been in the HOF without the roids. But he got greedy and while not caught, we all know he is as big of a cheater as they come. I hope all those cheaters like him, A-Rod, Giambi, Clemens, all of them, I hope they all never sniff the Hall. Giambi won't anyway, but still.

Online TAC

• DTF.org Alumni
  • Arthritic Metal Horns
« Reply #1662 on: October 22, 2018, 02:19:33 PM »
Giambi wasn't a HOF player to start with.

But how do you know? I mean, of course they all did, but how would you parse out the guys that didn't?

Bagwell got in. Dude looked like a f'n balloon. Pettite, Ortiz, Ivan Rodriguez. That era was loaded with roids. You either don't let anyone in, or let them all in. Just because Bonds was a douche shouldn't mean he's not HOF worthy. Then just don't induct anyone that played from 1993-200whatever.

Offline Samsara

• DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #1663 on: October 22, 2018, 02:27:14 PM »
I don't know what the answer is, T. All I know is, that whole era had guys who looked liked balloons, and then when they stopped playing, they went back to what they were originally. I read Book of Shadows. I respect those reporters. I believe them. A-Roid got nailed on it. Ortiz was on one of those "lists," which I have no idea if it is accurate or not, but my gut tells me he juiced big time when he came over to the Red Sux. Clemens obviously was on roids.

So again, I have no answers to the issue. But I hate Bonds. Bonds, Clemens, A-Rod...all guys who were HOF worthy before they juiced. Greedy bastards.

Pettite -- I can't help but notice the dig at him. He full on admitted he tried it for a few days to help rehab an injury, felt guilty, and stopped. I believe him completely.

Online TAC

• DTF.org Alumni
  • Arthritic Metal Horns
« Reply #1664 on: October 22, 2018, 02:30:57 PM »
I read Book of Shadows. I respect those reporters. I believe them.

Who wrote that? That sounds interesting.

Pettite -- I can't help but notice the dig at him. He full on admitted he tried it for a few days to help rehab an injury, felt guilty, and stopped. I believe him completely.

Smoke screen. He was roiding as much as anyone. Remember, Clemens was his hero.

Oh, and for the record, I think Ortiz is a douche. He was roiding right up until the end. Pretty obvious.

Offline Samsara

• DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #1665 on: October 22, 2018, 02:37:14 PM »
https://www.amazon.com/Game-Shadows-Steroids-Scandal-Professional/dp/1592402682/ref=sr_1_2?ie=UTF8&qid=1540240579&sr=8-2&keywords=Game+of+Shadows

>>>I do know Pettite idolized Clemens. But no, I don't think it was a smokescreen. Unlike CLemens, who had outward signs, and obvious roid rage, Pettite did not. I think Pettite was telling the truth.

Offline cramx3

• Chillest of the chill
  • DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #1666 on: October 22, 2018, 02:40:36 PM »
Pettite admitted to HGH right?  That's not the same as what Bonds did.

Offline Samsara

• DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #1667 on: October 22, 2018, 03:29:12 PM »
Pettite admitted to HGH right?  That's not the same as what Bonds did.

Yeah, that's what I was referring to. THanks for clarifying. He used HGH for like a day or two, rehabbing from an injury, felt guilty, and stopped. Clemens has never admitted anything, but he was certainly on roids and HGH. I mean, dude doubled in size, and it wasn't just old man fat.  :lol

Online TAC

• DTF.org Alumni
  • Arthritic Metal Horns
« Reply #1668 on: October 22, 2018, 03:41:24 PM »
I heard Pettite's wife found out he was with a hooker and he told her they just held hands.

She bought it.

Offline King Postwhore

• Couch Potato
  • DTF.org Alumni
  • Take that Beethoven, you deaf bastard!!
« Reply #1669 on: October 22, 2018, 04:16:59 PM »
Nobody took steroids once.  The public wanted an admission and that's why Pettite is not looked the same as Bonds, Clemens & Palmero.

We all knew Pettite was lying but admitting once did the trick.
I don't like country music, but I don't mean to denigrate those who do. And for the people who like country music, denigrate means 'put down'.” - Bob Newhart
So wait, we're spelling it wrong and king is spelling it right? What is going on here? :lol -- BlobVanDam
"Oh, I am definitely a jackass!" - TAC

Offline Samsara

• DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #1670 on: October 23, 2018, 08:52:05 AM »
I heard Pettite's wife found out he was with a hooker and he told her they just held hands.

She bought it.

:lol :lol :lol

Nobody took steroids once.  The public wanted an admission and that's why Pettite is not looked the same as Bonds, Clemens & Palmero.

We all knew Pettite was lying but admitting once did the trick.

Perhaps. But if you look at the guy, unlike all those other dues, Andy didn't have any outward physical growth. So while the others did, and it was obvious, I don't think Andy was lying. And it wasn't steriods. It was HGH to rehab an injury. Had he taken it longer, he would have ballooned, just as the others did. He didn't, so that's why I believe him.

Offline Stadler

• DTF.org Alumni
  • Pointing out the "unfunny" since 2014!
« Reply #1671 on: October 23, 2018, 12:13:54 PM »
... with the obligatory brake check to say "you're welcome."  :lol

No offense, but this is on my list.  Nothing like combating passive-aggressive, dangerous driving with more passive-aggressive dangerous driving.  Just move over.   I cannot FATHOM why "just move over" is so hard to do. 

Offline Samsara

• DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #1672 on: October 23, 2018, 01:38:42 PM »
Stads,

I usually never do it. I was just so pissed off at the guy. I kinda felt bad, honestly. But after spending a few hours on my car the day before, I was pissed as all hell.

Offline cramx3

• Chillest of the chill
  • DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #1673 on: October 23, 2018, 02:00:42 PM »
I had a bit of road rage on my ride back from the Metallica concert in PA.  A minivan merged into my lane, very slowly, so I wasn't sure at first if they were just swerving or actually trying to get into my lane (I was in their blind spot and they didn't have thier blinker on).  So I honked, they didn't move back over and kept creeping.  I then held the horn.  Nothing, so I hit the breaks and let them in before they hit me.  My friend and I give the bird and then as we pass them a minute later, it's an indian family who waves to us with a really sorry look on their face  :lol at least I got a good laugh after my moment of rage.

Offline Stadler

• DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #1674 on: October 23, 2018, 02:46:07 PM »
Stads,

I usually never do it. I was just so pissed off at the guy. I kinda felt bad, honestly. But after spending a few hours on my car the day before, I was pissed as all hell.

Nah, I get it.  I'm not immune to a dirty look or even a "you're number one!" when dealing with an asshole on the road.  It happens.

Offline orcus116

• DT.net Veteran
« Reply #1675 on: October 23, 2018, 04:37:39 PM »
... with the obligatory brake check to say "you're welcome."  :lol

No offense, but this is on my list.  Nothing like combating passive-aggressive, dangerous driving with more passive-aggressive dangerous driving.  Just move over.   I cannot FATHOM why "just move over" is so hard to do.

This is sort of a side tangent but I'm always of the mindset of "just let it go and be on my way" as far as defensive driving at least in terms of people coming up behind or close to me. I'll always do what I can do avoid confrontation because a) I'm in a vehicle that could kill me surrounded by other vehicles that could easily kill me as well and b) at the end of the day it's just not worth it. I don't understand the one-upsmanship that some people have when driving.

A good example is I was a passenger with a coworker in his car and not only is he one of those "always need to weave in and out of traffic" and aggressive drivers but he has a bit of a short temper when it comes to dealing with other people's driving habits, We were in a lane that was going straight and becoming a left hand lane so he was going to right when a guy came from the right hand side and there was one of those accidental "whoa, didn't see you there" moves and the other guy jerked his car to the right. My coworker took this as some sort of affront and gave the guy the finger while screaming. The other driver clearly took notice and purposely jerked his car to the right coming inches from smashing our car. OK, so the other guy pulled an asshole move and a dangerous one at that but now my coworker was seething and started to chase the guy down the street. At this point I'm yelling at him to just let it go because I have no idea what to do in this situation as a passenger. The other driver made a left and sat at the light and my worker sharply pulled next to him, stopped, got out of the car, and got in the guy's face. All the while I'm sitting there sort of panicked like "what the fuck do I do, here?"

Thankfully everything was resolved after some bickering, hand signals, and a few "yeah well FUCK YOU" and the other guy drove off but I can not for the life of me think what has to go through someone's head to whip into that machismo attitude when you're also dealing with someone else's safety. He's a good guy and all and this is in the past but part of me thinks I should've said something to my boss although I'm not really that sort of guy.

Offline Stadler

• DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #1676 on: November 01, 2018, 12:04:49 PM »
"LA".   Not the city itself; I kind of like it there (I lived there for about a year, a little less, back when I got out of college).   But the breezy way of saying "LA" - many of us even slur the letters, "ellay" - like we're too lazy and/or too good to actually spell out "Los Angeles".   What other city is so blase that they can't even say the name?  Do we go to "SF"?   How about some gumbo in "NO"?  Many New Yorkers even make sure to add the CITY to the end because, I don't know, maybe it adds some grit to the place, or alludes to the substance. 

I just listened to "That Lucky Old Sun" by Brian Wilson, and it's a love letter of sorts to the City, and it espouses a lot of what I'm talking about.   Also Concrete Blonde's "Roses Grow".  The Scorpions "Steam Rock Fever".  Each evoke "LA" in a passing way as if we're just supposed to understand and get it.   And, honestly, I guess I don't.   

Offline bosk1

• King of Misdirection
  • Administrator
  • Bow down to Boskaryus
« Reply #1677 on: November 01, 2018, 01:47:26 PM »
That's silly.  There are a ton of cities that shorten up their names and everyone knows what they are talking about.  Chi-town.  Nola.  O-town.  If that bothers you, you need to get your Valium prescription upped.  But then again, I can say that about most things posted in this thread (or any given news feed nowadays).

Offline pg1067

« Reply #1678 on: November 01, 2018, 01:49:13 PM »
"LA".   Not the city itself; I kind of like it there (I lived there for about a year, a little less, back when I got out of college).   But the breezy way of saying "LA" - many of us even slur the letters, "ellay" - like we're too lazy and/or too good to actually spell out "Los Angeles".

When I was a young teenager and had discovered the existence of pornography, I recall seeing some sort of pictorial that referred to "El Lay."

Anyway, is this any different than referring to Images and Words as "I&W" or Piece of Mind as "PoM"?

As someone who has lived in the suburbs of LA my entire life, it happens here all the time and no one bats an eye.  The only time I find it annoying is when the fans of certain rival sports teams (typically the Giants and Sharks) can't think of anything better than to chant "beat L.A."

What other city is so blase that they can't even say the name?  Do we go to "SF"?   How about some gumbo in "NO"?  Many New Yorkers even make sure to add the CITY to the end because, I don't know, maybe it adds some grit to the place, or alludes to the substance.

I'm curious about your use of "they" in the first sentence?  Are you limiting your irritation to folk in or from LA who refer to the city/region as "LA"?  In the first part of your post, it sounded you were referring generally to anyone who uses the acronym.

And yes, I go to "SF" not infrequently.  Also to "NYC".

I just listened to "That Lucky Old Sun" by Brian Wilson, and it's a love letter of sorts to the City, and it espouses a lot of what I'm talking about.   Also Concrete Blonde's "Roses Grow".  The Scorpions "Steam Rock Fever".  Each evoke "LA" in a passing way as if we're just supposed to understand and get it.   And, honestly, I guess I don't.

I've never heard anyone else express a lack of understanding of references to "LA" in any of these songs (or any other song, including the massively irritating "I Love L.A."), although I will confess I don't understand why "Steamrock Fever" refers to "L.A.," but mid-70s Scorpions lyrics were all a bit "out there."
"There's a bass solo in a song called Metropolis where I do a bass solo."  John Myung

Offline Adami

• Moderator of awesomeness
« Reply #1679 on: November 01, 2018, 02:00:01 PM »
"LA".   Not the city itself; I kind of like it there (I lived there for about a year, a little less, back when I got out of college).   But the breezy way of saying "LA" - many of us even slur the letters, "ellay" - like we're too lazy and/or too good to actually spell out "Los Angeles".   What other city is so blase that they can't even say the name?  Do we go to "SF"?   How about some gumbo in "NO"?  Many New Yorkers even make sure to add the CITY to the end because, I don't know, maybe it adds some grit to the place, or alludes to the substance. 

I grew up in St. Louis. Generally, we just say STL.
fanticide.bandcamp.com