Author Topic: Things that I find mildly irritating v.2  (Read 307720 times)

Offline pg1067

Re: Things that I find mildly irritating v.2
« Reply #1610 on: October 12, 2018, 03:40:35 PM »
I posted this last year in the work gripe thread.

I'm playing the asshole card this morning.

The vegetarians in my department.

We have two vegetarians in our department of 34 people. Both are vegetarians not because of ethical animal concerns, but because of fitness goals. Once a quarter we have a quarterly birthday party and on days like today we'll set aside an hour and a half for a potluck. Every. Single. Person. that contributes to these things feels like they have to accommodate these two guys. Every item in conference room so far is vegetarian. We're having six large pizzas delivered, and THREE of them are veggie (5 if you count the two pies that are just cheese). What the fuck? I get it, there are vegetarians in the office, but do the two of them warrant HALF (5) of our greasy goodnesses to not have meat on them? Only one of the pizzas has meat and it's a pepperoni. 1 pizza with meat for a department of 34. It's a damn shame cause this place makes slamming meat based pizzas.

One guy a few cubes down was just bragging "I brought in cauliflower wings". If I didn't tell you otherwise, you'd swear they were boneless chicken wings. Go fuck yourself, Mitch. You're not fooling anyone with that shit.

/rant

I stand by what I said.

:rollin :rollin :rollin
"There's a bass solo in a song called Metropolis where I do a bass solo."  John Myung

Offline Cool Chris

• DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #1611 on: October 12, 2018, 05:14:28 PM »
Chino, thank you for spelling it out better than I did.

Like I said, sometimes people uncomfortably accommodate us (often not though, we're usually just ignored and can't eat anything) and we don't like it.

Interesting point. I am sure many in today's society feel the need to go out of their way to accommodate everyone. Of course I am a bit of a bastard so I cannot relate to this at all.  :yarr I agree Chino shouldn't be mad at the two guys in the office unless there is some implicit or explicit expectation all potluck items meet their requirements.

By "us" do you mean "vegetarians" as in "people who choose to limit what they eat?" If so, you are not being ignored. They are being given the opportunity to eat the same thing as everyone else. If that goes against their beliefs, dietary goals, religious convictions, that is sort of on them. My wife has a close personal friend who cannot eat gluten and many other things, and always brings her own food when we have dinners/social gatherings. She is uncomfortable asking a host, or having a host insist on preparing a meal for several people around one person. I swear I recall a very wise person once say something to the effect of "The needs of the many outweigh the needs of the few."
"Nostalgia is just the ability to forget the things that sucked" - Nelson DeMille, 'Up Country'

Online Chino

• Be excellent to each other.
  • DT.net Veteran
« Reply #1612 on: October 13, 2018, 06:56:33 AM »
Are you mad at the vegetarians? Like I said, sometimes people uncomfortably accommodate us (often not though, we're usually just ignored and can't eat anything) and we don't like it. Unless your two people were demanding accommodations, then I wouldn't be angry at them. Not that you are. I dunno.

I'm not mad at them at all.

Offline Phoenix87x

• From the ashes
  • The Phoenix shall rise
« Reply #1613 on: October 13, 2018, 08:02:49 AM »
Things that piss me off 10/13/18

When ticketmaster charges me a fee to print my tickets at home

Online Adami

• Moderator of awesomeness
« Reply #1614 on: October 13, 2018, 08:04:57 AM »
Are you mad at the vegetarians? Like I said, sometimes people uncomfortably accommodate us (often not though, we're usually just ignored and can't eat anything) and we don't like it. Unless your two people were demanding accommodations, then I wouldn't be angry at them. Not that you are. I dunno.

I'm not mad at them at all.

:hug:
fanticide.bandcamp.com

Offline Ben_Jamin

• I'm just a man, thrown into existence by the gods
« Reply #1615 on: October 14, 2018, 05:01:09 PM »
When guys just pull the door while you're in the stall, instead of knocking.
I don't know how they can be so proud of winning with them odds. - Little Big Man
Follow my Spotify:BjamminD

Offline chknptpie

• DTF.org Member
« Reply #1616 on: October 14, 2018, 06:58:09 PM »
2.  People who feel the need to jog or walk in the street.  That's what the fucking sidewalk is for!

Actually running on sidewalks can lead to injury. The concrete is much harder than rubberized asphalt and hard on the joints. Also, if the sidewalk has driveways, the constant change/unevenness can cause unnecessary stress on the body while running.

Online TAC

• DTF.org Alumni
  • Arthritic Metal Horns
« Reply #1617 on: October 14, 2018, 07:02:57 PM »
2.  People who feel the need to jog or walk in the street.  That's what the fucking sidewalk is for!

Actually running on sidewalks can lead to injury. The concrete is much harder than rubberized asphalt and hard on the joints. Also, if the sidewalk has driveways, the constant change/unevenness can cause unnecessary stress on the body while running.

You know what else is unnecessary stress on the body? Running into a Chevy.

The road is for cars, not for someone trying to achieve their fitness goals. Go to the track at the local high school. Get out of the f'n road.
would have thought the same thing but seeing the OP was TAC i immediately thought Maiden or DT related
Winger Theater Forums........or WTF.  ;D
TAC got a higher score than me in the electronic round? Honestly, can I just drop out now? :lol

Offline IDontNotDoThings

« Reply #1618 on: October 14, 2018, 07:37:53 PM »

Oh, so that's why my feet hurt so much :|
ドリームシアターはあまり好きではありませんが、ペンと紙を持っていたので、なんてこった。

Offline Snow Dog

« Reply #1619 on: October 14, 2018, 10:21:14 PM »

Oh, so that's why my feet hurt so much :|

The feet hurting could also be from footwear or your running stride, or something completely different musculoskeletally. But the harder surfaces can also contribute.

I’ll stick to sidewalks on busier streets if one is available, but I use both surfaces when running in my neighborhood. I will move back to the sidewalk for an oncoming car, though. The asphalt is just easier to use without having to dodge sidewalk cracks, curbs, and overhanging trees, especially near the end of a longer run of 10+ miles.

While on the subject of running, I’m mildly irritated by the fact that it seems every pair of men’s lightweight running shorts now comes with those built in underwear liners. From Nike and Under Armor to even the cheaper stuff at Walmart, it’s hard to find a pair without them. They’re quite uncomfortable for me to wear, so I just cut them out completely. If I wanted panties in my shorts, I’d raid my wife’s underwear drawer.

Offline lordxizor

• EZBoard Elder
  • and that is the truth.
« Reply #1620 on: October 15, 2018, 06:47:26 AM »
I'd rather they pull than knock. Pulling shows them it's locked and I'm in there without me having to say anything.

Offline JayOctavarium

• I used to be a whorejerk
  • DTF.org Alumni
  • But then I took a Hef to the knee...
« Reply #1621 on: October 15, 2018, 10:29:32 AM »
I posted this last year in the work gripe thread.

I'm playing the asshole card this morning.

The vegetarians in my department.

We have two vegetarians in our department of 34 people. Both are vegetarians not because of ethical animal concerns, but because of fitness goals. Once a quarter we have a quarterly birthday party and on days like today we'll set aside an hour and a half for a potluck. Every. Single. Person. that contributes to these things feels like they have to accommodate these two guys. Every item in conference room so far is vegetarian. We're having six large pizzas delivered, and THREE of them are veggie (5 if you count the two pies that are just cheese). What the fuck? I get it, there are vegetarians in the office, but do the two of them warrant HALF (5) of our greasy goodnesses to not have meat on them? Only one of the pizzas has meat and it's a pepperoni. 1 pizza with meat for a department of 34. It's a damn shame cause this place makes slamming meat based pizzas.

One guy a few cubes down was just bragging "I brought in cauliflower wings". If I didn't tell you otherwise, you'd swear they were boneless chicken wings. Go fuck yourself, Mitch. You're not fooling anyone with that shit.

/rant

I stand by what I said.

Hey now... buffalo cauliflower is pretty damn good.

I just don't understand what they were trying to achieve with any part of the song, either individually or as a whole. You know what? It's the Platypus of Dream Theater songs. That bill doesn't go with that tail, or that strange little furry body, or those webbed feet, and oh god why does it have venomous spurs!? And then you find out it lays eggs too. The difference is that the Platypus is somehow functional despite being a crazy mishmash or leftover animal pieces

-BlobVanDam on "Scarred"

Offline Stadler

• DTF.org Alumni
  • Pointing out the "unfunny" since 2014!
« Reply #1622 on: October 15, 2018, 10:50:46 AM »
I'd rather they pull than knock. Pulling shows them it's locked and I'm in there without me having to say anything.

I don't either way.   If they can't be bothered to take a short glance to see if there's feet in there, I can't waste the breath I'm holding because the guy next to me didn't courtesy flush. 

Offline Stadler

• DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #1623 on: October 15, 2018, 10:51:09 AM »
Mildly irritating:  people that don't courtesy flush.

Online King Postwhore

• Couch Potato
  • DTF.org Alumni
  • Take that Beethoven, you deaf bastard!!
« Reply #1624 on: October 15, 2018, 11:04:08 AM »
Being around people that are irritated and they will let you know even though you are waiting just like them.
I don't like country music, but I don't mean to denigrate those who do. And for the people who like country music, denigrate means 'put down'.” - Bob Newhart
So wait, we're spelling it wrong and king is spelling it right? What is going on here? :lol -- BlobVanDam
"Oh, I am definitely a jackass!" - TAC

Offline pg1067

« Reply #1625 on: October 15, 2018, 12:30:05 PM »

You know what else is unnecessary stress on the body? Running into a Chevy.

The road is for cars, not for someone trying to achieve their fitness goals. Go to the track at the local high school. Get out of the f'n road.

Amen!

I doubt the difference between asphalt and concrete is so significant as to make it worth the risk of getting planted face first into said asphalt.  I guess I don't mind so much if a jogger wants to run in the street and then hop onto the sidewalk when a car is coming, but some of these clowns think there's room for parked cars on each side and two cars and them....
"There's a bass solo in a song called Metropolis where I do a bass solo."  John Myung

Offline Train of Naught

• I sympathize, with a cockroach
  • .....and a cockroach
« Reply #1626 on: October 18, 2018, 02:39:39 AM »
Having to dodge bikers when walking down the sidewalk. Where I live it seems to be commonly accepted to bike on sidewalks and the excuse I have heard the most is that they do it because the bike roads are sometimes made of cobblestone which is hard to ride a bike on. So you choose to ride a bike, but you will put others' safety at stake because you don't feel safe on your designated lane? I wouldn't even mind if they did it carefully, slowing down when nearing and/or passing by a pedestrian, but these people more often than not go full speed and don't look out for pedestrians at all. Every day when I'm walking to work I have to be on the lookout for bikes flying by to prevent getting bumped into. It's mostly how they act like they're in the right and everyone has to step aside for them even though they are on the wrong lane.. ugh

*end of rant*
people on this board are actual music fans who developed taste in music and not casual listeners who are following current fashion trends and listening to only current commercial hits.

Offline ReaperKK

• Sweeter After Difficulty
  • DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #1627 on: October 18, 2018, 05:10:04 AM »
I got something else to add to the biker issue; in our downtown we now have these electric scooters everywhere for rent and people have no idea how to ride them.

Online Chino

• Be excellent to each other.
  • DT.net Veteran
« Reply #1628 on: October 18, 2018, 06:07:24 AM »
The internal hiring process at my company.

My company has a huge page dedicated to jobs that are open and haven't been made public yet. They like to retain internal talent. There are two I would really like to apply for, but as soon as you submit an application, regardless of whether or not you're even asked to interview, your manager and your manager's manager receive a notification that you've done so. How fucking stupid is that? I feel like it discourages people from applying. I certainly don't want to. I don't want my manager thinking/knowing that I'm looking to bail. I feel like it complicates things.
« Last Edit: October 18, 2018, 07:11:25 AM by Chino »

Offline lordxizor

• EZBoard Elder
  • and that is the truth.
« Reply #1629 on: October 18, 2018, 06:30:02 AM »

My company has a huge page dedicated to jobs that are open and haven't been made public yet. They like to retain internal talent. There are two I would really like to apply for, but as you as you submit an application, regardless of whether or not you're even asked to interview, your manager and your manager's manager receive a notification that you've done so. How fucking stupid is that? I feel like it discourages people from applying. I certainly don't want to. I don't want my manager thinking/knowing that I'm looking to bail. I feel like it complicates things.
My company has similar policy of notifying your current manager when you apply for an internal position. I agree it's really stupid. It gives your current boss a chance to essentially sabotage your chances right out of the gate. It make more sense to me to only notify them when you're the final candidate and they're doing their final checks on you.

Online TAC

• DTF.org Alumni
  • Arthritic Metal Horns
« Reply #1630 on: October 18, 2018, 07:01:05 AM »

My company has a huge page dedicated to jobs that are open and haven't been made public yet. They like to retain internal talent. There are two I would really like to apply for, but as you as you submit an application, regardless of whether or not you're even asked to interview, your manager and your manager's manager receive a notification that you've done so. How fucking stupid is that? I feel like it discourages people from applying. I certainly don't want to. I don't want my manager thinking/knowing that I'm looking to bail. I feel like it complicates things.
My company has similar policy of notifying your current manager when you apply for an internal position. I agree it's really stupid. It gives your current boss a chance to essentially sabotage your chances right out of the gate. It make more sense to me to only notify them when you're the final candidate and they're doing their final checks on you.

That makes the most sense.In my company, when you apply for another position, the manager actually has to write a recommendation.
would have thought the same thing but seeing the OP was TAC i immediately thought Maiden or DT related
Winger Theater Forums........or WTF.  ;D
TAC got a higher score than me in the electronic round? Honestly, can I just drop out now? :lol

Offline Stadler

• DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #1631 on: October 18, 2018, 07:27:23 AM »
I don't disagree with the comments here, but - especially in a large organization - think about it from a managers situation, and think about how encouraging opacity in the organization can be detrimental.   

Offline ReaperKK

• Sweeter After Difficulty
  • DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #1632 on: October 18, 2018, 08:51:31 AM »

My company has a huge page dedicated to jobs that are open and haven't been made public yet. They like to retain internal talent. There are two I would really like to apply for, but as soon as you submit an application, regardless of whether or not you're even asked to interview, your manager and your manager's manager receive a notification that you've done so. How fucking stupid is that? I feel like it discourages people from applying. I certainly don't want to. I don't want my manager thinking/knowing that I'm looking to bail. I feel like it complicates things.

Thank god we don’t have that in our company.

Offline lordxizor

• EZBoard Elder
  • and that is the truth.
« Reply #1633 on: October 18, 2018, 09:27:24 AM »
I don't disagree with the comments here, but - especially in a large organization - think about it from a managers situation, and think about how encouraging opacity in the organization can be detrimental.   
I get that, but if I were applying for an external position, my boss wouldn't know until I put in my resignation. Somewhere in the middle of the two extremes seems best to me.

Online cramx3

• Chillest of the chill
  • DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #1634 on: October 18, 2018, 09:37:32 AM »
I get that, but if I were applying for an external position, my boss wouldn't know until I put in my resignation. Somewhere in the middle of the two extremes seems best to me.

Maybe thats true.  I just think if I am the hiring manager, would I want to hire someone that's trying to secretly get away from his team within the same company?  Everyone knows if you are looking outside that you can expect your current employer doesn't know, but within the same company wouldn't your hiring manager want to know what's going on and out of respect for your current manager, if you want to transfer within the company, wouldn't it be best to not burn a bridge by keeping them in the dark? 

I don't know, I see both sides and maybe there's a better system than full blown one way or the other.

Offline Stadler

• DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #1635 on: October 18, 2018, 09:41:38 AM »

Don't disagree; maybe have notice go to the HR manager of the group and not the supervisor.   I've been lucky; I worked for a company that not only encouraged this type of movement but rewarded their managers for "growing" talent (so it was in my best interest to tell my manager). 

Offline lordxizor

• EZBoard Elder
  • and that is the truth.
« Reply #1636 on: October 18, 2018, 09:45:21 AM »
Even if the current boss wasn't notified until the very end, the advantage of a move within the company is that the current and new boss can work out a transition plan over the next several weeks instead it being a hard cut off two weeks from now. I honestly don't see what good can come out of telling your current boss right away when you apply for a different job. Though I'm not a manager so I don't see it from their perspective.

Maybe it's just me, but I am more likely to look for jobs outside of my company rather than within because of this rule.

Online jingle.boy

• I'm so ronery; so sad and ronery
  • DTF.org Alumni
  • DTF's resident deceased dictator
« Reply #1637 on: October 18, 2018, 11:25:35 AM »
This kind of practice isn't uncommon.  A good manager will (should!) put your professional goals ahead of their own.  If they don't, you have a shitty manager, so who cares if they are notified?  I talked with a manager once about this kind of situation, and he was 100% behind me to go for it.  Any other reaction is an indication of someone who shouldn't be a manager of people.

If it were me, I'd talk to your manager first, and have them hear it from you directly, along with the reasons why you're looking at another position.
That's a word salad - and take it from me, I know word salad
I fear for the day when something happens on the right that is SO nuts that even Stadler says "That's crazy".
Quote from: Puppies_On_Acid
Remember the mark of a great vocalist is if TAC hates them with a special passion

Offline Evermind

• DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #1638 on: October 18, 2018, 11:40:08 AM »
Having to dodge bikers when walking down the sidewalk. Where I live it seems to be commonly accepted to bike on sidewalks and the excuse I have heard the most is that they do it because the bike roads are sometimes made of cobblestone which is hard to ride a bike on. So you choose to ride a bike, but you will put others' safety at stake because you don't feel safe on your designated lane? I wouldn't even mind if they did it carefully, slowing down when nearing and/or passing by a pedestrian, but these people more often than not go full speed and don't look out for pedestrians at all. Every day when I'm walking to work I have to be on the lookout for bikes flying by to prevent getting bumped into. It's mostly how they act like they're in the right and everyone has to step aside for them even though they are on the wrong lane.. ugh

*end of rant*

Wait, is it about Berlin or Netherlands? Because I've never saw anyone biking on sidewalks during my 10-days stay in Rotterdam. Everyone used the bike roads.

I frequently bike to work from April to end of October if weather is alright (did that today too), and as there are no designated bike roads (we have them in the center of our city and in the parks, and everyone ignores the latter ones), I usually use the actual road for cars. However, sometimes it's just not really safe to use the car roads - we have a speed limit of 60 kmph, except you get the ticket only if you went over 80 kmph, 60-80 is just a verbal warning and no one cares about that so effectively the speed limit is 80 kmph.

So, well, sometimes I have to use the sidewalks, but I never go faster than the pedestrians if I don't have enough room to pass. I'll get off the bike if necessary. I've never used the, uh, bicycle bell (is that how it's called?) in three years of using those rental bikes. That's just idiotic. I'm on the road for pedestrians, I'm a guest here, I have to accommodate to them, not the other way around. However, about 8 cyclists out of 10 do what you just described. So people just lump every cyclist on the sidewalk in the 'asshole' category.

Also, the 'cobblestones' excuse? Not safe? That's utter bullshit. Not comfortable, yeah, sure, but that's it. They should see the roads' condition here in Moscow.
This first band is Soen very cool swingy jazz fusion kinda stuff.

Online King Postwhore

• Couch Potato
  • DTF.org Alumni
  • Take that Beethoven, you deaf bastard!!
« Reply #1639 on: October 18, 2018, 11:51:28 AM »
This kind of practice isn't uncommon.  A good manager will (should!) put your professional goals ahead of their own.  If they don't, you have a shitty manager, so who cares if they are notified?  I talked with a manager once about this kind of situation, and he was 100% behind me to go for it.  Any other reaction is an indication of someone who shouldn't be a manager of people.

If it were me, I'd talk to your manager first, and have them hear it from you directly, along with the reasons why you're looking at another position.

Exactly, never get in the way of an employee's growth.  Nurture them to better your site as well as well the company.
I don't like country music, but I don't mean to denigrate those who do. And for the people who like country music, denigrate means 'put down'.” - Bob Newhart
So wait, we're spelling it wrong and king is spelling it right? What is going on here? :lol -- BlobVanDam
"Oh, I am definitely a jackass!" - TAC

Offline Cool Chris

• DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #1640 on: October 18, 2018, 01:02:01 PM »
bike roads.

Yes let's please add "bike roads" to the list, especially when they cost $12 million dollars per mile.

https://www.seattletimes.com/seattle-news/politics/12-million-per-mile-for-a-bike-lane-that-should-trigger-a-civic-heart-attack/

And let's go ahead and add poor planning, poor budgeting, or just plain flat out lying to your constituents.
Bike lanes that voters were told would cost about $860,000 per mile were actually clocking in at an eye-watering $12 million per mile.

I usually use the actual road for cars. However, sometimes it's just not really safe to use the car roads...

Of course it's not. They are for cars, not bikes. Don't ride your bike on them. Bikers here will tell you that cars are the problem though, cars that are on the roads that they were designed and built for.
"Nostalgia is just the ability to forget the things that sucked" - Nelson DeMille, 'Up Country'

Online Adami

• Moderator of awesomeness
« Reply #1641 on: October 18, 2018, 01:06:54 PM »
860,000 to 12 million?

Not seeing the big deal, clearly they just rounded up a bit for the final price.  :biggrin:
fanticide.bandcamp.com

Offline Evermind

• DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #1642 on: October 18, 2018, 01:19:22 PM »
Of course it's not. They are for cars, not bikes. Don't ride your bike on them.

Yeah, sure, man. However, the traffic rules in our country are clear-cut saying that the cyclists should use the car roads as a priority because the cyclists are part of the traffic. I love that "of course" though.

I would understand that argument if I owned a bicycle, like, you know, why the fuck I bought it if I have nowhere to cycle on? However, I'm using official city rental bikes. So the city basically wants me to use it, and by the rules, I have to use the car roads.

Basically, ITT: I'm doing what I can to make life comfortable for both drivers and pedestrians and just venting about the mildly irritating state of our city and cyclist assholes, and still get called out about it. I'm just going to get the fuck out of here. Dennis, if you feel like responding to that earlier post, my PM is open.
This first band is Soen very cool swingy jazz fusion kinda stuff.

Offline Cool Chris

• DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #1643 on: October 18, 2018, 02:53:53 PM »
"Use the car roads as a priority" meaning prioritizing bikes using the roads over sidewalks, or having bikes as a priority over cars on the road?

I apologize if I sounded harsh (but this is the mildly irritating thread, aren't allowed a little leeway? :)) I appreciate your courtesy as you described, and wish other bicyclists acted similarly. I should have quoted that part and not emphasized my disdain for a mentality you are working against as well.

Offline Stadler

• DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #1644 on: October 19, 2018, 06:48:50 AM »

This.   You're all on the same team, and any manager that expects you do to the same job for the same manager for the rest of your career is the one who should be looked at closer, not you.