Author Topic: Things that I find mildly irritating v.2  (Read 304951 times)

Offline jingle.boy

• I'm so ronery; so sad and ronery
  • DTF.org Alumni
  • DTF's resident deceased dictator
Re: Things that I find mildly irritating v.2
« Reply #1575 on: October 02, 2018, 12:31:22 PM »
When your wife can't figure out how to forward a text or an email and is so afraid of technology she acts put off by you trying to walk her through it.  It's not that hard.  Jesus.

All while professing how smart she is and she hates it when people treat her like she knows nothing?

No?  Just mine?

My other favorite. Your partner comes to you because they have a problem with their computer and spent two hours with it trying to fix it and couldn't figure it out. And As you are actually figuring it out, they sit there the whole time and keep offering non-helpful suggestions.

I'm like "you just had two hours alone with this problem and failed, so can you please just leave me be as I fix your problem for you"

which then turns into a fight  :yeahright

Relevant - https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=weBbZ11d5LM
That's a word salad - and take it from me, I know word salad
I fear for the day when something happens on the right that is SO nuts that even Stadler says "That's crazy".
Quote from: Puppies_On_Acid
Remember the mark of a great vocalist is if TAC hates them with a special passion

Offline pg1067

« Reply #1576 on: October 03, 2018, 11:22:27 AM »
When home repair folks don't show up when they say they will!!

Our air conditioning went out on Sunday.  On Monday morning, the repair guy said he could be there at 9:00 on Tuesday and then almost immediately changed that to noon.  I took off early for lunch and drove home to meet him.  At 12:30, he said he was running late on his prior job.  My wife got home and I went back to work (fortunately, in the middle of the day, it's only about a 15-20 drive from home to my office).  Dude didn't show up until thee fucking o'clock (and without any updates re his status until about 2:30).  :censored :censored :censored
"There's a bass solo in a song called Metropolis where I do a bass solo."  John Myung

Offline SystematicThought

• DTF.org Member
  • Carpe Diem-2020
« Reply #1577 on: October 03, 2018, 02:17:17 PM »
You got hit hard out there too huh? I'm in Brooklyn Park, here and Coon Rapids got hit really bad. Pretty much every house in my neighborhood got a new roof and siding.
New Roof, windows replaced in the backyard, new garage door, new gutters, and deck damage, so eventually we'll get a new deck. That was quite a storm. I was working in St. Paul that morning and our store got hit pretty hard too. That was a rough morning.

Add the guys who did our gutters to the list of irritating. When we were getting our gutters replaced, they would show up at 3 in the afternoon and would work until 8 or 9. They took 4 days to do it. They showed up at 5 PM on a Saturday and worked until 10. They left all of their stuff laying out and the ladder resting against the house. We complained to the guy who contracted them, the guy who lives on our street, and he was livid. Must have been quite a fight because the gutter guys came back to our house on that Tuesday and cleaned up their stuff. We have cameras in our driveway and as he was getting into his van, he flipped off the camera. They put new guys on the job and they had to redo all of the gutters because they weren't installed properly. That was a nightmare.
God have mercy on a man
Who doubts what he's sure of.
-Bruce Springsteen

Offline pg1067

« Reply #1578 on: October 11, 2018, 09:50:04 AM »
Two for today:

1.  Folks who attempt to re-write basic rules of the road on the fly.  I live in a nice residential area.  In the neighborhood, there are lot of intersections with 3- and 4-way stops.  The rule is simple:  he who gets there first goes first and, if two cars stop at the same time, the car on the right goes first.  It's about as basic as it comes.  However, I cannot tell you how many times another car has clearly gotten to the intersection first and the driver has tried to waive me through.  Of course drivers who just roll through the sign are worse, but those numbnuts who want to change one of the most fundamental rules of driving on the fly are almost as annoying.

2.  People who feel the need to jog or walk in the street.  That's what the fucking sidewalk is for!
"There's a bass solo in a song called Metropolis where I do a bass solo."  John Myung

Online King Postwhore

• Couch Potato
  • DTF.org Alumni
  • Take that Beethoven, you deaf bastard!!
« Reply #1579 on: October 11, 2018, 10:25:27 AM »
Cutting one off then driving like a turtle.  Slooooowww.
I don't like country music, but I don't mean to denigrate those who do. And for the people who like country music, denigrate means 'put down'.” - Bob Newhart
So wait, we're spelling it wrong and king is spelling it right? What is going on here? :lol -- BlobVanDam
"Oh, I am definitely a jackass!" - TAC

Offline Stadler

• DTF.org Alumni
  • Pointing out the "unfunny" since 2014!
« Reply #1580 on: October 11, 2018, 11:39:32 AM »
You got hit hard out there too huh? I'm in Brooklyn Park, here and Coon Rapids got hit really bad. Pretty much every house in my neighborhood got a new roof and siding.
New Roof, windows replaced in the backyard, new garage door, new gutters, and deck damage, so eventually we'll get a new deck. That was quite a storm. I was working in St. Paul that morning and our store got hit pretty hard too. That was a rough morning.

Add the guys who did our gutters to the list of irritating. When we were getting our gutters replaced, they would show up at 3 in the afternoon and would work until 8 or 9. They took 4 days to do it. They showed up at 5 PM on a Saturday and worked until 10. They left all of their stuff laying out and the ladder resting against the house. We complained to the guy who contracted them, the guy who lives on our street, and he was livid. Must have been quite a fight because the gutter guys came back to our house on that Tuesday and cleaned up their stuff. We have cameras in our driveway and as he was getting into his van, he flipped off the camera. They put new guys on the job and they had to redo all of the gutters because they weren't installed properly. That was a nightmare.

Obviously, there's a lot more to your post than the specific piece I'm replying to, but it goes on my list of "irritating":  not taking responsibility.   Why flip YOU off?  YOU didn't fuck off the job?  YOU didn't leave the ladders up against the house (that's a rookie mistake right there).

I just had this conversation with my new (lying, scumbag, piece of crap) son-in-law.   ALWAYS takes the easy way out, in every facet of his life (from work, to school, to drugs, to fidelity, to whatever; you can imagine how his Army career is going), and yet it's always everyone else's fault why he's where he is, and it's everyone else's responsibility to help him.  He said something like "if you support your daughter, you'll help us", and I - being the dick I can be at times - said, okay sure, we'll help.  Here's the ground rules:  you do a, b, and c, THEN we'll help, and the help won't be money, but we'll do x, y, and z.   He has the nerve to say "Uh, that's not help."    It was actually a generous offer; though considering it was him, anything more than "go fuck yourself" is a generous offer (he slept with THREE of her friends, including her best friend, who was dating HIS best friend at the time.  His excuse?  They were at his apartment, got wasted and it "just happnened".  Easy way out.)     I digress though.   

Why flip off the camera?  Haha. 

Offline pg1067

« Reply #1581 on: October 11, 2018, 12:41:42 PM »
Cutting one off then driving like a turtle.  Slooooowww.

Related:  Folks who insist on getting into the fast lane and then driving the speed limit (and, even worse, who then refuse to move over)....

Online King Postwhore

• Couch Potato
  • DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #1582 on: October 11, 2018, 12:47:25 PM »
I had a guy zip out with me bearing down on him.  I had to hit my brakes.  Wait 30 more seconds.  Do the safe thing.
I don't like country music, but I don't mean to denigrate those who do. And for the people who like country music, denigrate means 'put down'.” - Bob Newhart
So wait, we're spelling it wrong and king is spelling it right? What is going on here? :lol -- BlobVanDam

Offline bosk1

• King of Misdirection
  • Administrator
  • Bow down to Boskaryus
« Reply #1583 on: October 11, 2018, 12:55:13 PM »
^I agree with that.  But I've also gotten to a point where I cut people more slack on that than I used to because I have found myself in situations where I have unintentionally done that very thing.  For instance, I have been focused more on the fact that my own lane is slow, and I saw what looked like a good opening, only to find that there was someone farther back in that lane (or who had similarly cut over from farther back at the same time) that is now bearing down on me.  And if I am driving the van instead of my own car, the acceleration can be a lot slower, so it looks like I am one of those guys who cuts over and then is insistent on driving slower than I should.  That isn't the case--it's just that it takes awhile to get up to speed sometimes.  So, again, while I side with you, I try not to make the knee jerk reaction because there might be other circumstances at play, such as ones I have found myself in.
"The Supreme Court of the United States has descended from the disciplined legal reasoning of John Marshall and Joseph Story to the mystical aphorisms of the fortune cookie."

Offline Cool Chris

• DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #1584 on: October 11, 2018, 12:58:54 PM »
How one vegan/vegetarian/picky eater can ruin a party/potluck.

My hypothetical department at work has 8 people and to reward their hard work, their manager is ordering pizza. An order of three pizzas of various varieties cut in to 8 slices each would allocate each employee 3 slices of their choosing. Except Betty can't have anything other than cheese on their pizza, so to accommodate her, the order is now 1 cheese pizza and 2 pizzas of different varieties. Assuming the other 7 don't want pizza with just cheese on it (because seriously, who the hell would?), there is now 16 slices of the pizza for the other 7 people, or 2 for 5 people and 3 for the other 2. If those 5 people want a third slice, they have to get a slice of the cheese pizza, because Betty sure didn't eat it all, even though an entire pizza had to be ordered to suit her tastes/preferences.

Off to the 'There's a special place in Hell for <X>' thread to write about Betty.
"Nostalgia is just the ability to forget the things that sucked" - Nelson DeMille, 'Up Country'

Offline jingle.boy

• DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #1585 on: October 11, 2018, 01:06:17 PM »
Back on traffic.... 18-wheel truck drivers who feel the need to pass another slow moving truck while going up-fucking-hill on a 2-lane interstate.  The amount I saw this in my trip to/from NJ last weekend was maddening.  And a couple instances where - like referenced above - I was somewhat 'cutoff' for the truck to pull into the left lane and gradually pass another truck over the course of 3 or 4 miles.
I fear for the day when something happens on the right that is SO nuts that even Stadler says "That's crazy".
Remember the mark of a great vocalist is if TAC hates them with a special passion

Offline bosk1

• King of Misdirection
  • Administrator
  • Bow down to Boskaryus
« Reply #1586 on: October 11, 2018, 01:24:52 PM »
Back on traffic.... 18-wheel truck drivers who feel the need to pass another slow moving truck while going up-fucking-hill on a 2-lane interstate.  The amount I saw this in my trip to/from NJ last weekend was maddening.  And a couple instances where - like referenced above - I was somewhat 'cutoff' for the truck to pull into the left lane and gradually pass another truck over the course of 3 or 4 miles.

YES!   >:( :rant: :censored :lemmeseeurwarface:

:sosayweall:
"The Supreme Court of the United States has descended from the disciplined legal reasoning of John Marshall and Joseph Story to the mystical aphorisms of the fortune cookie."

Offline cramx3

• Chillest of the chill
  • DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #1587 on: October 11, 2018, 01:35:19 PM »

I'll 100% agree with this and while NJ driving is insane, I find this issue to be common everywhere in the US.  I just don't get why trucks feel the need to pass other trucks at such terrible times.  But I guess from the truck drivers perspective it's all, IDGAF about you in your car.  I can't stand driving roads with large trucks in general.

Online TAC

• DTF.org Alumni
  • Arthritic Metal Horns
« Reply #1588 on: October 11, 2018, 01:39:10 PM »
I don't know. I think a truck's gotta do what it needs to do. He has a right to pass. What I see more are a bunch of dicks not letting him go. I think trucks get a huge lack of respect, and in my experience they are generally operating pretty safely.
would have thought the same thing but seeing the OP was TAC i immediately thought Maiden or DT related
Winger Theater Forums........or WTF.  ;D
TAC got a higher score than me in the electronic round? Honestly, can I just drop out now? :lol

Online King Postwhore

• Couch Potato
  • DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #1589 on: October 11, 2018, 01:48:32 PM »
^I agree with that.  But I've also gotten to a point where I cut people more slack on that than I used to because I have found myself in situations where I have unintentionally done that very thing.  For instance, I have been focused more on the fact that my own lane is slow, and I saw what looked like a good opening, only to find that there was someone farther back in that lane (or who had similarly cut over from farther back at the same time) that is now bearing down on me.  And if I am driving the van instead of my own car, the acceleration can be a lot slower, so it looks like I am one of those guys who cuts over and then is insistent on driving slower than I should.  That isn't the case--it's just that it takes awhile to get up to speed sometimes.  So, again, while I side with you, I try not to make the knee jerk reaction because there might be other circumstances at play, such as ones I have found myself in.

This was a single lane situation  not on a highway.   I just think what's 30 seconds more in you life to be safe?

Offline cramx3

• Chillest of the chill
  • DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #1590 on: October 11, 2018, 01:50:21 PM »
I don't know. I think a truck's gotta do what it needs to do. He has a right to pass. What I see more are a bunch of dicks not letting him go. I think trucks get a huge lack of respect, and in my experience they are generally operating pretty safely.

Does it need to pass when there's a long line of cars already passing it?  I've had a lot of issues with unsafe trucks lately though here in NJ so my view is slightly tainted over the last couple months of almost being killed by them for their own ruthless aggression on the roads and using their large trucks like a bully.

Online TAC

• DTF.org Alumni
  • Arthritic Metal Horns
« Reply #1591 on: October 11, 2018, 01:55:03 PM »
It's definitely frustrating sharing the road with trucks. Driving in northern New Jersey is bad enough with just cars.
would have thought the same thing but seeing the OP was TAC i immediately thought Maiden or DT related
TAC got a higher score than me in the electronic round? Honestly, can I just drop out now? :lol

Offline jingle.boy

• DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #1592 on: October 11, 2018, 02:04:14 PM »

Safe doesn't mean that they aren't also being dicks.  Don't go all Stadler on us here now.  This isn't the "Things I find safe" thread.   :P

And, when the limit is 65, and they can't even get it up to 60 going uphill, why the fuck is it their right to pass another truck that can't get it up to 55?  One of those situations (it was in the mountains of PA), a double-trailer truck created a backlog as far back as I could see in my mirror.  Is that unsafe, no.. but it is beyond "mildly" irritating. 

Offline cramx3

• Chillest of the chill
  • DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #1593 on: October 11, 2018, 02:09:30 PM »

Safe doesn't mean that they aren't also being dicks.  Don't go all Stadler on us here now.  This isn't the "Things I find safe" thread.   :P

And, when the limit is 65, and they can't even get it up to 60 going uphill, why the fuck is it their right to pass another truck that can't get it up to 55?  One of those situations (it was in the mountains of PA), a double-trailer truck created a backlog as far back as I could see in my mirror.  Is that unsafe, no.. but it is beyond "mildly" irritating.

I'd say it's not safe to cause traffic.

Online TAC

• DTF.org Alumni
  • Arthritic Metal Horns
« Reply #1594 on: October 11, 2018, 02:39:28 PM »

Don't go all Stadler on us here now. 

That's not fair. There's only ONE comma in my entire post.

Unlike this:

In one less sentence than my post, you managed to have FOUR commas, one set of ()s, a set of ""s, and a ? mark.

So who's going all Stadler now? :P

Offline Stadler

• DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #1595 on: October 11, 2018, 02:46:28 PM »
But still no romanettes, and/or brackets.  Amateurs. 

Online King Postwhore

• Couch Potato
  • DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #1596 on: October 11, 2018, 02:48:50 PM »

He has spoken.

Online TAC

• DTF.org Alumni
  • Arthritic Metal Horns
« Reply #1597 on: October 11, 2018, 02:49:26 PM »

Training wheels, brother. Training wheels..

Offline cramx3

• Chillest of the chill
  • DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #1598 on: October 11, 2018, 02:57:21 PM »
 :lol

Offline jingle.boy

• DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #1599 on: October 11, 2018, 03:07:14 PM »

That's not fair. There's only ONE comma in my entire post.

ONE comma; SIX periods.  You're simply not that creative in your use of grammar. Or you can't combine multiple thoughts into a single sentence.  I could.  Also post.  That way.  If you would like.  :P

(you told me it was ok to bust your balls)

Unlike this:

In one less sentence than my post, you managed to have FOUR commas, one set of ()s, a set of ""s, and a ? mark.

So who's going all Stadler now? :P

Not the aspect I was referring to.  Grammar-wise... yeah, I went all 'Stadler' on ya.  I was talking about defending the indefensible.   :biggrin:

Offline pg1067

« Reply #1600 on: October 11, 2018, 05:53:22 PM »

My hypothetical department at work has 8 people and to reward their hard work, their manager is ordering pizza. An order of three pizzas of various varieties cut in to 8 slices each would allocate each employee 3 slices of their choosing. Except Betty can't have anything other than cheese on their pizza, so to accommodate her, the order is now 1 cheese pizza and 2 pizzas of different varieties. Assuming the other 7 don't want pizza with just cheese on it (because seriously, who the hell would?), there is now 16 slices of the pizza for the other 7 people, or 2 for 5 people and 3 for the other 2. If those 5 people want a third slice, they have to get a slice of the cheese pizza, because Betty sure didn't eat it all, even though an entire pizza had to be ordered to suit her tastes/preferences.

Off to the 'There's a special place in Hell for <X>' thread to write about Betty.

I know a fuck lot of people who like cheese pizza (including 50% of the people who live in my house).

In any event, I'm a notoriously picky eater, and I have ALWAYS -- at least as an adult -- told people not to do anything special to accommodate me.  If it's a potluck, then I can bring something I like, or, if I choose not to do that and don't like anything there, then I'll go without; no big deal.  If "Betty" is insisting that her pickiness be accommodated, then she's an inconsiderate bitch.

Online Adami

• Moderator of awesomeness
« Reply #1601 on: October 11, 2018, 06:03:02 PM »

I have no idea what happened, but this leads to a different perspective.

I am a life long vegetarian. Born one, will die one. I don't preach, I don't give anybody crap, I don't demand accommodations etc.

That said, sometimes people, when they realize I'm a vegetarian, will FORCE accommodations because they feel bad. I will have said don't worry about it, but they will insist again and again. It makes me feel insanely uncomfortable and now everyone has to deal with a salads (since people assume we only eat salad) and I just have to sit there and hate all of it.
fanticide.bandcamp.com

Offline Snow Dog

« Reply #1602 on: October 11, 2018, 09:07:59 PM »

I have no idea how many times I’ve driven home from Portland, OR. Countless. But there’s a stretch between Salem and Eugene that this happens every time. Every damn time, without fail. Left lane with three times or more the vehicles in the right lane. I don’t know how many times I was passing that line by driving in the right lane after pulling back into it after passing. You know, like one is *supposed* to do?

Offline Stadler

• DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #1603 on: October 11, 2018, 10:51:15 PM »

I have no idea how many times I’ve driven home from Portland, OR. Countless. But there’s a stretch between Salem and Eugene that this happens every time. Every damn time, without fail. Left lane with three times or more the vehicles in the right lane. I don’t know how many times I was passing that line by driving in the right lane after pulling back into it after passing. You know, like one is *supposed* to do?

Welcome to my world.  That's more common than not in my experience.  I drove about 2 and a half hours (each way) to see Slash Tuesday, and the ride home was 95% in the right lane.   

Offline Train of Naught

• I sympathize, with a cockroach
  • .....and a cockroach
« Reply #1604 on: October 12, 2018, 12:49:41 AM »

The first sentence is a bit confusing. In this particular scenario, is it a vegetarian or just a picky eater that refuses to eatiterally anything but cheese? That just seems oddly specific and something I've never heard of. Vegand don't eat animal products, so cheese would be out of the question.

And I think it's rather petty for the couple of people from the other 7 to be complaining that they 'need' to have one slice of pizza without meat to suit the needs of the vegetarian (in the case that it wasnt just a very picky eater). But again, I just cannot understand how anyone can be in a scenario where the only thing someone can have on pizza is cheese?? Are some people really that picky with their food?

But to be honest, I feel like the vegetarians shoud not expect to be accomodated to automatically in any case like pg said. 2 days ago, my friends bought some pizzas. They got one vegetarian one and simply let me have a couple more slices of that one. Everyone's super easy about it pretty much everywhere I go, maybe it depends on the area?
people on this board are actual music fans who developed taste in music and not casual listeners who are following current fashion trends and listening to only current commercial hits.

Online Indiscipline

• Ponce
  • DTF.org Alumni
  • Apply IMO --->
« Reply #1605 on: October 12, 2018, 03:46:39 AM »

I'm totally getting your point of view, but I still fail to find cause for irritation in a free-pizza-at-work scenario.  :)

Offline pg1067

« Reply #1606 on: October 12, 2018, 11:23:37 AM »

Welcome to my world.  That's more common than not in my experience.  I drove about 2 and a half hours (each way) to see Slash Tuesday, and the ride home was 95% in the right lane.

I have to say that this stuff is quite amusing to someone who's lived in Southern California his entire life.  I'm like..."your freeways have only two lanes?!"  Our version of this is when some asshat feels the need to drive the speed limit in the #1 lane.

I'm totally getting your point of view, but I still fail to find cause for irritation in a free-pizza-at-work scenario.  :)

Exactly.

Offline Chino

• Be excellent to each other.
  • DT.net Veteran
« Reply #1607 on: October 12, 2018, 02:08:09 PM »
I posted this last year in the work gripe thread.

I'm playing the asshole card this morning.

The vegetarians in my department.

We have two vegetarians in our department of 34 people. Both are vegetarians not because of ethical animal concerns, but because of fitness goals. Once a quarter we have a quarterly birthday party and on days like today we'll set aside an hour and a half for a potluck. Every. Single. Person. that contributes to these things feels like they have to accommodate these two guys. Every item in conference room so far is vegetarian. We're having six large pizzas delivered, and THREE of them are veggie (5 if you count the two pies that are just cheese). What the fuck? I get it, there are vegetarians in the office, but do the two of them warrant HALF (5) of our greasy goodnesses to not have meat on them? Only one of the pizzas has meat and it's a pepperoni. 1 pizza with meat for a department of 34. It's a damn shame cause this place makes slamming meat based pizzas.

One guy a few cubes down was just bragging "I brought in cauliflower wings". If I didn't tell you otherwise, you'd swear they were boneless chicken wings. Go fuck yourself, Mitch. You're not fooling anyone with that shit.

/rant

I stand by what I said.

Online Adami

• Moderator of awesomeness
« Reply #1608 on: October 12, 2018, 03:26:36 PM »
Are you mad at the vegetarians? Like I said, sometimes people uncomfortably accommodate us (often not though, we're usually just ignored and can't eat anything) and we don't like it. Unless your two people were demanding accommodations, then I wouldn't be angry at them. Not that you are. I dunno.
fanticide.bandcamp.com

Online King Postwhore

• Couch Potato
  • DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #1609 on: October 12, 2018, 03:30:39 PM »
Odell Beckham Jr.