Author Topic: Things that I find mildly irritating v.2  (Read 306989 times)

Offline pg1067

Re: Things that I find mildly irritating v.2
« Reply #1330 on: August 16, 2018, 12:38:10 PM »
Joggers/runners on the road are annoying... but don't get me started on bicyclists on the road....

I hate bicyclists. I hate how they will pick and choose which road laws they follow.

This...to the nth degree.  The way I drive home from work, I get off the freeway onto a street that has three lanes of traffic both ways with a 45MPH speed limit.  A few hundreds yards after I turn right onto that street, it curves about 45 degrees to the left at a "Y" intersection with another similar street.  The speed limit then drops to 40MPH.  I drive about half a mile and then make a left turn into my residential area.  A few months ago, while I was waiting at the "Y" intersection, a bicyclist turned right onto my street.  He then started to veer to the left, as if he was going to turn left at the first intersection.  My light turned green, and I proceeded in the middle of the lane.  The bicyclist then started veering to the right.  He couldn't have been going more than 15-20MPH, and I had probably accelerated to 30+MPH at that point, and I was trying to figure out what he was going to do.  I finally picked a side on which to pass him and briefly honked my horn, and this idiot reacted as though I had just killed his dog.  I'm thinking, "WTF, dude."

The other thing I see now and then is when they ride in packs and basically occupy half the road.  These are folks on high performance bikes, but they're still not doing more than 30MPH or so, and they cause traffic jams.

As for what happens at green lights, the problem is almost invariably folks using the red light as an opportunity to text or e-mail.
"There's a bass solo in a song called Metropolis where I do a bass solo."  John Myung

Offline Cool Chris

• DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #1331 on: August 16, 2018, 01:00:32 PM »
But bicycles are saving the environment, you Right-Wing, Conservative-voting, toxic emission-spewing, gas-guzzling car-driving assholes.

Or so I have been informed.

But yeah, some, not all, bicyclists feel they are not only entitled to as much of the road as those evil cars, but are also not bound by the same rules of the road.

"Nostalgia is just the ability to forget the things that sucked" - Nelson DeMille, 'Up Country'

Offline Snow Dog

« Reply #1332 on: August 16, 2018, 02:17:28 PM »
but once a passing lane comes up, they turn into Jeff fucking Gordon (or if they’re a woman, fucking Danica Patrick)

Your comma usage ruins my fantasy!

Very intentionally phrased as such, but only for the part after the comma (lucky Aaron Rodgers...). No consideration was placed for any verbiage prior to that point, but there certainly should have been. My eternal apologies.  :blush

:biggrin:

Offline gmillerdrake

• Proud Father.....Blessed Husband
  • DTF.org Alumni
  • 1 Timothy 2:5
« Reply #1333 on: August 20, 2018, 08:13:03 AM »
Men (or women but it's primarily men) who when shaking your hand feel the need to try and crush every bone in your hand. Look....I'm all for a firm handshake, I was taught that. Give a firm shake/grip and look the other person in the eye when doing so.

But, I've ran into several guys who think that 'firm handshake' means give the other guy nerve damage or crush every bone in his hand. To me that's a jackass move.
Without Faith.....Without Hope.....There can be No Peace of Mind

Offline lordxizor

• EZBoard Elder
  • and that is the truth.
« Reply #1334 on: August 20, 2018, 09:41:55 AM »
Men (or women but it's primarily men) who when shaking your hand feel the need to try and crush every bone in your hand. Look....I'm all for a firm handshake, I was taught that. Give a firm shake/grip and look the other person in the eye when doing so.

But, I've ran into several guys who think that 'firm handshake' means give the other guy nerve damage or crush every bone in his hand. To me that's a jackass move.
Agreed. It is stupid as hell, and yet a lot of people will somehow make sound like it's a good thing that guy has a strong handshake as if it's somehow a measure of his masculinity or something.

Along the same lines, my sister has a friend who love to give giant bear hugs. Not just a normal hug, but a rib crushing hug. This woman has literally broken the ribs of three people giving these hugs. What is completely bizarre to me is that she still does it! Break one person's ribs, chalk it up to a fluke maybe, but after two I think it's time to back off. By the third person, you're just being an asshole.

Offline pg1067

« Reply #1335 on: August 20, 2018, 12:45:36 PM »

More than that...I can't stand the people who squeeze the second that the two hands make contact, which usually results in the other person getting his/her fingertips squeezed and not being able to reciprocate.  It ends up being very awkward.
"There's a bass solo in a song called Metropolis where I do a bass solo."  John Myung

Offline Adami

• Moderator of awesomeness
« Reply #1336 on: August 20, 2018, 12:48:30 PM »

But if I don't crush your hand, how else will you know how big my penis is?
fanticide.bandcamp.com

Offline Chino

• Be excellent to each other.
  • DT.net Veteran
« Reply #1337 on: August 20, 2018, 12:56:12 PM »
How else is a potential boss going to gauge how well I can manage spreadsheets?

Offline Indiscipline

• Ponce
  • DTF.org Alumni
  • Apply IMO --->
« Reply #1338 on: August 20, 2018, 12:59:53 PM »

Give me your penis to shake. I will instantly know and you're gonna revaluate the virtues of a gentle grip.

Everybody wins.

Online jingle.boy

• I'm so ronery; so sad and ronery
  • DTF.org Alumni
  • DTF's resident deceased dictator
« Reply #1339 on: August 20, 2018, 02:03:09 PM »
One of my rules of life (yes, I have a list) is "have a firm handshake, but never shake a woman's hand more firmly than she"

For those goombas that walk up with a hand is more like a 5-pack of sausages, I brace for impact, and get ready to give as strong as I'm getting.
That's a word salad - and take it from me, I know word salad
I fear for the day when something happens on the right that is SO nuts that even Stadler says "That's crazy".
Quote from: Puppies_On_Acid
Remember the mark of a great vocalist is if TAC hates them with a special passion

Offline Adami

« Reply #1340 on: August 20, 2018, 02:03:40 PM »

Give me your penis to shake. I will instantly know and you're gonna revaluate the virtues of a gentle grip.

Everybody wins.

I feel like this is what got Harvey Weinstein in trouble.
fanticide.bandcamp.com

Offline Indiscipline

• Ponce
  • DTF.org Alumni
  • Apply IMO --->
« Reply #1341 on: August 20, 2018, 02:20:10 PM »
*lols*

Offline King Postwhore

• Couch Potato
  • DTF.org Alumni
  • Take that Beethoven, you deaf bastard!!
« Reply #1342 on: August 20, 2018, 03:05:33 PM »
Not unless a potted plant was involved.
I don't like country music, but I don't mean to denigrate those who do. And for the people who like country music, denigrate means 'put down'.” - Bob Newhart
So wait, we're spelling it wrong and king is spelling it right? What is going on here? :lol -- BlobVanDam
"Oh, I am definitely a jackass!" - TAC

Offline SystematicThought

• DTF.org Member
  • Carpe Diem-2020
« Reply #1343 on: August 20, 2018, 08:56:13 PM »
The handshake thing always reminds me of in King of the Hill when Hank met George Bush and shook his hand only to find it was a limp handshake

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=NKmoze-hlXU

Always awkward when the other person squeezes too soon and all they get is your fingers...very awkward and I always feel like they are judging you for it.
God have mercy on a man
Who doubts what he's sure of.
-Bruce Springsteen

Offline TAC

• DTF.org Alumni
  • Arthritic Metal Horns
« Reply #1344 on: August 20, 2018, 09:09:27 PM »
I think I do handshakes pretty well, but every now and then I get beat and all the guy gets is fingers. I will call for an immediate do-over.
would have thought the same thing but seeing the OP was TAC i immediately thought Maiden or DT related
Winger Theater Forums........or WTF.  ;D
TAC got a higher score than me in the electronic round? Honestly, can I just drop out now? :lol

Offline Adami

« Reply #1345 on: August 20, 2018, 09:15:31 PM »

That's how you do a handshake.
fanticide.bandcamp.com

Offline TAC

• DTF.org Alumni
  • Arthritic Metal Horns
« Reply #1346 on: August 20, 2018, 09:33:02 PM »
So, I have a gripe. For most of out trip, we had a very nice time share, but for the last few nights we stayed at a Hampton Inn. We always stay there when we can. Good standards and a free breakfast. Anyway, we stayed last night at the one near the SF airport. Now, I know some of you travel for work, but here's my thing....
...where they serve breakfast, there is limited seating. But it usually moves along. Today, there was a guy on his computer just sitting there doing work. He was clearly doing work, because he had a spreadsheet open with paper invoices or something spread out. He wasn't even fucking eating. GTFO!! People are coming down for breakfast and have nowhere to sit.
would have thought the same thing but seeing the OP was TAC i immediately thought Maiden or DT related
TAC got a higher score than me in the electronic round? Honestly, can I just drop out now? :lol

Offline cramx3

• Chillest of the chill
  • DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #1347 on: August 21, 2018, 01:58:12 AM »
So, I have a gripe. For most of out trip, we had a very nice time share, but for the last few nights we stayed at a Hampton Inn. We always stay there when we can. Good standards and a free breakfast. Anyway, we stayed last night at the one near the SF airport. Now, I know some of you travel for work, but here's my thing....
...where they serve breakfast, there is limited seating. But it usually moves along. Today, there was a guy on his computer just sitting there doing work. He was clearly doing work, because he had a spreadsheet open with paper invoices or something spread out. He wasn't even fucking eating. GTFO!! People are coming down for breakfast and have nowhere to sit.

True, if there's a wait and he's not eating, go do your work in the lobby or your room.   Some of those hotels with free breakfast (holiday inn express is where I stay a lot) you have these crazy rushes for breakfast near the end of serving time. 

Offline Indiscipline

• Ponce
  • DTF.org Alumni
  • Apply IMO --->
« Reply #1348 on: August 21, 2018, 07:09:40 AM »
Bee through the car's window and straight into the sleeve when one sting can kill you in 5 minutes.

Boy that was close.

Offline Stadler

• DTF.org Alumni
  • Pointing out the "unfunny" since 2014!
« Reply #1349 on: August 21, 2018, 07:36:27 AM »

I thought you were going in a different direction:  we stayed in New York this weekend, and supposedly "11:00 pm to 7:00 am" are quiet time.   There is no bar in the hotel, and no room service.  We were on the 26th floor, where there are only about 6 or 7 rooms (it's a New York hotel).   BOTH NIGHTS, like clockwork, around 11:20, 11:30, some guy came back to (or out of, I wasn't watching that close) his room, yells over to someone else, door slams, more yelling, door slams again.    I get it, it's all of 10 minutes, and believe me, I didn't lose a minute of sleep on that (figuratively or literally) but still.   

Offline Stadler

• DTF.org Alumni
  • Pointing out the "unfunny" since 2014!
« Reply #1350 on: August 21, 2018, 12:08:18 PM »
https://www.msn.com/en-us/sports/nfl/twitter-stunned-by-adam-vinatieris-huge-preseason-kick/ar-BBMca4N?ocid=ientp

Is Twitter really stunned?  Were the servers knocked off kilter for a moment?   Were they the electronic version of speechless?  Did the algorithms freeze over this?

If we put half the effort into curing cancer that we do into being hip, we'd live to 275 years old.   

Offline mike099

• do or do not; there is no try
« Reply #1351 on: August 21, 2018, 12:51:24 PM »
I have been watching the Little League World Series for 50 Years and have always been irritated that there is a US bracket and an international bracket.   If you want a fair tournament, have all teams be in a random draw.  If an American team makes the final, they earned it.
Quote from: Flying BIZKIT

Yeah, I hate when I visit the local circus and all they fucking play is Haken.

Offline pg1067

« Reply #1352 on: August 21, 2018, 02:00:33 PM »
I have been watching the Little League World Series for 50 Years and have always been irritated that there is a US bracket and an international bracket.   If you want a fair tournament, have all teams be in a random draw.  If an American team makes the final, they earned it.

Don't hold your breath.

I find it amusing that Little League gets all the publicity when, in my opinion, the game played in PONY leagues is far superior in pretty much every way.  Kids who are 11-13 yo playing on 60' bases and 200' fences is ridiculous.

Offline Snow Dog

« Reply #1353 on: August 21, 2018, 02:25:51 PM »
Vulture salespeople. I get it’s their job and living, but sometimes it’s a bit much.

Went into Guitar Center for new strings, but where it’s been a while since I’ve actually looked and played any guitars in-store there, I figured I’d at least see what was hanging on the walls. Walked into the store, was greeted by a salesman and asked, “You have any questions?”

“Nope, just looking.”

“Okay, just ask me if you need anything.” Okay, cool, I will. At this point they’ve made their effort to help, and I’ve made my point, I’d hoped, I don’t want to be bothered further and if I want help I’ll ask for it. I browse the electrics for a couple minutes and make my way to the acoustic room to peruse and see what they have. It couldn’t have been more than five minutes after the first encounter that the same guy pokes his head in. “Hey, bro, you got any questions?”

“Nope!” At which point I grabbed my strings and left. Nothing will chase me out of a store quicker than overeager salespeople. Again, I get it, they need to make money. But in sales, I thought the number one rule was “Read your audience...”

Offline cramx3

• Chillest of the chill
  • DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #1354 on: August 21, 2018, 02:39:00 PM »
Even worse are the sales people who then follow you around the store, not saying anything, but just watching you and making it uncomfortable to shop.

Offline Adami

« Reply #1355 on: August 21, 2018, 02:41:51 PM »
fanticide.bandcamp.com

Offline TAC

• DTF.org Alumni
  • Arthritic Metal Horns
« Reply #1356 on: August 21, 2018, 02:42:50 PM »
 :lol

Offline Snow Dog

« Reply #1357 on: August 21, 2018, 03:01:48 PM »
Even worse are the sales people who then follow you around the store, not saying anything, but just watching you and making it uncomfortable to shop.

Yup. They’re horrible too.

See: Furniture salespeople.

Offline Chino

• DT.net Veteran
« Reply #1358 on: August 21, 2018, 03:57:59 PM »

I bought a new mattress last year at Raymore and Flannigan and had a sales guy like this. Every fucking mattress we stopped and looked at the tag of, he felt the need to chime in. We'd lay down and start talking about how it felt, and we couldn't finish the sentence before the guy tried to make a sale. I wasn't in the best mood that day and said something to him like "Sir, I plan on dropping $2k in here tonight. Let us look on our own or we're leaving. Your words aren't going to convince my back how the mattress feels".

Offline pg1067

« Reply #1359 on: August 21, 2018, 05:29:37 PM »

Oh man....when my wife and I were first living together, we were looking for some piece of furniture or another at a store like Levitz (is that even still around).  We did the whole "we're just looking" thing, but the lurking sales people proved too much for us.  We ended up playing a mock game of hide and seek while laughing our asses off before eventually making our way to the store exit.

Offline ReaperKK

• Sweeter After Difficulty
  • DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #1360 on: August 21, 2018, 05:35:30 PM »
Vulture salespeople. I get it’s their job and living, but sometimes it’s a bit much.

Went into Guitar Center for new strings, but where it’s been a while since I’ve actually looked and played any guitars in-store there, I figured I’d at least see what was hanging on the walls. Walked into the store, was greeted by a salesman and asked, “You have any questions?”

“Nope, just looking.”

“Okay, just ask me if you need anything.” Okay, cool, I will. At this point they’ve made their effort to help, and I’ve made my point, I’d hoped, I don’t want to be bothered further and if I want help I’ll ask for it. I browse the electrics for a couple minutes and make my way to the acoustic room to peruse and see what they have. It couldn’t have been more than five minutes after the first encounter that the same guy pokes his head in. “Hey, bro, you got any questions?”

“Nope!” At which point I grabbed my strings and left. Nothing will chase me out of a store quicker than overeager salespeople. Again, I get it, they need to make money. But in sales, I thought the number one rule was “Read your audience...”

This is why I don't go into guitar center anymore. I used to love going in there and playing around but over time they've become too pushy.

I respect the instruments, I don't play around with anything I'm not considering buying, get out of my face.

Offline King Postwhore

• Couch Potato
  • DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #1361 on: August 21, 2018, 06:47:11 PM »
You guys need to up your game and ask the stupidest questions.   I seriously do that to scare them away.
I don't like country music, but I don't mean to denigrate those who do. And for the people who like country music, denigrate means 'put down'.” - Bob Newhart
So wait, we're spelling it wrong and king is spelling it right? What is going on here? :lol -- BlobVanDam

Offline Chino

• DT.net Veteran
« Reply #1362 on: August 21, 2018, 07:10:03 PM »
But I don't want to play a game. I want to look, exchange currency, and then leave. I prefer to spend as little time in retail establishments as possible.

Offline King Postwhore

• Couch Potato
  • DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #1363 on: August 21, 2018, 07:16:39 PM »
I would too but it's like messing with a sales call. I've become deft at it.

Offline Snow Dog

« Reply #1364 on: August 21, 2018, 07:23:31 PM »
You guys need to up your game and ask the stupidest questions.   I seriously do that to scare them away.

I’ll have to try this next time. Would have come in handy today.

“Hey, bro, you got any questions?”

“Yeah, bro, where do you keep your seven-string acoustics? I don’t see any here.”