Author Topic: Sleep  (Read 2913 times)

Offline Fiery Winds

• DTF.org Alumni
Re: Sleep
« Reply #35 on: June 02, 2021, 09:05:33 PM »
I've had similar sleep issues (except sleep paralysis), and have had similar success in reducing caffeine intake (zero calorie sodas for me) and making sure I don't eat at least a couple hours before bed.

That said, an unusual sleeping remedy I've adopted in the last year (we'll see how well it works this summer without AC) has made a significant impact in reducing my restlessness throughout the night; I use a 17lb weighted blanket doubled up and the extra pressure is great.

Also, apparently some people regulate their body temperature better with/without socks/clothes, which has also made a difference in the quality of my sleep. With socks, I'm cold and restless. Without, I'm toasty and sometimes even sweating a bit.

Offline crazy climber dude

« Reply #36 on: June 02, 2021, 09:08:59 PM »

I have found listening to some ASMR when I lay down helps me sleep too.

Have you ever watched the YT videos? There's a Russian born American woman who is PHENOMENAL. If I am having particular difficulties falling asleep.....I watch one of her MANY videos and I fall asleep without fail. She has a certain sound and cadence to her voice that is ridiculously calming and sleep inducing. She also knows how to make things crinkle a certain way that is hypnotic, not distracting.....she definitely understands textures/sounds. There are several others who are good as well, but hers are indispensable. Her real name is Maria Viktorovna, but she goes by "Gentle Whispering".

She's also easy on the eyes, which is ancillary....but not exactly a dissuader either.  :biggrin:

Online Stadler

• DTF.org Alumni
  • Pointing out the "unfunny" since 2014!
« Reply #37 on: June 03, 2021, 07:50:44 AM »
That said, an unusual sleeping remedy I've adopted in the last year (we'll see how well it works this summer without AC) has made a significant impact in reducing my restlessness throughout the night; I use a 17lb weighted blanket doubled up and the extra pressure is great.

My stepson has one of those and he loves it; he's very sensitive to those types of things.  We've been working on the assumption that he has sensory processing disorder for quite some time, and when we finally figured out he was on the spectrum, that was confirmed as well.  He will often come home from school, strip down to his underwear, and then wrap himself in a thick blanket.

Offline kirksnosehair

• DTF.org Alumni
  • Bryce & Kylie's Grandpa
« Reply #38 on: June 03, 2021, 08:04:32 AM »
If I'm lucky, I'll get five hours of broken sleep. This goes for 4 or 5 days, at which time I'm exhausted and can sleep 6 hours. Rinse and repeat.

Not trying to contradict KNH, but there are actually numerous side effects for Ambien. Most physicians, due to liability issues, will either not prescribe Ambien at all, or will do so for a minimal period time. If you happen to have one that will allow you to stay on it long-term, you're very lucky.

Well, I can only cite my own personal experience but I've had 3 doctors in the last 12 years and none of them had any problem prescribing me Ambien as a medical necessity.  My chronic insomnia is well-documented and the relatively harmless side-effects of Ambien are far less troubling than the potentially severe consequences of long-term sleep deprivation.  Also, I've been taking it almost since it came on the market and I've never had a single side effect, but obviously YMMV.  Not every person is going to have the same experience with it.  All I know is I sleep like a baby with it and without it I sleep more like you do, emtee, so I'll keep taking this shit as long as they'll keep prescribing it.

I hear you Brother. I wanted to take it SO bad. My mom had a very bad episode where she woke in the morning not remembering anything but had multiple bottles of meds and Tums etc laying on her nightstand. It freaked her out so bad wondering what she took, that she stopped taking Ambien the next day. Also had a good friend get up in the middle of the night, grab the car keys and took a drive. Her hubby asked her, WTF were you doing. She remembered nothing.

I think it would really help me though.

Also, I had a horrible episode of sleep paralysis when I was about 15. Horrible memory. Seeing demons at the foot of the bed. Feeling of levitating. Unable to move. And when I came out of it, I realized I was not breathing. I felt like I was going to die. And then the air rushed back into my lungs. It was very scary and disturbing.

I have seen stories online of people who take Ambien and drink a little bit of alcohol and end up sleep-walking.  That's a pretty common side-effect.  I don't know if I could live without it in the long term.  I've gone without it plenty of times.  Mostly from running out and forgetting to get it refilled.  I still sleep without it, but it's fitful tossing and turning all night and I don't get a lot of actual rest.  Ambien was a real life-changer for me, but I totally understand some folks being hesitant to take a habit-forming drug to go to sleep every night.  For me it felt pretty close to a life and death decision so when I made the decision to take it daily (on my doctor's advice) I decided that I was going to figure out what the lowest possible effective dose was for me and stick with that.  Luckily I only need about 1.25mg a night for it to work. 

Offline Cool Chris

• DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #39 on: June 03, 2021, 10:58:04 PM »

I have found listening to some ASMR when I lay down helps me sleep too.

Have you ever watched the YT videos? There's a Russian born American woman who is PHENOMENAL. If I am having particular difficulties falling asleep.....I watch one of her MANY videos and I fall asleep without fail. She has a certain sound and cadence to her voice that is ridiculously calming and sleep inducing. She also knows how to make things crinkle a certain way that is hypnotic, not distracting.....she definitely understands textures/sounds. There are several others who are good as well, but hers are indispensable. Her real name is Maria Viktorovna, but she goes by "Gentle Whispering".

She's also easy on the eyes, which is ancillary....but not exactly a dissuader either.  :biggrin:

Yeah I know her. I think she makes solid videos. But her voice is almost too quiet. There is a sweet spot of volume, tone, inflection, and cadence, than not many ASMRists can hit for me. I don't know how to describe it, I just know it when I hear it.
"Nostalgia is just the ability to forget the things that sucked" - Nelson DeMille, 'Up Country'

Online hunnus2000

« Reply #40 on: June 04, 2021, 09:35:09 AM »
As far as sleep paralysis goes - I always thought that was just dreaming. I used to have dreams where I hear someone is trying to break in the house, loud noises and and I am fighting someone with my hands. I'm trying desperately to wake up and when I finally do, I find out that the loud noise is my wife snoring and my 10 pound min-pin is stretching his legs and paws into my back.   :lol

Offline Architeuthis

« Reply #41 on: June 07, 2021, 04:52:23 AM »
I have experienced sleep paralysis and it's not fun at all, plus, I have experienced it and I feel a terror an evil presence in the room and it scares the shit out of me, it has happened like 3-4 times in my life.

I was reading about sleep paralysis and sleep demons the other day, here's the article I read:

https://health.clevelandclinic.org/what-you-should-know-about-sleep-paralysis-and-sleep-demons/
I've never experienced sleep paralysis, but the evil presence, many times.  At least once or twice a month, I'll dream that I have awakened and I'll reach over to my bedside to turn the light on and it doesn't come on. I then feel this presence in the room and I'll get up and go to turn on the main overhead lightswitch and it doesn't work either. I then get freaked out enough to where I'll wake up for real and reach over to find the light actually works, with a sigh of relief.

I am not a good sleeper, its 3 a.m. right now and I'm making this post. I can go to bed dead tired and as soon as I hit my pillow, my wheels start turning. Anxieties of life and the pressures and demands of this world are a sleep killer. When I do sleep, I always have very vivid colorful dreams. Some really good and others bad, and some downright bizarre.

My poor sleep habits could lead to my demise eventually.   
« Last Edit: June 07, 2021, 03:14:04 PM by Architeuthis »
You can do a lot in a lifetime if you don't burn out too fast, you can make the most of the distance, first you need endurance first you've got to last....... NP

Offline Kotowboy

• Yes THAT Kotowboy.
  • DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #42 on: June 21, 2021, 02:11:23 AM »
One of the most frustrating things in life is not falling asleep when you desperately need it. It's really fucking annoying
yeah just like you kotowboy are you ever happy?

Yesterday I did an 11 hour shift at work carrying food to table for about 9 hours straight. Had no coffee all day. Got home. Chilled out for an hour.

Went to bed. NOPE. Still awake at 9am the next day.

I love when people say " Oh you were TOO tired ". That's like saying the water didn't put out the fire as it was TOO wet.

Offline Zoom E

« Reply #43 on: June 24, 2021, 08:00:32 PM »
I’m not a great sleeper. According to my FitBit sleep tracker I average about 6 hours a night, although when I am lying awake staring at the ceiling it says I am light sleeping, so I think it over-estimates my sleep.  I do take zopiclone a few times a month. Just half a pill knocks me out. It’s highly addictive so I try not to take it too often. Guess that’s why it's banned in the U.S.

Has anyone watched the Headspace Guide to Sleep on Netflix. They are 15 minute-ish episodes that are very soothing to watch right before going to bed.

Online TAC

• DTF.org Alumni
  • Arthritic Metal Horns
« Reply #44 on: June 24, 2021, 08:11:57 PM »
I put West Coast baseball on when I go to bed.

The problem is, we've taken our last two summer vacations in California. Well, West Coast baseball gets over a lot earlier there! :lol
would have thought the same thing but seeing the OP was TAC i immediately thought Maiden or DT related
Winger Theater Forums........or WTF.  ;D
TAC got a higher score than me in the electronic round? Honestly, can I just drop out now? :lol

Offline MrBoom_shack-a-lack

• I hit things for a living!
  • DTF.org Member
« Reply #45 on: June 24, 2021, 09:56:23 PM »
I don't think i've ever experienced SP, I had to google it actually and that sounds really scary. I never thought about the fact that your brain shuts off muscles during REM sleep.
Sleeping and dreaming is an interesting subject to read about.

I'm better with age on handling trouble with sleeping, whenever that happens I just try to not get stressed about it and just try to think about other things. Watching some ASMR is actually great or listening to a soundbook.

When I had my knee and finger injury my right leg and right arm had casts so sleeping was a challenge. I pretty much could only sleep on my back and that was new for me since i'm a full on side sleeper.
"I said to Nigel Tufnel, 'The door is open if you want to do anything on this record,' but it turns out Nigel has a phobia about doors." /Derek Smalls