Author Topic: Charlie Dominici tells a story about John Myung  (Read 4838 times)

Online Schurftkut

Charlie Dominici tells a story about John Myung
« on: January 26, 2017, 02:39:45 PM »
I never saw this before, sorry if repost ;-)

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=XwW3tFVOjrE

Offline Madman Shepherd

Re: Charlie Dominici tells a story about John Myung
« Reply #1 on: January 26, 2017, 03:13:46 PM »
Never heard that tidbit before.  That's pretty awesome. 

Offline noxon

• Fan Club Professional
« Reply #2 on: January 26, 2017, 03:15:54 PM »
I have heard that before! ;)

(since i'm the guy on the other end of that interview)

Offline rumborak

• DT.net Veteran
« Reply #3 on: January 26, 2017, 04:38:20 PM »
"I liked when Myung looked like a women's figure skating champion."

Offline Mebert78

• DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #4 on: February 01, 2017, 10:42:54 AM »
Funny story!  Thanks for sharing. :)
An unofficial online community for fans of keyboardist Kevin Moore (ex-Dream Theater, Chroma Key, OSI):

Offline bosk1

• King of Misdirection
  • Administrator
  • Bow down to Boskaryus
« Reply #5 on: February 01, 2017, 10:48:01 AM »
I know John Myung is a grown man that doesn't need me (or anyone else) to be offended for him.  But whenever Charlie makes a comment about him, it almost always seems like it is in poor taste and has offensive racial overtones.
"The Supreme Court of the United States has descended from the disciplined legal reasoning of John Marshall and Joseph Story to the mystical aphorisms of the fortune cookie."

Online Schurftkut

« Reply #6 on: February 01, 2017, 12:06:03 PM »
did you read Charlie's AMA on reddit? That was horrible..

Offline Adami

• Moderator of awesomeness
« Reply #7 on: February 01, 2017, 12:07:07 PM »
I know John Myung is a grown man that doesn't need me (or anyone else) to be offended for him.  But whenever Charlie makes a comment about him, it almost always seems like it is in poor taste and has offensive racial overtones.

It was perfectly fine until he went into the grasshopper thing in a bad accent. Then I had to face palm.
fanticide.bandcamp.com

Offline Sir GuitarCozmo

• Official Forum Sous Chef and broler5
  • DTF.org Alumni
  • Kelly Clarkson BEEFS
« Reply #8 on: February 01, 2017, 12:47:10 PM »
JM heard about this interview and said

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=iQIUfqKcakE#t=88.45s

Offline Zydar

• Creep With Tonality
  • DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #9 on: February 01, 2017, 12:58:02 PM »

I wonder if JM will tweet about it? :justjen
Zydar is my new hero.  I just laughed so hard I nearly shat.

Offline Evai

Tweet
« Reply #10 on: February 01, 2017, 01:23:41 PM »
Bery mad about interview!  :tdwn #oppression #gonnatacklethisnobhead
Jordan took Moore's boring, pedestrian parts and elevated them considerably to take them from barely palatable to stellar.

Offline hefdaddy42

• Et in Arcadia Ego
  • Global Moderator
  • Postwhore Emeritus
« Reply #11 on: February 01, 2017, 01:54:25 PM »

I wonder if JM will tweet about it? :justjen
:metal
Hef is right on all things. Except for when I disagree with him. In which case he's probably still right.

Offline Kotowboy

• Yes THAT Kotowboy.
  • DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #12 on: February 01, 2017, 01:56:31 PM »
@JohnMyungBass
Feb 1 2017

@CharlieDominici

Offline RoeDent

• 2006 Time Magazine Person of the Year
« Reply #13 on: February 10, 2017, 12:18:37 PM »
The above post brought memories back of that whole sequence of "Myung" tweets along the lines of "I'm playing bass." Can't find it rn, but that was hilarious!  :rollin

EDIT: Found it! Now archive that baby!
« Last Edit: February 10, 2017, 12:24:38 PM by RoeDent »

Offline Herrick

• Hello Mangs
« Reply #14 on: February 13, 2017, 10:21:32 AM »

It was perfectly fine until he went into the grasshopper thing in a bad accent. Then I had to face palm.

I wonder if Myung is ok with those kind of jokes. 
DISPLAY thy Breasts, My Julia!

Offline Hourglass Prison

• DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #15 on: February 15, 2017, 11:33:10 AM »
I remember reading about how one time Chris Collins was introducing the other members at a club gig and he said something like "Ladies and Gentlemen, from the jungles of Korea, John Myung!" And after the show John grabbed him by the shirt collar and told him to never insult him or his family like that ever again.

So no, I'd say he's probably not cool with that kinda stuff. lol

Offline Herrick

• Hello Mangs
« Reply #16 on: February 15, 2017, 02:18:58 PM »
I remember reading about how one time Chris Collins was introducing the other members at a club gig and he said something like "Ladies and Gentlemen, from the jungles of Korea, John Myung!" And after the show John grabbed him by the shirt collar and told him to never insult him or his family like that ever again.

I see. Well in that case it was pretty douchebaggish of Dominci to say what he said.

Offline Hourglass Prison

• DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #17 on: February 21, 2017, 12:12:25 PM »

I see. Well in that case it was pretty douchebaggish of Dominci to say what he said.

Yeah, that's how it struck me as well.

Offline Madman Shepherd

« Reply #18 on: February 21, 2017, 03:11:05 PM »
While I agree Dominici's comment was tacky and in poor taste, I don't think JM necessarily cares about little jokes here and there.  The Chris Collins comment definitely seemed a bit far but DT has always kind of made similar jokes with John Myung.  He was a ninja in the cartoon they made for the concerts, Mike Portnoy said he looked like a kung fu artist in the 20 year documentary with Score, so while I think some white dude should drop the "oh wise one" schtick that seems to follow every Asian around (at least when it comes to white people), it's not really that much more offensive that other stuff said about him. 

Offline Herrick

• Hello Mangs
« Reply #19 on: February 21, 2017, 06:49:30 PM »
While I agree Dominici's comment was tacky and in poor taste, I don't think JM necessarily cares about little jokes here and there.  The Chris Collins comment definitely seemed a bit far but DT has always kind of made similar jokes with John Myung.  He was a ninja in the cartoon they made for the concerts, Mike Portnoy said he looked like a kung fu artist in the 20 year documentary with Score, so while I think some white dude should drop the "oh wise one" schtick that seems to follow every Asian around (at least when it comes to white people), it's not really that much more offensive that other stuff said about him.

I think Myung was taking some kind of martial arts back then or that's what Portnoy said in that documentary. I think. I haven't seen it in a long time.

Offline Madman Shepherd

« Reply #20 on: February 21, 2017, 09:42:51 PM »

I think Myung was taking some kind of martial arts back then or that's what Portnoy said in that documentary. I think. I haven't seen it in a long time.

His comment wasn't in reference to that.  He said John looks like a Kung Fu artist when referencing his long hair and his cool persona and his impression of him when first meeting him.

Offline Herrick

• Hello Mangs
« Reply #21 on: February 22, 2017, 09:52:46 AM »

His comment wasn't in reference to that.  He said John looks like a Kung Fu artist when referencing his long hair and his cool persona and his impression of him when first meeting him.

I see.