Author Topic: Guess what I'm printing v. Thread  (Read 3223 times)

Offline Chino

• Be excellent to each other.
  • DT.net Veteran
Guess what I'm printing v. Thread
« on: January 25, 2017, 04:30:16 AM »
Been getting into 3D printing lately. Having a blast with it so far. For the most part, most of what I print is downloaded from www.thingiverse.com, but I'm getting better and better at drawing in 3D with every attempt.

Let's play a game.

This one's just about 12.5 hours in. What am I printing?

Offline Elite

• The 'other' Rich
  • DTF.org Alumni
  • also, a tin teardrop
Re: Guess what I'm printing v. Thread
« Reply #1 on: January 25, 2017, 04:51:32 AM »
A coffee machine?
Hey dude slow the fuck down so we can finish together at the same time.  :biggrin:
Squ
scRa are the resultaten of sound nog bring propey

Offline Nekov

• DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #2 on: January 25, 2017, 05:37:16 AM »
A very complex dildo?
When Ginobili gets hot, I get hot in my pants. 

Offline gmillerdrake

• Proud Father.....Blessed Husband
  • DTF.org Alumni
  • 1 Timothy 2:5
« Reply #3 on: January 25, 2017, 06:31:55 AM »
Looks like a car battery cover?
Without Faith.....Without Hope.....There can be No Peace of Mind

Offline Chino

• DT.net Veteran
« Reply #4 on: January 25, 2017, 06:49:06 AM »
All of the above are not correct.

Hints:

- My print volume is only 4.7" ^3
- Color is fairly accurate
- Movie

Offline hefdaddy42

• Et in Arcadia Ego
  • Global Moderator
  • Postwhore Emeritus
« Reply #5 on: January 25, 2017, 07:23:13 AM »
Flux capacitor?
Hef is right on all things. Except for when I disagree with him. In which case he's probably still right.

Offline Chino

• DT.net Veteran
« Reply #6 on: January 25, 2017, 07:24:37 AM »
Flux capacitor?

Negative. Though I do have an .stl saved for one in the future.

Offline Chino

• DT.net Veteran
« Reply #7 on: January 25, 2017, 01:35:16 PM »

Offline hefdaddy42

• Et in Arcadia Ego
  • Global Moderator
  • Postwhore Emeritus
« Reply #8 on: January 25, 2017, 01:36:46 PM »
Is it Ghostbusters related?
Hef is right on all things. Except for when I disagree with him. In which case he's probably still right.

Offline Chino

• DT.net Veteran
« Reply #9 on: January 25, 2017, 01:54:26 PM »
Go fish!

Offline cramx3

• Chillest of the chill
  • DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #10 on: January 25, 2017, 02:47:46 PM »
Almost looks like binoculars from Star Wars.  Had to google that, but it's not quite it although somewhat similar looking.

Offline Cool Chris

• DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #11 on: January 25, 2017, 02:53:31 PM »
What is the scale?
"Nostalgia is just the ability to forget the things that sucked" - Nelson DeMille, 'Up Country'

Offline Chino

• DT.net Veteran
« Reply #12 on: January 25, 2017, 08:04:11 PM »
No disassemble!!

Really happy with this print. Needs a little touching up, but not much. Total print time emwas 27 hours and 33 minutes.

Offline BlobVanDam

• Future Boy
  • DTF.org Alumni
  • Transform and rock out!
« Reply #13 on: January 25, 2017, 10:17:34 PM »
Damn, I actually thought it was part of Johnny 5, but was thinking it was the laser gun or body, and even checked pics. Didn't recognize it as the head.
Not a very accurate model at all, but still cool. Probably could have saved yourself a lot of plastic and time if it was split into pieces, instead of a solid block with all of that infill. I thought that Johnny 5 project was going to release their CAD files to the public? I could be wrong on that, and maybe it never happened.
Looks like you're using the old masking tape trick on the bed. Seems to work well for you. It also looks pretty straight for a print of that time in a printer with no cover. Is that PLA?
« Last Edit: January 25, 2017, 10:23:03 PM by BlobVanDam »
Only King could mis-spell a LETTER.
Yep. I think the only party in the MP/DT situation that hasn't moved on is DTF.

Offline Chino

• DT.net Veteran
« Reply #14 on: January 26, 2017, 04:43:50 AM »
Damn, I actually thought it was part of Johnny 5, but was thinking it was the laser gun or body, and even checked pics. Didn't recognize it as the head.
Not a very accurate model at all, but still cool. Probably could have saved yourself a lot of plastic and time if it was split into pieces, instead of a solid block with all of that infill. I thought that Johnny 5 project was going to release their CAD files to the public? I could be wrong on that, and maybe it never happened.
Looks like you're using the old masking tape trick on the bed. Seems to work well for you. It also looks pretty straight for a print of that time in a printer with no cover. Is that PLA?

Yeah, the head isn't that spot on, but I think the eyelids made it recognizable enough. It actually looks better in person. I purposely made a lot of infill on this model just to push the printer a bit. I've seen a lot of people experience layer shifting issues on larger prints, and I wanted to give it the opportunity to do so, and I wanted to see if it was capable of running around the clock (literally) without issue. I haven't seen anything in terms of a full model yet. The included tape is what came with the printer. I'm leaving that on until it no longer adheres. I'm honestly shocked it lasted this long. I have some of Build Talk printing surface ready to go when needed.

This print was PLA. I've had okay luck with ABS, but it can be tricky on this printer. The print bed can get up to 80C, so if the model is short along the z-axis, I can get away with it, but taller models struggle as the layers cool faster the higher you go, more often than not too fast. PLA is way easier to work with, but I really love the way ABS finishes (not as translucent), and I like the way you can make an acentone chamber to smooth out an ABS print.

Offline Chino

• DT.net Veteran
« Reply #15 on: January 26, 2017, 04:48:41 AM »
Next print. This one should be easy.

Offline BlobVanDam

• Future Boy
  • DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #16 on: January 26, 2017, 04:52:12 AM »
I probably wouldn't bother with ABS on that printer. It looks like you're getting quite good prints with PLA at the moment, and getting optimum results out of a 3D printer is one of the biggest pains. Also, what resolution are you printing at? 0.1? 0.2?

I'm guessing this is the Coliseum? All of those overhangs should test it good.

Offline Chino

• DT.net Veteran
« Reply #17 on: January 26, 2017, 05:02:38 AM »
Ding ding ding.

Printing at .1

Offline Chino

• DT.net Veteran
« Reply #18 on: January 26, 2017, 05:05:08 AM »
I'd did a colosseum before, but I was trying to see how small I could get something while still retaining decent complexity. While flawed, I was still really impressed.

Offline cramx3

• Chillest of the chill
  • DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #19 on: January 26, 2017, 07:20:13 AM »
Yea that's still pretty neat and you can still tell what it is at that small size

Offline gmillerdrake

• DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #20 on: January 26, 2017, 07:47:27 AM »
Damn, I actually thought it was part of Johnny 5,

so did I....almost typed 'no disassemble' and just didn't.

Very cool. How long until you think every household has one of these in it. meaning it's affordable for the average family? 10 years?

Offline rumborak

• DT.net Veteran
« Reply #21 on: January 26, 2017, 09:59:33 AM »

I printed this, as a similar test for our company printer. It's 'e', arranged in a spiral.
"I liked when Myung looked like a women's figure skating champion."

Offline Chino

• DT.net Veteran
« Reply #22 on: January 26, 2017, 10:26:34 AM »

Very cool. How long until you think every household has one of these in it. meaning it's affordable for the average family? 10 years?

Mine was only $200 and has been running around the clock non stop with a near zero failure rate. I'd say less than 5 years.

Offline rumborak

• DT.net Veteran
« Reply #23 on: January 26, 2017, 10:54:43 AM »
I have to say though, once you start designing your own stuff, it's kinda a pain in the butt. I created a rather simple device for my work (imagine a half cylinder with a few recessed areas) and took me quite a while to get a good print of it. Orientation, fill-in ratio, they all need to be tweaked. Overhangs are a nightmare.

Offline gmillerdrake

• DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #24 on: January 26, 2017, 10:59:02 AM »
I have to say though, once you start designing your own stuff, it's kinda a pain in the butt. I created a rather simple device for my work (imagine a half cylinder with a few recessed areas) and took me quite a while to get a good print of it. Orientation, fill-in ratio, they all need to be tweaked. Overhangs are a nightmare.

Is it a program like Solid Works? or one specifically designed for the particular 3D printer?

Mine was only $200 and has been running around the clock non stop with a near zero failure rate. I'd say less than 5 years.

Really? I have never even looked in to getting one and just assumed they were closer to $1000. I guess the more advanced/bigger you go the more pricier they get...but $200 is nothing to get something to play around with. Very neat.

Offline BlobVanDam

• Future Boy
  • DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #25 on: January 26, 2017, 11:11:57 AM »

Is it a program like Solid Works? or one specifically designed for the particular 3D printer?

You can create the model in any 3D modeling package of your choice, including Solidworks (very good for this kind of thing actually), and then you need an intermediate piece of software that generates the instructions for the printer that tell it how to print the object, which covers the pain in the ass stuff rumby is talking about. That includes layer thickness, orientation, support materials so overhangs don't collapse, what percentage to infill solid objects etc. A lot of printers can use the same software to generate that code, some use proprietary software.

Really? I have never even looked in to getting one and just assumed they were closer to $1000. I guess the more advanced/bigger you go the more pricier they get...but $200 is nothing to get something to play around with. Very neat.

I've never seen one as cheap as $200 before, so that is basement price. As noted, the maximum size on Chino's printer is relatively small, and Chino is probably lucky to have had it run so well so far. Setting up a 3D printer can be a bit of a pain in terms of calibrating, and messing with getting the print to stick to the bed and there are other issues with the print nozzle and plastic. It can take a good investment of time to learn how to use it properly. The average home 3D printer is more in the 500-2000 range, depending on what features it has.
They're making fast progress at the moment, but there are still kinks to sort out before they're useful enough to become commonplace for the average person. Within a decade I imagine they'll be very accessible though.

Offline BlobVanDam

• Future Boy
  • DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #27 on: January 26, 2017, 11:26:00 AM »
Looking at the reviews it looks like the build quality is variable, probably one of the reasons they can build it so cheap. When you get a well built one though, the results look good. Your prints seem on par for quality with any of the other cheaper extrusion printers. The difference comes in setup and support. For $200, well worth taking the plunge though, I'd say. If I could get one for that price here, I'd be in. For now I'm fine with Shapeways for my one-off prints.

Offline Chino

• DT.net Veteran
« Reply #28 on: January 26, 2017, 01:34:28 PM »

I printed this, as a similar test for our company printer. It's 'e', arranged in a spiral.

That's awesome. Did you make that?

Offline Chino

• DT.net Veteran
« Reply #29 on: January 26, 2017, 01:36:51 PM »
Couldn't be happier with how this print turned out. I'm in love with this color. Very few flaws in this one, and virtually no stringing. The camera doesn't do it justice, but there's some nice metallic in it.

Offline rumborak

• DT.net Veteran
« Reply #30 on: January 26, 2017, 01:39:42 PM »
*snip*

That's awesome. Did you make that?

Nah, this was downloaded from Thingiverse. It looked wicked cool, and it was a good test for the ability of the printer.

You can create the model in any 3D modeling package of your choice, including Solidworks (very good for this kind of thing actually), and then you need an intermediate piece of software that generates the instructions for the printer that tell it how to print the object, which covers the pain in the ass stuff rumby is talking about. That includes layer thickness, orientation, support materials so overhangs don't collapse, what percentage to infill solid objects etc. A lot of printers can use the same software to generate that code, some use proprietary software.

Exactly. I personally used tinkercad.com for the design (simple, gets you there quickly), and the printer came with a software that takes the STL/OBJ files and creates the support structures etc.

It's not that the latter software is bad or anything. There is virtually no way for a software to determine how easy or difficult it is to break away the support structure with your fingers or knife. You just have to experiment.
Also, overhangs suck no matter what. Experience makes you design your object in a way that you don't have horrendously bad overhangs, but that too takes time to learn.

Offline BlobVanDam

• Future Boy
  • DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #31 on: January 26, 2017, 09:37:23 PM »
Couldn't be happier with how this print turned out. I'm in love with this color. Very few flaws in this one, and virtually no stringing. The camera doesn't do it justice, but there's some nice metallic in it.

https://imagizer.imageshack.us/v2/882x662q90/922/wX56Rx.jpg
https://imagizer.imageshack.us/v2/882x662q90/923/ATCmvL.jpg

Wow yeah, that turned out great! It did a solid job on all of those thin beams and walls. Looks like a tiny bit of stringing on some interior details, but it's quite minor. I really like that plastic colour too. It shows up the details well.

Offline TAC

• DTF.org Alumni
  • Arthritic Metal Horns
« Reply #32 on: January 28, 2017, 06:54:44 PM »
No disassemble!!

Really happy with this print. Needs a little touching up, but not much. Total print time emwas 27 hours and 33 minutes.

Wow, I'm lost though.

What is it made of? What exactly is being printed?

This is my model.

https://www.amazon.com/gp/aw/d/B01FL49VZE/ref=mp_s_a_1_1?ie=UTF8&qid=1485454747&sr=8-1&pi=AC_SX236_SY340_FMwebp_QL65&keywords=monoprice+select+mini+3d+printer&dpPl=1&dpID=41UQWp4ToDL&ref=plSrch

I would not have an f'n clue WTF to do with this! :lol
It looks like a sewing machine from the future.
would have thought the same thing but seeing the OP was TAC i immediately thought Maiden or DT related
Winger Theater Forums........or WTF.  ;D
TAC got a higher score than me in the electronic round? Honestly, can I just drop out now? :lol

Offline rumborak

• DT.net Veteran
« Reply #33 on: January 29, 2017, 04:52:29 PM »

Offline King Postwhore

• Couch Potato
  • DTF.org Alumni
  • Take that Beethoven, you deaf bastard!!
« Reply #34 on: January 29, 2017, 05:29:53 PM »
Is ALIVE!
I don't like country music, but I don't mean to denigrate those who do. And for the people who like country music, denigrate means 'put down'.” - Bob Newhart
So wait, we're spelling it wrong and king is spelling it right? What is going on here? :lol -- BlobVanDam
"Oh, I am definitely a jackass!" - TAC