Author Topic: Quoting System  (Read 133 times)

Offline Progmetty

• DTF.org Alumni
Quoting System
« on: January 25, 2017, 12:08:07 AM »
I know I've seen it on other forums but I don't remember where.
It's a little difficult for me to explain but I'm thinking of a way you can quote a long post, cut it up and respond to it's points separately, without having to keep up with the author/date/link2post
and [/quote] prompts. Is there such a thing where I could highlight some text and click a button that automatically separates the tickets under said prompts? I know we have one that does just that without including the author/date/link2post header.
I wouldn't want somebody with 18 kids to mow my damn lawn, based on a longstanding bias I have against crazy fucks.

Offline bosk1

• Bow down to Boskaryus
  • Administrator
  • Hard-hearted harbinger of haggis
Re: Quoting System
« Reply #1 on: January 26, 2017, 09:40:37 AM »
No.  Simplest thing to do is, when you hit the "quote" button the first time, go through test that shows up in the "post" window, chop it up into the parts you want to separately respond to, deleting anything you don't want, and then copy/paste the entire thing several times.  Then go through each iteration that you just copied and delete everything in it except the part you are responding to in that part of your post.  It can get a bit tedious with longer posts, but it really isn't that hard.
"The Supreme Court of the United States has descended from the disciplined legal reasoning of John Marshall and Joseph Story to the mystical aphorisms of the fortune cookie."

Online El Barto

• DTF.org Alumni
  • Bad Craziness
« Reply #2 on: January 26, 2017, 10:31:47 AM »
Plenty of us just keep the header for the first part and generic quote all subsequent parts. If you're replying to more than one person, use the proper header for each person's first section so people know the poster has changed. I think it's common enough that most of us know who we're reading at this point.
Argument, the presentation of reasonable views, never makes headway against conviction, and conviction takes no part in argument because it knows.
E.F. Benson

Offline Progmetty

• DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #3 on: January 31, 2017, 12:29:52 AM »
Yep, that's what I've been doing, I was just wondering if there's an easier way but it's all good. thanks guys!
I wouldn't want somebody with 18 kids to mow my damn lawn, based on a longstanding bias I have against crazy fucks.