Author Topic: Cool podcast where two longtime fans discuss the history of DT  (Read 9981 times)

Offline KevShmev

• EZBoard Elder

Offline TheOutlawXanadu

• The Original Unseasoned Fan
  • DTF.com Member
Re: Cool podcast where two longtime fans discuss the history of DT
« Reply #1 on: January 27, 2017, 09:47:10 AM »
Thanks for sharing. Will definitely listen this afternoon.
:TOX: <-- My own emoticon!

Offline Tony From Long Island

• No Day But Today
« Reply #2 on: January 27, 2017, 11:02:21 AM »
I'm listening to the first part right now.   These two nerds seem to know their stuff.  :-)

One of them spoke of how much he loves the production for I&W   but I am not a fan of the triggered drums.
https://www.youtube.com/channel/UCtvUwbiqcKY_DF-0WXtlHFg       Listen to my mediocre recordings!

Online mikeyd23

« Reply #3 on: January 27, 2017, 11:05:07 AM »
I listened up until the point in which they started discussing the departure of MP. Good stuff! I definitely don't agree with some of their opinions but it was a good listen.

Offline TheOutlawXanadu

• DTF.com Member
« Reply #4 on: January 27, 2017, 02:38:42 PM »
That was a ton of fun. I never thought I'd actually get to hear a Dream Theater podcast. :lol

I have a few thoughts:

- Really interesting to hear people talk about Dream Theater who are clearly knowledgeable fans, but maybe not the types who are going to spend all day on forums like us crazy people. I think that I've greatly underestimated just how much people love Mike Portnoy and view him as indispensable to the band.

- Maybe I'm weird in this sense, but I really don't care when a band writes fantasy lyrics. The host of the podcast made it sound like fantasy lyrics are the worst thing in the world.

- During Pt. II, the guys talk about how Petrucci needs to hold back a little bit. I actually think that he has held back a ton since ADTOE. One of the guys also mentioned that he thought TA has bad production, but that he didn't mind the sound of DT12. I disagreed on that point too.

- They reminded me how awesome SDOIT is. What a record. :metal

Hat's off to Geek U.S.A. I will be tuning in for more!

Offline Madman Shepherd

« Reply #5 on: January 27, 2017, 04:43:24 PM »
I thought it was weird about how much they trash SC & BCASL, and then claim ADTOE wasn't good because Mike was the heart and soul of the band.

At least when they spoke about not liking MM in DT, they said they don't wish that he was replaced because they would never wish somebody loses their job.  That's pretty classy at least. 

Offline noxon

• Fan Club Professional
« Reply #6 on: January 27, 2017, 05:21:38 PM »
That was a ton of fun. I never thought I'd actually get to hear a Dream Theater podcast. :lol

Eh, I've done 10 episodes on my podcast: https://dtnorway.com/podcast.xml 

And a guy i know runs this one: https://soundcloud.com/dreamtheaterradio  - 28 episodes so far.

Offline Lethean

« Reply #7 on: January 27, 2017, 05:25:01 PM »
I thought it was a fun listen as well, but also found it odd that they're so anxious for an MP return considering how much they dislike the last two albums with him and don't seem to like Octavarium much either, AND they seemed to like A Dramatic Turn at least better than those and also thought the self titled was their best since 6 Degrees. JP likes metal and writing heavy riffs and songs, but I do believe that MP is responsible for the type of metal elements that they don't like in SC or Black Clouds. True however that MP wasn't responsible for the fantasy lyrics they dislike so much.

I also don't think anyone who is as much a fan of JL as they are should be so anxious for MP to return.

But it was enjoyable to listen to and I would be interested in hearing them dedicate an episode to each album. Or at least each album that they like.

Offline Madman Shepherd

« Reply #8 on: January 27, 2017, 06:58:37 PM »
I thought it was a fun listen as well, but also found it odd that they're so anxious for an MP return considering how much they dislike the last two albums with him and don't seem to like Octavarium much either, AND they seemed to like A Dramatic Turn at least better than those and also thought the self titled was their best since 6 Degrees. JP likes metal and writing heavy riffs and songs, but I do believe that MP is responsible for the type of metal elements that they don't like in SC or Black Clouds. True however that MP wasn't responsible for the fantasy lyrics they dislike so much.

I also don't think anyone who is as much a fan of JL as they are should be so anxious for MP to return.

But it was enjoyable to listen to and I would be interested in hearing them dedicate an episode to each album. Or at least each album that they like.

Fans like that really just seem like they've grown out of the music.  I know several DT fans like that.  In fact, out of the handful of people that got me into Dream Theater, exactly ZERO listen them anymore.  In the past when I've spoken with them about it, they always say the same things, exactly what these guys said. These guys even addressed the idea that they just aren't into that music anymore by saying that they still listen to music like that...same excuse I've heard before.  When pushed, out of the people I know that got me into DT, they admit that they don't listen to that stuff anymore or if they do it is rare and without the same fervor. 

It's fine if people grow out of music.  I just wish they would realize it's more their fault than the bands. 

Offline KevShmev

• EZBoard Elder
« Reply #9 on: January 27, 2017, 07:42:47 PM »
Opinions are always going to vary from fan to fan, but I think they did a good job of being respectful of everyone in the band.  Once they made it clear that they were very pro-Portnoy, I was almost expecting a bunch of subtle digs at Mangini and LaBrie, but they never went that route.  I enjoyed the podcast a lot.  :hat

Offline Lethean

« Reply #10 on: January 27, 2017, 10:00:25 PM »
Opinions are always going to vary from fan to fan, but I think they did a good job of being respectful of everyone in the band.  Once they made it clear that they were very pro-Portnoy, I was almost expecting a bunch of subtle digs at Mangini and LaBrie, but they never went that route.  I enjoyed the podcast a lot.  :hat
Agree with you there. They were very respectful and it was a lot of fun to listen to.

Offline Lethean

« Reply #11 on: January 27, 2017, 10:10:30 PM »
Fans like that really just seem like they've grown out of the music.  I know several DT fans like that.  In fact, out of the handful of people that got me into Dream Theater, exactly ZERO listen them anymore.  In the past when I've spoken with them about it, they always say the same things, exactly what these guys said. These guys even addressed the idea that they just aren't into that music anymore by saying that they still listen to music like that...same excuse I've heard before.  When pushed, out of the people I know that got me into DT, they admit that they don't listen to that stuff anymore or if they do it is rare and without the same fervor. 

It's fine if people grow out of music.  I just wish they would realize it's more their fault than the bands.

I guess it's hard to say. Only they really know.  I did find myself constantly wishing that I could interject here or there, but that's a sign that I found it interesting. Hmm, but maybe you're right about them really having moved on. With as much praise as they gave the self-titled album, and the positive comments they gave A Dramatic Turn, you  would think they'd be a little bit more engaged with current DT than they are.

• No Day But Today
« Reply #12 on: January 31, 2017, 12:30:18 PM »
At least when they spoke about not liking MM in DT, they said they don't wish that he was replaced because they would never wish somebody loses their job.  That's pretty classy at least.

That's how I feel.  I don't wish the man ill, but I just would prefer that MP and DT reconcile.  I'm sure MM would have no trouble finding work.
https://www.youtube.com/channel/UCtvUwbiqcKY_DF-0WXtlHFg       Listen to my mediocre recordings!

Offline Samsara

• Queensr˙che Biographer and Historian
  • DTF.org Alumni
  • Driving the nail into my head. Memory flows...
« Reply #13 on: February 02, 2017, 03:58:53 PM »

That's how I feel.  I don't wish the man ill, but I just would prefer that MP and DT reconcile.  I'm sure MM would have no trouble finding work.

I need to listen to this podcast, but I wanted to chime in and say (and I can't believe I am saying this now), I agree. I was always very critical of MP toward the end of the tenure. I felt he was too much and brought the band down with all his extraneous stuff. Now, however, what, six years on, I gotta say, I miss the excitement MP brought to the band.

Let me explain that briefly -- I miss the guy in the band who truly was like one of the fans, and "got it," from a fan perspective. DT is a bit... "colder" now that MP is gone. Mangini is arguably a technically better drummer (amazing to even say that), but MP's personality in his playing, which gave DT a lot of its character, is no longer there. It could be sentimental on my part -- I've been really missing old school DT (early =-mid 90s) lately. But after DT has now settled down and released three records without MP, I gotta say, it doesn't seem right that he's not there.

There are some things that I think (again, I'm not as informed as some fans, so forgive me if I'm not on-point with stuff) would need to be addressed. First and foremost, he would need to repair his relationships with John and James. I think it is pretty evident that MP and James drifted apart over the years severely. That has to be mended. and of course, with MP leaving, and the lawsuit, and all of that, he needs to sit with JP and talk as friends, and see if there can be a resolution. MP's still tight with Jordan, and I assume he and JM are fine.

Second, if (and that's a big IF) all of the successful changes that have been made in DT -- James being more comfortable doing vocals in the studio, etc....those are things MP would have to be good with, and not rock the apple cart. I mean, DT was MP's baby, but it wasn't his baby alone, and now belongs even more to JP and JM, not to mention JR and JLB. So Portnoy would have to be OK with what they do.

Again, no disrespect to MM at all. And honestly, I can't believe I am saying what I am saying regarding MP. But simply put, I miss his presence in DT.
Roads to Madness: The Touring History of Queensr˙che (1981-1997) - Out in May 2024!

www.roadstomadness.com

Offline KevShmev

• EZBoard Elder
« Reply #14 on: February 02, 2017, 08:42:09 PM »
I wanted to chime in and say (and I can't believe I am saying this now), I agree. I was always very critical of MP toward the end of the tenure. I felt he was too much and brought the band down with all his extraneous stuff. Now, however, what, six years on, I gotta say, I miss the excitement MP brought to the band.

Let me explain that briefly -- I miss the guy in the band who truly was like one of the fans, and "got it," from a fan perspective. DT is a bit... "colder" now that MP is gone. Mangini is arguably a technically better drummer (amazing to even say that), but MP's personality in his playing, which gave DT a lot of its character, is no longer there. It could be sentimental on my part -- I've been really missing old school DT (early =-mid 90s) lately. But after DT has now settled down and released three records without MP, I gotta say, it doesn't seem right that he's not there.

There are some things that I think (again, I'm not as informed as some fans, so forgive me if I'm not on-point with stuff) would need to be addressed. First and foremost, he would need to repair his relationships with John and James. I think it is pretty evident that MP and James drifted apart over the years severely. That has to be mended. and of course, with MP leaving, and the lawsuit, and all of that, he needs to sit with JP and talk as friends, and see if there can be a resolution. MP's still tight with Jordan, and I assume he and JM are fine.

Second, if (and that's a big IF) all of the successful changes that have been made in DT -- James being more comfortable doing vocals in the studio, etc....those are things MP would have to be good with, and not rock the apple cart. I mean, DT was MP's baby, but it wasn't his baby alone, and now belongs even more to JP and JM, not to mention JR and JLB. So Portnoy would have to be OK with what they do.

Again, no disrespect to MM at all. And honestly, I can't believe I am saying what I am saying regarding MP. But simply put, I miss his presence in DT.

This will surprise some, considering my stances over the years, but I am coming around to this line of thinking. 

Now, I do think the three Mangini albums are all much better than the last three albums the band did with Portnoy, so the change was absolutely needed, but I think maybe Mangini isn't quite the perfect fit many thought he would be.  Yeah, he's a beast of a player, and about as nice a guy as you'll ever meet, but his playing sometimes seems a bit too stiff and mathematical.  That hasn't been a detriment to the music at all, but while the drums used to bring a certain bit of fun and excitement to the band, they are now there as merely an extremely impressive technical backdrop.  IMO, of course.  And let's face it, for whatever reason, he has yet to get his drums to sound awesome on a DT record.

As for Portnoy, I certainly do not miss the way he dominated interviews and screen time in videos and DVD releases more and more as time went on, but his drumming style is just...fun.  Sure, he often grabs from his usual bag of tricks, but they work, so there ya go.  And as much as he insists otherwise, I am convinced that it still devastates him to think that Dream Theater continues to go on without him.  I did not feel the need to mention this in my review last week of the Neal Morse concert I saw, but he just didn't look like himself.  Sure, every time Neal turned to him to engage him in a little showmanship, he perked up, and he did the standing up to get the crowd going thing a few times, but for much of the concert, he just looked like a guy there doing a job.  Now, it's possible that he was having a bad night (we all have them), and playing to crowds that small now has to be incredibly galling, not to mention that you can't be "up" for 150 minutes every night, especially when playing music that physically and technically demanding, but I think he misses his old band.  How could he not? 

That all said, I am still glad the split happened.  Since then, we have gotten three really good/great records from DT, and from Portnoy, we have gotten four Neal Morse studio albums, two Flying Colors albums and another Transatlantic record (and the Winery Dogs, if that is your bag).  It's been win-win from both camps. :tup :tup

Online mikeyd23

« Reply #15 on: February 03, 2017, 06:51:43 AM »

I don't really think that's realistic though. MP has always struck me as either giving 150% or 0%. He has always struck me as the type of guy that kinda has that "this is who I am, take me or leave me" attitude. Those characteristics aren't bad, but in this situation it leads me to believe that if MP did rejoin DT, he would rejoin working under the notion that things would go back to exactly how they were previously. James wouldn't have more ownership over his vocals, the baby wouldn't be everyone's as you put it (which is crazy by the way, every guy in that band is committed and invested in that band, it's no more any one person's baby than another's).

As for Portnoy, I certainly do not miss the way he dominated interviews and screen time in videos and DVD releases more and more as time went on, but his drumming style is just...fun.  Sure, he often grabs from his usual bag of tricks, but they work, so there ya go.  And as much as he insists otherwise, I am convinced that it still devastates him to think that Dream Theater continues to go on without him.  I did not feel the need to mention this in my review last week of the Neal Morse concert I saw, but he just didn't look like himself.  Sure, every time Neal turned to him to engage him in a little showmanship, he perked up, and he did the standing up to get the crowd going thing a few times, but for much of the concert, he just looked like a guy there doing a job.  Now, it's possible that he was having a bad night (we all have them), and playing to crowds that small now has to be incredibly galling, not to mention that you can't be "up" for 150 minutes every night, especially when playing music that physically and technically demanding, but I think he misses his old band.  How could he not? 

Good post Kev. The above part is interesting to me though, and not to sound too harsh but if he does miss his old band, I hope he realizes that there's nobody to blame for that but himself.

Offline KevShmev

• EZBoard Elder
« Reply #16 on: February 03, 2017, 05:40:02 PM »

Good post Kev. The above part is interesting to me though, and not to sound too harsh but if he does miss his old band, I hope he realizes that there's nobody to blame for that but himself.

I'm sure that deep down, he knows it is more his fault than anyone else's that he is not in the band anymore, although he'd never admit it.

The funny thing is, for the people who want him back in the band, do they think the band will magically return to the 90s or early 00s, when nearly everything they did turned to gold? 

It is what it is, at this point.

Offline Samsara

• DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #17 on: February 06, 2017, 09:23:27 AM »

I'm sure that deep down, he knows it is more his fault than anyone else's that he is not in the band anymore, although he'd never admit it.

Of course he does. And you're right, his ego won't allow a public admission of that.

The funny thing is, for the people who want him back in the band, do they think the band will magically return to the 90s or early 00s, when nearly everything they did turned to gold? 

Speaking for only myself, of course not. I actually didn't like the last few albums WITH MP. All I was saying was that I miss MP's presence in the band, and the energy it brought. No more, no less. From a selfish point of view, I'd like to see him back so DT has that element in it. But will it happen? I wouldn't say never, but most likely not, no.

It is what it is, at this point.

Pretty much, yeah. But if the time and situations is right, and people in the band get to certain places with their feelings for the issue, I'm sure a reconciliation is possible to a degree. Not saying it WILL happen, but there's a small chance. MP and JR have already, it seems, mended fences. The biggest hurdles (no offense to JM, who I think can get along with anyone because of his quiet personality) are JLB and JP. And I really don't think MP will be able to do anything unless he and JLB sit down, and literally hash it all out and become friends. If that happens, perhaps then MP can approach JP. MP needs to have his relationships with everyone else repaired before he tackles the big kahuna.  :lol

So not likely at all, but the possibility exists. Other bands who had huge falling outs did it. So could DT, potentially.
Roads to Madness: The Touring History of Queensr˙che (1981-1997) - Out in May 2024!

www.roadstomadness.com

Offline TheOutlawXanadu

• DTF.com Member
« Reply #18 on: February 06, 2017, 09:57:01 AM »
My speculation is that if Mangini leaves, Portnoy will return. The question then becomes: Will Mangini ever leave?

Based on that interview he did a few months back, it sounds like him walking away is now a possibility. Whether or not it's likely, I cannot say, but he's clearly not 100% satisfied with his role in Dream Theater. I'll be very curious to see whether or not he contributes more on their next record.

I personally love Mangini and would prefer that he stay with the band until their retirement, but you never know.

Offline Samsara

• DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #19 on: February 06, 2017, 11:48:36 AM »
My speculation is that if Mangini leaves, Portnoy will return. The question then becomes: Will Mangini ever leave?

Based on that interview he did a few months back, it sounds like him walking away is now a possibility. Whether or not it's likely, I cannot say, but he's clearly not 100% satisfied with his role in Dream Theater. I'll be very curious to see whether or not he contributes more on their next record.

I personally love Mangini and would prefer that he stay with the band until their retirement, but you never know.

He also clearly loves teaching -- something he can't pursue regularly while in Dream Theater. Mangini has never been one to stick with a band very long, even if he said he wanted to. To be honest, I feel him leaving is a distinct possibility in the next few years. Touring is a rough deal, and the ability to handle it with regularity isn't something everyone can deal with successfully at all stages of their lives.

www.roadstomadness.com

Offline MirrorMask

« Reply #20 on: February 06, 2017, 12:42:45 PM »
I'm not so sure that if Mangini would leave right now (let's say he does it in autumn, when the whole tour will be over) Portnoy would automatically be invited back. As it has been stated before, there would be some serious talks to have between them all before that.

And if not for the fans, I really hope for themselves that James and Mike one day sit down and talk it all out, as late as the Octavarium era I remember Mike defending strongly James on his board and it's a pity things fell apart so quickly after that.
I use my sig to pimp some bands from Italy! Check out Elvenking (Power / Folk metal), Folkstone (Rock / Medieval metal), Arcana Opera (Gothic/Noir/Heavy metal) and the beautiful voice of Elisa!

Offline MoraWintersoul

• Gloom Cookie
  • DTF.org Alumni
  • welcome to the wasteland
« Reply #21 on: February 09, 2017, 10:43:44 AM »

Which intie are you referring to? I've been out of the loop.

Don't try to BS her about Kevin Moore facts, she will obscure quote you in the face.

type : mora : and delete the spaces for a surprise

Online mikeyd23

« Reply #22 on: February 09, 2017, 10:49:43 AM »

Which intie are you referring to? I've been out of the loop.

https://www.dreamtheaterforums.org/boards/index.php?topic=49004.0

Offline Architeuthis

« Reply #23 on: February 09, 2017, 11:04:13 AM »
It's clear that MP wanted to explore other musical outlets seeing all the other bands he's been in since DT.  I love the musical direction DT went afterwards, they put out three stellar albums which allowed JLB to shine, especially The Astonishing.  TA may have never happened if MP was in the line-up,  but if it did it would be wayyy different!  I'm glad we got TA the way it is, and DT12 and ADTOE for that matter..
 I like MP and MM equally as much, but in different ways, but I'd be ok with MM being in the DT camp for a long time if not indefinitely! 

You can do a lot in a lifetime if you don't burn out too fast, you can make the most of the distance, first you need endurance first you've got to last....... NP

Offline Scottjf8

« Reply #24 on: March 03, 2017, 08:37:31 PM »

Eh, I've done 10 episodes on my podcast: https://dtnorway.com/podcast.xml 

And a guy i know runs this one: https://soundcloud.com/dreamtheaterradio  - 28 episodes so far.

Do you have a real link for yours?  The .xml file just gives a bunch of xml

Online WilliamMunny

• Generation Mixtape
« Reply #25 on: March 04, 2017, 08:43:16 AM »
Hi all,

Jim here (from the above cited podcast)...I usually post over at MP.com but have been lurking here for years as well.

I just wanted to say 'Thanks!' to everyone who checked out our podcast.  As many have pointed out, Carl and I are just a couple of huge nerds with equally huge opinions on the bands we love...(just like most everyone else).  Regardless of where you fall on our thoughts, I hope our passion for the topic comes through.

Alright, I'll let the conversation continue...just wanted to say Thanks!

Offline noxon

• Fan Club Professional
« Reply #26 on: March 04, 2017, 11:48:21 AM »

Do you have a real link for yours?  The .xml file just gives a bunch of xml

Use a podcast client like itunes to read the xml.

Offline Scottjf8

« Reply #27 on: March 04, 2017, 12:09:27 PM »
Hi all,

Jim here (from the above cited podcast)...I usually post over at MP.com but have been lurking here for years as well.

I just wanted to say 'Thanks!' to everyone who checked out our podcast.  As many have pointed out, Carl and I are just a couple of huge nerds with equally huge opinions on the bands we love...(just like most everyone else).  Regardless of where you fall on our thoughts, I hope our passion for the topic comes through.

Alright, I'll let the conversation continue...just wanted to say Thanks!

Welcome! Thanks for stopping in... And glad you read my comment on your podcast :)

Show was great, however a few times you said you'd discuss some subject "more later" and guessing you ran out of time, things like songwriting and lyrics (you mentioned discussing JM v MP songwriting topic).

I'd love to hear a part 3 and dig in some more.

Also I think you guys were way hard on SC and BC&SL... I also (being a new DT listener) don't "get" or appreciate 6DOIT. But that's just me.

I did totally agree with you guys on the 3 MM albums. I don't dig the Astonishing, but really love the DT12 album, and much of ADToE is pretty solid, all things considered.

Offline SeRoX

• DTF.org Member
  • The VoiceMaster
« Reply #28 on: March 05, 2017, 03:48:27 PM »
...as late as the Octavarium era I remember Mike defending strongly James on his board

Can you remember what was that about? I wonder.
Quote from: Plasmastrike
SeRoX is right!
Quote from: Nihil-Morari
SeRoX is DTF's JLB!
As usual, SeRoX is correct.

• No Day But Today
« Reply #30 on: March 06, 2017, 10:04:21 AM »
Also I think you guys were way hard on SC and BC&SL... I also (being a new DT listener) don't "get" or appreciate 6DOIT. But that's just me.

I did totally agree with you guys on the 3 MM albums. I don't dig the Astonishing, but really love the DT12 album, and much of ADToE is pretty solid, all things considered.

I feel similar to you.     Re: 6DOIT - I love the first disc.  The second  is OK is bits and pieces.  Wish it was broken up in to tracks rather than one long track.

Offline Shadow Ninja 2.0

• Heir Transparent
  • Transcribing Existence Rivets
« Reply #31 on: March 06, 2017, 10:26:45 AM »
But... it is broken up into tracks.

Offline DougMasters

« Reply #32 on: March 07, 2017, 03:28:32 PM »
Carl from the above mentioned podcast. I am touched and humbled that so many people are having such a civil conversation about our episode. Dream Theater may be the least popular topic we've done a podcast on but its the most listened to by far. There are probably many reasons for this but i know DT fans are some of the brightest, well informed and nerdiest in existence. For our podcast to be part of this conversation truly means a lot to me. We are going to do a podcast on Images and Words soon considering the 25th anniversary milestone.

We would very much appreciate fan interaction on this. We want to read and discuss a few fans opinions on DT and I&W on the actual podcast. If you're interested feel free to email us your responses to a few questions. We will select all or some responses to discuss depending on how many we get.  So if youre interested shoot us an email with the following format. You dont even have to like the album, honest opinions welcome.

Geekusapodcast@gmail.com
Subject I&W podcast

1.) Name ? ( however you want us to read this aloud )
2.) Age ? ( if your comfortable, if not we understand )
3.) Favorite DT album ?
4.) Still a fan of I&W if ever at all?
5.) General opinion of I&W?
6.) Anything you would change about the album?

Thank you all for listening and discussing. And for those who decide to reply thank you so much for being apart of our podcast.

Sincerely,

Carl.

Offline Scottjf8

« Reply #33 on: March 10, 2017, 05:23:52 PM »
Bump. Their next episode is up where they only discuss I&W.

I subscribe on iTunes fyi. Geek USA.

Offline DougMasters

« Reply #34 on: March 11, 2017, 07:36:25 PM »
Bump. Their next episode is up where they only discuss I&W.

I subscribe on iTunes fyi. Geek USA.

Hey. Thanks for the subscribing.