Author Topic: Women's March  (Read 6252 times)

Offline KevShmev

• EZBoard Elder
Women's March
« on: January 22, 2017, 01:30:42 PM »
While I think the timing was poor, making them look like sore losers about the election, it's hard to argue with the overall sentiment, even if women's rights in this country are not problematic.

That said, it's sometimes not a good idea when celebs open their mouths at these things. See: Madonna and Ashley Judd acting like jackasses.

Offline antigoon

• Not Elvis
  • DT.net Veteran
  • This was a triumph.
Re: Women's March
« Reply #1 on: January 22, 2017, 01:56:21 PM »
I was there in New York City. An amazing scene, for sure.

Offline Cool Chris

• DTF.org Alumni
  • Rest in Peace
« Reply #2 on: January 22, 2017, 02:33:00 PM »
Of course in Seattle, it was the Womxn's March because "organizers stated that this naming was meant to symbolize intersectionality with the transgender community." Apparently the transgender community can't spell.

While I appreciate women's rights and equality, I am not 100% sure what this march was about. Of course the Hollywood elite is there to inform the uneducated. Where would be we without them?
"Nostalgia is just the ability to forget the things that sucked" - Nelson DeMille, 'Up Country'

Offline pogoowner

• Pancake Bunny
  • DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #3 on: January 22, 2017, 04:21:05 PM »
I was really happy to see it happen. I know a LOT of people that went, some of which made the effort to travel across the country to DC. Outside of an actual presidential election, I have never seen more people that I know personally participate in a political event, and I think that's great. And I see that it's now being recognized as the largest protest in U.S. history. Really cool to see all the marches around the world as well.

Offline TAC

• DTF.org Alumni
  • Just a decent, normal metal-head fellow
« Reply #4 on: January 22, 2017, 04:26:58 PM »
But WTF was it for? Were women's rights just stripped or something?

Was this planned because of Trump? Or was it already scheduled?
would have thought the same thing but seeing the OP was TAC i immediately thought Maiden or DT related
Winger Theater Forums................or WTF.  ;D

Offline Cool Chris

• DTF.org Alumni
  • Rest in Peace
« Reply #5 on: January 22, 2017, 04:29:23 PM »
I will say happily that it was nice to see none of the marches were marred by any acts of violence, rioting, destruction, or any of the other crap that all too often  occurs during protests.
"Nostalgia is just the ability to forget the things that sucked" - Nelson DeMille, 'Up Country'

Offline Harmony

« Reply #6 on: January 22, 2017, 05:25:55 PM »
Sometimes when I'm trying to learn more about something, a quick Google search can be very helpful.

https://www.womensmarch.com/mission/

Offline Cool Chris

• DTF.org Alumni
  • Rest in Peace
« Reply #7 on: January 22, 2017, 06:30:01 PM »
Thank you Harmony. That is actually a fairly well crafted manifesto. Of course then they have Madge proclaiming she has thought about blowing up the White House.

Offline TAC

• DTF.org Alumni
  • Just a decent, normal metal-head fellow
« Reply #8 on: January 22, 2017, 06:36:53 PM »
Sometimes when I'm trying to learn more about something, a quick Google search can be very helpful.

https://www.womensmarch.com/mission/

So this was planned whoever won?
would have thought the same thing but seeing the OP was TAC i immediately thought Maiden or DT related
Winger Theater Forums................or WTF.  ;D

Offline Progmetty

• DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #9 on: January 22, 2017, 07:45:06 PM »
From https://www.womensmarch.com/mission/
The rhetoric of the past election cycle has insulted, demonized, and threatened many of us - immigrants of all statuses, Muslims and those of diverse religious faiths, people who identify as LGBTQIA, Native people, Black and Brown people, people with disabilities, survivors of sexual assault - and our communities are hurting and scared. We are confronted with the question of how to move forward in the face of national and international concern and fear.

In the spirit of democracy and honoring the champions of human rights, dignity, and justice who have come before us, we join in diversity to show our presence in numbers too great to ignore. The Women’s March on Washington will send a bold message to our new government on their first day in office, and to the world that women's rights are human rights. We stand together, recognizing that defending the most marginalized among us is defending all of us.

Reading the mission statement there; I think so, it's in response to the pussy grabbing, advocating punishment for abortion, period jokes and general pig comments about women's worth through their sizes, etc. I think the march would have been valid regardless of who won since this filth has already been put out there in the elections.
I wouldn't want somebody with 18 kids to mow my damn lawn, based on a longstanding bias I have against crazy fucks.

Offline Cool Chris

• DTF.org Alumni
  • Rest in Peace
« Reply #10 on: January 22, 2017, 08:26:14 PM »
C'mon, there is no way they would sully the queen's coronation with marches like this. They would be celebrating in the streets (like Muslims after 911 haha!)

Offline pogoowner

• Pancake Bunny
  • DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #11 on: January 22, 2017, 08:36:31 PM »
C'mon, there is no way they would sully the queen's coronation with marches like this. They would be celebrating in the streets (like Muslims after 911 haha!)
I'm sure the tone would be much different, but that doesn't mean the marches wouldn't happen.

Offline lonestar

• DTF Executive Head Chef
  • Official DTF Tour Guide
  • First Follower
    • Lady Obscure Music Magazine
« Reply #12 on: January 22, 2017, 09:24:55 PM »
Agreed, they probably would've had a more celebratory tone, and wouldn't have held have the attraction or global scope.
Quote from: nightmare_cinema
So should lonestar and I have babies or something now, is that how this works?
Dang, you're easily the coolest fogey I know of

Offline orcus116

• DT.net Veteran
« Reply #13 on: January 23, 2017, 06:00:27 AM »
The numbers are impressive, no doubt, but I wouldn't be surprised if in another week, month, whatever this just becomes just another thing that happened and nothing else.

Offline DragonAttack

« Reply #14 on: January 23, 2017, 06:10:30 AM »
As to the women's rights not being 'problematic', look at all of the various state laws that have been attempted to remove their individual rights, and that the 'checks and balances' will be almost nonexistent or severely diminished soon.  Talk to women in and out of your circle, and you will see and hear a genuine fear.

DT's day one of whitehouse.gov......the Planned Parenthood and LGBT pages were removed.  All one needs to do is look at his VP's actions in Indiana, his cabinet choices and inner circle to see where they stand on these issues.

Offline chknptpie

• DTF.org Member
« Reply #15 on: January 23, 2017, 06:49:51 AM »
I was at the Phoenix march with over 20k other women and men. I marched because the conservative majority have already started the work to limit access for low income families to get access to health care at a singled-out non-profit doctors office. I marched because I don't not like how our current president has treated or talked about treating women.

For those that are curious - this post explained it in a way that might help
https://medium.com/@susan.speer/to-christy-on-facebook-who-doesnt-need-the-women-s-march-beb4948e1e4b

Offline Tick

• Cleavage is a drug! Dracula is a junkie
  • DTF.org Member
  • We will, we will, Trump you, boom boom, clap!
« Reply #16 on: January 23, 2017, 07:08:51 AM »
Trump says some dumb shit for sure. The pussy grabbing was made 10 years ago to a man. Count them...10.
I'm 52 and have heard stupid macho shit like that since I was a a teen. That's not justification for his comment but to damned for it is a bit much for me. If he said it on the campaign trail and was caught It would have been a much bigger deal.
If anyone of us had soundbites of some things we have said in our lives out there publicly we would all be damned.

Bill Clinton had multiple affairs in office, disrespecting woman. Blow jobs in the oval office and I don't see him being demonized now for it now? Why not?

How many of the 4 million woman in that march have disrespected themselves by having one night stands with complete strangers? Yeah I know, its there choice to cheapen themselves...

Celebs like Madonna and Miley Cyrus make a living exploiting themselves sexually and giving a bad image to all woman, yet they can stand up and be outraged by Trump? and have these woman applaud them?

This was not a March for woman's equality, it was a hate march against the new president.

This is just how I feel. I want to see what he does for woman starting today.

Yup. Tick is dead on.  She's not your type.  Move on.   Tick is Obi Wan Kenobi

Online Implode

• Lord of the Squids
  • DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #17 on: January 23, 2017, 07:57:14 AM »
Why are so many people grasping at straws to make this seem like a pointless event? It might not look like it's accomplishing anything on the service to some people, but it's been one of the biggest country wide demonstrations I've seen. Hundreds of thousands of people don't go out marching just for the hell of it.

Online Chino

• Be excellent to each other.
  • DT.net Veteran
« Reply #18 on: January 23, 2017, 08:00:48 AM »
Why are so many people grasping at straws to make this seem like a pointless event? It might not look like it's accomplishing anything on the service to some people, but it's been one of the biggest country world wide demonstrations I've seen. Hundreds of thousands of people don't go out marching just for the hell of it.

Fixed that for you.

Online Implode

• Lord of the Squids
  • DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #19 on: January 23, 2017, 08:02:30 AM »
Thank you.

Offline lonestar

• DTF Executive Head Chef
  • Official DTF Tour Guide
  • First Follower
    • Lady Obscure Music Magazine
« Reply #20 on: January 23, 2017, 08:28:35 AM »

Bill Clinton had multiple affairs in office, disrespecting woman. Blow jobs in the oval office and I don't see him being demonized now for it now? Why not?

Um...cause he's not president anymore....

If I remember, he was nailed to the wall pretty bad at the time, to the point of being impeached for perjury. I was the only thing on the news for a year, right? Really sick of this argument.

Quote from: nightmare_cinema
So should lonestar and I have babies or something now, is that how this works?
Dang, you're easily the coolest fogey I know of

Offline Tick

• DTF.org Member
« Reply #21 on: January 23, 2017, 09:00:16 AM »

If I remember, he was nailed to the wall pretty bad at the time, to the point of being impeached for perjury. I was the only thing on the news for a year, right? Really sick of this argument.
My point is the pussy grabbing comment is 10 years old.

Offline eric42434224

• Wilson
« Reply #22 on: January 23, 2017, 09:05:23 AM »

But Trump just ran, and is POTUS right now.  See the difference?  His past actions were and are relevant now as he is relevant to being the POTUS now.  Bill is not relevant to being POTUS now
Oh shit, you're right!

rumborak

Rumborak to me 10/29

Online Chino

• DT.net Veteran
« Reply #23 on: January 23, 2017, 09:05:23 AM »

If on your daughter's 28th birthday, some 70 year old guy approached you and said "yo Tick! I grabbed your girl by the cooch on her 18th birthday without asking because of my societal status", would you brush it off because it happened 10 years earlier?
« Last Edit: January 23, 2017, 09:34:17 AM by Chino »

Offline axeman90210

• Official Minister of Awesome, and Veronica knows my name!
  • DTF.org Alumni
  • Never go full Nick
« Reply #24 on: January 23, 2017, 09:18:34 AM »
Yeah, to be honest I don't really care that the comments were made 10 years ago. It's not like he was a stupid teenager when he said those things, he was a 60 year old man. I could be wrong, but I doubt he's significantly changed the way he views women between 60 and 70. The difference between what he was talking about and Clinton to me is consent. What he he was describing could easily be considered sexual assault.
Photobucket sucks.

Offline hefdaddy42

• Whiskey Bent and Hell Bound
  • Global Moderator
  • RIP Dad 1943-2010
« Reply #25 on: January 23, 2017, 09:33:13 AM »
Any comparisons to Clinton are irrelevant.  Let's just judge this President and his administration by the things they actually say or do.
Hef is right on all things. Except for when I disagree with him. In which case he's probably still right.

Offline Tick

• DTF.org Member
« Reply #26 on: January 23, 2017, 10:05:41 AM »
Any comparisons to Clinton are irrelevant.  Let's just judge this President and his administration by the things they actually say or do.
Now.
Yeah, to be honest I don't really care that the comments were made 10 years ago. It's not like he was a stupid teenager when he said those things, he was a 60 year old man. I could be wrong, but I doubt he's significantly changed the way he views women between 60 and 70. The difference between what he was talking about and Clinton to me is consent. What he he was describing could easily be considered sexual assault.
not a remark made 10 years ago drummed up my the media to take him down.
Except no evidence says he did the assine thing he said.

If on your daughter's 28th birthday, some 70 year old guy approached you and said "yo Tick! I grabbed your girl by the cooch on her 18th birthday without asking because of my societal status", would you brush it off because it happened 10 years earlier?
Obviously not.
But if my daughter gave the president a blow job I wouldn't like that either.

Do we know he actually did that? I'd say no.

I'm not a Trump rah rah guy but I think the march is just to further a liberal agenda and not because Trump is the devil.

Online Chino

• DT.net Veteran
« Reply #27 on: January 23, 2017, 10:10:07 AM »
Wouldn't like that she gave a blowjob in general, or gave a blowjob to the president? 

Online Implode

• Lord of the Squids
  • DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #28 on: January 23, 2017, 10:10:35 AM »
I'm not a Trump rah rah guy but I think the march is just to further a liberal agenda and not because Trump is the devil.

This was not a March for woman's equality, it was a hate march against the new president.

????????????

Offline Stadler

• DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #29 on: January 23, 2017, 10:44:07 AM »
From https://www.womensmarch.com/mission/
The rhetoric of the past election cycle has insulted, demonized, and threatened many of us - immigrants of all statuses, Muslims and those of diverse religious faiths, people who identify as LGBTQIA, Native people, Black and Brown people, people with disabilities, survivors of sexual assault - and our communities are hurting and scared. We are confronted with the question of how to move forward in the face of national and international concern and fear.

In the spirit of democracy and honoring the champions of human rights, dignity, and justice who have come before us, we join in diversity to show our presence in numbers too great to ignore. The Women’s March on Washington will send a bold message to our new government on their first day in office, and to the world that women's rights are human rights. We stand together, recognizing that defending the most marginalized among us is defending all of us.

Reading the mission statement there; I think so, it's in response to the pussy grabbing, advocating punishment for abortion, period jokes and general pig comments about women's worth through their sizes, etc. I think the march would have been valid regardless of who won since this filth has already been put out there in the elections.

Yeah, since EVERY POINT YOU MADE is attributable to Trump, and in the alternative universe where reality didn't happen, it would be a WOMAN who was anointed the leader of the free world, I'm thinking that this would look very very different.   

Offline Stadler

• DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #30 on: January 23, 2017, 10:47:04 AM »
As to the women's rights not being 'problematic', look at all of the various state laws that have been attempted to remove their individual rights, and that the 'checks and balances' will be almost nonexistent or severely diminished soon.  Talk to women in and out of your circle, and you will see and hear a genuine fear.

DT's day one of whitehouse.gov......the Planned Parenthood and LGBT pages were removed.  All one needs to do is look at his VP's actions in Indiana, his cabinet choices and inner circle to see where they stand on these issues.

I'm sorry, what "checks and balances" are being removed?  Someone is dismantling the U.S. court system? I didn't hear that (and I'm a LAWYER and my wife works in a court!)!   Someone is abolishing the House of Representatives and/or the Senate?   AMAZING!    This is all news!  Why is it not on CNN? 

And please STOP PROMULGATING LIES:  those pages were migrated as per transition protocol.  ALL pages were removed and moved to a website reflecting the Obama Administration.  Your implication that it was policy related and/or related to Trump is patently false.   

Also, his one main cabinet pick that bears on this - Jeff Sessions, Attorney General - clearly, repeatedly, and unequivocally stated he would uphold the law AS IS, regardless of his personal opinions on that, and when asked, he explicitly affirmed that yes, this includes abortion.   

Offline Stadler

• DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #31 on: January 23, 2017, 10:56:31 AM »

As the father of a daughter who is 16, and a stepdaughter who is 18, I would not brush it off IF HE ACTUALLY TOUCHED HER.  I'd call the police.    If he said "Hey Stads, you know, I could have grabbed your daughter's pussy if I wanted to, because, well, I can!"  it would be a different story. I might still grab HIM by the balls, because, being 20 years younger and still in decent shape, I could, but it is a very different dynamic. 

I don't excuse the underlying idea, and I have had repeated talks with both my kids about the nature of the world we live in, but let's not make false distinctions about "POTUS NOW" versus "was POTUS THEN", when we gloss over the very real fact that Clinton DID lie under oath (that was his hearing, not ANYTHING he did with an intern) and that he DID arguably violate Federal law by having sexual relations (such that they were) with an intern that worked for him (in many circumstances, "consent" is negated when there is a clear power differential in play), and here we're talking about him bragging about POSSIBILITIES to an equally slimy reporter.  This is the functional and intellectual equivalent of Anthony Michael Hall bragging about his "girlfriend" in "Canada" in The Breakfast Club.    To this day, we have no idea if there actually WAS a girlfriend in Canada.   

Offline Stadler

• DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #32 on: January 23, 2017, 10:58:40 AM »

????????????

Maybe not as literal, or vehement, but in principle, I'm closer to Tick than anyone else here.  I differ in that I think the march might do some good, generally, and it was not something that should have been prevented or oppressed, but I question the overall motives.   

Online Chino

• DT.net Veteran
« Reply #33 on: January 23, 2017, 11:08:32 AM »
This is one of the many reason with millions of women marched.

https://thinkprogress.org/trump-reinstates-abortion-restriction-f911f16c758e#.lvwj0e6xq

I've known many girls my age, as well as older ones I've worked with that use Planned Parenthood, and their visits have absolutely nothing to do with abortion.

Offline Tick

• DTF.org Member
« Reply #34 on: January 23, 2017, 11:25:30 AM »
Wouldn't like that she gave a blowjob in general, or gave a blowjob to the president?
I know you are not a father but no father wants to think of his daughter giving a blow job so...

My point was...

I would not want my daughter to be famous for giving the president a blow job. Not the thing you want your life to be remembered for.