Author Topic: President Trump's two simple rules  (Read 828 times)

Offline Chino

• Be excellent to each other.
  • DT.net Veteran
President Trump's two simple rules
« on: January 20, 2017, 11:12:30 AM »
1) Buy American
2) Hire American

Really interested to see how these rules are followed within his own family's businesses, let alone the country as a whole. I expect Melania to announce any day now that she's relocating all her fashion factories to the US.

In all seriousness though, is this feasible? Are you going to buy and American made television? I'm not. That is unless they can somehow magically make a 60" OLED on par with my $900 Vizio.

Offline Implode

• Lord of the Squids
  • DTF.org Alumni
Re: President Trump's two simple rules
« Reply #1 on: January 20, 2017, 11:23:55 AM »
Yeah, I don't think it's really feasible.

I say as I type on my Lenovo (Chinese) keyboard, look at my Samsung (Korean) monitor and smart phone, drive my Subaru (Japanese), etc etc.

Offline El Barto

• DTF.org Alumni
  • Bad Craziness
« Reply #2 on: January 20, 2017, 11:48:37 AM »
In other words, overpay. I'll say again that he's antithetical to free market capitalism.
Argument, the presentation of reasonable views, never makes headway against conviction, and conviction takes no part in argument because it knows.
E.F. Benson

Offline XJDenton

• What a shame
  • Global Moderator
« Reply #3 on: January 20, 2017, 11:58:06 AM »
Bit of a bugger for the UK given we were kinda hoping to trade a lot since we said fuck you to the EU.

Offline Nekov

• DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #4 on: January 20, 2017, 12:36:38 PM »
Bit of a bugger for the UK given we were kinda hoping to trade a lot since we said fuck you to the EU.

Yeah, you guys really fucked up with that one  :P
When Ginobili gets hot, I get hot in my pants. 

Offline Adami

• DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #5 on: January 20, 2017, 12:38:45 PM »

At least you're independent now!

...that's how it works, right?
fanticide.bandcamp.com

Offline DragonAttack

« Reply #6 on: January 20, 2017, 12:52:29 PM »
Well, at least the speechwriter stopped short, and made sure not to add 'Marry American(s)'....

Trivial, but in his fleet of luxury cars, that include Mercedez-Benz, Bentley, Rolls Royce, Lamborghini, and .... are there any American cars?
Wouldn't be surprised if he was wearing one of his Mexican made ties today. 

The next 22 months can't go by fast enough for me.

Offline cramx3

• Chillest of the chill
  • DTF.org Alumni
    • The Home of cramx3
« Reply #7 on: January 20, 2017, 01:27:50 PM »
The idea is nice, but it's not a reality. 

I'd be fine the the government adopting this policy (if they haven't already) such as only giving out contracts to companies that are in the US.  Might mean overpaying, but the money stays in the US.

Offline Sir GuitarCozmo

• Official Forum Sous Chef and broler5
  • DTF.org Alumni
  • whahibrido pickingant in action...
« Reply #8 on: January 20, 2017, 01:33:36 PM »
"America First" probably wasn't a real fantastic slogan to go with.

Offline Cool Chris

• DTF.org Alumni
  • Rest in Peace
« Reply #9 on: January 20, 2017, 02:32:24 PM »
Was hoping this would be followed by ..."for dating Ivanka."

And why shouldn't the president use the slogan "America First?" He is the president of... America. Are leaders of other countries not prioritizing their own countries first? (sorry, off-topic a bit from the initial post)
"Nostalgia is just the ability to forget the things that sucked" - Nelson DeMille, 'Up Country'

Online TAC

• DTF.org Alumni
  • Just a decent, normal metal-head fellow
« Reply #10 on: January 20, 2017, 02:45:37 PM »
Again, I'm not a Trump defender but it is now his job to ensure the system encourages
1) Buy American
2) Hire American

And..
Trivial, but in his fleet of luxury cars, that include Mercedez-Benz, Bentley, Rolls Royce, Lamborghini, and .... are there any American cars?

...it is trivial. Very. As a private citizen he is more than free to buy whatever car he wants.

"America First" probably wasn't a real fantastic slogan to go with.
Why not? Would "America Last" be better?

would have thought the same thing but seeing the OP was TAC i immediately thought Maiden or DT related
Winger Theater Forums................or WTF.  ;D

Offline Progmetty

• DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #11 on: January 20, 2017, 02:50:38 PM »
Is Vizio good?
I wouldn't want somebody with 18 kids to mow my damn lawn, based on a longstanding bias I have against crazy fucks.

Offline El Barto

• DTF.org Alumni
  • Bad Craziness
« Reply #12 on: January 20, 2017, 03:25:16 PM »
Argument, the presentation of reasonable views, never makes headway against conviction, and conviction takes no part in argument because it knows.
E.F. Benson

Offline cramx3

• Chillest of the chill
  • DTF.org Alumni
    • The Home of cramx3
« Reply #13 on: January 20, 2017, 03:26:51 PM »
Is Vizio good?

I don't own one, but I was surprised to find out a lot of people say they are good for the price point (which is low).  I own two Samsungs and a Panasonic TV so I can't say from my own experience.

Offline Chino

• DT.net Veteran
« Reply #14 on: January 20, 2017, 03:29:52 PM »
Is Vizio good?

I don't own one, but I was surprised to find out a lot of people say they are good for the price point (which is low).  I own two Samsungs and a Panasonic TV so I can't say from my own experience.

I currently have three in my house and have owned six over the last decade. Never had a problem with any of them. In my opinion, for the money, they are hands down the best bang for the buck.

Offline cramx3

• Chillest of the chill
  • DTF.org Alumni
    • The Home of cramx3
« Reply #15 on: January 20, 2017, 03:32:50 PM »
Is Vizio good?

I currently have three in my house and have owned six over the last decade. Never had a problem with any of them. In my opinion, for the money, they are hands down the best bang for the buck.

Yea, on my last TV purchase, I was debating between a low end samsung and a vizio and the salesperson lead me off the the panasonic which was a little more money, but it's by far the best TV I own.  My one friend got a lot of shit for buying a vizio from my other friends saying he was cheap (which he is) but that lead me to look into it and it's got good reviews and other people at work I spoke to also had good things to say about Vizio, hence why I was surprised about the positivity with the low cost.  I think it also depends on what you want to get out of your TV at the end of the day.

Offline El Barto

• DTF.org Alumni
  • Bad Craziness
« Reply #16 on: January 20, 2017, 03:53:00 PM »
Surprised to see Vizio defense. When I was in the market a year ago I noticed that A: people were thinking pretty poorly of them, and B: the price point made rolling the dice unnecessary. It was simply not the best value for what I wanted.

And I'm surprised to suddenly remember that I actually own an American TV. While I have no idea who actually "manufactured" it, I believe that the RCA name is licensed to American companies (though I could be wrong). However, none of this distinction matters. Vizio assembles TVs. They don't manufacture them. They use the same panels and the same circuitry as their Asian counterparts.
E.F. Benson

Online TAC

• DTF.org Alumni
  • Just a decent, normal metal-head fellow
« Reply #17 on: January 20, 2017, 03:55:08 PM »
I have an LG..South Korean.

I also drive a Kia Sedona! :lol
would have thought the same thing but seeing the OP was TAC i immediately thought Maiden or DT related
Winger Theater Forums................or WTF.  ;D

Offline Chino

• DT.net Veteran
« Reply #18 on: January 20, 2017, 06:02:10 PM »
Surprised to see Vizio defense. When I was in the market a year ago I noticed that A: people were thinking pretty poorly of them, and B: the price point made rolling the dice unnecessary. It was simply not the best value for what I wanted.

And I'm surprised to suddenly remember that I actually own an American TV. While I have no idea who actually "manufactured" it, I believe that the RCA name is licensed to American companies (though I could be wrong). However, none of this distinction matters. Vizio assembles TVs. They don't manufacture them. They use the same panels and the same circuitry as their Asian counterparts.

I've read that there are only 7 companies worldwide that produce television screens. All the big names, as well as the small ones, source from the same suppliers.

Offline pogoowner

• Pancake Bunny
  • DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #19 on: January 20, 2017, 06:53:18 PM »

We sold RCA TVs at my last job, and they were returned CONSTANTLY. So many issues with those things.

Offline El Barto

• DTF.org Alumni
  • Bad Craziness
« Reply #20 on: January 20, 2017, 07:05:41 PM »
Mine has been fine, but I don't use it much. It's turned on maybe three times a week. My guess is that it's made by TCL, and they're generally well regarded. I know they manufacture their own panels, and if I had to speculate I'd say that they grade them after production. The top quality ones go in their own branded units. The B grade goes in their off-label stuff (RCA, for example) and also get old to other manufactures. Same as almost all consumer electronic components. Right down to the caps.

As an aside, I'm aware of the reputation that the RCA units have and was skeptical. However, what I decided was that most of the people who bought them ran into a couple of known problems that didn't bother me. My hunch is that most of the returns you got were because they were severely laggy. Xbox will work alright on them, but PC gaming is right out. The problem is very well founded, but not one that effected me. It'll show 1080 video quite well and that's what I bought it for.
E.F. Benson

Offline Stadler

• DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #21 on: January 23, 2017, 08:17:34 AM »
el Barto hit the nail on the head, even if no one called it a nail:   at any reasonable price point, there will ALWAYS be compromises in your electronics, so the trick is to be honest with yourself as to what you are looking for.  For me, it's picture.  I don't give a fuck if it's smart or stupid, I don't care if it has amazing sound (I run my setup through a Denon 7.1 amp/receiver), and I don't care how thin/light/curvy it is.   So for me, Vizio has amazing ratings on picture quality, and I would have no problem buying one.  The problem for ME is, they have three model levels, D, E, and M, and I want M, but they're hard to find.  They don't make the M series in all sizes, and they aren't carried everywhere.  You go to Costco or BJs and you can get a 70" E (I mean the middle series; I think that's E) for like $700.  That's a steal.  The ONLY TV I would pay more for is a Samsung.     

RCA is not made in America; that name is just a license at this point, and has been since GE divested it in the mid 80's.  (1986?)

Offline Chino

• DT.net Veteran
« Reply #22 on: January 23, 2017, 08:25:40 AM »
el Barto hit the nail on the head, even if no one called it a nail:   at any reasonable price point, there will ALWAYS be compromises in your electronics, so the trick is to be honest with yourself as to what you are looking for.  For me, it's picture.  I don't give a fuck if it's smart or stupid, I don't care if it has amazing sound (I run my setup through a Denon 7.1 amp/receiver), and I don't care how thin/light/curvy it is.   So for me, Vizio has amazing ratings on picture quality, and I would have no problem buying one.  The problem for ME is, they have three model levels, D, E, and M, and I want M, but they're hard to find.  They don't make the M series in all sizes, and they aren't carried everywhere.  You go to Costco or BJs and you can get a 70" E (I mean the middle series; I think that's E) for like $700.  That's a steal.  The ONLY TV I would pay more for is a Samsung.     

RCA is not made in America; that name is just a license at this point, and has been since GE divested it in the mid 80's.  (1986?)

Ditto. I am 100% not interested in whether my TV is smart or not. I'd actually prefer they not be and save the money. I'm going to have a PS4 or an Amazon Firestick hooked up to it anyways. All of my current televisions are smart, and I haven't used the functionality on any of them.

Offline Stadler

• DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #23 on: January 23, 2017, 08:26:09 AM »
Honestly, I'm more interested in the TV discussion, but as to the "America" thing, I'm as big a patriot as you can find, and I think we have the best markets and best technology the world has ever known, and in my opinion?

It's beneath us to be manufacturing television sets and assembling cars, and it's not the best use of our skills and time and effort.  Not only that, the American people shouldn't be paying a premium for that.   Let China and Korean make TVs, and let us do those things we do best.   If that means "retraining", so be it.   Life isn't static.   We didn't sit pat when rail took over from horses (and when air took over for rail), and we didn't sit pat when telephones took over for telegrams and such (and when cell technology took over for landlines).    We are innovators.    Artificially gaming the economy to accommodate the manufacture of televisions in Detroit and South Carolina is NOT the answer.

If you think I'm wrong about this, we need only look at the farming industry.  Roosevelt - the left's St. Reagan - put in the same kind of tariffs and controls back in the '30's that Trump is promising for industry today.  BUT: the result was, the world said "FUCK YOU" to American agricultural products, and we're STILL subsidizing the farm industry almost 90 years, and 12 Presidents later.  12 PRESIDENTS!  Almost a CENTURY!

I expect this kind of thing from Bernie, who doesn't know the first thing about international economics, but Trump should know better.  The trick is to make a product and or service that others can't and trade it for those things that everyone could make, but some make cheaper and more efficiently.   

Offline Chino

• DT.net Veteran
« Reply #24 on: January 23, 2017, 08:31:10 AM »
I expect this kind of thing from Bernie, who doesn't know the first thing about international economics, but Trump should know better.  The trick is to make a product and or service that others can't and trade it for those things that everyone could make, but some make cheaper and more efficiently.

Not asking this as a "gotcha" question, but what do you think we could make that China won't reverse engineer and mass market in a matter of years? I was thinking about this a lot over the last few days. Just look at the solar industry. The cost of solar has dropped 25%  in the last five years, and it's only going to get cheaper, and I think China has a lot to do with it. That's a massive industry revolving around some serious innovation, truly amazing stuff, and China's already beaten us to the punch. Even if they hadn't and we had a five year head start on them, it'd only be a matter of years until their factory infrastructure was up to snuff and able to crank out the latest and greatest at a fraction of what the US could.

Offline Stadler

• DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #25 on: January 23, 2017, 10:36:22 AM »

Not asking this as a "gotcha" question, but what do you think we could make that China won't reverse engineer and mass market in a matter of years? I was thinking about this a lot over the last few days. Just look at the solar industry. The cost of solar has dropped 25%  in the last five years, and it's only going to get cheaper, and I think China has a lot to do with it. That's a massive industry revolving around some serious innovation, truly amazing stuff, and China's already beaten us to the punch. Even if they hadn't and we had a five year head start on them, it'd only be a matter of years until their factory infrastructure was up to snuff and able to crank out the latest and greatest at a fraction of what the US could.

Not much, but that's not the point.  Once WE develop it, and reap any benefits we might get from IP, standards that are set, and implementation in the third world, we would WANT it cheaper.  Let them produce five year old technology, as we get a leg up on the next big thing.  We still have advantages that "volume" can't overcome.  We still do make the best steel in the world, believe it or not, and our medical innovations are still at the top tier.   Our transportation industry is still pretty strong, as well.