Author Topic: - " The Astonishing " - One Year -- er, SEVEN YEARS On.  (Read 173092 times)

Offline Lethean

Re: - " The Astonishing " - One Year On.
« Reply #140 on: January 29, 2017, 10:33:53 AM »
I don't feel the same way. I am glad it's (pretty much) only James on the albums now, and I actually wish it was only him on Scenes and everything else. If I had to have another voice, I would prefer JP over MP. I think JP's voice just goes better with JL's voice than MP's does, and I like his voice better too.  When I listen to Scenes with headphones and I'm listening very intently, I feel that it would be that much better without MP's voice. I think we're the opposite here - there are things that I miss about MP, a lot, but I don't miss his vocals at all - not on the albums and certainly not live. I was very upset when he left, but when I started coming to terms with it, my first "look on the bright side" thought was that maybe the vocals would be left to James in future. When the new drummer candidates were announced, I was hoping it would not be Peter Wildoer and I looked to see if any of the others also sang. As much as I loved MP, and I really did, I could only put up with his vocals at best, and at times really hated them.
I disagree with you to some extent. I think what MP brought to SFaM was excellent. I love how, unlike IaW, it was possible for the band to replicate live what the vocals sounded like on the album. But I will agree that some of MP's vocals, particularly his pseudo-cookie-monster vocals on ANtR were completely unnecessary, and that's one thing that I was glad they got rid of. And for that reason alone, I too was hoping Wildoer wouldn't get the job for fear they'd capitalize on that style of vocal even more.

We're agreed on the Nightmare vocals for sure.  His vocals were the biggest detracting factors in SC and Black Clouds for me.  I could live with them on the albums before - especially when listening to the albums while doing something else at the same time.  They just bugged me when I was listening very intently, but not to such an extreme where I didn't like the albums as much.  I still prefer Scenes over Images and Words, for example.  SC and Black Clouds really took it to a different level and one that (for me), detracted from the music.  When the super duper deluxe version of Black Clouds came out, even though I have never used any kind of music software in my life, I was looking forward to using the stem tracks to make myself an MP-free version of the album.  Sadly for me, the vocals were just one track and you couldn't separate his vocals from JL's.  But that's just me. 

Live - I didn't think the backing vocals were all that good.  On some parts, I really think it would have been better if it was just JP singing, or even just MP.  "There can be no turning back..." never worked for me with the two of them singing together, for example. On the Dramatic Turn tour, when James sang it himself - I really thought it just sounded so much better.  I'm not trying to put MP down with these comments, though it may seem that way.  He is quite possibly my favorite drummer, he has written some great lyrics, and been involved in the writing of great songs and albums.  He is an amazing musician, but singing is just not his gift (imo of course).

I also don't care that much about backing vocals being prerecorded.  I know some people hate it, but for me, I don't care.  It's not important to me to have multiple voices on an album or in a live performance.  MP always liked to remind us how many great bands had multiple singers, and so they did, but those bands had multiple *good* singers, and there are probably more great bands who had only one singer anyway.  If it's King's X, then yeah, bring it on.  If it's Rush, no, no thank you.  The only voice I want to hear is Geddy's, and their system of Alex singing with his mic turned way down while Geddy's vocals are piped in is a-OK with me.  (Especially after hearing a bootleg where you could really hear Alex's vocals loud and clear).  I feel about DT the way I do about Rush, or Riverside, or Iron Maiden, or plenty of other bands; I don't need other voices.

Quote from: Setlist Scotty
With TSOAD, I think it's interesting that he says it's the album of his career but he doesn't know anything about the story.  I've seen two interviews where he just said that was all Neal's department.  He even admitted one or two other guys in the band had read the book it was based off of.  Just seems like if this truly was the album of his career, he would know a little bit more about the thing that actually makes this a concept album.
I don't find it so hard to believe. The man has never been all about the lyrics, unlike JP. Yeah, he wrote some, and certainly he was heavily involved in directing the story of SFaM. But otherwise, he seems to have a pretty hands off approach to lyrics. I think for him (and I believe he's made comments in interviews stating this), it's all about the music - the lyrics don't mean much to him. That's one of the reasons why he can be doing all sorts of stuff with NM and still love Slayer and all sorts of other bands that are diametrically opposed. And I don't think he's much of a book reader either - he's all about movies. So for that reason, when he says he knows little about the story that makes up this album of his career, it's really not surprising or strange.
Hey this is a really good point. I can totally see that about him.  As a fan I'm in between him and those who put very high importance on lyrics; better lyrics make for a better experience for me, but if I like the music enough I can (almost always) get past bad ones.

Offline KevShmev

• EZBoard Elder
« Reply #141 on: January 29, 2017, 10:39:57 AM »
I agree that the vocals Portnoy and Petrucci did on SFAM were fine. The harmonies in Fatal Tragedy are really nice, and the background stuff in Home, for example, is good...in the studio.  Live, Portnoy often tried to put too much attitude in them, and it came off horribly more often than not (see: that crap he does during the verses in Home on Live Scenes or that scream in the 8V part of the medley on the SC tour). 

I am fine with JLB doing all (or almost all) of the vocals again in the studio, and them having to pipe them in live.  Imagine them having recorded Take the Time back in the day with Portnoy and Petrucci doing the "take the time" in the chorus, like they did live in the 00s.  That would have been...not good.

Offline erwinrafael

« Reply #142 on: January 29, 2017, 10:51:36 AM »
I also don't care that much about backing vocals being prerecorded.  I know some people hate it, but for me, I don't care.  It's not important to me to have multiple voices on an album or in a live performance.  MP always liked to remind us how many great bands had multiple singers, and so they did, but those bands had multiple *good* singers, and there are probably more great bands who had only one singer anyway.  If it's King's X, then yeah, bring it on.  If it's Rush, no, no thank you.  The only voice I want to hear is Geddy's, and their system of Alex singing with his mic turned way down while Geddy's vocals are piped in is a-OK with me.  (Especially after hearing a bootleg where you could really hear Alex's vocals loud and clear).  I feel about DT the way I do about Rush, or Riverside, or Iron Maiden, or plenty of other bands; I don't need other voices.

I agree. If you are not at the level of Queen, Extreme, Bon Jovi or Def Leppard, don't sing as a group.

Offline rumborak

• DT.net Veteran
« Reply #143 on: January 29, 2017, 02:59:59 PM »
I agree that the vocals Portnoy and Petrucci did on SFAM were fine. The harmonies in Fatal Tragedy are really nice, and the background stuff in Home, for example, is good...in the studio.  Live, Portnoy often tried to put too much attitude in them, and it came off horribly more often than not (see: that crap he does during the verses in Home on Live Scenes or that scream in the 8V part of the medley on the SC tour). 

I had not thought of that in a long time. Man yeah, MP's singing on the DVD is something else.

I am not too big a fan of James doing all the backing vocals. He has a somewhat narrow timbre, and even MP's nasal voice I thought worked better as a backing voice (on the albums) than just James'.
Of the members of current DT, I would say JR could be excellent in that regard. He has a very nice baritone voice and clearly can hold a tune.
"I liked when Myung looked like a women's figure skating champion."

Online TAC

• DTF.org Alumni
  • Arthritic Metal Horns
« Reply #144 on: January 29, 2017, 03:13:19 PM »
I've never heard JR sing. What has he sang on?
would have thought the same thing but seeing the OP was TAC i immediately thought Maiden or DT related
Winger Theater Forums........or WTF.  ;D
TAC got a higher score than me in the electronic round? Honestly, can I just drop out now? :lol

Offline rumborak

• DT.net Veteran
« Reply #145 on: January 29, 2017, 03:17:03 PM »
There's at least one solo album tune that he sang IIRC.

EDIT: Interesting article:

https://www.ultimate-guitar.com/news/general_music_news/jordan_rudess_why_i_dont_sing_or_write_lyrics_for_dream_theater.html

Asked on why he never sang on a DT record despite providing lead vocals for his solo work - on 1993's "Listen" album in particular - the man explained: "When I joined the group was very set in its ways and I never really pushed to do it; I was always very busy doing other things.

"But that doesn't change the reality that I have a decent voice and I can keep really good pitch. Although my range is very low, so that's one thing that would prevent me from being very proactive about wanting to do it."

Bummer. I think Jordan could be a really cool counterpoint to James.
"I liked when Myung looked like a women's figure skating champion."

Online Adami

• Moderator of awesomeness
« Reply #146 on: January 29, 2017, 03:26:10 PM »
fanticide.bandcamp.com

Offline gzarruk

« Reply #147 on: January 29, 2017, 04:25:09 PM »
The fact that Jordan has perfect pitch means he can sing in tune all the time, unlike James  :lol :biggrin: Also, I think he could do backing vocals perfectly.

About the JP/MP vocals, I didn't say I miss the MP vocals, like Vakaren said, his vocals on SC and BC&SL were terrible (and I'm probably the biggest supporter of SC on DTF). I think the man can sing well, but he definitely needs someone to filter his vocal contributions and tell him, because not everything he thinks sounds good actually sounds good, specially when he sings lead, oh man, that's bad.

What I DO miss about the MP era is them being more open to extra vocals/harmonies from the other members. JP has a very cool voice and can definitely help the songs when used right. I really like his singing in TMOLS, for example. I also think his voice suits DT much better than MP's.
It sounds like, "ruk, ruk, ruk, ruk, ruk." Instead of the more pleasing kick drum sound of, "gzarruk, gzarruk, gzarruk, gzarruk."

Online Adami

• Moderator of awesomeness
« Reply #148 on: January 29, 2017, 04:30:23 PM »
The fact that Jordan has perfect pitch means he can sing in tune all the time, unlike James  :lol :biggrin:

Sadly it does not.
fanticide.bandcamp.com

Offline Evai

« Reply #149 on: January 29, 2017, 05:00:09 PM »
JP has a very cool voice and can definitely help the songs when used right. I really like his singing in TMOLS, for example.

Yeah JPs voice sounds great on record... When it's high pass filtered, drenched in reverb, slightly pitch corrected and mixed into the background  :D
Jordan took Moore's boring, pedestrian parts and elevated them considerably to take them from barely palatable to stellar.

Offline gzarruk

« Reply #150 on: January 29, 2017, 05:12:20 PM »
He can even sing the high parts "almost perfectly"   :rollin
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=X5gloy7sxuc
It sounds like, "ruk, ruk, ruk, ruk, ruk." Instead of the more pleasing kick drum sound of, "gzarruk, gzarruk, gzarruk, gzarruk."

Online RoeDent

• 2006 Time Magazine Person of the Year
« Reply #151 on: January 31, 2017, 07:04:42 AM »
The talk of MP's vocals here reminded me (perhaps unfortunately) of those weird "screams" he did during the Razor's Edge part of the Schmedley Wilcox medleY. "We mooove in circles WHAAAA-HAAAAA!!!!" Just......what on earth was he thinking?! The problem is, he seemed to be deadly serious in doing it, no real smile on his face or anything. I mean, we all regret decisions we make, it's just not all of our regrets are immortalized on DVD for everyone to see years down the line.

Oh...Thread duty: The Astonishing is great.  :tup

Offline Lethean

« Reply #152 on: January 31, 2017, 08:21:06 AM »

About the JP/MP vocals, I didn't say I miss the MP vocals, like Vakaren said, his vocals on SC and BC&SL were terrible (and I'm probably the biggest supporter of SC on DTF). I think the man can sing well, but he definitely needs someone to filter his vocal contributions and tell him, because not everything he thinks sounds good actually sounds good, specially when he sings lead, oh man, that's bad.

What I DO miss about the MP era is them being more open to extra vocals/harmonies from the other members. JP has a very cool voice and can definitely help the songs when used right. I really like his singing in TMOLS, for example. I also think his voice suits DT much better than MP's.
I like JP's vocals on Ministry of List Souls too. They're brief, understated, but have the right feel. But I think that sort of thing should be the exception rather than the rule, and so I like the way they're doing things now. His vocals on Illumination Theory are similarly well done.

For the record, I also do like SC quite a lot.

As for the Astonishing, I just don't think it would have been better or enhanced by other voices; I am so happy that it is the way that it is. Listening to it on it's anniversary reminded me yet again how incredible that album is. :)

Offline gzarruk

« Reply #153 on: January 31, 2017, 03:23:47 PM »
The talk of MP's vocals here reminded me (perhaps unfortunately) of those weird "screams" he did during the Razor's Edge part of the Schmedley Wilcox medleY. "We mooove in circles WHAAAA-HAAAAA!!!!" Just......what on earth was he thinking?! The problem is, he seemed to be deadly serious in doing it, no real smile on his face or anything. I mean, we all regret decisions we make, it's just not all of our regrets are immortalized on DVD for everyone to see years down the line.

Oh, man that was awful! The worst part, as you say, is that he actually thought that would sound good  :facepalm: :facepalm: :facepalm: So glad he never got to do it on the studio version  :omg:
So glad they also retired medleys completely  :laugh:

I like JP's vocals on Ministry of List Souls too. They're brief, understated, but have the right feel. But I think that sort of thing should be the exception rather than the rule, and so I like the way they're doing things now. His vocals on Illumination Theory are similarly well done.

For the record, I also do like SC quite a lot.

As for the Astonishing, I just don't think it would have been better or enhanced by other voices; I am so happy that it is the way that it is. Listening to it on it's anniversary reminded me yet again how incredible that album is. :)

I think the vocals on IT (the last part, if that's what you're refering to) were all James too. Vocals in the studio have been 100% James for the last 3 albums.

I rank SC higher than 8V, TOT, FII BC&SL and WDADU  :biggrin:

TA is, indeed a perfect album the way it is. It's 3rd on my DT rank and I love it  :D

Offline KevShmev

• EZBoard Elder
« Reply #154 on: January 31, 2017, 06:02:53 PM »

The silver lining there is that is on their own DVD which most seem to agree is by far their worst, so it's not like it tainted what was otherwise a stellar concert video.

Offline Architeuthis

« Reply #155 on: January 31, 2017, 07:32:02 PM »

Lol, one of the most cringeworthy moments in DT history. It almost sounded like he really was walking barefoot on a Razors Edge.. Not dissing on Portnoy, he was just obviously excited to play that part.  :lol
You can do a lot in a lifetime if you don't burn out too fast, you can make the most of the distance, first you need endurance first you've got to last....... NP

Offline Setlist Scotty

« Reply #156 on: February 02, 2017, 04:27:35 PM »

Lol, one of the most cringeworthy moments in DT history. It almost sounded like he really was walking barefoot on a Razors Edge.. Not dissing on Portnoy, he was just obviously excited to play that part.  :lol
I've never actually watched the video all the way through, but I've listened to the audio (I'm much more an audio guy than video), so I know what you guys are talking about. However, I can't help but think it's just MP screwing around more than anything else.

The other thing it's good to remember is that originally, MP/the band had no intentions of releasing a live product from the Chaos in Motion tour, which is why no shows were specifically filmed as they were for Score, etc. So MP had to pick and choose from the shows that they had pro-shot video from. Can't remember if he did this during all the shows that had the medley or not, but that might help explain why he left it on there.
As a basic rule, if you hate it, you must solely blame Portnoy. If it's good, then you must downplay MP's contribution to the band as not being important anyway, or claim he's just lying. It's the DTF way.

Offline sfam2112

• "Oops!" Insurance Salesman
« Reply #157 on: February 02, 2017, 06:28:38 PM »

The other thing it's good to remember is that originally, MP/the band had no intentions of releasing a live product from the Chaos in Motion tour, which is why no shows were specifically filmed as they were for Score, etc. So MP had to pick and choose from the shows that they had pro-shot video from. Can't remember if he did this during all the shows that had the medley or not, but that might help explain why he left it on there.

I don't remember him doing that for any of the shows I saw on that tour, but I think that version is from the Montreal (?) Progressive Nation set which I believe was professionally filmed. I remember the announcement that they were going to film that night. Hence, the better video/sound for that part of the DVD (Forsaken, Ministry, Schmedley). :) So, he had to know cameras were rolling. :P :biggrin: Sorry for derailing further...
My music:
https://soundcloud.com/tommybrittmusic

"I love to rock. I love to rock hard. I love hard rockin'! I LIKE TO ROCK!! I LOVE TO ROCK!!!!" - Colin Mochrie

Offline Cyclopssss

• Vocal Dinosaur pre-heat combustable
  • Connoseur of love
« Reply #158 on: February 03, 2017, 12:28:55 AM »
Just revisiting TA again today. Yep, still good!  :metal
From the ocean comes the notion that the realise lies in rhythm. The rhythm of vision is dancer, and when you dance you´re always on the one. From the looking comes to see, wondrous realise real eyes....

Offline Pettor

« Reply #159 on: February 03, 2017, 02:36:29 AM »
I am listening to it quite often still. It's a really cool album with great melodies. I love musicals like JCS and when Rudess hits the piano, so this album is at many times pure bliss.

The issue I have is the overall story and some songs that destroys the flow. There are too much "you and me" love moments in there and too little badass prog stuff. Feels like every time the album is building in tension it quickly drops down to some love moment again. Something with the flow is not working for me.  Like when the album starts building from Ravenskill and hits A New Beginning I really just want the album to stay dramatic, big and complex from that moment. And at times it does. But it quickly goes down and the only really proggy moment on cd2 is A Path that Divides, which is freakin awesome! Damn it, I just want a Fatal Tragedy, a In The Name of God, a Glass Prison in there. Something dark, brooding, complex and longer that only DT could have done for an album like this. The story is hitting climax, go crazy!

I mean the melodies are all awesome and there isn't a single weak song (even if I don't fully like some of them). That is also the issue I guess. That it's hard to cut good songs, but the album would be better without some.

Listening to Scenes From a Memory right now and ofc it's a different musical concept, but still the flow is what makes Scenes so god damn great. You have everything in there and you get it just at the right time. I never get tired of a single moment because the album knows just when to switch style and still build tension to that epic dramatic climax only DT can do.

However The Astonishing is a great album and I love that they made it. It feels fresh, have some of the best moments in their career and is filled with good stuff. Also, James is on fire!
« Last Edit: February 03, 2017, 02:42:10 AM by Pettor »

Offline erwinrafael

« Reply #160 on: February 03, 2017, 08:05:32 AM »
Aren't Moment of Betrayal, The Walking Shadow and My Last Farewell proggy?

It's already my favorite DT albim, but if I would be asked to trim the unnecessary songs, I will just remove Brother Can You Hear Me, Begin Again and Whispers on the Wind. Maybe Road to Revolution and 2285 Entracte if I want to make it one straight playthrough.
« Last Edit: February 03, 2017, 09:42:31 AM by erwinrafael »

Offline Mosh

• For I have dined on honeydew!
« Reply #161 on: February 03, 2017, 09:23:31 AM »

I don't remember him doing that for any of the shows I saw on that tour, but I think that version is from the Montreal (?) Progressive Nation set which I believe was professionally filmed. I remember the announcement that they were going to film that night. Hence, the better video/sound for that part of the DVD (Forsaken, Ministry, Schmedley). :) So, he had to know cameras were rolling. :P :biggrin: Sorry for derailing further...
That gig should've been the whole DVD. Way better quality and the venue is really nice.

New Animal Soup scifi space opera for fans of Porcupine Tree, Mastodon, Iron Maiden: Chariots of the Gods

https://animalsoup.bandcamp.com/album/chariots-of-the-gods

Offline gzarruk

« Reply #162 on: February 03, 2017, 11:18:04 AM »

That gig should've been the whole DVD. Way better quality and the venue is really nice.

I agree! Somehow MP managed to ignore most of the best quality footage and gave us CIM instead  :huh:

Online mikeyd23

« Reply #163 on: February 03, 2017, 11:25:09 AM »
^ I think that's because the whole idea of that DVD was to be a tour-journal type concert film, not only spanning multiple shows across the world tour, but also having various degrees of quality from show to show. If I remember right, that was all intention. Remember this was right after the two previous tour cycles produced LaB and Score, two very high-quality tradition concert DVD releases. CiM was supposed to be something fun and different.

Offline gzarruk

« Reply #164 on: February 03, 2017, 11:28:13 AM »
^ I think that's because the whole idea of that DVD was to be a tour-journal type concert film, not only spanning multiple shows across the world tour, but also having various degrees of quality from show to show. If I remember right, that was all intention. Remember this was right after the two previous tour cycles produced LaB and Score, two very high-quality tradition concert DVD releases. CiM was supposed to be something fun and different.

Well, for what I remember, I really liked it. The quality not that much, but the songs that made it are really cool. I might have to watch that DVD again  :smiley:

Online mikeyd23

« Reply #165 on: February 03, 2017, 11:33:03 AM »

Well, for what I remember, I really liked it. The quality not that much, but the songs that made it are really cool. I might have to watch that DVD again  :smiley:

It's one of my least favorite DT live releases easily. The bonus stuff was great though.

Offline gzarruk

« Reply #166 on: February 03, 2017, 11:41:32 AM »

It's one of my least favorite DT live releases easily. The bonus stuff was great though.

Speaking of bonus stuff, am I the only one who still hopes there's a reissue of Metropolis 2000 with better quality and the complete setlist?  :'(

Offline ChuckSteak

« Reply #167 on: February 05, 2017, 08:15:13 AM »
I don't know. I listened to it twice and it was more than enough for me. I thought it was the worst album DT ever did. It didn't hold my interest at all, so I don't feel like listening to it again.

Online Herrick

• Hello Mangs
« Reply #168 on: February 11, 2017, 08:41:21 PM »
I wasn't a fan of it when it came out but I only listened to it twice. I don't think Dream Theater needs to be "metal" all the time but I thought there were too many slow filler moments. I've never really cared about lyrics so it doesn't matter to me if the lyrics are terrible or great on this album. I only check out the lyrics if I really love the music and even then I don't always pay attention to the lyrics.

I'm going to be listening to it this week because I always thought it needs to be absorbed and I never gave it that chance. I'm actually listening to it right now but I won't finish it because I planned on watching Boogie Nights. LaBrie does sound really good though.

Edit: All right so I listened to again which would make it my third time listening to it. I dislike it less than I did on my first two listens back when it came out, but I still think there are way too many slow songs. They're not bad songs but they're just meh. The songs that rock are pretty good.

At this point, it may be an album I'll listen to once a year on a plane ride or something. This is one of those albums where as a fan I have to ask myself, "Herrick, would you even bother listening to this again if it wasn't Dream Theater?".

« Last Edit: February 12, 2017, 06:53:17 PM by Herrick »
DISPLAY thy Breasts, My Julia!

Offline gzarruk

« Reply #169 on: February 12, 2017, 06:20:55 PM »
LaBrie does sound really good though.

Indeed, one of the highlights of the album, for sure.

Offline red barchetta

• don't worry, I'm being watched lol
« Reply #170 on: February 12, 2017, 09:09:56 PM »
I wasn't a fan of it when it came out but I only listened to it twice. I don't think Dream Theater needs to be "metal" all the time but I thought there were too many slow filler moments. I've never really cared about lyrics so it doesn't matter to me if the lyrics are terrible or great on this album. I only check out the lyrics if I really love the music and even then I don't always pay attention to the lyrics.

I'm going to be listening to it this week because I always thought it needs to be absorbed and I never gave it that chance. I'm actually listening to it right now but I won't finish it because I planned on watching Boogie Nights. LaBrie does sound really good though.

Edit: All right so I listened to again which would make it my third time listening to it. I dislike it less than I did on my first two listens back when it came out, but I still think there are way too many slow songs. They're not bad songs but they're just meh. The songs that rock are pretty good.

At this point, it may be an album I'll listen to once a year on a plane ride or something. This is one of those albums where as a fan I have to ask myself, "Herrick, would you even bother listening to this again if it wasn't Dream Theater?".

I like your last sentence.
With all respect, sincerely yours

Online Herrick

• Hello Mangs
« Reply #171 on: February 13, 2017, 10:17:33 AM »

I like your last sentence.

Why thank you, Eddie ;D

And I like your name and avatar :tup
DISPLAY thy Breasts, My Julia!

Online goo-goo

« Reply #172 on: February 13, 2017, 10:54:16 AM »
Speaking of bonus stuff, am I the only one who still hopes there's a reissue of Metropolis 2000 with better quality and the complete setlist?  :'(

I would have liked this also but I think with Mangini in the band, this re-release has a lesser chance of happening. Same for a Score bluray.

Offline metrojam

« Reply #173 on: February 13, 2017, 11:24:12 AM »
Simple answers to the OP's two questions:-

Then: Very weak and disappointing.

Now: STILL very weak and disappointing!!

Offline cramx3

• Chillest of the chill
  • DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #174 on: February 13, 2017, 11:29:36 AM »
Listened to disc 1 in full on my road trip a couple weeks ago.  First time in a long time giving the whole disc a spin at once.  Loved it.