Author Topic: - " The Astonishing " - One Year -- er, SEVEN YEARS On.  (Read 175181 times)

Offline bosk1

• King of Misdirection
  • Administrator
  • Bow down to Boskaryus
Re: - " The Astonishing " - One Year -- er, TWO YEARS On.
« Reply #770 on: December 12, 2018, 03:16:27 PM »
LOVE The X Aspect.  That 4 song run of Ravenskill, Chosen, A Tempting Offer, The X Aspect just slays me.
"The Supreme Court of the United States has descended from the disciplined legal reasoning of John Marshall and Joseph Story to the mystical aphorisms of the fortune cookie."

Offline SwedishGoose

• DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #771 on: December 12, 2018, 03:31:09 PM »
LOVE The X Aspect.  That 4 song run of Ravenskill, Chosen, A Tempting Offer, The X Aspect just slays me.

Me too...

Offline JRuless

« Reply #772 on: December 12, 2018, 03:56:35 PM »

Me too...

Absolutely! The evangeline theme reprise...wonderful!

Offline Darkstarshades

« Reply #773 on: December 12, 2018, 04:31:53 PM »
The amount of people that don't like bagpipes is amazing, it's even ranked somewhere among the worst instruments ever.
Jatruccyundessgini

Offline SwedishGoose

• DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #774 on: December 12, 2018, 04:36:26 PM »
The amount of people that don't like bagpipes is amazing, it's even ranked somewhere among the worst instruments ever.

I love them and think they fit greatly in the concept.

Offline Anguyen92

« Reply #775 on: December 12, 2018, 04:55:10 PM »
I think bagpipes have its charm in music.  That stated, I can understand if you hear bagpipes all the time, you just want to poke a hole in the bag to stop the noise.

Offline dparrott

« Reply #776 on: December 12, 2018, 10:44:44 PM »
They sounds OK if done right, like the Intro track to Korn's Issues album.
"I don't know nuttin about nuttin" - Marshawn Lynch

The very soul of what was once real music is now lost in a digital quagmire of emotionless sonic madness.

Offline Shooters1221

« Reply #777 on: December 13, 2018, 12:35:01 AM »

The X Aspect really hits me too, I think its the way each verse is bolder than the previous. It just builds..That was an AWESOME song LIVE! Leaves me wanting more...in a way.

Offline Architeuthis

« Reply #778 on: December 13, 2018, 01:51:32 AM »
I think bagpipes have its charm in music.  That stated, I can understand if you hear bagpipes all the time, you just want to poke a hole in the bag to stop the noise.
I like how AC/DC uses them in "A Long Way to the Top if Y ou Want to Rock-n-Roll". 
 They are used very well on TA album throughout! 
You can do a lot in a lifetime if you don't burn out too fast, you can make the most of the distance, first you need endurance first you've got to last....... NP

Online Chino

• Be excellent to each other.
  • DT.net Veteran
« Reply #779 on: December 13, 2018, 06:08:06 AM »
Bagpipes are awesome.

Offline SwedishGoose

• DTF.org Alumni

Offline Dublagent66

• Devouring consciousness...
  • DTF.org Alumni
  • ...Digesting power
« Reply #781 on: December 13, 2018, 08:28:44 AM »
It's the same as women and machinery.  Bagpipes and DT don't mix. :p
"Two things are infinite; the universe and human stupidity; and I'm not sure about the universe." -Albert Einstein
"There's not a pill you can take.  There's not a class you can go to.  Stupid is foreva."  -Ron White

Online geeeemo

« Reply #782 on: December 13, 2018, 08:35:41 AM »

c'mon man, I am an aircraft mechanic.   :heart

Online Chino

• Be excellent to each other.
  • DT.net Veteran
« Reply #783 on: December 13, 2018, 09:30:13 AM »

Offline EPIC Outro

« Reply #784 on: December 13, 2018, 09:55:26 AM »

I'm a big Astonishing fan and would like to edit my own single disc version one day, just for fun. I am hoping we will get at least one TA song on the new tour.

Offline Architeuthis

« Reply #785 on: December 13, 2018, 10:00:25 AM »

Cool!  I hope you can listen to the new DT while doing an annual on a plane without losing focus. Every rivet or tiny crack in a cylinder is critical..   :metal
You can do a lot in a lifetime if you don't burn out too fast, you can make the most of the distance, first you need endurance first you've got to last....... NP

Online geeeemo

« Reply #786 on: December 13, 2018, 10:24:42 AM »

Cool!  I hope you can listen to the new DT while doing an annual on a plane without losing focus. Every rivet or tiny crack in a cylinder is critical..   :metal

I could've, but am retired from that and own a hydraulic shop with my hubby. But could have easily re-installed and rigged the horizontal or vertical stabilizer while rocking to any DT!! :metal

Offline Architeuthis

« Reply #787 on: December 13, 2018, 11:16:12 AM »
Oh yeah, I think that would help. There's a lot en-TAILED on that section of the plane.   :biggrin:
A good way to describe some of DT music = 100LL. High octane!  :metal

Offline IDontNotDoThings

« Reply #788 on: December 13, 2018, 05:25:05 PM »
Would you say the album drags on too much, or does it have enough thrust to keep it going? :P
ドリームシアターはあまり好きではありませんが、ペンと紙を持っていたので、なんてこった。

Online geeeemo

« Reply #789 on: December 13, 2018, 10:18:15 PM »
Would you say the album drags on too much, or does it have enough thrust to keep it going? :P

It "lifts" me every time ;)

Offline Bertielee

• RIP, Dad (1935-2017)
« Reply #790 on: December 14, 2018, 01:52:54 AM »

The same for me : this run is unbelevable! But The X Aspect : what a fabulous little song! Love everything about it.

B.Lee
"Life is divided into two sets of people : people who have lost and people who haven't yet." George Michael

Offline MirrorMask

« Reply #791 on: December 14, 2018, 01:57:21 AM »
Speaking of a run, I'd say that the initial one is the strongest one - From the Overture until Three Days, it's pure uninterrupted perfection. I concede that out of this bunch, Act of Faythe is not as awesome as the rest, but all in all, it's an unparalled and uninterrupted run of awesome songs.
I use my sig to pimp some bands from Italy! Check out Elvenking (Power / Folk metal), Folkstone (Rock / Medieval metal), Arcana Opera (Gothic/Noir/Heavy metal) and the beautiful voice of Elisa!

Offline IDontNotDoThings

« Reply #792 on: December 14, 2018, 02:41:45 AM »

Weight a minute there

Offline jlbsignet

« Reply #793 on: December 14, 2018, 03:08:32 PM »
Really strange....I played it about 4 times when it came out and just couldnt get into it. But because of this thread, I thought Id have another go {while jamming along as well} and I really really like it.  erggh now the bagpipes have just come in...but I'll ignore those lol!

Offline dparrott

« Reply #794 on: December 15, 2018, 12:14:21 AM »

Weight a minute, man.

Fixed.
"I don't know nuttin about nuttin" - Marshawn Lynch

The very soul of what was once real music is now lost in a digital quagmire of emotionless sonic madness.

Offline robwebster

« Reply #795 on: December 15, 2018, 08:49:53 AM »
Speaking of a run, I'd say that the initial one is the strongest one - From the Overture until Three Days, it's pure uninterrupted perfection. I concede that out of this bunch, Act of Faythe is not as awesome as the rest, but all in all, it's an unparalled and uninterrupted run of awesome songs.
This is one of those things where I think presentation, like track order, can make a huge difference.

It sounds completely arbitrary - but if The Astonishing had been a run of three LPs, maybe with releases every three weeks, I'd probably have a lot more time for it, and that first disc would have been killer!

The Saviour
(Descent of the NOMACs)
1. Dystopian Overture
2. The Gift of Music
3. The Answer
4. A Better Life
5. Lord Nafaryus
6. A Saviour in the Square / When Your Time Has Come
7. Act of Faythe
8. Three Days
ca. 37 minutes

The Plan
(The Hovering Sojourn)
1. Brother Can You Hear Me
2. A Life Left Behind
3. Ravenskill
4. Chosen
5. A Tempting Offer
(Digital Discord)
6. The X Aspect
7. A New Beginning
8. The Road to Revolution
ca. 53 minutes 43 minutes, thank you IDontNotDoThings!

The Astonishing
1. 2285 Entr'acte
2. Moment of Betrayal
3. Heaven's Cove
4. Begin Again
5. The Path that Divides
(Machine Chatter)
6. The Walking Shadow
7. My Last Farewell
8. Losing Faythe
9. Whispers on the Wind
10. Hymn of a Thousand Voices
11. Our New World
(Power Down)
12. Astonishing
ca. 51 minutes

Without making any changes to the music (in fact, you could even extend A New Beginning and Descent of the NOMACs now you're not limited by the length of the disc!) that feels a lot more digestible.

It's the same way I'll rarely put a three hour film on, but I'll happily watch three hours' worth of something on Netflix. I'd probably still get fatigued if I played it all start to finish, but the option to "jump off" at points makes it feel less daunting. I also think it'd help certain songs stand out, particularly on the second half of the first disc. BCYHM is the point where I lose energy at the moment - I don't think I'd have the same issue with it if it were the second disc's opener.  And honestly, all three of those discs are still longer than some of my favourite full albums this year.

Honestly, there's still stuff I'd cut, and it still wouldn't be my favourite album. But it feels like the DT album I most want to fiddle around with.
« Last Edit: December 19, 2018, 01:05:36 AM by robwebster »

Offline MirrorMask

« Reply #796 on: December 15, 2018, 02:22:56 PM »
I agree with you; the idea that the first disc could be seen as Act 1 and Act 2 joined together, with the second disc being Act 3, crossed my mind. The ending of Three Days is a perfect moment for a symbolic "curtain call".
I use my sig to pimp some bands from Italy! Check out Elvenking (Power / Folk metal), Folkstone (Rock / Medieval metal), Arcana Opera (Gothic/Noir/Heavy metal) and the beautiful voice of Elisa!

Offline Ninjabait

• XBOX is a God to Me
  • PR permission
« Reply #797 on: December 15, 2018, 09:57:32 PM »
Yeah, I'm thirding that. I've always mentally divided Disc 1 into an Act I from Descent to Three Days and an Act II for the rest of it. It just works so well as an act closer imo!

Offline bill1971

« Reply #798 on: December 16, 2018, 03:03:55 PM »
Glad to see all of the love for this album. I've listened to it twice the last 30 days. I actually have a hard time knowing the song titles but love the whole flow. It's a shame if got so much hate.

Offline Architeuthis

« Reply #799 on: December 16, 2018, 08:22:55 PM »
Glad to see all of the love for this album. I've listened to it twice the last 30 days. I actually have a hard time knowing the song titles but love the whole flow. It's a shame if got so much hate.
Yeah same here,  I think it is monumental in DT's catalog and it never gets old for me. I enjoy it everytime it finds it's way back to the CD player, which is quite often..  :coolio

Offline gzarruk

« Reply #800 on: December 16, 2018, 08:29:49 PM »
Yeah same here,  I think it is monumental in DT's catalog and it never gets old for me. I enjoy it everytime it finds it's way back to the CD muuuuusic player, which is quite often..  :coolio

FTFY
It sounds like, "ruk, ruk, ruk, ruk, ruk." Instead of the more pleasing kick drum sound of, "gzarruk, gzarruk, gzarruk, gzarruk."

Offline Architeuthis

« Reply #801 on: December 16, 2018, 09:05:27 PM »
Oh yeah, much better!  ;)

Offline bosk1

• King of Misdirection
  • Administrator
  • Bow down to Boskaryus
« Reply #802 on: December 17, 2018, 08:21:37 AM »
This is one of those things where I think presentation, like track order, can make a huge difference.

It sounds completely arbitrary - but if The Astonishing had been a run of three LPs, maybe with releases every three weeks, I'd probably have a lot more time for it, and that first disc would have been killer!

The Saviour
(Descent of the NOMACs)
1. Dystopian Overture
2. The Gift of Music
3. The Answer
4. A Better Life
5. Lord Nafaryus
7. Act of Faythe
8. Three Days
ca. 37 minutes

The Plan
(The Hovering Sojourn)
2. A Life Left Behind
3. Ravenskill
4. Chosen
5. A Tempting Offer
(Digital Discord)
6. The X Aspect
7. A New Beginning
ca. 53 minutes

The Astonishing
1. 2285 Entr'acte
2. Moment of Betrayal
3. Heaven's Cove
4. Begin Again
5. The Path that Divides
(Machine Chatter)
6. The Walking Shadow
7. My Last Farewell
8. Losing Faythe
9. Whispers on the Wind
11. Our New World
(Power Down)
12. Astonishing
ca. 51 minutes

Without making any changes to the music (in fact, you could even extend A New Beginning and Descent of the NOMACs now you're not limited by the length of the disc!) that feels a lot more digestible.

It's the same way I'll rarely put a three hour film on, but I'll happily watch three hours' worth of something on Netflix. I'd probably still get fatigued if I played it all start to finish, but the option to "jump off" points makes it feel less daunting. I also think it'd help certain songs stand out, particularly on the second half of the first disc. BCYHM is the point where I lose energy at the moment - I don't think I'd have the same issue with it if it were the second disc's opener.  And honestly, all three of those discs are still longer than some of my favourite full albums this year.

Honestly, there's still stuff I'd cut, and it still wouldn't be my favourite album. But it feels like the DT album I most want to fiddle around with.

I had toyed around quite a bit with different ways of doing the album, but I hadn't thought of this.  That REALLY could have worked.  And it would have allowed for a song to cover the biggest area that I thought was lacking:  A song or two about the war itself that helped take the stakes up a notch, including something about the NOMACS themselves to make them seem more fearsome.  There would be room in Act I the way you have it divided up, and I think it could have worked really nicely.  Musically, Three Days is a really cool way to end Act I.  But in terms of plot, putting a song right there about the people dying in war and poverty, and Nafaryus being at the center of it all would have served the story really well.
"The Supreme Court of the United States has descended from the disciplined legal reasoning of John Marshall and Joseph Story to the mystical aphorisms of the fortune cookie."

Offline Ben_Jamin

• I'm just a man, thrown into existence by the gods
« Reply #803 on: December 17, 2018, 08:40:21 PM »

The Saviour
(Descent of the NOMACs)
1. Dystopian Overture
2. The Gift of Music
3. The Answer
4. A Better Life
5. Lord Nafaryus
7. Act of Faythe
8. Three Days
ca. 37 minutes

The Plan
(The Hovering Sojourn)
2. A Life Left Behind
3. Ravenskill
4. Chosen
5. A Tempting Offer
(Digital Discord)
6. The X Aspect
7. A New Beginning
ca. 53 minutes

The Astonishing
1. 2285 Entr'acte
2. Moment of Betrayal
3. Heaven's Cove
4. Begin Again
5. The Path that Divides
(Machine Chatter)
6. The Walking Shadow
7. My Last Farewell
8. Losing Faythe
9. Whispers on the Wind
11. Our New World
(Power Down)
12. Astonishing
ca. 51 minutes

It's the same way I'll rarely put a three hour film on, but I'll happily watch three hours' worth of something on Netflix. I'd probably still get fatigued if I played it all start to finish, but the option to "jump off" points makes it feel less daunting. I also think it'd help certain songs stand out, particularly on the second half of the first disc. BCYHM is the point where I lose energy at the moment - I don't think I'd have the same issue with it if it were the second disc's opener.  And honestly, all three of those discs are still longer than some of my favourite full albums this year.

I had toyed around quite a bit with different ways of doing the album, but I hadn't thought of this.  That REALLY could have worked.  And it would have allowed for a song to cover the biggest area that I thought was lacking:  A song or two about the war itself that helped take the stakes up a notch, including something about the NOMACS themselves to make them seem more fearsome.  There would be room in Act I the way you have it divided up, and I think it could have worked really nicely.  Musically, Three Days is a really cool way to end Act I.  But in terms of plot, putting a song right there about the people dying in war and poverty, and Nafaryus being at the center of it all would have served the story really well.

It makes sense. Even with the book.
I don't know how they can be so proud of winning with them odds. - Little Big Man
Follow my Spotify:BjamminD

Offline IDontNotDoThings

« Reply #804 on: December 17, 2018, 10:55:27 PM »
ca. 53 minutes

I think your addition may be a bit wrong there...