Author Topic: - " The Astonishing " - One Year -- er, SEVEN YEARS On.  (Read 174745 times)

Offline MarkFitDT

Re: - " The Astonishing " - One Year -- er, TWO YEARS On.
« Reply #595 on: April 15, 2018, 02:34:30 AM »
To sum it up, I think the album would be great if they removed "The Road to Revolution" and "The Answer" from the first disc and replaced them with "Moment of Betrayal" and "My Last Farewell" from the second disc. As it stands though, its an average DT album IMO.

2 of my favourite songs on Disc 1 there in "The Answer" and "Road to Revolution" lol which is why DT will never please everyone. For me, from the start of Disc 1 up to "When Your Time has Come" is 10/10. After that it varies between brilliant and good for the rest of Disc 1 and Disc 2. I'm glad they tried something different and hope they don't make "DT by numbers" for the next CD just because it got a mixed reception.

Offline TAC

• DTF.org Alumni
  • Arthritic Metal Horns
« Reply #596 on: April 15, 2018, 06:48:14 AM »
I like to compare much of TA to "The Best of Times".

Musically, The Best of Times is mind-blowing. For instance, the ending is one of DT's most epic (for lack of a better term) moments. JP absolutely kills it. But the choice of lyrics in the song taint the experience for me. I mean no disrespect at all toward MP. He wrote from his heart, and what he penned is actually really beautiful (RIP to his father). But in the context of a song, the lyrics just aren't for me. I guess I'm not a huge fan of "literal" lyrics, even when they are called for.

This is how I feel about a lot of the material in TA. One example - Act Of Faythe is a nice song, and then..."MY MUSSSSICCC PLAAYYEEER". I know it fits the context, but....ugh. That same kind of cringey material plagues this album, whether it's in the form of lyrics, the infamous Disney-esque musical style, over-dramatic crescendos in way too many songs, etc. And the whole thing is magnified by its 2+ hour run time, seeming very indulgent.

All that said though, I actually enjoy a good piece of the album. There are 10 songs in particular that I really love.

Dystopian Overture: A top 3 DT instrumental of all time for me. I feel like it's not very well-received, but it's incredible.
A Better Life: Awesome song! So many different parts, and I like them all.
Lord Nafaryus: I like "in character" James, and he does a good job here.
Three Days: Similar to Lord Nafaryus, it has some harder parts that I really like, and a "broadway musical" vibe.
Ravenskill: One of my favorites on the album. Love when the main riff hits.
Chosen: I know I mentioned Disney as a negative, but this song is a guilty pleasure. Sounds like it would be in "Frozen". Best ballad on the album though.
The X Aspect: Awesome melodies in this. Reminds me of a classical piece.
Moment Of Betrayal: I like this song because it feels like a break from the album. Sounds like it could be a single on any of the Mangini-era albums.
The Walking Shadow: Some really cool heavy parts
My Last Farewell: My favorite song on the second disc. Lots of great different parts

To sum it up, I think the album would be great if they removed "The Road to Revolution" and "The Answer" from the first disc and replaced them with "Moment of Betrayal" and "My Last Farewell" from the second disc. As it stands though, its an average DT album IMO.

I don't agree with every song choice, but your overall points in this post are really well taken.

But I rate the album higher than you overall, and The Best Of Times, I consider one of DT's best songs.
would have thought the same thing but seeing the OP was TAC i immediately thought Maiden or DT related
Winger Theater Forums........or WTF.  ;D
TAC got a higher score than me in the electronic round? Honestly, can I just drop out now? :lol

Offline DTA

« Reply #597 on: April 15, 2018, 07:56:08 AM »
I still think this album is a masterpiece and have never thought otherwise. A band doing anything so out-of-character and risky this late into their career is only a positive IMO. For me the only misstep are the goofy lyrics, but lyrics have honestly never been a crucial aspect of music for me. I like great lyrics, but poor lyrics just don't hinder my enjoyment of the end product (though I may be embarrassed to play it with other people around if they're especially cringeworthy).

I hope the next album isn't such a drastic reaction to this one in that they feel hesitant to go out of their comfort zone again.

Offline Ben_Jamin

• I'm just a man, thrown into existence by the gods
« Reply #598 on: April 16, 2018, 03:48:39 PM »
The concept is amazing. Coupled with the book, makes it way more awesome.
I don't know how they can be so proud of winning with them odds. - Little Big Man
Follow my Spotify:BjamminD

Offline ytserush

• Like clockwork...
« Reply #599 on: April 16, 2018, 06:29:59 PM »
I still think this album is a masterpiece and have never thought otherwise. A band doing anything so out-of-character and risky this late into their career is only a positive IMO. For me the only misstep are the goofy lyrics, but lyrics have honestly never been a crucial aspect of music for me. I like great lyrics, but poor lyrics just don't hinder my enjoyment of the end product (though I may be embarrassed to play it with other people around if they're especially cringeworthy).

I hope the next album isn't such a drastic reaction to this one in that they feel hesitant to go out of their comfort zone again.

I hope so too.  While the lyrics aren't a complete deal breaker for me (they're pretty close though), they kept me from fulling immersing myself in the whole concept. 

I just have the CD and went to a few shows.  If the lyrics were anywhere approaching the music, I'd have went the whole nine yards with the book, the super-duper deluxe edition the game and whatever else they wanted to do with it. Probably would have gone to another show or two also.

I really hope they try something like this again but I'll settle for an album that continues to push the Dream Theater envelope whatever that turns out to be.

Offline Lethean

« Reply #600 on: April 16, 2018, 10:42:21 PM »
The concept is amazing. Coupled with the book, makes it way more awesome.

Agreed.  At first I confess to not liking the lyrics or concept, but then I related it to what music has meant to me, and that kind of unlocked it and I was able to embrace it.

The book makes the concept that much better.

Offline Fritzinger

« Reply #601 on: April 17, 2018, 08:40:27 AM »
Are there any updates if there will be a paperback version of the book or so? I would love to read it but I won't pay 75 bucks (plus 1000 euro shipping to Germany) for it.
any rock can be made to roll

Offline goo-goo

« Reply #602 on: April 17, 2018, 09:30:08 AM »
Are there any updates if there will be a paperback version of the book or so? I would love to read it but I won't pay 75 bucks (plus 1000 euro shipping to Germany) for it.

I asked Peter about a Kindle format (didn't ask about paperback) but he did tell me the band was working on it. I believe they will be waiting until the deluxe copies are close to selling out in order to release a cheaper format (maximizing the deluxe book profit).

Offline Fritzinger

« Reply #603 on: April 18, 2018, 02:11:15 AM »
I thought the deluxe editions were long sold out
any rock can be made to roll

Offline goo-goo

« Reply #604 on: April 18, 2018, 07:34:40 AM »
I thought the deluxe editions were long sold out

Ok. It is sold out. So hopefully the paperback and kindle editions are made available soon

Offline Herrick

• Hello Mangs
« Reply #605 on: April 21, 2018, 12:52:44 PM »
Herrick listened to the whole album the other day and I liked it a little more than last time. When I first bought the album, I was annoyed with all the slow songs but I can appreciate them a little more now. Plus I really like that one theme found throughout the album...not sure what it's called...it's in the Dystopian Overture I'm sure. And there's another theme I like that pops up here and there.

I was doing laundry and reading so I wasn't focusing on the lyrics. I'm still missing out on the story. A couple things I noticed on this latest re-listen which may be my 4th or 5th re-listen since the album came out.

1) The drums still had that weird "thunk" sound like they did on the self-titled album. Does Mangini really like that sound?
2) Whenever I found myself inadvertently paying attention to the lyrics, they seemed very easy to hear which is unusual for me. Anyone know if that was a conscious production thing?
3) The signature Dream Theater Wank (which I love for the most part) felt out of place whenever it showed up on The Astonishing. There weren't a lot of whole lot of those moments and they didn't last as long as they usually do but still...
DISPLAY thy Breasts, My Julia!

Offline Anxiety35

« Reply #606 on: April 21, 2018, 05:43:36 PM »
1) The drums still had that weird "thunk" sound like they did on the self-titled album. Does Mangini really like that sound?

I'm not sure if he does or not but JP has the final say on stuff like that, maybe JR to a degree. Richard Chyki probably had something to do with it since he worked with them on both DT12 and The Astonishing. Just my speculation.

The "thunk" isn't as pronounced like it is on the self titled album. I think the "thunk" and the triggered like sound helps to cut through the music, although you lose the natural sound of the drums as a result.

Offline gzarruk

« Reply #607 on: April 21, 2018, 08:37:31 PM »

I'm not sure if he does or not but JP has the final say on stuff like that, maybe JR to a degree. Richard Chyki probably had something to do with it since he worked with them on both DT12 and The Astonishing. Just my speculation.

The "thunk" isn't as pronounced like it is on the self titled album. I think the "thunk" and the triggered like sound helps to cut through the music, although you lose the natural sound of the drums as a result.

The sound on DT12 and TA is Chycki doing 100% what Petrucci asks for, since he's the producer. Listen to the Into The Great Divide album (with Mangini on drums and Chycki producing and mixing) and the sound is completely different.
It sounds like, "ruk, ruk, ruk, ruk, ruk." Instead of the more pleasing kick drum sound of, "gzarruk, gzarruk, gzarruk, gzarruk."

Offline RodrigoAltaf

« Reply #608 on: April 22, 2018, 06:30:09 AM »
Into the Great Divide was a perfect showcase for Mangini. I really wish that DT takes a hint and that his drums on the next album have a sound that's closer to that than to DT12.

Offline Herrick

• Hello Mangs
« Reply #609 on: April 22, 2018, 01:41:46 PM »

The sound on DT12 and TA is Chycki doing 100% what Petrucci asks for, since he's the producer. Listen to the Into The Great Divide album (with Mangini on drums and Chycki producing and mixing) and the sound is completely different.

That's too bad Mangini doesn't even get a say on how his drums sound. I'll check out Into The Great Divide.
DISPLAY thy Breasts, My Julia!

Offline DragonAttack

• DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #610 on: April 23, 2018, 07:52:38 PM »
After listening to the JC Superstar studio LP on Good Friday (a tradition), seeing the NBC broadcast on Easter, and then the movie on Monday.......'any' music is kind of hard to get back into.  Well, we listened to my one CD edit of TA on that Tuesday......and it was the perfect blend of music.

We now have a new tradition ready for next Easter + one day.  For some reason, which I can't explain, it was more enjoyable than any other time we've listened to it.
...going along with Dragon Attack's Queen thread has been like taking a free class in Queen knowledge. Where else are you gonna find info like that?!

Offline IDontNotDoThings

« Reply #611 on: April 23, 2018, 09:40:48 PM »
did someone say "one CD edit"?  :hat

1. Dystopian Overture
2. The Gift Of Music
3. A Better Life
4. A Savior In The Square
5. When Your Time Has Come
6. Three Days
7. A Life Left Behind
8. Ravenskill
9. A New Beginning
10. A Tempting Offer
11. The X Aspect
12. Moment Of Betrayal
13. The Path That Divides
14. The Walking Shadow
15. My Last Farewell
16. Hymn Of A Thousand Voices
17. Our New World
ドリームシアターはあまり好きではありませんが、ペンと紙を持っていたので、なんてこった。

Offline devieira73

• Boldly go where no brazilian has gone before...
« Reply #612 on: April 24, 2018, 08:48:31 AM »

1. Dystopian Overture
2. The Gift Of Music
3. A Better Life
6. Three Days
7. A Life Left Behind
8. Ravenskill
9. A New Beginning
10. A Tempting Offer
11. The X Aspect
12. Moment Of Betrayal
14. The Walking Shadow
15. My Last Farewell
17. Our New World

Wow, almost mine 80 minute edition, cool! The only difference is that I included the intro of A Life Left Behind :tup
"one small step for a man, one giant leap for mankind." (RIP Neil Armstrong)

Offline goo-goo

« Reply #613 on: April 24, 2018, 08:57:30 AM »
My 82 min edition:

-Dystopian Overture
-Gift of Music
-A Better Life
-A Savior in the Square
-When Your Time Has Come
-Three Days
-Ravenskill
-A Tempting Offer
-A New Beginning
-Road to Revolution
-2285 Entr'acte
-Moment of Betrayal
-Heaven's Cove
-Path That Divides
-Walking Shadow
-My Last Farewell
-Our New World
-Astonishing

Offline RodrigoAltaf

« Reply #614 on: April 24, 2018, 09:24:10 AM »
After 4 listens I made my 0 minute edition, and it flows quite well!!!

Offline Lethean

« Reply #615 on: April 24, 2018, 09:56:49 AM »
I couldn't make just a one CD edition. Gotta have the whole thing. :) If I don't have time to listen to it all, I just pick up where I left off.

Offline devieira73

« Reply #616 on: April 24, 2018, 09:59:13 AM »
 :D :D well, flow is one the biggest problems of the album in its original format. Rodrigo, you should try my edited version (IDontNotDoThings edition + A Life Left Behind Intro), maybe there’s still salvation for you!  :biggrin:
Seriously that edited version to me is one of the finest DT albums... great melodies, flow and diversity!
« Last Edit: April 24, 2018, 10:50:53 AM by devieira73 »

Offline Ben_Jamin

« Reply #617 on: April 24, 2018, 10:19:14 AM »
I couldn't make just a one CD edition. Gotta have the whole thing. :) If I don't have time to listen to it all, I just pick up where I left off.

Same here. Actually I end up in the mood for one song say The X Aspect, then I wind up listening to the rest of the disc. I can actually listen to all of these songs on their own.

I don't know how they can be so proud of winning with them odds. - Little Big Man

Offline MarkFitDT

« Reply #618 on: April 24, 2018, 10:19:31 AM »

That sounds like my Sons of Apollo CD  ;)

Offline gzarruk

« Reply #619 on: April 24, 2018, 10:44:21 AM »

Beat me to it! :lol
It sounds like, "ruk, ruk, ruk, ruk, ruk." Instead of the more pleasing kick drum sound of, "gzarruk, gzarruk, gzarruk, gzarruk."

Offline Lethean

« Reply #620 on: April 24, 2018, 11:00:41 AM »

Same here. Actually I end up in the mood for one song say The X Aspect, then I wind up listening to the rest of the disc. I can actually listen to all of these songs on their own.

Sometimes I do the exact same thing. :)  And I can listen to them on their own as well.

Offline Ben_Jamin

« Reply #621 on: April 24, 2018, 11:32:38 AM »

Sometimes I do the exact same thing. :)  And I can listen to them on their own as well.

Every song, besides the NOMAC tracks, has something i really like, wheter it be the atmosphere, a riff, melody, rhythm. My favorite at the moment is Road to Revolution, love how it starts bombastic, gets soft, and ends on an uplifting edge with all the characters.

Offline IDontNotDoThings

« Reply #622 on: April 24, 2018, 07:41:14 PM »

1. Dystopian Overture
2. The Gift Of Music
3. A Better Life
6. Three Days
7. A Life Left Behind
8. Ravenskill
9. A New Beginning
10. A Tempting Offer
11. The X Aspect
12. Moment Of Betrayal
14. The Walking Shadow
15. My Last Farewell
17. Our New World

Wow, almost mine 80 minute edition, cool! The only difference is that I included the intro of A Life Left Behind :tup

uh, so did I?  :huh:
ドリームシアターはあまり好きではありませんが、ペンと紙を持っていたので、なんてこった。

Offline Lethean

« Reply #623 on: April 24, 2018, 09:01:50 PM »

Every song, besides the NOMAC tracks, has something i really like, wheter it be the atmosphere, a riff, melody, rhythm. My favorite at the moment is Road to Revolution, love how it starts bombastic, gets soft, and ends on an uplifting edge with all the characters.

Yeah - that particular track is one of those that took a little time to grow on me.  I didn't dislike it at first, but I thought of it as more "expendable" so to speak.  But at some point I started to appreciate it as it's own song and really got into it. 

Offline Ben_Jamin

« Reply #624 on: April 24, 2018, 09:23:01 PM »

Yeah - that particular track is one of those that took a little time to grow on me.  I didn't dislike it at first, but I thought of it as more "expendable" so to speak.  But at some point I started to appreciate it as it's own song and really got into it.

I see them as not really songs, but scenes of a story I feel like listening to. Its like the famous scene/song from The Phantom Of The Opera.

Offline RodrigoAltaf

« Reply #625 on: April 24, 2018, 09:44:37 PM »

Beat me to it! :lol

You don't have to choose one or the other...and one can even not like either one!

Offline Lethean

« Reply #626 on: April 24, 2018, 10:59:19 PM »

I see them as not really songs, but scenes of a story I feel like listening to. Its like the famous scene/song from The Phantom Of The Opera.

I think that's the best way to look at them as well, especially for those who are maybe frustrated with the structure/flow of each track.  And I do most of my listening in order.  But there are times when I pick out specific tracks and when I do, I don't feel like they can't stand alone.  That could be because I'm so familiar with the album, but whatever the case it works for me.

Offline jammindude

« Reply #627 on: April 24, 2018, 11:03:59 PM »

I totally get a Les Mis vibe from the whole thing. 

I went from loving it, to really really meh, to liking it more than meh.   

Believe it or not, I think my main problem with it is that it really feels like this story and this project WANTED to be even bigger, but as the “super ambitious project” starts getting this life of its own, you have two choices.   Cut all the fat and make it extremely concise and focused (which would inevitably draw comparisons to SFAM) or go all in and make it a full blown play.    Either one probably would have been slightly better than what we got.   Some of these songs and ideas seem unfinished somehow.   And so I think they should have either been finished, or been cut.    Make it a full blown 3 hours, or just one.   But what we got was halfway between, and I think it shows.   

It was a 3 hour idea that got “chickened out” on IMO. 

I still think it’s pretty good.  And if nothing else, it proves that Dream Theater is not spent as a creative force.   As long as John and the boys are willing to challenge themselves, it’s OK that it doesn’t go all the way sometimes.
"Better the pride that resides in a citizen of the world.
Than the pride that divides when a colorful rag is unfurled." - Neil Peart

The Jammin Dude Show - https://www.youtube.com/user/jammindude

Offline Ben_Jamin

« Reply #628 on: April 24, 2018, 11:08:31 PM »
Well in the novel, JP says he did want it to be a Broadway play as well. He had so many ideas for this Concept. Glad he got to do the book as well. The interviews are good too.

Offline devieira73

« Reply #629 on: April 25, 2018, 08:37:00 AM »

1. Dystopian Overture
2. The Gift Of Music
3. A Better Life
6. Three Days
7. A Life Left Behind
8. Ravenskill
9. A New Beginning
10. A Tempting Offer
11. The X Aspect
12. Moment Of Betrayal
14. The Walking Shadow
15. My Last Farewell
17. Our New World

uh, so did I?  :huh:
My mistake! In fact the difference between our editions is that I included Lord Nafaryus and only the intro of a ALLB. How could you cut Lord Nafaryus?! :o ;)