Author Topic: - " The Astonishing " - One Year -- er, SEVEN YEARS On.  (Read 174408 times)

Online DoctorAction

• Everyday Glory
Re: - " The Astonishing " - One Year On.
« Reply #560 on: January 28, 2018, 12:38:05 PM »

I still really hope they can strip back the production, focus on the playing and step FORWARD in time rather than so obviously back next time.

The way I see it, the playing is always a focus anyway, and if you mean make it the main focus, I definitely disagree.  Making the playing the main focus will result in major wankery.  At this stage, Dream Theater has nothing left to prove when it comes to their playing abilities, so songwriting should always be the main focus, like it was on The Astonishing.

This. Something that annoys me is that some people often confuse good songwriting with lots of wankery (SOA diehard fans, I’m looking at you). DT have focused more on songwriting rather than wankery and that’s always better imo.

I actually agree with a lot of that. I put it really badly. Apologies. I really meant focus on what they create TOGETHER as a band, five great artists in a room together making music. I want to hear the chemistry, great playing, lyrics, great vocals, artistry. With great production. I want to hear the ambient studio noise, some chatter. I want to feel the magic and spark of combined creativity.

EDIT: I don't agree that the songwriting is good on TA, however. The concept and lyrical execution is hackneyed to the max. It's so familiar and so long, it doesn't come close to good songwriting for me.
« Last Edit: January 28, 2018, 12:44:29 PM by DoctorAction »
The only true wisdom is in knowing you know nothing.

Offline RoeDent

• 2006 Time Magazine Person of the Year
« Reply #561 on: January 29, 2018, 03:02:05 AM »
Happy 2nd Anniversary to The Astonishing! Shame the OP isn't around anymore to change the title of this thread to "Two Years On". Oh well.

I'm planning on listening to both this and Six Degrees of Inner Turbulence over the course of today. It's kinda funny that DT's two longest albums both came out on the same day, albeit 14 years apart.

Online Architeuthis

« Reply #562 on: January 29, 2018, 10:28:50 AM »
Uhh-hu-hu, shouldn't this thread now be called "The Astonishing" TWO Years on?
I just had to re-iterate what RoeDent said..  :biggrin:
You can do a lot in a lifetime if you don't burn out too fast, you can make the most of the distance, first you need endurance first you've got to last....... NP

Offline Mladen

« Reply #563 on: January 29, 2018, 11:03:22 AM »
...and it's still great.

Online Architeuthis

« Reply #564 on: January 29, 2018, 11:29:40 AM »
Agreed!
You can do a lot in a lifetime if you don't burn out too fast, you can make the most of the distance, first you need endurance first you've got to last....... NP

Offline RoeDent

• 2006 Time Magazine Person of the Year
« Reply #565 on: January 29, 2018, 11:38:33 AM »
...and it's still great.

100% this. I listened to it again this afternoon and I can confirm this.

Offline legenden1

« Reply #566 on: January 31, 2018, 11:54:59 AM »
Still one of my favourite albums of all time and all artists

Offline NoseofNicko

Re: - " The Astonishing " - One Year -- er, TWO YEARS On.
« Reply #567 on: January 31, 2018, 07:31:33 PM »
The thing that makes no sense about The Astonishing: Why does Nafaryus have an accent for 2 lines but never again?

Offline Pragmaticcircus

• Classical Composer, Avant prog guitarist , musical artist, music fan, producer and much more....
  • The man wants his coffee ☕
Re: - " The Astonishing " - TEN YEARS ON :)
« Reply #568 on: January 31, 2018, 09:40:32 PM »
Eh, I don't know guys  ;D
"The thing that kills me is all these bands that use huge words in their lyrics, 'I'm swimming in a vortex of apathy.' I'm like, 'What?' I don't walk up to a friend and go 'That's a stylin' looking vortex of apathy you've got there pal. I was swimming up a river of deceit myself."
- Devin Townsend
"poop" - Ziltoid
Prog for life, all hail metal, I'm very Avant Garde,  God give me back my razor, and all that shit!

Offline IDontNotDoThings

« Reply #569 on: January 31, 2018, 09:55:20 PM »
Wait, I thought Kotow was banned. How did he change the thread title?
ドリームシアターはあまり好きではありませんが、ペンと紙を持っていたので、なんてこった。

Offline SystematicThought

• DTF.org Member
  • Carpe Diem-2020
« Reply #570 on: January 31, 2018, 10:13:18 PM »
Pragmaticcircus changed the thread title in his post so it pops up like that for the new post....

....I think
God have mercy on a man
Who doubts what he's sure of.
-Bruce Springsteen

Offline IDontNotDoThings

« Reply #571 on: January 31, 2018, 11:08:25 PM »
Pragmaticcircus changed the thread title in his post so it pops up like that for the new post....

....I think

I know that, I meant the "two years on" you see in our posts  :lol

Offline krands85

« Reply #572 on: February 01, 2018, 04:14:26 AM »

....I think

« Last Edit: 31-01-2018, 20:39:25 by bosk1 »
Whoaaaahh, ohhh, ohhhhh. Whoaaaahh, ohhhhh, ohhhhhh. Waaah, ahhh, haaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaowwwwww

Offline IDontNotDoThings

« Reply #573 on: February 01, 2018, 04:35:02 AM »

....I think

« Last Edit: 31-01-2018, 20:39:25 by bosk1 »

:lolpalm: I can't read

Offline Ninjabait

• XBOX is a God to Me
  • PR permission
« Reply #574 on: February 03, 2018, 09:28:22 PM »
Ordered my copies of The Keyboard Excerpts and Guitar TAB Excerpts for The Astonishing off Amazon. They should be here in about a week or two, and I honestly can't wait to delve into these books.

Fingers crossed they release a full orchestral score for the entire album at some point. I would love to just messily devour this thing.

Offline Renzo

• Daryus
« Reply #575 on: February 04, 2018, 03:08:58 AM »
Ordered my copies of The Keyboard Excerpts and Guitar TAB Excerpts for The Astonishing off Amazon. They should be here in about a week or two, and I honestly can't wait to delve into these books.

Fingers crossed they release a full orchestral score for the entire album at some point. I would love to just messily devour this thing.

Already got the keyboard parts, if they do release the orchestral version that would indeed be awesome.
 :metal

Offline Ben_Jamin

• I'm just a man, thrown into existence by the gods
« Reply #576 on: February 07, 2018, 03:29:16 PM »
Has anyone seen the 3 artworks of The Astonishing on the bands Facebook yet?

Those should've been the album artwork.
I don't know how they can be so proud of winning with them odds. - Little Big Man
Follow my Spotify:BjamminD

Offline IDontNotDoThings

« Reply #577 on: February 07, 2018, 03:30:55 PM »
Has anyone seen the 3 artworks of The Astonishing on the bands Facebook yet?

Those should've been the album artwork.

Link?

Offline Ben_Jamin

• I'm just a man, thrown into existence by the gods
I don't know how they can be so proud of winning with them odds. - Little Big Man
Follow my Spotify:BjamminD

Offline Evai

« Reply #579 on: February 07, 2018, 04:31:12 PM »
For some reason I didn't picture guns existing in the TA universe
Jordan took Moore's boring, pedestrian parts and elevated them considerably to take them from barely palatable to stellar.

Offline ytserush

• Like clockwork...
« Reply #580 on: February 07, 2018, 06:24:42 PM »
Do we know who wrote this?

Offline gzarruk

« Reply #581 on: February 07, 2018, 07:26:51 PM »
These artworks are great, but I really like the album cover, I think it’s perfect as it is.
It sounds like, "ruk, ruk, ruk, ruk, ruk." Instead of the more pleasing kick drum sound of, "gzarruk, gzarruk, gzarruk, gzarruk."

Offline IDontNotDoThings

« Reply #582 on: February 07, 2018, 09:53:23 PM »
I really love the attention to detail on the official album cover. If you look really close, you can actually see the townspeople walking around in the city & all the buildings are actually different. I know it's not much, but I feel like that much attention to detail wouldn't have been made if someone like Hugh Syme was designing the artwork.

Offline cramx3

• Chillest of the chill
  • DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #583 on: February 08, 2018, 07:59:00 AM »
For some reason I didn't picture guns existing in the TA universe

Yea same

Offline rumborak

• DT.net Veteran
« Reply #584 on: February 08, 2018, 02:36:17 PM »
"I liked when Myung looked like a women's figure skating champion."

Offline gzarruk

It sounds like, "ruk, ruk, ruk, ruk, ruk." Instead of the more pleasing kick drum sound of, "gzarruk, gzarruk, gzarruk, gzarruk."

Offline Bertielee

• RIP, Dad (1935-2017)
« Reply #587 on: February 10, 2018, 02:40:15 AM »
Two years on and it's still great for me. First DT album in a long time that has lasted so long.

B.Lee
"Life is divided into two sets of people : people who have lost and people who haven't yet." George Michael

Offline JRuless

« Reply #588 on: February 10, 2018, 04:01:50 PM »
Yeah, for me too. Everytime I listen to it, I'm blown away by the art this album delivers. Although I can imagine how it distracs some fans, for me it is a masterpiece.

Offline SwedishGoose

• DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #589 on: February 10, 2018, 04:16:11 PM »
Yeah, for me too. Everytime I listen to it, I'm blown away by the art this album delivers. Although I can imagine how it distracs some fans, for me it is a masterpiece.

Totally agree...

Offline gzarruk

« Reply #590 on: February 10, 2018, 04:42:34 PM »

Totally agree...

I feel the same way. So glad they decided to make this album, it’s a aston... amazing :biggrin:

Offline KevShmev

• EZBoard Elder
« Reply #591 on: February 18, 2018, 09:49:47 AM »

It's too long for me to call it a masterpiece, but I still love all of Disc 1 and the majority of Disc 2.  So many good song on this one. :tup :tup

Offline Anguyen92

« Reply #592 on: February 18, 2018, 09:51:58 AM »
Two years, after.  I still like it.  A lot of good songs on it.  Not the perfect album, but at the end of the day, I feel it was better for DT to create an album like The Astonishing where people can enjoy it, than for them not to create it and deprive people's enjoyment of the possibilities.

Offline adamack

« Reply #593 on: April 14, 2018, 05:05:34 PM »
I like to compare much of TA to "The Best of Times".

Musically, The Best of Times is mind-blowing. For instance, the ending is one of DT's most epic (for lack of a better term) moments. JP absolutely kills it. But the choice of lyrics in the song taint the experience for me. I mean no disrespect at all toward MP. He wrote from his heart, and what he penned is actually really beautiful (RIP to his father). But in the context of a song, the lyrics just aren't for me. I guess I'm not a huge fan of "literal" lyrics, even when they are called for.

This is how I feel about a lot of the material in TA. One example - Act Of Faythe is a nice song, and then..."MY MUSSSSICCC PLAAYYEEER". I know it fits the context, but....ugh. That same kind of cringey material plagues this album, whether it's in the form of lyrics, the infamous Disney-esque musical style, over-dramatic crescendos in way too many songs, etc. And the whole thing is magnified by its 2+ hour run time, seeming very indulgent.

All that said though, I actually enjoy a good piece of the album. There are 10 songs in particular that I really love.

Dystopian Overture: A top 3 DT instrumental of all time for me. I feel like it's not very well-received, but it's incredible.
A Better Life: Awesome song! So many different parts, and I like them all.
Lord Nafaryus: I like "in character" James, and he does a good job here.
Three Days: Similar to Lord Nafaryus, it has some harder parts that I really like, and a "broadway musical" vibe.
Ravenskill: One of my favorites on the album. Love when the main riff hits.
Chosen: I know I mentioned Disney as a negative, but this song is a guilty pleasure. Sounds like it would be in "Frozen". Best ballad on the album though.
The X Aspect: Awesome melodies in this. Reminds me of a classical piece.
Moment Of Betrayal: I like this song because it feels like a break from the album. Sounds like it could be a single on any of the Mangini-era albums.
The Walking Shadow: Some really cool heavy parts
My Last Farewell: My favorite song on the second disc. Lots of great different parts

To sum it up, I think the album would be great if they removed "The Road to Revolution" and "The Answer" from the first disc and replaced them with "Moment of Betrayal" and "My Last Farewell" from the second disc. As it stands though, its an average DT album IMO.

Online DoctorAction

• Everyday Glory
« Reply #594 on: April 15, 2018, 01:06:14 AM »
Still an astonishing mis-step afaic.
The only true wisdom is in knowing you know nothing.