Dream Theater > Dream Theater

- " The Astonishing " - One Year -- er, SEVEN YEARS On.

(1/349) > >>

Kotowboy:
It's almost a year ( 29/01 ) since The Astonishing was released.

• How did you feel about it a year go ?

• How do you fell about it now ?

I liked it a lot and still play it every once in a while. I'm not tired of it yet because I haven't over played it.

RoeDent:
I remember the first listen like it was yesterday. It was very wet outside. I was ill with a cold I'd managed to catch the day before. The album was then, and remains now, a complete and total masterpiece. A touching story, told with the most beautiful music DT have ever written. No superlatives are adequate enough to describe it. I honestly fail to understand how people have reacted so poorly to it. It completely and utterly baffles me, and probably always will. Have you even LISTENED to this music? DT's greatest gift is just writing damn good tunes that are memorable and that tug at the heartstrings and bring the goosebumps, and The Astonishing is just so chock full of them it hurts.

It remains a top-3 DT album for me. The only thing that stops it from ranking higher is the length. It requires some time to listen to it, but in my view, there are few better ways to spend 2-and-a-bit hours. A movie for the ears.

lucasembarbosa:
@RoeDent: Agreed, completely. But I'm still reluctant to rank it higher, the album must pass through a longer "time test". Surely it's on my top 5 DT albums...

Kwyjibo:
At first I didn't know what to make of it, because it was different from what they've done before and it was such a long record, that I didn't often find the time to listen to from start to finish.

Now I see it as another great DT record, I'm really liking it, although I'm not overly fond of the story. But the same is true for Scenes and not only for DT. Generally I really like concept albums but more often than not I'm not really connecting to the stories.

In the grand scheme of things The Astonishing would rank as a middle tier DT record for, but only because they have so much really great records.

MirrorMask:
Bought it on release date, heard it a day later, first impression was overall positive but I knew I had to listen to it many more times. I quickly fell in love with it and I consider it one of their best album and a grandiose and daring effort, whose little lows are eclipsed by far by the many highs.

It didn't have a multi-year staying power, by now I rarely, if at all, listen to it, but I'm completely happy with ith and, having enough time, I will never consider a chore going through it.

Navigation

[0] Message Index

[#] Next page

Go to full version