Author Topic: Live versions of the WDADU songs  (Read 582 times)

Offline Zydar

• Creep With Tonality
  • DTF.org Alumni
Live versions of the WDADU songs
« on: January 30, 2024, 02:57:50 AM »
Dream Theater has released quite a lot of live albums now, and I wonder what are the best official live versions of each of the songs from WDADU?

For instance, the Score version of Afterlife, and the Marquee '93 version of The Killing Hand are much better than the studio versions.

If you wanted to make a live compilation of the WDADU songs, which live versions would you go for? The Reunite version of WDADU with Derek and Charlie is pretty uneven, but that's the only live version of Help To Set The Sun we have (I think).
Zydar is my new hero.  I just laughed so hard I nearly shat.

Offline MirrorMask

Re: Live versions of the WDADU songs
« Reply #1 on: January 30, 2024, 03:02:08 AM »
You already picked the no brainers - Afterlife from Score and The Killing Hand from Live at the Marquee.

That '93 album also should give the ultimate version of A Fortune in Lies.

For the rest, I'm blanking.
I use my sig to pimp some bands from Italy! Check out Elvenking (Power / Folk metal), Folkstone (Rock / Medieval metal), Arcana Opera (Gothic/Noir/Heavy metal) and the beautiful voice of Elisa!

Offline Zydar

• Creep With Tonality
  • DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #2 on: January 30, 2024, 03:04:12 AM »
Maybe the Budokan version of Only A Matter Of Time.
Zydar is my new hero.  I just laughed so hard I nearly shat.

Offline Mladen

« Reply #3 on: January 30, 2024, 03:16:23 AM »
I'm actually voting for the Luna Park version of A Fortune in lies.

Songs like Light fuse and get away are the tricky ones, as there some of the tracks are only available on bootlegs. With the exception of When dream and day reunite, which is an official bootleg.

Online wolfking

• DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #4 on: January 30, 2024, 03:24:42 AM »
You already picked the no brainers - Afterlife from Score and The Killing Hand from Live at the Marquee.

That '93 album also should give the ultimate version of A Fortune in Lies.

For the rest, I'm blanking.

All of this.
Everyone else, except Wolfking is wrong.

Offline Setlist Scotty

« Reply #5 on: January 30, 2024, 05:52:03 AM »
Dunno about comparing the official live versions, but if I was compiling a live version of WDaDU from any source, I'd probably go with:

AFiL - Live in Tokyo video
SS - live from summer 1993 (probably the widely circulating Milwaukee show since I was at it)
YJ - the Old Bridge official bootleg from 1996 (I like Derek's take on the song)
TKH - live from World Tourbulence (I prefer the Another Hand intro to the original but like the extended version compared to LatM)
LFaGA - not many options to pick for this one, so WDaDR
AL - my least favorite WDaDU so I don't have much of an opinion, but probably Score
TOWHtStS - played throughout the ToT, but WDaDR is the best sounding version, so that one
OaMoT - the version on LaB is great, but I'm a sucker for the way they did it on the final leg of their tour in 1993, where they tacked the instrumental half of March of the Tyrant on to the end, so I'd go with a performance from then
As a basic rule, if you hate it, you must solely blame Portnoy. If it's good, then you must downplay MP's contribution to the band as not being important anyway, or claim he's just lying. It's the DTF way.

Offline hefdaddy42

• Et in Arcadia Ego
  • Global Moderator
  • Postwhore Emeritus
« Reply #6 on: January 30, 2024, 07:02:27 AM »
Maybe the Budokan version of Only A Matter Of Time.
This for sure
Hef is right on all things. Except for when I disagree with him. In which case he's probably still right.

Offline gzarruk

« Reply #7 on: January 30, 2024, 08:14:49 AM »
I'd love to get official live versions of some of those Scotty is mentioning, but I guess the LNFA have become both lost AND forgotten (for) now :lol
It sounds like, "ruk, ruk, ruk, ruk, ruk." Instead of the more pleasing kick drum sound of, "gzarruk, gzarruk, gzarruk, gzarruk."

Offline Madman Shepherd

« Reply #8 on: January 30, 2024, 09:10:29 AM »
I'm actually voting for the Luna Park version of A Fortune in lies.

I agree. I'm pretty sure Charlie even said it was the best version, adding "without me on vocals of course," with a wink.

Offline ZirconBlue

• DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #9 on: January 30, 2024, 09:53:51 AM »
My favorite version of The Killing Hand is from the Old Bridge '96 show.

Offline DragonAttack

• DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #10 on: January 30, 2024, 11:11:12 AM »
Personal preference of 'YtseJam' off the 'Happy Holidays' boot from Austin, Texas in 2011.  https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=_NGc0iGLn9c 

Disappointed that Luna Park had Mangini's drum solo, but not this song.  The mixes are similar to my ears, so it was a nice addition for my Luna Park version. 
...going along with Dragon Attack's Queen thread has been like taking a free class in Queen knowledge. Where else are you gonna find info like that?!

Offline jammindude

« Reply #11 on: January 30, 2024, 11:34:14 AM »
I just wanna put in another shameless plug for the live in Tokyo video version of Ytse Jam.

To me, it’s just criminal that possibly the greatest drum solo that Mike ever recorded and one of the greatest drum solos I’ve ever heard in my entire life has never seen an official CD release.
"Better the pride that resides in a citizen of the world.
Than the pride that divides when a colorful rag is unfurled." - Neil Peart

The Jammin Dude Show - https://www.youtube.com/user/jammindude

Offline JiM-Xtreme

« Reply #12 on: January 30, 2024, 02:39:05 PM »

OaMoT - the version on LaB is great, but I'm a sucker for the way they did it on the final leg of their tour in 1993, where they tacked the instrumental half of March of the Tyrant on to the end, so I'd go with a performance from then

This sounds so cool, I never knew they did that!! Going to have to seek out a performance of this  :) any callback to any of the Majesty era tunes will always get a massive  :tup from me!

Offline Setlist Scotty

« Reply #13 on: January 30, 2024, 08:41:27 PM »

This sounds so cool, I never knew they did that!! Going to have to seek out a performance of this  :) any callback to any of the Majesty era tunes will always get a massive  :tup from me!
Here ya go brutha!
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=M8IMHZwJYKg
As a basic rule, if you hate it, you must solely blame Portnoy. If it's good, then you must downplay MP's contribution to the band as not being important anyway, or claim he's just lying. It's the DTF way.

Offline RaiseTheKnife

« Reply #14 on: January 30, 2024, 10:37:11 PM »
Performance-wise, I think Killing Hand from the 1992 Images and Tour bootleg has James' best take on that song, but overall the '93 Marquee version is an more digestible live recording. 

For my preference, I love the Live in Japan video version of A Fortune in Lies and Ytse Jam.

My shout out for Status Seeker goes to the 1993 live radio broadcast from Rocky Point Palladium in Rhode Island.