Author Topic: Stolen instrument resource?  (Read 1344 times)

Offline splent

• Moderator Emeritus
  • DTF's resident music educator/conductor
Stolen instrument resource?
« on: January 19, 2017, 05:24:42 PM »
Y wife's violin got stolen. Needless to say the last couple
Of days have been rough, calling places all over Chicagoland. Is there an online resource to report stolen instruments?
I don’t know what to put here anymore

Offline cramx3

• Chillest of the chill
  • DTF.org Alumni
Re: Stolen instrument resource?
« Reply #1 on: January 19, 2017, 05:56:21 PM »
Why not go to the police?  I don't think they will solve the mystery but at least it'll get put into a police report, maybe if you have insurance you can get it covered.

I'd check craigslist though to see if someone is selling it

Offline splent

• Moderator Emeritus
  • DTF's resident music educator/conductor
« Reply #2 on: January 19, 2017, 06:37:43 PM »
Why not go to the police?  I don't think they will solve the mystery but at least it'll get put into a police report, maybe if you have insurance you can get it covered.

I'd check craigslist though to see if someone is selling it

We've already done that, but we actually got a lead by someone at Sam Ash; however that Sam Ash is like 20 min north of where we live. I don't know how far out of their jurisdiction police are able to monitor like pawn shops.
I don’t know what to put here anymore

Offline pcs90

« Reply #3 on: January 21, 2017, 12:45:56 AM »
Well I am pretty sure most of the larger music stores like Guitar Center and Sam Ash have a period of time before the instrument can be sold where they check to make sure it's not stolen or anything. If you think that Sam Ash has it, I'd go check it out ASAP and if that's it then definitely let the store know as well as the police. Someone should be able to get it back if you have any proof at all that it was yours.