Author Topic: Democrats Skipping The Inauguration  (Read 2755 times)

Offline Tick

• Cleavage is a drug! Dracula is a junkie
  • DTF.org Member
  • We will, we will, Trump you, boom boom, clap!
Democrats Skipping The Inauguration
« on: January 19, 2017, 05:47:00 AM »
Anyone who spends any time on Facebook (especially the past year) knows how divided the American people are. It is the new normal. We will never see a unified country. To compound that you have a slew of democrats skipping the inauguration. It's like a parent who watches they're children misbehave and instead of correcting them, they join in.
This to me is "deplorable"
These elected officials need to realize it's all bigger than themselves. What kind of message does it send to a country and its citizens when you show us you are unwilling to represent us in a respectful fashion? It's sending a clear message that we are all doomed because the people who work on our behalf are unwilling to start the next 4 years with some sense of unity. We all know you hate the guy but if you show up we know you are adults willing to do the right thing for a nation instead of sending the message we are all doomed. Some things are bigger than our own ideals. These people need to realize this is just another shift down another "unprecedented" path of division.
Don't like the current situation, do the respectful thing for your nation by being part of the inauguration of the next president of the country who employs you! Then if you have a problem when the administration begins, roll up your sleeves dig in and try your best to make a difference.
We will never see unity among the American people if the people who work on our behalf set such a poor example.
« Last Edit: January 19, 2017, 11:51:42 AM by hefdaddy42 »
Yup. Tick is dead on.  She's not your type.  Move on.   Tick is Obi Wan Kenobi

Offline TAC

• DTF.org Alumni
  • Just a decent, normal metal-head fellow
Re: Democrats Skipping The Innuguation
« Reply #1 on: January 19, 2017, 05:55:26 AM »
I agree.

As of yesterday, I am no longer a registered Democrat. I am now an Independent. How the Democrats have acted in this election, especially post election, has been embarrassing.

I'm no Trump toadie to be sure. He's sketchy, let's just put it that way. I never had any intention to vote for him, only making my mind up to do so in the 24 hours leading up to voting. It was those last minute attack ads from Hillary that pushed me over the edge.

Democrats skipping the Inauguration is disgraceful. They are so afraid of losing their base. They are so afraid of Trump actually succeeding. Will he, who knows? But for the country's sake, he better.

And Obama has been invisible on this. He sold us a bill of goods on being a great unifier, and I fell for it. We couldn't be more ununified.
would have thought the same thing but seeing the OP was TAC i immediately thought Maiden or DT related
Winger Theater Forums................or WTF.  ;D

Offline Chino

• Be excellent to each other.
  • DT.net Veteran
« Reply #2 on: January 19, 2017, 05:56:28 AM »
I think the whole not showing up thing is pretty lame, and it's reminiscent of the tantrums I used to throw as a child. It's really not any better than the behavior on the GOP's side that they've been criticizing for the last eight years. It's stupid and I don't really see the point. I don't really see what it accomplishes, and to me it does more harm than good. Two weeks after the election I changed my voter registration status from democrat to independent. This kind of behavior is why, and it certainly won't be winning me back any time soon. If they are really that hell bent on making a statement, they should go down and turn their backs to him at the podium.

Offline chknptpie

• DTF.org Member
« Reply #3 on: January 19, 2017, 06:46:52 AM »
I'm perfectly fine with it. I'm also not really a fan of patriotism and tradition, so that might be why.

Offline Tick

• Cleavage is a drug! Dracula is a junkie
  • DTF.org Member
  • We will, we will, Trump you, boom boom, clap!
« Reply #4 on: January 19, 2017, 07:30:58 AM »
These officials represent every American, not just the half of the party they represent. They are employed by the American people and thus should respect all Americans by showing that unity is the only way anything will ever change for the better.  The world is watching us, and this looks bad.
Yup. Tick is dead on.  She's not your type.  Move on.   Tick is Obi Wan Kenobi

Online mikeyd23

« Reply #5 on: January 19, 2017, 07:39:34 AM »
I'm perfectly fine with it. I'm also not really a fan of patriotism and tradition, so that might be why.

Eh, I don't want to minimize your point, but if it was the other way around would you feel this way? If Clinton won and the Rs were saying she was a criminal and shouldn't be President and they weren't supporting the transition of power by not going to the inauguration, would you be cool with that? The standard is the standard and needs applied both ways regardless of political views or affiliations.

Furthermore, I think my disapproval of this move by some Dems isn't rooted in patriotism or tradition, it's rooted in the fact that all these guys and gals, once again regardless of affiliation, are in the position they are in to be public servants. To try to improve our country, to go to bat for the folks they represent, to cross political divides in the name of progress toward goals that help and enable the American people to realize the American dream. Not going to the inauguration does none of that. That's my measuring stick for this, not patriotism or tradition.

Offline Harmony

« Reply #6 on: January 19, 2017, 08:06:01 AM »
I have no sympathy for Trump who literally Tweeted this after Obama won:  "We can't let this happen. We should march on Washington and stop this travesty. Our nation is totally divided!"

You reap what you sow. 

Offline Chino

• DT.net Veteran
« Reply #7 on: January 19, 2017, 08:09:26 AM »
I have no sympathy for Trump who literally Tweeted this after Obama won:  "We can't let this happen. We should march on Washington and stop this travesty. Our nation is totally divided!"

You reap what you sow.

And he tweeted this right before he won his second term.

Offline El Barto

• DTF.org Alumni
  • Bad Craziness
« Reply #8 on: January 19, 2017, 08:10:41 AM »
I've got no problem with them declining to support the boy president, but I think their reasons are bad. I don't think the guy's done anything to warrant respect, and he's damn sure not one to show respect for those he doesn't approve of. The idea that you have to respect the office has always been a little lame to me, and now that the office is actively blasting all dissenters, regardless of their rationale, even more-so. Rather than saying he's illegitimate because of Russia, one of them should just say "he's an imbecilic man-child and I'll be taking in a movie tomorrow."

For the record, I had no problem when Grabby was refusing to say he'd concede the election if he thought it was shady. Something the people blasting the democrats here seem to have forgotten.

Lastly, while I've got no problem with it on a philosophical level, the stupidity of the democratic party is pretty astonishing. They're buying right into the game that cost them the election in the first place and doubling down.
Argument, the presentation of reasonable views, never makes headway against conviction, and conviction takes no part in argument because it knows.
E.F. Benson

Offline cramx3

• Chillest of the chill
  • DTF.org Alumni
    • The Home of cramx3
« Reply #9 on: January 19, 2017, 08:20:07 AM »
I'd be OK if everyone sat this out and we as a country just save the money being spent on this.  Trump assumes presidency without the show and life goes on.

Offline Implode

• Lord of the Squids
  • DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #10 on: January 19, 2017, 08:47:24 AM »
I pretty much agree with with EB, and as usual he states it better than I could.

Offline hefdaddy42

• Whiskey Bent and Hell Bound
  • Global Moderator
  • RIP Dad 1943-2010
« Reply #11 on: January 19, 2017, 09:49:30 AM »
I loathe Trump, and I personally wouldn't attend the inauguration if I had a free ticket.

But if Democratic officeholders would ordinarily be there, they should go.  I hate the sonuvabitch, but it's democracy in action, and he won.  Go to the inauguration and let's pretend to be a united country for a couple of hours.

Hef is right on all things. Except for when I disagree with him. In which case he's probably still right.

Offline Sir GuitarCozmo

• Official Forum Sous Chef and broler5
  • DTF.org Alumni
  • whahibrido pickingant in action...
« Reply #12 on: January 19, 2017, 10:19:12 AM »
you are unwilling to represent us in a respectful fashion?

Legislators do not give a fuck about you or any other constituent in this country.  Never have, never will.  They give a fuck about one thing.  Staying in power.

Offline lonestar

• DTF Executive Head Chef
  • Official DTF Tour Guide
  • First Follower
    • Lady Obscure Music Magazine
« Reply #13 on: January 19, 2017, 10:59:46 AM »
The world is watching us, and this looks bad.

I don't think we can damage our image to the rest of the world much more than we already have. We did elect Donald Trump for president after all.
Quote from: nightmare_cinema
So should lonestar and I have babies or something now, is that how this works?
Dang, you're easily the coolest fogey I know of

Offline gmillerdrake

• Proud Father.....Blessed Husband
  • DTF.org Member
  • 1 Timothy 2:5
« Reply #14 on: January 19, 2017, 11:21:56 AM »

I don't think we can damage our image to the rest of the world much more than we already have. We did elect Donald Trump for president after all.

.....and obama twice.....
Without Faith.....Without Hope.....There can be No Peace of Mind

Offline El Barto

• DTF.org Alumni
  • Bad Craziness
« Reply #15 on: January 19, 2017, 11:28:57 AM »

At the time Obama was elected he seemed pretty reasonable. There was no objective reason to assume he was going to suck. Trump was elected despite, and in some cases because of the fact he was off the rails. One makes us look foolish in retrospect. One makes us look batshit insane in the here and now.
Argument, the presentation of reasonable views, never makes headway against conviction, and conviction takes no part in argument because it knows.
E.F. Benson

Offline Chino

• DT.net Veteran
« Reply #16 on: January 19, 2017, 11:29:12 AM »

You're tripping if you think the rest of the world views voting for Obama to be equal to or worse than voting for Trump.

Offline Sir GuitarCozmo

• Official Forum Sous Chef and broler5
  • DTF.org Alumni
  • whahibrido pickingant in action...
« Reply #17 on: January 19, 2017, 11:34:30 AM »

You're tripping if you think the rest of the world views voting for Obama to be equal to or worse than voting for Trump.

^This

Offline hefdaddy42

• Global Moderator
  • RIP Dad 1943-2010
Re: Democrats Skipping The Inauguration
« Reply #18 on: January 19, 2017, 11:52:03 AM »
Corrected the thread title spelling.

Hef is right on all things. Except for when I disagree with him. In which case he's probably still right.

Offline gmillerdrake

• Proud Father.....Blessed Husband
  • DTF.org Member
  • 1 Timothy 2:5
« Reply #19 on: January 19, 2017, 11:55:46 AM »

^This

Oh I'm not arguing that point....the rest of the world I'm sure has been happy with a timid President who bent over backwards to make sure to apologize for America being around and has done everything he can to emasculate the US just short of removing the 'balls' all together.

It's simply two different viewpoints. I can post until I have carpel tunnel detailing why I think obama was a horrid President....and believe every word of it AND not change "your"opinions on why he was the second coming of christ. You could do the same....obama has 8 years of evidence to support either viewpoint equally.

Trump hasn't even been sworn in yet. I'm not saying Trump is god's gift to Repubs or even my values....and that his antics aren't childish....but I know I could give a  :censored less about what the 'rest of the world' thinks at this point in human history being that the rest of the world has benefited greatly from America over the past 100 years or so.

Without Faith.....Without Hope.....There can be No Peace of Mind

Offline hefdaddy42

• Global Moderator
  • RIP Dad 1943-2010
« Reply #20 on: January 19, 2017, 12:02:23 PM »
Yeah, but the point he was making is based on how this looks to the rest of the world.

Offline cramx3

• Chillest of the chill
  • DTF.org Alumni
    • The Home of cramx3
« Reply #21 on: January 19, 2017, 12:06:46 PM »

You're also tripping if you think the rest of the world cares that much about who we elect.  I never like the idea of doing anything, whether personal or on a large scale, because of what others may think.

Offline Adami

• DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #22 on: January 19, 2017, 12:08:20 PM »
Much of Europe cares to some degree, because they recognize that immense power that America has.

And if the attitude is "F*** you, we're America", then I can't see much getting better for us as a planet.
fanticide.bandcamp.com

Offline El Barto

• DTF.org Alumni
  • Bad Craziness
« Reply #23 on: January 19, 2017, 12:09:55 PM »
Appearances matter. One of the things Grabby is completely incapable of understanding. As for me, I'm inclined to agree that we shouldn't base our actions on the opinions of others, but on a personal level I don't like being associated with LCD asshats.
E.F. Benson

Offline Adami

• DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #24 on: January 19, 2017, 12:10:42 PM »

^This

Oh I'm not arguing that point....the rest of the world I'm sure has been happy with a timid President who bent over backwards to make sure to apologize for America being around and has done everything he can to emasculate the US just short of removing the 'balls' all together.

I don't want America to be a great country because we act like selfish jerks without consideration for anyone else and then refuse to apologize for it. I want it to be a paragon of virtue that other countries can respect and look up to. America (and most other countries) have made tons and tons of mistakes. Owning up to them isn't a sign of weakness.
fanticide.bandcamp.com

Offline El Barto

• DTF.org Alumni
  • Bad Craziness
« Reply #25 on: January 19, 2017, 12:19:30 PM »
And since a cornerstone of conservative foreign policy is the US taking on a leadership role, do we really want the example we set to be acting like assholes and bullies?
E.F. Benson

Offline cramx3

• Chillest of the chill
  • DTF.org Alumni
    • The Home of cramx3
« Reply #26 on: January 19, 2017, 12:22:14 PM »
And since a cornerstone of conservative foreign policy is the US taking on a leadership role, do we really want the example we set to be acting like assholes and bullies?

No, but that's how we've been acting for way longer than Trump so this is nothing new although maybe more extreme.

Offline chknptpie

• DTF.org Member
« Reply #27 on: January 19, 2017, 12:22:31 PM »

Eh, I don't want to minimize your point, but if it was the other way around would you feel this way? If Clinton won and the Rs were saying she was a criminal and shouldn't be President and they weren't supporting the transition of power by not going to the inauguration, would you be cool with that? The standard is the standard and needs applied both ways regardless of political views or affiliations.

Furthermore, I think my disapproval of this move by some Dems isn't rooted in patriotism or tradition, it's rooted in the fact that all these guys and gals, once again regardless of affiliation, are in the position they are in to be public servants. To try to improve our country, to go to bat for the folks they represent, to cross political divides in the name of progress toward goals that help and enable the American people to realize the American dream. Not going to the inauguration does none of that. That's my measuring stick for this, not patriotism or tradition.

I personally would not care if it was switched. In my mind, attending (or not attending) the inauguration is such a minor thing in the grand scheme of things. I would rather people (including politicians) actually act on their beliefs rather than pretend to support someone.

Offline Chino

• DT.net Veteran
« Reply #28 on: January 19, 2017, 12:25:10 PM »

^This

I don't want America to be a great country because we act like selfish jerks without consideration for anyone else and then refuse to apologize for it. I want it to be a paragon of virtue that other countries can respect and look up to. America (and most other countries) have made tons and tons of mistakes. Owning up to them isn't a sign of weakness.

This is where I stand as well. Like it or not, humanity has reached a point where we really need to start acting together on a lot of things. We need to share our technologies and our ideas. We should encourage crossing borders to solve problems. America has had the good fortune of only having to share its borders with two other countries, with massive coastlines separating us from anyone else by thousands of miles. We were geographically lucky and it's benefitted every person currently living here greatly.

I don't want to show off our military in designated parades. Yeah, it's good to have it on standby, but wanting to spend millions and millions of dollars to roll unnecessary equipment through our streets in an effort to "make other countries respect us" just seems so backwards when looking at history.

Online mikeyd23

« Reply #29 on: January 19, 2017, 12:26:41 PM »
I personally would not care if it was switched. In my mind, attending (or not attending) the inauguration is such a minor thing in the grand scheme of things. I would rather people (including politicians) actually act on their beliefs rather than pretend to support someone.

But it's not a minor thing when you state publicly the reason why you aren't attending is because you (not you personally, the Dems doing this) consider Trump a "illegitimate president" based on essentially rumors and hearsay. Words mean something and those words are very dangerous. That's the bigger picture here.

Online MrBoom_shack-a-lack

• I hit things for a living!
  • DTF.org Member
  • Boom, Mr Boom
« Reply #30 on: January 19, 2017, 12:27:00 PM »

You're also tripping if you think the rest of the world cares that much about who we elect.  I never like the idea of doing anything, whether personal or on a large scale, because of what others may think.
Pretty much everyone I know has the collective opinion of "WTF have you done America".  :lol
There were times when Rik and I were writing together when we almost died laughing. They were some of the most carefree stupid days I ever had, and I feel privileged to have shared them with him. And now he's died for real. Without me. Selfish bastard.

/Ade Edmondson

Offline cramx3

• Chillest of the chill
  • DTF.org Alumni
    • The Home of cramx3
« Reply #31 on: January 19, 2017, 12:30:41 PM »
I don't want to show off our military in designated parades. Yeah, it's good to have it on standby, but wanting to spend millions and millions of dollars to roll unnecessary equipment through our streets in an effort to "make other countries respect us" just seems so backwards when looking at history.

This is kind of where I was going earlier when I mentioned I'd rather not do the inauguration at all.  Just seems like a huge waste and if we can't even get along on such an event, what's the point?

Pretty much everyone I know has the collective opinion of "WTF have you done America".  :lol

And sure, everyone talks about it, but do they actually care?  I was in Frankfurt on election day, no one cared or was even talking about it (which I was surprised by considering the election itself was a surprise).  In America, we talked a whole lot about brexit, but does anyone really care?  That's kind of what I meant.  Not just have an opinion, but care about it.

Offline El Barto

• DTF.org Alumni
  • Bad Craziness
« Reply #32 on: January 19, 2017, 12:41:05 PM »

No, but that's how we've been acting for way longer than Trump so this is nothing new although maybe more extreme.
But I thought we spent the last 8 years acting like castrated wimps?
E.F. Benson

Offline pogoowner

• Pancake Bunny
  • DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #33 on: January 19, 2017, 12:46:20 PM »

While bombing 7 countries.

Offline cramx3

• Chillest of the chill
  • DTF.org Alumni
    • The Home of cramx3
« Reply #34 on: January 19, 2017, 12:47:59 PM »

I was actually referring to much more of a past than the last 8 years.  Obama was not much of a bully IMO, but I feel like America as a whole has been a bully for pretty much my entire life at least.  Not saying that's necessarily bad either.  Sometimes someone needs to be an asshole and push people to make progress.  And sometimes being an asshole makes things worse.