Poll

Which Post 2000 era Maiden album do you like best?

Brave New World
31 (31.6%)
Dance of Death
9 (9.2%)
A Matter of Life and Death
30 (30.6%)
The Final Frontier
11 (11.2%)
Book Of Souls
17 (17.3%)

Total Members Voted: 96

Author Topic: Best post 2000 Iron Maiden  (Read 6570 times)

Offline Architeuthis

Best post 2000 Iron Maiden
« on: January 18, 2017, 04:06:09 PM »
My personal fav post 2000 Maiden album is Dance of Death,   they all have their great moments though. D.o.D flows real nice and is consistently good with nice production. Not to mention Paschendale is a beast of a song.  :metal
« Last Edit: January 18, 2017, 04:14:27 PM by Architeuthis »
You can do a lot in a lifetime if you don't burn out too fast, you can make the most of the distance, first you need endurance first you've got to last....... NP

Offline Imaginos

Re: Best post 2000 Iron Maiden
« Reply #1 on: January 18, 2017, 04:49:01 PM »
I voted final frontier. Dance of Death and Brave New World are both great, and Book of Souls is a solid album. I need to listen to AMOLAD more though. TFF was the first album that came out while I was a fan, so that's probably part of why I like it, but Isle of Avalon and Wild Wind are two of my favorite reunion era maiden tunes, and I've always liked El Dorado and The Alchemist.

Online jjrock88

• DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #2 on: January 18, 2017, 04:58:43 PM »
Brave New World. A perfect comeback album.

But A Matter of Life and Death is a close second

Online TAC

• DTF.org Alumni
  • Arthritic Metal Horns
« Reply #3 on: January 18, 2017, 05:12:46 PM »
Let's just say that the Reunion Era is amazing. I created a Reunion Era vs Classic Era a couple years ago.

I voted The Final Frontier. I have always felt that the Reunion albums each built upon the previous one. The Book Of Souls is the first where I didn't feel that way.
I feel that TFF and AMOLAD are pretty close, but TFF is just a little easier on the ears.

Still AMOLAD is probably THE definitive Reunion Era album.
would have thought the same thing but seeing the OP was TAC i immediately thought Maiden or DT related
Winger Theater Forums........or WTF.  ;D
TAC got a higher score than me in the electronic round? Honestly, can I just drop out now? :lol

Offline krands85

« Reply #4 on: January 18, 2017, 05:27:47 PM »
The Book of Souls is definitely my favourite. I love that album, it's definitely up there with Maiden's best for me.

AMOLAD comes second - it was around the time it was released that I really started listening to the band a lot. The Reincarnation of Benjamin Breeg was a big favourite for a while.

Brave New World and Dance of Death come next, but I find it tough to separate them. Both are pretty solid albums with some killer tracks, though I haven't listened to either as a whole for quite a while.

Last place is definitely TFF. I was just never able to get in to that album for some reason, didn't do very much for me at all.
Whoaaaahh, ohhh, ohhhhh. Whoaaaahh, ohhhhh, ohhhhhh. Waaah, ahhh, haaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaowwwwww

Offline Cool Chris

• DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #5 on: January 18, 2017, 06:15:37 PM »
I would probably go with the above, if you flipped BoS and AMOLAD, which got my vote in the poll.

BNW and DoD have some awesome tracks, some good tracks, and some mediocre tracks (IM's mediocre tracks still being pretty good, comparatively).

And I also cannot get in to TFF as much as the others.
"Nostalgia is just the ability to forget the things that sucked" - Nelson DeMille, 'Up Country'

Offline wolfking

• DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #6 on: January 18, 2017, 06:24:16 PM »
Everyone else, except Wolfking is wrong.

Offline jammindude

« Reply #7 on: January 18, 2017, 07:07:28 PM »
With the exception of AMOLAD, and to a lesser extent Book of Souls, I have found much of the reunion stuff to be way too repetitive and at times downright boring.

Seems odd that BNW is winning this. That's my least favorite.

AMOLAD is the clear winner for me. That is EASILY a top 5 all time Maiden album.
"Better the pride that resides in a citizen of the world.
Than the pride that divides when a colorful rag is unfurled." - Neil Peart

The Jammin Dude Show - https://www.youtube.com/user/jammindude

Online cramx3

• Chillest of the chill
  • DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #8 on: January 18, 2017, 07:25:54 PM »
AMOLAD is the clear winner for me. That is EASILY a top 5 all time Maiden album.

My #1

Online Ben_Jamin

• I'm just a man, thrown into existence by the gods
« Reply #9 on: January 18, 2017, 07:32:50 PM »
AMOLAD, it was my first Maiden album actually. It was just released when I bought it. I loved it and wish they would play The Legacy.
I don't know how they can be so proud of winning with them odds. - Little Big Man
Follow my Spotify:BjamminD

Online TAC

• DTF.org Alumni
  • Arthritic Metal Horns
« Reply #10 on: January 18, 2017, 07:45:58 PM »
AMOLAD..... is EASILY a top 5 all time Maiden album.

No question.
would have thought the same thing but seeing the OP was TAC i immediately thought Maiden or DT related
TAC got a higher score than me in the electronic round? Honestly, can I just drop out now? :lol

Offline Anguyen92

« Reply #11 on: January 18, 2017, 10:55:55 PM »
I voted for The Book of Souls album, but For the Greater Good of God is such a beast of a song, that could very well end up in my fave five Iron Maiden tracks along with Coming Home, The Book of Souls, Hallowed Be Thy Name, and If Eternity Should Fail.

Offline NoseofNicko

« Reply #12 on: January 18, 2017, 11:06:56 PM »
Dance of Death. Actually one of my top 5 Maiden albums. Paschendale is their best reunion song.

Online Zydar

• Creep With Tonality
  • DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #13 on: January 19, 2017, 12:13:15 AM »
Brave New World
Zydar is my new hero.  I just laughed so hard I nearly shat.

Offline Kwyjibo

• Worse troll than Blabbermouth
« Reply #14 on: January 19, 2017, 02:09:32 AM »
Must've been Kwyji sending all the wrong songs.   ;D

Offline Elite

• The 'other' Rich
  • DTF.org Alumni
  • also, a tin teardrop
« Reply #15 on: January 19, 2017, 02:16:59 AM »
I voted AMOLAD, because I remember when it was released. I was 14 and heavily into Iron Maiden. I spun that album a lot back then. The others don't do nearly as much for me, to be honest. When TFF was released 4 years later I wasn't really into the band anymore (same goes for TBOS obviously) and the other two don't do nearly as much for me, because they didn't have the same impact AMOLAD did.
Hey dude slow the fuck down so we can finish together at the same time.  :biggrin:
Squ
scRa are the resultaten of sound nog bring propey

Offline Mladen

« Reply #16 on: January 19, 2017, 02:20:25 AM »
A Matter of Life and Death

Online MirrorMask

« Reply #17 on: January 19, 2017, 02:36:10 AM »
Dance of Death, I know not every song is a masterpiece but I always loved the diversity of it.

All these albums are strong so it's quite hard to rate them.
I use my sig to pimp some bands from Italy! Check out Elvenking (Power / Folk metal), Folkstone (Rock / Medieval metal), Arcana Opera (Gothic/Noir/Heavy metal) and the beautiful voice of Elisa!

Offline Phoenix87x

• From the ashes
  • The Phoenix shall rise
« Reply #18 on: January 19, 2017, 02:49:28 AM »
This is really tough. I think they are all pretty strong. Maybe BNW or Book of souls for me.

Offline Art

« Reply #19 on: January 19, 2017, 04:23:27 AM »

Exactly this.

But i like all reunion albums. I would rate them like this:

1- BNW
2 - AMOLAD
3 - BOS
4 - DOD
5 - FF

Offline Zantera

• Wolfman's brother
  • DTF.org Member
  • Bouncing around the room
« Reply #20 on: January 19, 2017, 04:50:01 AM »
No question for me, AMOLAD. Brave New World would be a good second, then probably DoD followed by BoS and then FF at last place.

Online MirrorMask

« Reply #21 on: January 19, 2017, 05:12:05 AM »
The way I see the albums...

BNW - Perfect comeback album, all classic-sounding stuff, a reminder of what Maiden used to be. They learn to walk again.
DOD - Once they've learned to walk, they learn to fly! A lot more of diversity, unusual styles, long epics with no chorus repetitions at all, an acoustic song, and some forgivable lesser tracks.
AMOLAD - They go all the way on the prog side, a strong album of course but while being almost a semi-concept on the lyrical side, the mood is consistent so if you don't like it 100%, the album could drag for you.
TFF - A lighter approach, all good songs again but the formula starts to wear thin. Once again a rocking opener, the ballad, four (five!)  epics in a row etc... good, experimental but not groundbreaking.
TBOS - A new approach, the trademarks are there but they're more experimental, unleashed, and inspired. The most grandiose title track since Seventh Son, and the absolute unique masterpiece of Empire of the Clouds. Long and yet enticing.
I use my sig to pimp some bands from Italy! Check out Elvenking (Power / Folk metal), Folkstone (Rock / Medieval metal), Arcana Opera (Gothic/Noir/Heavy metal) and the beautiful voice of Elisa!

Offline Grappler

• Victory, Illinois Varsity
« Reply #22 on: January 19, 2017, 06:10:07 AM »
Brave New World - those songs have turned out to be total classics, and the album was a complete monster when it was released.  I still absolutely love that record today, 17 years later.

Offline LudwigVan

• Proglodyte
« Reply #23 on: January 19, 2017, 07:48:20 AM »
1- TFF
2- BNW
3- AMOLAD
4- DOD
5- BOS

I need to give Book of Souls more listens.
"There is nothing more difficult than talking about music."
--Camille Saint-Saëns

“All the good music has already been written by people with wigs and stuff.”
--Frank Zappa

Offline wolfking

• DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #24 on: January 19, 2017, 02:32:01 PM »
I like the appreciation here of DOD, and I personally I love it like the rest, but the production just really hurts it.  It's awful.

Offline Polarbear

« Reply #25 on: January 19, 2017, 03:05:29 PM »
BNW was the quintessential comeback album, and happens to be a top.5 IM album for me so that gets my vote.

All the others are good albums, as well!

Offline bundy

« Reply #26 on: January 20, 2017, 12:25:54 AM »

This

Offline Architeuthis

« Reply #27 on: January 20, 2017, 02:38:50 AM »
I like the appreciation here of DOD, and I personally I love it like the rest, but the production just really hurts it.  It's awful.
I can't see anything wrong with the production of DOD, to me it sounds as good as any Maiden album. Besides DOD, the later albums sound just a tiny bit muffled.  Still great though!
« Last Edit: January 20, 2017, 02:53:15 AM by Architeuthis »
You can do a lot in a lifetime if you don't burn out too fast, you can make the most of the distance, first you need endurance first you've got to last....... NP

Offline wolfking

• DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #28 on: January 20, 2017, 04:38:19 AM »
I can't see anything wrong with the production of DOD, to me it sounds as good as any Maiden album. Besides DOD, the later albums sound just a tiny bit muffled.  Still great though!

To me, DOD is way more muddy and muffled than the other, but the production on TFF isn't far off.  That's no good either.

Offline sneakyblueberry

• put me in coach
  • DTF.org Member
« Reply #29 on: January 20, 2017, 05:24:32 AM »
Before BoS I would've said BNW, but I feel like they stepped their game up a shit ton with BoS, which is amazing for a band who could've easily rested on their laurels. 

TFF is still horrible to me :P I think that earns a place with No Prayer and FOTD as the most meh of the Maiden albums for me.  I know a lot of people love it, but I think it's tacky - besides a few great tracks. 

Online Stadler

• DTF.org Alumni
  • Pointing out the "unfunny" since 2014!
« Reply #30 on: January 20, 2017, 08:14:57 AM »
Some bands I get it, but I don't really get the "production" complaints about Maiden.  They've always been a "dry" sounding band (from Martin Birch), and Harris notoriously doesn't want his stuff "mastered" (all stuff is "mastered", it's just whether EQ is added, and Maiden says NO), so comparatively, I imagine it does sound a tad "muddier" than some of the stuff we're used to.

For me, Dance of Death is the highlight of what is an amazingly high level of work since the reunion.  While I still sort of think that Gers is expendable, I think across the board, whether you like it or not musically, no one can say that the reunion is a "cash grab".   Harris made meaningful compromises to Dickinson (and to a lesser degree, Smith) and vice versa, but they are still trying to forge new ground.  There is very little on the post-BNW albums that sounds like or sits next to things like Killers or Number....

I rarely like the singles best (there's always an album track that catches me) but Wildest Dreams is an amazing song, and, well, Journeyman is easily a top five all time Maiden song for me.  Just LOVE that song. 

Online TAC

• DTF.org Alumni
  • Arthritic Metal Horns
« Reply #31 on: January 20, 2017, 03:13:22 PM »
  whether you like it or not musically, no one can say that the reunion is a "cash grab".   Harris made meaningful compromises to Dickinson (and to a lesser degree, Smith) and vice versa, but they are still trying to forge new ground.  There is very little on the post-BNW albums that sounds like or sits next to things like Killers or Number....

The Reunion Era has been amazing. The writing and playing have improved in this second era.

My rankings:

1. TFF
2. AMOLAD
3. DOD
4. BNW
5. BOS

Tracks:
1. The Talisman
2. For The Greater Good Of God
3. Coming Home
4. Empire Of The Clouds
5. Dance Of Death

Offline bosk1

• King of Misdirection
  • Administrator
  • Bow down to Boskaryus
« Reply #32 on: January 20, 2017, 03:42:38 PM »
The Final Frontier easily.  Possibly their best album ever.  Definitely somewhere in the top 3 with Piece of Mind and Somewhere In Time.
"The Supreme Court of the United States has descended from the disciplined legal reasoning of John Marshall and Joseph Story to the mystical aphorisms of the fortune cookie."

Offline wolfking

• DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #33 on: January 20, 2017, 04:28:47 PM »
1. The Talisman
2. For The Greater Good Of God

I love this top 2 ranking.

Offline bosk1

• King of Misdirection
  • Administrator
  • Bow down to Boskaryus
« Reply #34 on: January 20, 2017, 04:42:08 PM »
Eh, it's an okay ranking.  7/10.  Absence of El Dorado knocks down to 6/10.  But not bad, all things considered.
"The Supreme Court of the United States has descended from the disciplined legal reasoning of John Marshall and Joseph Story to the mystical aphorisms of the fortune cookie."