Author Topic: Tommy Emmanuel  (Read 1228 times)

Offline MrBoom_shack-a-lack

• I hit things for a living!
  • DTF.org Member
Tommy Emmanuel
« on: January 16, 2017, 02:21:31 PM »
I guess most people are aware of Tommy these days. I have known him for quite some time and every time I stumble upon him on YT or FB or whatever i'm always taken away how much musicianship and virtuosity that guy possess, it's quite astounding.

I'm not sure why I haven't seen him live yet because I would love too.

Anyone seen him live?

There's countless of videos online but I stumble upon this wonderful collab he did with Ian Cooper today: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=FQL227Wtv_Y
"I said to Nigel Tufnel, 'The door is open if you want to do anything on this record,' but it turns out Nigel has a phobia about doors." /Derek Smalls

Offline bl5150

• DTF.org Alumni
Re: Tommy Emmanuel
« Reply #1 on: January 16, 2017, 02:25:30 PM »
Decades ago I saw him live a couple of times , but then that's not so unusual as he's a local boy to me in Australia and has been well known around here for a very long time.

You're right - a very interesting player.   Sometimes a bit too interesting for my taste (a few too many flourishes) but no doubt a very accomplished, complete player in his niche.
"I would just like to say that after all these years of heavy drinking, bright lights and late nights, I still don't need glasses. I drink right out of the bottle." - DLR

www.theguitardojo.com.au

Online TAC

• DTF.org Alumni
  • Arthritic Metal Horns
« Reply #2 on: January 16, 2017, 02:34:00 PM »
I guess most people are aware of Tommy these days. 

They are? I've never heard of him.
would have thought the same thing but seeing the OP was TAC i immediately thought Maiden or DT related
Winger Theater Forums........or WTF.  ;D
TAC got a higher score than me in the electronic round? Honestly, can I just drop out now? :lol

• DTF.org Member
« Reply #3 on: January 16, 2017, 02:48:14 PM »
I guess most people are aware of Tommy these days. 

They are? I've never heard of him.
:lol Well ok ok, he's all over YT if you wanna check him out.

He does a killer version of Guitar Boogie by Arthur Smith: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=sV1e-iSo5As
"I said to Nigel Tufnel, 'The door is open if you want to do anything on this record,' but it turns out Nigel has a phobia about doors." /Derek Smalls

Online TAC

• DTF.org Alumni
  • Arthritic Metal Horns
« Reply #4 on: January 16, 2017, 02:51:46 PM »
Nice!

Alrighty then. I have now heard of him!
would have thought the same thing but seeing the OP was TAC i immediately thought Maiden or DT related
Winger Theater Forums........or WTF.  ;D
TAC got a higher score than me in the electronic round? Honestly, can I just drop out now? :lol

Offline ReaperKK

• Sweeter After Difficulty
  • DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #5 on: January 16, 2017, 02:56:12 PM »
I'm a huge Tommy Emmanuel fan. I discovered him through a YT video of him playing a Beatles cover doing both the bass and vocal melody.

Since then I've seen him a handful of times and he is amazing to watch. Incredibly long and entertaining show. He has a great personality, tells some great stories and his guitar playing is flawless. Seriously I saw him 4 times and I can't remember a misplaced note anywhere :lol

Offline wolfking

• DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #6 on: January 16, 2017, 03:09:56 PM »
You're right - a very interesting player.   Sometimes a bit too interesting for my taste (a few too many flourishes) but no doubt a very accomplished, complete player in his niche.

My thoughts too.  I never really liked the acoustic thing all that much, but he is a gun player.
Everyone else, except Wolfking is wrong.

• DTF.org Member
« Reply #7 on: January 16, 2017, 04:06:13 PM »
I'm a huge Tommy Emmanuel fan. I discovered him through a YT video of him playing a Beatles cover doing both the bass and vocal melody.

Since then I've seen him a handful of times and he is amazing to watch. Incredibly long and entertaining show. He has a great personality, tells some great stories and his guitar playing is flawless. Seriously I saw him 4 times and I can't remember a misplaced note anywhere :lol
Yea that's definitely one thing I admire him for, his personality and presence on stage along with his flawless playing.

Offline ReaperKK

• DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #8 on: January 19, 2017, 06:03:11 PM »
"Lewis & Clark" is the first song that really got me into Tommy Emmanuel:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Y1pS_6hErDA

Offline ytserush

• Like clockwork...
« Reply #9 on: January 24, 2017, 05:29:14 PM »
I guess most people are aware of Tommy these days. I have known him for quite some time and every time I stumble upon him on YT or FB or whatever i'm always taken away how much musicianship and virtuosity that guy possess, it's quite astounding.

I'm not sure why I haven't seen him live yet because I would love too.

Anyone seen him live?

There's countless of videos online but I stumble upon this wonderful collab he did with Ian Cooper today: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=FQL227Wtv_Y

Still need to see this guy live. Only have about a half-dozen of his albums. Pretty amazing stuff.

Offline ReaperKK

• DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #10 on: January 25, 2017, 03:08:55 PM »
This thread has gotten me on a Tommy Emmanuel kick, here is another one of my favorites, Those Who Wait:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=QnRGDO7k3aQ

It's one of the few songs I've been able to learn of his

• DTF.org Member
« Reply #11 on: January 25, 2017, 03:11:59 PM »
 :tup

• DTF.org Member
« Reply #12 on: December 01, 2021, 04:08:39 PM »
The Tommy Emmanuel Interview

Great interview with Tommy. I love his comment about learning the original of a song until you can play it effortlessly before you do your own thing with it. I think that applies to any instrument. Not many people feel the need to do that but I think that's important if you really wanna feel free playing a song.

Offline ReaperKK

• DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #13 on: December 01, 2021, 06:41:39 PM »
Awesome, I'll give it a watch tomorrow. I'm really happy that Rick Beato is doing more and more interviews.

Offline LithoJazzoSphere

• DT.net Veteran
  • Placid Eruption
« Reply #14 on: December 01, 2021, 07:46:16 PM »

Great interview with Tommy. I love his comment about learning the original of a song until you can play it effortlessly before you do your own thing with it. I think that applies to any instrument. Not many people feel the need to do that but I think that's important if you really wanna feel free playing a song.

I wish I had enough skill to play anything effortlessly.  Or at least something.  I've seen Tommy live before though, one of my favorite shows.  I'm not sure there's a better guitarist alive right now.  Maybe Guthrie. 

Offline ReaperKK

• DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #15 on: December 01, 2021, 08:03:45 PM »
Guthrie, Tommy, Mike Dawes, and Michael Kelsey are all in a league of their own.

Offline LithoJazzoSphere

• DT.net Veteran
  • Placid Eruption
« Reply #16 on: December 01, 2021, 09:23:52 PM »
I've seen Mike Dawes live as well.  Fantastic player, but I don't think he's on the level of Tommy or Guthrie.  I'll have to look into Kelsey. 

• DTF.org Member
« Reply #17 on: December 02, 2021, 12:32:48 AM »

I wish I had enough skill to play anything effortlessly.  Or at least something.  I've seen Tommy live before though, one of my favorite shows.  I'm not sure there's a better guitarist alive right now.  Maybe Guthrie.
Yea I kinda feel the same but I think it's the strive and journey  for it that's important. It might also be a bit deciving because how it feel and sound might not always go hand in hand. Something might feel like a struggle but still sound good and vice versa. Overall it's a lifegoal to play anything effortlessly that few people succeed with.
Also I think that one might think that people like Tommy don't struggle playing certain things but I think even though he can play unreal stuff that looks effortlessly for him it still might be a struggle for his fingers and might not feel completly smooth for him if you know what I mean.

Offline ytserush

• Like clockwork...
« Reply #18 on: December 18, 2021, 08:29:49 PM »

Thanks! Never knew much about him, but I've been enjoying his music for about 30 years.