Author Topic: What to do with Puerto Rico?  (Read 1437 times)

Offline Stadler

• DTF.org Alumni
  • Pointing out the "unfunny" since 2017!
Re: What to do with Puerto Rico?
« Reply #35 on: October 06, 2017, 02:17:44 PM »
Yup. We natives are known by what the others called our tribe. We as Native peoples of the Americas all have our own names we know ourselves as. Some are barely changing it legally to what that Tribe describes where their from.

I'm not an American, we were forced/born into being that.

Most of us fall in that boat, though.  I didn't have a choice as to where and to whom I was born. 

Offline Ben_Jamin

• Do a nice one for grandma
« Reply #36 on: October 06, 2017, 02:26:35 PM »
Yup. We natives are known by what the others called our tribe. We as Native peoples of the Americas all have our own names we know ourselves as. Some are barely changing it legally to what that Tribe describes where their from.

I'm not an American, we were forced/born into being that.

Most of us fall in that boat, though.  I didn't have a choice as to where and to whom I was born.

Yeah. But you do know your Roots?(not directing at you personally) where your heritage lies? Those I feel are really important things to know your identity and where you're originally from. Because you have culture there, white/European culture. The same as the Orients, Africans...pretty much the entire world. Sadly, most of the magnificent structures we had were destroyed, they were akin to some great ancient places.

Its kind of weird being Native and thinking the way I do about a lot of things. Especially on a forum without a face to face convo. Its things I think about and wonder why?

I don't know how they can be so proud of winning with them odds. - Little Big Man

I Love You...Poppin Fresh

Offline Cool Chris

• DTF.org Alumni
  • Rest in Peace
« Reply #37 on: October 06, 2017, 02:33:27 PM »
I do not know anything about my (Eastern European) roots. It wasn't important for my parents to impart them to me. Their parents moved here not to be Yugoslavian-Americans, but to be American. Their identities were not linked to where they moved from, but were instead to who they wanted to become.
"Nostalgia is just the ability to forget the things that sucked" - Nelson DeMille, 'Up Country'