Author Topic: Sepultura - Machine Messiah  (Read 1853 times)

Offline devieira73

• Boldly go where no brazilian has gone before...
Sepultura - Machine Messiah
« on: January 14, 2017, 12:45:31 PM »
Sepultura - Machine Messiah

I'm very impressed by this album! And I'm not a super Sepultura fan neither a fan of Derrick's voice. But on this cd he really sounds great and sings with a lot of variations. The arrangements of the songs are very creative with a lot of orchestrations made in a cool, not obvious way. It's no doubt the best guitar performance from Andreas and Eloy Casagrande made an incredible drum work here. It's an album with a lot of groove and have a really cool instrumental on it. Jens Brogren also did great job producing it.
"one small step for a man, one giant leap for mankind." (RIP Neil Armstrong)

Online Dream Team

Re: Sepultura - Machine Messiah
« Reply #1 on: January 14, 2017, 01:59:58 PM »
I wish they would go back to their 1987-1989 sound, that was killer.

Offline jammindude

« Reply #2 on: January 14, 2017, 03:32:10 PM »
Beneath the Remains and Arise are possibly among the greatest thrash albums of all time.     But their reinvention on Chaos AD was phenomenal.   Arise (as good as it was) was just BtR part 2...and think they were in danger of falling into a rut if they tried to do it again.   That was what made Chaos AD so important, and SO fantastic.   Not too many bands can re-invent their sound with flying colors, and Sepultura did it.   And for that reason, I consider Chaos AD to be their masterpiece. 

But that being said, it was the loss of the Cavalera brothers that really killed the band to me.   I'm willing to check out the new stuff....but it's tough to still call them Sepultura when Paulo is the only original member. 
"Better the pride that resides in a citizen of the world.
Than the pride that divides when a colorful rag is unfurled." - Neil Peart

The Jammin Dude Show - https://www.youtube.com/user/jammindude

Offline PROGdrummer

« Reply #3 on: January 14, 2017, 04:03:24 PM »
I was just about to make a thread for this album. It's awesome  :metal :metal :metal
I'm not really a huge Sepultura fan, as I've only listened to Kairos and watched a few festival clips on YouTube (playing Roots with an ensemble of oil drums and Mike Patton was really cool).

I see a ton of comments online from people who don't like Derrick's voice  ???  I really like it. I think he's really one of my favorite metal voices, he's got great harshes and screams I think. I really like the part in Phantom Self at 2:19, where he does these ascending growls, and he's hitting actual notes, which most growlers don't do, and I thought it was badass.

I could recognize that Fascination Street Studios sound immediately. I love Jens' work, he can make any album sound punchy without being too loud. And I kind of have a fetish for bass drops/sonic booms in metal songs and he loves to add them in all the right places.

Offline Progmetty

• DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #4 on: January 14, 2017, 10:18:18 PM »
Only Sepultura album I listened to after MC left was Against, only cause I wanted to hear Newsted's contributions. I'll check out Machine Messiah.
I wouldn't want somebody with 18 kids to mow my damn lawn, based on a longstanding bias I have against crazy fucks.

Offline devieira73

« Reply #5 on: January 15, 2017, 08:08:23 AM »
Like I said, I'm not a super fan of the band. In fact, I really don't know the entire discography. The albums that I truly heard so far: chaos, roots, kairos, mediator and the last one. Despite the Max phase being the most influencial, no doubt, from what I heard e for my personal musical taste, I would say that this one is already my favourite.

Offline jammindude

« Reply #6 on: January 15, 2017, 10:38:52 AM »
If you are at all a thrash fan....Beneath the Remains and Arise are *must haves*...
« Last Edit: January 15, 2017, 12:22:47 PM by jammindude »

Offline devieira73

« Reply #7 on: January 15, 2017, 11:29:18 AM »
Cool! I will check Beneath so. I really like Arise and I didn't know about the similarity. :tup

Offline jammindude

« Reply #8 on: January 15, 2017, 12:24:54 PM »
To me....Beneath the Remains is the equal of Reign in Blood.   Just non-stop, tight, punishing..... a perfect thrash album.

Offline LudwigVan

• Proglodyte
« Reply #9 on: January 15, 2017, 03:28:50 PM »
Personally, I equate Beneath the Remains and Arise to Metallica's Ride the Lighting and Master of Puppets.
"There is nothing more difficult than talking about music."
--Camille Saint-Saëns

“All the good music has already been written by people with wigs and stuff.”
--Frank Zappa

Online Dream Team

« Reply #10 on: January 15, 2017, 03:34:51 PM »
Personally, I equate Beneath the Remains and Arise to Metallica's Ride the Lighting and Master of Puppets.

:tup

Online twosuitsluke

• Dovie'andi se tovya sagain
« Reply #11 on: January 15, 2017, 03:44:08 PM »
I personally rate Arise a lot higher than Beneath the Remains. I once heard Arise referred to as a 'riff bible' and I think that is fitting  :metal

Offline jammindude

« Reply #12 on: January 15, 2017, 04:39:22 PM »
 I can see that comparison. Maybe it's just because I heard beneath the remains first.  That's why arise just sounded like beneath the remains part two to me.

Arise is certainly a little bit more polished.  Beneath the remains captures a little bit more of the raw energy while still managing to sound tighter than a gnats ass.

Online twosuitsluke

• Dovie'andi se tovya sagain
« Reply #13 on: January 15, 2017, 04:47:33 PM »
I can see that comparison. Maybe it's just because I heard beneath the remains first.  That's why arise just sounded like beneath the remains part two to me.

Arise is certainly a little bit more polished.  Beneath the remains captures a little bit more of the raw energy while still managing to sound tighter than a gnats ass.

Yea it was the other way around for me, which is why I love Arise so  much more.

Actually, Arise was one of my gateway albums into real heavy metal. I first to got into metal via Metallica and binged on their first 5 albums for a good 6 months (exclusively). At this point I needed a new metal fix so asked my older brother to recommend me some albums. He is 8 years older than me and has great taste in metal. Anyway, he sent me 5 albums in the post, they were Pantera - Vulgar Display of Power, Megadeth - Rust in Peace, Slayer - Reign in Blood, Danzig - Danzig II and Sepultura - Arise!!  :metal :metal

They all still remain top 20 albums for me, that was a great set of albums to receive. I need to go listen to those 5 albums back to back  :corn

Offline devieira73

« Reply #14 on: January 15, 2017, 06:41:02 PM »
Cool! I will check Beneath so. I really like Arise and I didn't know about the similarity. :tup
In fact, I was refering to Chaos AD which I like a lot. Arise and Beneath... I didn't listen to them yet.

Online wolfking

• DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #15 on: January 16, 2017, 04:33:12 AM »
If you are at all a thrash fan....Beneath the Remains and Arise are *must haves*...

Yes.  I always favoured Arise though personally.

I'm only familiar with a couple of the albums the band has done with Derrick, but I might look into this one.
Everyone else, except Wolfking is wrong.

Offline Lepprador

« Reply #16 on: January 16, 2017, 04:57:17 AM »
What the ?

You can't name an album like that. That's the title of a great Yes song. Are they not having someone in their entourage with some basic music knowledge outside of thrash metal ?

Offline Art

« Reply #17 on: January 16, 2017, 05:45:44 AM »
It's a solid album indeed, maybe the best they've done with Derrick, although i also like Against, Roorback and Mediator.
« Last Edit: January 16, 2017, 07:30:20 AM by Art »

Offline Kwyjibo

• Worse troll than Blabbermouth
« Reply #18 on: January 16, 2017, 06:11:09 AM »
Roots was and is my go-to Sepultura album, maybe because it was my first exposure to their music. And I quite like Arise and Chaos A.D., not so familiar with the rest of their discography but you guys got me interested in the new one.
Must've been Kwyji sending all the wrong songs.   ;D

Online wolfking

• DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #19 on: January 17, 2017, 04:38:12 AM »
What the ?

You can't name an album like that. That's the title of a great Yes song. Are they not having someone in their entourage with some basic music knowledge outside of thrash metal ?

I really don't think anyone would give a shit. 

And who is to say they didn't know?
Everyone else, except Wolfking is wrong.

Offline PixelDream

• Maestro
« Reply #20 on: January 25, 2017, 06:32:12 PM »
I listened to the Roots album back in the day and a bit of Soulfly afterwards. This new album's got a very nice and clear production and it's proggy and heavy, I like it. First time I'm actively enjoying a Sepultura album with Green on vocals. He does a very good job here. Varied songs throughout, just pretty interesting and entertaining to listen to. This album prompted me to check out the other albums with Green on vocals, but I have to say this one is easily the most colorful and adventurous sounding of them all.

It's a quick conclusion, but I think the band is definitely on to something here, combining all kinds of influences amounting to some pretty good results. It doesn't have as much identity as Chaos A.D. or Roots, but it's definitely an engaging listen. They're not sounding tired at all. Love Kisser's guitar work and the drums in particular. It's apparent they're always keeping their ears open to whatever's going on in metal.
Not 'Down To F***', but 'Dream Theater Forums' .

Offline devieira73

« Reply #21 on: January 26, 2017, 05:57:10 AM »
I listened to the Roots album back in the day and a bit of Soulfly afterwards. This new album's got a very nice and clear production and it's proggy and heavy, I like it. First time I'm actively enjoying a Sepultura album with Green on vocals. He does a very good job here. Varied songs throughout, just pretty interesting and entertaining to listen to. This album prompted me to check out the other albums with Green on vocals, but I have to say this one is easily the most colorful and adventurous sounding of them all.

It's a quick conclusion, but I think the band is definitely on to something here, combining all kinds of influences amounting to some pretty good results. It doesn't have as much identity as Chaos A.D. or Roots, but it's definitely an engaging listen. They're not sounding tired at all. Love Kisser's guitar work and the drums in particular. It's apparent they're always keeping their ears open to whatever's going on in metal.
It's very much what I think. I would said that before if my english was better! :laugh:

Offline rumborak

• DT.net Veteran
« Reply #22 on: January 27, 2017, 09:55:24 AM »
Checked out Machine Messiah in the hope that it would be a cool cover version of the Yes tune. Bummer :(
"I liked when Myung looked like a women's figure skating champion."

Offline RodrigoAltaf

« Reply #23 on: April 09, 2017, 08:43:25 PM »
This is the first Sepultura album I listened to since Dante XXIII, and I'm glad I did!!! As a Brazilian, I'm really proud that they're able to put out an album of such calibre.