Author Topic: How do you deal with lowsy project members?  (Read 2458 times)

Offline Train of Naught

• I sympathize, with a cockroach
  • .....and a cockroach
How do you deal with lowsy project members?
« on: January 14, 2017, 07:05:30 AM »
I'm sure everyones experiences this situation at least once in their lifetime.

For a course based around negotiation and management skills, we were grouped into teams of three. So one of them has actually become quite a good friend of mine though he is kinda timid and rarely speaks his mind. The other one is a girl who is also pretty shy and simply agrees with everything you say/propose without having any input of her own.

On monday, we have a final (fictional) business meeting in which we negotiate a deal with another party (other classmates). I have done all the background research, made notes of every point that has to be addressed, got all the numbers written out for financial details etc. Needless to say, I'm more than prepared for this. But the other two haven't even started on it and seem to be ignoring everything I tell them in the group chat we made.

I have never gone to a teacher to point out sloppy performances by team members, since I kind of have this neutral personality where I like to keep everyone 'befriended' and have a hard time disappointing anyone. I'm on the verge of doing it, because I keep asking them for their progress and they never respond.

However, if we were graded as a group for this, I would have gone to the teacher with this a looong time ago. In this case I am doubtful because we are graded individually, and I feel like maybe it's a better alternative for them to show up Monday with no idea what to say, so I can do all the work and show the teacher that they have been a lowsy team all along. The third and last option would be to tell him this but wait for him to take action until after the meeting.

a) Contact the teacher to let him know that my team has not been putting in any effort whatsoever and request to do the final meeting on my own.
b) Keep my mouth shut and let them face the facts. If they have been as lowsy as they seem on the surface, they will get a failing grade and they might realize their faulty behaviour themselves.
c) Contact the teacher to let him know that my team has not been putting in any effort, but keep the final meeting as it is, so he can judge for himself.
people on this board are actual music fans who developed taste in music and not casual listeners who are following current fashion trends and listening to only current commercial hits.

Offline sneakyblueberry

• put me in coach
  • DTF.org Member
Re: How do you deal with lowsy project members?
« Reply #1 on: January 14, 2017, 07:14:26 AM »
I have been in the situation and went with B.  mine was a presentation and the lecturer could see through the presentation that the other two were mud and I was the only one who put in any effort.  she pulled me aside after it and asked me about it, and raised my grade.  i would probably do the same thing again in the same situation, but would go to the teacher afterward if they didnt give me the grade i thought i deserved.

Offline Train of Naught

• .....and a cockroach
« Reply #2 on: January 14, 2017, 10:37:33 AM »
Yes, I will most likely do the same
people on this board are actual music fans who developed taste in music and not casual listeners who are following current fashion trends and listening to only current commercial hits.

Offline Phoenix87x

• From the ashes
  • The Phoenix shall rise
« Reply #3 on: January 14, 2017, 03:23:28 PM »
I hate group projects.

After being consistently let down, I have learned to just cut out the middle men and just do the whole damn thing myself. I don't rat to the teacher, I just do it, get it done and move on with my life. I know it sucks, but If you want something done right, you have to do it yourself.

Offline Anguyen92

« Reply #4 on: January 14, 2017, 06:55:37 PM »
I never really had a situation like that.  All the group projects I've had, I had good communication with everyone and everyone did their part.  There was one project, though, where a teammate told me that he felt that another teammate was not really contributing to the project and we were about three day from presenting and he asked me what should he do.  I stated we got to keep communicating and tell our teammate to get busy and not stop sending texts and calls until we are sure that her piece of the project is on Google Drive and is in progress.

Offline rumborak

• DT.net Veteran
« Reply #5 on: January 14, 2017, 08:11:47 PM »
I hate to say this, but it continues like that during the rest of your professional life. I have been working for. 15 years in my industry, and there have only been rare moments where I didn't have to deal with a dud here and there. When it gets out of hand you leave of course, but a steady low level of hacks is normal.
"I liked when Myung looked like a women's figure skating champion."

Offline Prog Snob

• DT.net Veteran
  • In the end we're left infinitely and utterly alone
« Reply #6 on: January 14, 2017, 10:16:19 PM »

Offline Train of Naught

• .....and a cockroach
« Reply #7 on: January 15, 2017, 03:58:44 AM »
There was one project, though, where a teammate told me that he felt that another teammate was not really contributing to the project and we were about three day from presenting and he asked me what should he do.
I was in this situation during the very first project of the year. All ended well, but that very same person is in this group as well. :lol

I hate to say this, but it continues like that during the rest of your professional life. I have been working for. 15 years in my industry, and there have only been rare moments where I didn't have to deal with a dud here and there. When it gets out of hand you leave of course, but a steady low level of hacks is normal.
I guess I realize that now, yeah. I kind of see this as a learning experience too, because at the start of the school year I told myself I want to become a better leader. It's not working out ideally as we speak because, well, this whole situation. :lol But I do feel I'm improving, better get used to it if it's going to be like this for the rest of my professional life hehe.

Offline home

• Sound is the factor which holds it together
« Reply #8 on: January 15, 2017, 05:08:33 AM »
I always go with B, usually works out, I had a presentation monday and one of the people in my group just had no idea what she was talking about. It was almost pretty funny since the teacher kept asking her questions about what she was telling and she couldn't answer anything. Glad it wasn't for a grade though.

I'm glad to have mostly pretty motivated people in my year I guess. Though there was one really terrible case where we had to write an essay as a group and one the persons in my group commited plagiarsm and our whole group had to appear before the exam committee.  >:(
Break the mold, let's shake the ground, wreak havoc!

Offline Train of Naught

• .....and a cockroach
« Reply #9 on: January 15, 2017, 05:37:06 AM »
Wow, and you're in third year right? In the third year of my course, only 10 students remain, so I expect them to at least be somewhat serious. But yeah, it's only one day until the meeting so option B is starting to look like the most optimal choice for me. I might report back here tomorrow.

Though there was one really terrible case where we had to write an essay as a group and one the persons in my group commited plagiarsm and our whole group had to appear before the exam committee.  >:(
:lol did you at least rat out the person who did it in this case? I mean, no way you are taking the fall for that right?

Offline home

• Sound is the factor which holds it together
« Reply #10 on: January 15, 2017, 08:38:41 AM »
Wow, and you're in third year right? In the third year of my course, only 10 students remain, so I expect them to at least be somewhat serious. But yeah, it's only one day until the meeting so option B is starting to look like the most optimal choice for me. I might report back here tomorrow.

Though there was one really terrible case where we had to write an essay as a group and one the persons in my group commited plagiarsm and our whole group had to appear before the exam committee.  >:(
:lol did you at least rat out the person who did it in this case? I mean, no way you are taking the fall for that right?

Yeah, but the exam committee claimed we were all responsible for the final product. They knew it was just one person, since only one part of the essay consisted of (mostly) copied sentences. We were luckily allowed to redo the essay, commiting plagiarsm can end a lot worse than that  :P

And yeah in the third year most people are quite motivated but there are always those few persons not doing anything.
Break the mold, let's shake the ground, wreak havoc!

Offline millahh

• Retired Pedantic Bastard
  • Moderator Emeritus
  • RIP Mark
« Reply #11 on: January 15, 2017, 10:50:16 AM »
B...it is just part of life, and the sooner you learn to accept and manage it the better.  But also, learn to give people enough rope with which to hang themselves.
Quote from: parallax
WHEN WILL YOU ADRESS MY MONKEY ARGUMENT???? NEVER???? THAT\' WHAT I FIGURED.:lol

Offline KevShmev

• EZBoard Elder
« Reply #12 on: January 15, 2017, 10:59:49 AM »
I hate to say this, but it continues like that during the rest of your professional life.

True that. 

To share a recent personal story, the sub-department I have been in at work has four of us.  One is a nice guy, but can be a bit of a slacker at times and his numbers are often lacking (profit margin, for example).  Now, the last three months, the guy in our sub-department who has been there for two decades has missed a lot of time due to health issues, and in his absence. we all had to do more.  I apparently killed it, which was recognized by my boss, who gave me a significant raise two months ago and as well as mad verbal and written (on my annual review) props. Meanwhile, the slacker guy was actually suspended for a week at one point because his work just wasn't up to par and was apparently told that vast improvement was needed ASAP.  It was irritating on those days where we had a lot to do, since I felt like I had to do the most work, but I am lucky to work for a great company and great boss who recognizes such things.  I get that everywhere is not like that, so I am very lucky.

Moral of the story: we are now here in January, and the slacker guy is leaving for another job this month, while I was recently promoted.  Hard work does pay off, sometimes.  :metal :metal

Offline millahh

• Moderator Emeritus
  • RIP Mark
« Reply #13 on: January 15, 2017, 11:19:33 AM »
I hate to say this, but it continues like that during the rest of your professional life.

True that. 

To share a recent personal story, the sub-department I have been in at work has four of us.  One is a nice guy, but can be a bit of a slacker at times and his numbers are often lacking (profit margin, for example).  Now, the last three months, the guy in our sub-department who has been there for two decades has missed a lot of time due to health issues, and in his absence. we all had to do more.  I apparently killed it, which was recognized by my boss, who gave me a significant raise two months ago and as well as mad verbal and written (on my annual review) props. Meanwhile, the slacker guy was actually suspended for a week at one point because his work just wasn't up to par and was apparently told that vast improvement was needed ASAP.  It was irritating on those days where we had a lot to do, since I felt like I had to do the most work, but I am lucky to work for a great company and great boss who recognizes such things.  I get that everywhere is not like that, so I am very lucky.

Moral of the story: we are now here in January, and the slacker guy is leaving for another job this month, while I was recently promoted.  Hard work does pay off, sometimes.  :metal :metal

This is the other side of it...most bosses aren't dumb, and they know who their slackers and rock stars are.  Yeah, the slackers can make life difficult, but they do create an opportunity to kick some ass and build out your own experience and confidence, which will put you on a better trajectory, either at your current company, or you can leverage it into a better position outside.  Sometimes the slackers get what's coming to them, sometimes they don't, but your career can be better for it as long as you don't just get resigned to the idea that there's nothing you can do about it.
WHEN WILL YOU ADRESS MY MONKEY ARGUMENT???? NEVER???? THAT\' WHAT I FIGURED.:lol

Offline Train of Naught

• .....and a cockroach
« Reply #14 on: January 15, 2017, 10:13:03 PM »

True that. 

This is the other side of it...most bosses aren't dumb, and they know who their slackers and rock stars are.  Yeah, the slackers can make life difficult, but they do create an opportunity to kick some ass and build out your own experience and confidence, which will put you on a better trajectory, either at your current company, or you can leverage it into a better position outside.  Sometimes the slackers get what's coming to them, sometimes they don't, but your career can be better for it as long as you don't just get resigned to the idea that there's nothing you can do about it.
That does seem promising.. I've been hoping to gain some recognition by the teacher for future notice with this project. But even if I don't, I think I can manage simply by having the satisfaction of doing a better job and taking responsibility for a project I'm involved in, even if that means doing some extra work. Shows myself that I really am motivated enough to pull through with this course.

Offline Stadler

• DTF.org Alumni
  • Pointing out the "unfunny" since 2014!
« Reply #15 on: January 16, 2017, 02:23:23 PM »
I think Millahh did a great job here, and to the extent that I'm repeating him, I'll say...

The real world is chock full of projects where you'll be pulling the weight and the slackers will be riding the coattails.  If you're as good as you say (and I have no reason to doubt you) you better get used to it, because it won't end when you graduate.

Also, while you'd never know it from the threads around here ("I'm awesome, my boss sucks, I don't know how they got to that level, but if they only implemented my awesome ideas, we'd be Apple!") the VAST majority of bosses know who's carrying the load and who's not.   

Offline Train of Naught

• .....and a cockroach
« Reply #16 on: January 17, 2017, 03:31:52 AM »
Yeah, you're right.

In fact, I had the meeting yesterday and I just decided to man up. No complaints or anything, just went with it. One of them actually did a good job of doing some background research and helped me during the meeting as well, taking over while I was doing calculations and stuff. The other did not say a SINGLE word during the entire thing and didn't do anything in general (also went to the bathroom right before the meeting and missed the first 2 minutes of it). After the meeting, the teacher recognized the division of workload and told me I did a fantastic job and could have done the entire thing without the others, and Ms. Quiet probably has to retake the assignment since there's no proof of her involvement whatsoever.

It felt really good, best case of justice I've experienced in a long while. :metal

Offline Bolsters

• Lost Boy
  • DTF.org Member
  • What a hell of a day to embrace disorder
« Reply #17 on: January 17, 2017, 03:33:43 AM »
 :metal

Offline millahh

• Moderator Emeritus
  • RIP Mark
« Reply #18 on: January 17, 2017, 05:05:31 AM »
 :xbones  :metal  :xbones

Offline millahh

• Moderator Emeritus
  • RIP Mark
« Reply #19 on: January 17, 2017, 12:04:58 PM »
As I think about it, there's another aspect to this that i can now put my finger on (and which you handled well)...whether it's kindergarten or in the professional world, no one really likes a tattle-tail (ethical/legal matters notwithstanding).  There's quite a bit to be said for proving you can handle your shit when you have some team members/coworkers who aren't pulling their weight.  That's not to say that escalation is inappropriate under the banner of "resource constraints", or that disagreements on tactics/strategy (from someone just being difficult) shouldn't go to management for help resolving...those are opportunities to show leadership, in fact.  But always frame it as concern for the project outcome, not about fairness.

Offline Train of Naught

• .....and a cockroach
« Reply #20 on: January 18, 2017, 06:01:40 AM »
That's not to say that escalation is inappropriate under the banner of "resource constraints", or that disagreements on tactics/strategy (from someone just being difficult) shouldn't go to management for help resolving...those are opportunities to show leadership, in fact. 
Wise words there man, especially this part pretty much summarized what I've learned from all of this. I came out of this project stronger and I see this as a headstart for the next term which concerns negotiation related topics.

Offline Chino

• Be excellent to each other.
  • DT.net Veteran
« Reply #21 on: January 18, 2017, 06:02:55 AM »
When I was in school, I was my only priority. If someone in the group sucked, I just let it go and did overtime. My GPA was more important to me.

Offline Stadler

• DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #22 on: January 18, 2017, 07:22:44 AM »
When I was in school, I was my only priority. If someone in the group sucked, I just let it go and did overtime. My GPA was more important to me.

Which is kind of my attitude at work.   I don't know if it's actually accurate or not, but I take the approach that bosses don't give a fuck about the sausage making, they're just interested in the sausage.   I do, though, make it a point to get facetime with my bosses and TALK about the stuff we do, so they know I know what the hell I'm talking about (and let them figure out who did what).

I also have taken to telling every boss - straight out like this, no euphemisms, no code - that "When someone puts something on your desk you don't quite know what to do with, or that you know HAS to be done right the first time, I want to be the guy you turn to.  I don't even want you to THINK about it, I want you to flip it to me."      I don't have a burning need to be THE NUMBER 1; I'm happy being the number two guy that is indispensable.   I'm the Dave Murray of my work.  :)

Offline millahh

• Moderator Emeritus
  • RIP Mark
« Reply #23 on: January 18, 2017, 08:00:28 AM »

Which is kind of my attitude at work.   I don't know if it's actually accurate or not, but I take the approach that bosses don't give a fuck about the sausage making, they're just interested in the sausage.   I do, though, make it a point to get facetime with my bosses and TALK about the stuff we do, so they know I know what the hell I'm talking about (and let them figure out who did what).

I also have taken to telling every boss - straight out like this, no euphemisms, no code - that "When someone puts something on your desk you don't quite know what to do with, or that you know HAS to be done right the first time, I want to be the guy you turn to.  I don't even want you to THINK about it, I want you to flip it to me."      I don't have a burning need to be THE NUMBER 1; I'm happy being the number two guy that is indispensable.   I'm the Dave Murray of my work.  :)

So by this analogy, ToN's "silent partner" is Janick Gers?   :biggrin:

I suppose it depends on the situation and industry, but at least some bosses care to a degree about how the sausage gets made.  They do want to know how they can count on when things get tough or circumstances change, they do want to be just in their promotions and selections for key assignments, and it's very important for succession planning.  You've gotta know who you can trust.

Offline cramx3

• Chillest of the chill
  • DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #24 on: January 18, 2017, 09:57:08 AM »
As with others have said, this is life.  Get used to it.  But really, this will make you stronger in the end.  Just might need to put in more effort, which does suck, but will prepare you better for the future. I also don't think you should go to the teacher unless at the end, your grade was reflected on their work and it hurts you.  As others have said, most teachers/bosses are pretty aware of who's doing what and can figure out who's making the valuable contributions so you really shouldn't have to escalate to a boss/teacher.  Just keep pushing through and try to not let the slackers get to you.

Offline Stadler

• DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #25 on: January 18, 2017, 09:58:34 AM »
So by this analogy, ToN's "silent partner" is Janick Gers?   :biggrin:

HAHA!  That is KILLER! Nicely done!   :) :) :)

Offline Skeever

« Reply #26 on: January 19, 2017, 08:55:33 AM »
On monday, we have a final (fictional) business meeting in which we negotiate a deal with another party (other classmates). I have done all the background research, made notes of every point that has to be addressed, got all the numbers written out for financial details etc. Needless to say, I'm more than prepared for this. But the other two haven't even started on it and seem to be ignoring everything I tell them in the group chat we made.

You know, I'm pretty sure this is the most accurate description of a (real life) business meeting I have ever read. Consider it training for the real world, bud. Stick with your mentality and you will go far. Out there is just like in class - the people who phoned it in because it "didn't matter" in college are the same who find other excuses to phone it in when they've got a cozy salary.

Offline Train of Naught

• .....and a cockroach
« Reply #27 on: January 19, 2017, 09:58:05 AM »
I appreciate it :tup I'm more motivated than ever right now so I will definitely stick with this mentality.

Offline rumborak

• DT.net Veteran
« Reply #28 on: January 19, 2017, 04:51:26 PM »
There's also the interesting aspect of, "the world needs trench diggers". I don't use it regularly, but I certainly have more than once uttered the phrase "I don't think that's a good use of my time",:which is of course code for "get an idiot to work on this, that's beneath me".
So, it's an odd balance of shining against your peers (which is awesome), and at the same time being frustrated working with them.
"I liked when Myung looked like a women's figure skating champion."

Offline King Postwhore

• Couch Potato
  • DTF.org Alumni
  • Take that Beethoven, you deaf bastard!!
« Reply #29 on: January 19, 2017, 04:58:57 PM »
I blame that person for not being a team player and getting that other person engaged.  I see it every day.  I make this much and another person that works the weekend shift gets a shift differential and almost makes as much as me!  The supervisor!

I then point out that he has Friday through Sunday off and gets 40 hours compared to 34.5 hours. Hence the differential.

People sometimes put their self worth over what is really important,  or bettering or helping others.
I don't like country music, but I don't mean to denigrate those who do. And for the people who like country music, denigrate means 'put down'.” - Bob Newhart
So wait, we're spelling it wrong and king is spelling it right? What is going on here? :lol -- BlobVanDam
"Oh, I am definitely a jackass!" - TAC