Author Topic: The unluckiest musicians ever  (Read 8659 times)

Offline TAC

• DTF.org Alumni
  • Arthritic Metal Horns
Re: The unluckiest musicians ever
« Reply #70 on: January 19, 2017, 07:30:20 PM »
For Def Leppard, it's Joe Elliott.   I got into them with High n Dry, and still wish (a little bit) that they'd kept the harder edges, but they didn't, and yet, I still buy every record, because I feel like they made the commitment.   They didn't ditch Rick when he got hurt, they didn't ditch Steve when he was clearly taking his own road, they didn't ditch Viv when he got sick... and yet, they still tour arenas without an album, and when they do put out an album, it still moves a decent number of units (albeit not Hysteria numbers).  I dunno; we talk a lot here about "in a perfect world, Stephen Wilson (or insert your own obscure prog musician) would be where Taylor Swift is" and I personally think that's a bullshit argument, but I think Def Leppard is that case.  Good guys, decent human beings, and they hit it big without too many compromises (Pyromania and Hysteria are poppier, but I don't view them as "compromises"; in fact, they were pretty big risks at the time).

I also got into them with High n Dry. Still a favorite of mine. Pyromania was my first concert! Though I saw the Hysteria tour a number of times, I thought that album was terrible. I've given them a number of chances over the years, but their albums are unlistenable to me.
Though I will say I made it through their most recent album on Spotify without puking.
would have thought the same thing but seeing the OP was TAC i immediately thought Maiden or DT related
Winger Theater Forums........or WTF.  ;D
TAC got a higher score than me in the electronic round? Honestly, can I just drop out now? :lol

Offline Stadler

• DTF.org Alumni
  • Pointing out the "unfunny" since 2014!
« Reply #71 on: January 20, 2017, 07:43:57 AM »
For Def Leppard, it's Joe Elliott.   I got into them with High n Dry, and still wish (a little bit) that they'd kept the harder edges, but they didn't, and yet, I still buy every record, because I feel like they made the commitment.   They didn't ditch Rick when he got hurt, they didn't ditch Steve when he was clearly taking his own road, they didn't ditch Viv when he got sick... and yet, they still tour arenas without an album, and when they do put out an album, it still moves a decent number of units (albeit not Hysteria numbers).  I dunno; we talk a lot here about "in a perfect world, Stephen Wilson (or insert your own obscure prog musician) would be where Taylor Swift is" and I personally think that's a bullshit argument, but I think Def Leppard is that case.  Good guys, decent human beings, and they hit it big without too many compromises (Pyromania and Hysteria are poppier, but I don't view them as "compromises"; in fact, they were pretty big risks at the time).

I also got into them with High n Dry. Still a favorite of mine. Pyromania was my first concert! Though I saw the Hysteria tour a number of times, I thought that album was terrible. I've given them a number of chances over the years, but their albums are unlistenable to me.
Though I will say I made it through their most recent album on Spotify without puking.

For whatever reason, I loved Hysteria.  I had all the 7" singles, with the excellent b-sides, and carried around a cassette tape that I later dubbed into .mp3 so I could listen in the car (they were finally released on the expanded Hysteria).   Some of the recent stuff, well, there's always one or two songs that are a little too... radio for me, but I like pop music, and they write good melodies, so there is always a song or two that surprises. 

It wasn't my first ever, but probably one of the first, I saw them OPEN for Billy Squier, and as good as Squier was (I'm a big fan of him as well) Leppard blew them off the stage.  It wasn't even close, in my opinion. 

Offline dparrott

« Reply #72 on: January 20, 2017, 08:28:03 AM »
The only one I can think of is Cliff Burton. 
"I don't know nuttin about nuttin" - Marshawn Lynch

The very soul of what was once real music is now lost in a digital quagmire of emotionless sonic madness.

Offline Lowdz

« Reply #73 on: January 20, 2017, 09:06:22 AM »

For whatever reason, I loved Hysteria.  I had all the 7" singles, with the excellent b-sides, and carried around a cassette tape that I later dubbed into .mp3 so I could listen in the car (they were finally released on the expanded Hysteria).   Some of the recent stuff, well, there's always one or two songs that are a little too... radio for me, but I like pop music, and they write good melodies, so there is always a song or two that surprises. 

It wasn't my first ever, but probably one of the first, I saw them OPEN for Billy Squier, and as good as Squier was (I'm a big fan of him as well) Leppard blew them off the stage.  It wasn't even close, in my opinion.

I like them. Haven't liked an album since Adrenalize though. I had the first album when it came out, having liked Get Ya Rocks Off on the Axe Attack compilation.

Offline DragonAttack

• DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #74 on: January 20, 2017, 05:52:05 PM »
Syd Barrett
Pete Best
Tracii Guns
Brian Jones and many other 27 year olds....

and Spinal Tap

A shame one can't check mark a 'like' for posts.  This one cracked me up.  Well done.
« Last Edit: January 20, 2017, 05:57:35 PM by DragonAttack »
...going along with Dragon Attack's Queen thread has been like taking a free class in Queen knowledge. Where else are you gonna find info like that?!

Offline Progmetty

• DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #75 on: January 22, 2017, 08:49:19 PM »
The founder of Savatage and TSO.
I wouldn't want somebody with 18 kids to mow my damn lawn, based on a longstanding bias I have against crazy fucks.