Author Topic: The unluckiest musicians ever  (Read 8639 times)

Offline gmillerdrake

• Proud Father.....Blessed Husband
  • DTF.org Alumni
  • 1 Timothy 2:5
Re: The unluckiest musicians ever
« Reply #35 on: January 16, 2017, 10:57:17 PM »
I'd say James Labrie. I love James and DT isn't DT without him...he's a part of their sound. But that food poisoning that ruptured his chords from vomiting so severely was just horrid luck. He was in a no win situation with them set to tour for AWAKE and the Dr. telling him NOT to sing for an extended period of time. He did...doing it for the band (and I assume his livelihood) and it forever altered his voice...his instrument.

I've enjoyed and love every musical output from DT and James....even James side stuff.....but you have to wonder what would have been had he not gotten food poisoning as far as the strength of his voice.

Honestly, I think his whole vocal incident thing has been blown way out of proportion. Yes, it affected the few years since it happened, but he has himself admitted a long time ago that he completely recovered. It's not like he'd sound like he did on I&W. If the accident never happened, he'd most likely sound exactly like he does right now.
Agreed, Adami. It's become this legendary event among many DT fans, but it's not like we're talking about Bo Jackson destroying his hip or something.

By now I think he has healed as much as he is ever going to, but that is not to say it healed to the full capacity that it was before the incident. Sometimes things never go back to 100% regardless of how much time has passed. I'm not talking about his singing, but his actual vocal cord.

Sure it's healed by now or even after a couple years, but there's no way it didn't impact his ability. It was a pretty big injury. Did he recover and learn how to reuse and retrain his voice, yeah. But it did cost him....what and how much we will never know.
Without Faith.....Without Hope.....There can be No Peace of Mind

Offline Adami

• Moderator of awesomeness
« Reply #36 on: January 16, 2017, 10:59:36 PM »
Sure, but like I said, the James we hear now is pretty much how he'd sound if there were no accident. The FII and SFAM tours may have been a bit better though.

The rest of it was James not taking care of his voice in the early 2000's.

How do I know he'd sound the same? I asked Hef (PBUH), and in his drunken state, he unwittingly shared with me a glimpse into his cosmic awareness.
fanticide.bandcamp.com

Offline Prog Snob

• DT.net Veteran
  • In the end we're left infinitely and utterly alone
« Reply #37 on: January 16, 2017, 11:18:27 PM »
I'd say James Labrie. I love James and DT isn't DT without him...he's a part of their sound. But that food poisoning that ruptured his chords from vomiting so severely was just horrid luck. He was in a no win situation with them set to tour for AWAKE and the Dr. telling him NOT to sing for an extended period of time. He did...doing it for the band (and I assume his livelihood) and it forever altered his voice...his instrument.

I've enjoyed and love every musical output from DT and James....even James side stuff.....but you have to wonder what would have been had he not gotten food poisoning as far as the strength of his voice.

Honestly, I think his whole vocal incident thing has been blown way out of proportion. Yes, it affected the few years since it happened, but he has himself admitted a long time ago that he completely recovered. It's not like he'd sound like he did on I&W. If the accident never happened, he'd most likely sound exactly like he does right now.
Agreed, Adami. It's become this legendary event among many DT fans, but it's not like we're talking about Bo Jackson destroying his hip or something.

By now I think he has healed as much as he is ever going to, but that is not to say it healed to the full capacity that it was before the incident. Sometimes things never go back to 100% regardless of how much time has passed. I'm not talking about his singing, but his actual vocal cord.

Sure it's healed by now or even after a couple years, but there's no way it didn't impact his ability. It was a pretty big injury. Did he recover and learn how to reuse and retrain his voice, yeah. But it did cost him....what and how much we will never know.

I'm agreeing with you. Unless you're just echoing my sentiments. I'm just saying that nobody here can say that his vocal cord healed to where it was before the incident, unless they're staring at a before and after of the cords themselves.

Offline gmillerdrake

• Proud Father.....Blessed Husband
  • DTF.org Alumni
  • 1 Timothy 2:5
« Reply #38 on: January 17, 2017, 08:19:45 AM »

I'm agreeing with you. Unless you're just echoing my sentiments. I'm just saying that nobody here can say that his vocal cord healed to where it was before the incident, unless they're staring at a before and after of the cords themselves.

Echoing..... :tup

And Adami, I agree his voice would be more or less the same as this point due to age and use, but I do think he was robbed in a way of a few years there where his output could have been different. Especially live. I'd be willing to bet some of the lack of effort in maintaining and developing his voice came from a bit of depression and him lamenting over the injury.
Without Faith.....Without Hope.....There can be No Peace of Mind

Offline Stadler

• DTF.org Alumni
  • Pointing out the "unfunny" since 2014!
« Reply #39 on: January 17, 2017, 09:05:16 AM »
:hefdaddyu
Jason Becker

God bless him.

Was coming here to post this(apart from the God bless bit - I think it's pretty poor to say such a thing when if there is a God he is to blame for it in the first place) and say you can lock the thread. I know you Americans  won't agree but proof that there is no god. Or there is a God and he was jealous of jason's talent?

How do you know it's not a blessing? How do you know he's not being used as an inspiration for others to pursue their talent?  How do you know that there's not a bigger purpose?

Using that one event as proof of whether there is a God or not simply shows how little we as humans can see of the bigger picture.

Show me even the slightest bit of proof for any of this and I'll consider it. But that's against the rules. And someone has to suffer for this? Your god is sick and twisted if that is the case. Jason inspired many without having this curse, and he's inspired many, including me, with his response to it, which might sound like it supports your idea. But that is a really sick idea and it amazes me that religious people can think that their god choosing to do something this awful to someone for the benefit o others is ok

I'm not at all arguing the existence (or not) of God.  I am saying that you (and not YOU personally, but ANY human) is likely not in the position to be making all the pronouncements that you (personally) are making.  You a) have incomplete information, and b) are fallible.  I have no idea if there is a God or not (I do believe there is) and am not at all interested in proving to anyone whether there is or not.  I am, though, fascinated by the persistent - and as unsubstantiated as the existence (or not) of God - belief that YOU of all people, understand the cosmic balance enough to determine - without your own proof - that somehow "Jason is suffering at the hands of a cruel God" and that there is not some cosmic offset somewhere else.

Again, not arguing at all about God.   Arguing that you - because of your species - is incapable of making the definitive conclusions that you are making.   Read Stephen King's 11/22/63 if you question what I'm saying.

Offline MirrorMask

« Reply #40 on: January 17, 2017, 09:38:08 AM »
And Adami, I agree his voice would be more or less the same as this point due to age and use, but I do think he was robbed in a way of a few years there where his output could have been different. Especially live. I'd be willing to bet some of the lack of effort in maintaining and developing his voice came from a bit of depression and him lamenting over the injury.

I agree with this. He was in his prime and the incident robbed him of a successful line of albums and tours sang the Live at the Marquee (or a little less insane) way.
I use my sig to pimp some bands from Italy! Check out Elvenking (Power / Folk metal), Folkstone (Rock / Medieval metal), Arcana Opera (Gothic/Noir/Heavy metal) and the beautiful voice of Elisa!

Offline Lowdz

« Reply #41 on: January 17, 2017, 10:27:53 AM »
Jason Becker

God bless him.

Was coming here to post this(apart from the God bless bit - I think it's pretty poor to say such a thing when if there is a God he is to blame for it in the first place) and say you can lock the thread. I know you Americans  won't agree but proof that there is no god. Or there is a God and he was jealous of jason's talent?

How do you know it's not a blessing? How do you know he's not being used as an inspiration for others to pursue their talent?  How do you know that there's not a bigger purpose?

Using that one event as proof of whether there is a God or not simply shows how little we as humans can see of the bigger picture.

Show me even the slightest bit of proof for any of this and I'll consider it. But that's against the rules. And someone has to suffer for this? Your god is sick and twisted if that is the case. Jason inspired many without having this curse, and he's inspired many, including me, with his response to it, which might sound like it supports your idea. But that is a really sick idea and it amazes me that religious people can think that their god choosing to do something this awful to someone for the benefit o others is ok

I'm not at all arguing the existence (or not) of God.  I am saying that you (and not YOU personally, but ANY human) is likely not in the position to be making all the pronouncements that you (personally) are making.  You a) have incomplete information, and b) are fallible.  I have no idea if there is a God or not (I do believe there is) and am not at all interested in proving to anyone whether there is or not.  I am, though, fascinated by the persistent - and as unsubstantiated as the existence (or not) of God - belief that YOU of all people, understand the cosmic balance enough to determine - without your own proof - that somehow "Jason is suffering at the hands of a cruel God" and that there is not some cosmic offset somewhere else.

Again, not arguing at all about God.   Arguing that you - because of your species - is incapable of making the definitive conclusions that you are making.   Read Stephen King's 11/22/63 if you question what I'm saying.

Not looking to pick any fights, this certainly isn't the place for it and nothing good ever comes of it. I do get a bit carried away on the subject. i don't believe in god (surprise surprise  :biggrin:) and feel as strongly about that as religious people do their belief.
i dont have the knowledge to disprove god as you say, but where there is any attempt at proving a theory I'll take that over Blind Faith, every time. There, I brought it back to music at least.

Offline SoundscapeMN

« Reply #42 on: January 17, 2017, 11:10:04 AM »
Jimmy Gnecco and Ours

Considering a number of things:

1. He and what became his band Ours was pursued heavily by Major Labels for much of the 1990's, until he finally signed with Dreamworks and released their debut album Distorted Lullabies in 2001.

2. Jimmy sang on the Spiderman 2 Soundtrack for the song "Someone to Die For" with Brian May of all people.

3. Slash and Duff McCagan wanted to work with Jimmy Gnecco for many years, after playing some shows together. And when Scott Weiland left (got kicked out?) Velvet Revolver in 2008, there was some speculation he would join Velvet Revolver, including after a Benefit Gig not that long before Weiland rejoined.

4.  Jimmy Gnecco was well known among fans of Jeff Buckley, even though he only knew Jeff for a brief period and worked as a guitar tech for a little while. The Buckley fans got to know him well, and as Jeff Buckley became more well known since his death, Jimmy Gnecco's association with him would logically allow Jimmy and Ours to gain a lot more exposure, which they may have, but not to the same degree of Jeff Buckley's posthumous fame.

5. Lana Del Rey named a song after him, "Jimmy Necco" lol. As she's become more famous, you'd think that would have led to his own luck, even after Jimmy opened as a solo act for her. But has it? not exactly.

Offline jakepriest

« Reply #43 on: January 17, 2017, 11:23:54 AM »
mike portnoy                         :neverusethis:

Offline DragonAttack

• DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #44 on: January 17, 2017, 01:39:12 PM »
Pete Best was a good start.

Taking a different rout, I would say Syd Barrett and Sly Stone.

As to deaths, John Lennon, Freddie Mercury, some members and crew of Lynyrd Skynyrd , Terry Kath, Michael Hutchence, Randy Rhoads, Harry Chapin, Cozy Powell, and, of course, Jim, Jimi, Janis, Bonham, Moon......
...going along with Dragon Attack's Queen thread has been like taking a free class in Queen knowledge. Where else are you gonna find info like that?!

Offline Stadler

• DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #45 on: January 17, 2017, 03:15:09 PM »
Jason Becker

God bless him.

Not looking to pick any fights, this certainly isn't the place for it and nothing good ever comes of it. I do get a bit carried away on the subject. i don't believe in god (surprise surprise  :biggrin:) and feel as strongly about that as religious people do their belief.
i dont have the knowledge to disprove god as you say, but where there is any attempt at proving a theory I'll take that over Blind Faith, every time. There, I brought it back to music at least.

Haha, nicely done! 

No fight here; it's not personal, it's just a discussion of ideas (albeit one, as you note, that is probably in the wrong place).  I admire your beliefs, and the strength to which you believe them.  I really do.  I wish I did about God; I believe there is one, but I certainly do understand the counter argument.   I'm just fascinated by the discussion, because to me BOTH sides have to be very careful not to rely on rickety logical premises. 

Peace!  (And for the record, Blind Faith the band is woefully underrated, and Blind Faith the song is one of my favorites on the 6 Degrees album).

Offline RoeDent

• 2006 Time Magazine Person of the Year
« Reply #46 on: January 17, 2017, 03:28:32 PM »
Kevin Gilbert, anyone? Released one of the best prog-pop albums of the early 90s with Toy Matinee that went virtually unnoticed. Co-wrote All I Wanna Do which became a big hit for his ex-girlfriend. In the running to join Genesis, only to be found dead aged 29.

Offline SoundscapeMN

« Reply #47 on: January 17, 2017, 05:31:22 PM »
Kevin Gilbert, anyone? Released one of the best prog-pop albums of the early 90s with Toy Matinee that went virtually unnoticed. Co-wrote All I Wanna Do which became a big hit for his ex-girlfriend. In the running to join Genesis, only to be found dead aged 29.
100000000% agreed on Kevin, although I kind of have come to believe Kevin found his own fate, and had he not died, he would have not have worked best being famous. Kind of like Matt Mahaffey. Brilliant musician, whose been able to work in hollywood and with other musicians as much as making his own, on his own terms.

But the unlucky part of Kevin is his music still is out there to be found to a wider audience than it has. See people like Nick Drake or Jeff Buckley even, etc.

Offline CDrice

• I do art stuff
« Reply #48 on: January 17, 2017, 05:38:49 PM »
It's clearly Kotowboy

I've made £150 in total from all the music i've ever done :biggrin:

Offline Accelerando

• Disciple of Mark Tremonti
« Reply #49 on: January 17, 2017, 05:39:58 PM »
One that recently comes to mind....Ron "Bumblefoot" Thal. Solid guitarist who couldn't get his solo career together, then had a failed run with Guns N Roses, then started Art of Anarchy with Scott Weiland who then died and now has to deal with Scott Stapp as his lead vocalist  :lol

Offline bl5150

• DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #50 on: January 17, 2017, 05:45:39 PM »
One that recently comes to mind....Ron "Bumblefoot" Thal. Solid guitarist who couldn't get his solo career together, then had a failed run with Guns N Roses, then started Art of Anarchy with Scott Weiland who then died and now has to deal with Scott Stapp as his lead vocalist  :lol

Rose, Weiland, Stapp.

That's not bad luck , that's masochism  ;D
"I would just like to say that after all these years of heavy drinking, bright lights and late nights, I still don't need glasses. I drink right out of the bottle." - DLR

www.theguitardojo.com.au

Offline TempusVox

• Descendant of Primus
  • Global Moderator
« Reply #51 on: January 17, 2017, 09:06:25 PM »
Syd Barrett
Pete Best
Tracii Guns
Brian Jones and many other 27 year olds....
and Spinal Tap
You don't HAVE a soul.You ARE a soul.You HAVE a body.
"I came here to drink milk and kick ass; and I just finished my milk."

Offline Adami

• Moderator of awesomeness
« Reply #52 on: January 17, 2017, 09:10:23 PM »
Steven Adler.

Although I'm not sure self-sabotage=unlucky.
fanticide.bandcamp.com

Offline Mosh

• For I have dined on honeydew!
« Reply #53 on: January 17, 2017, 09:37:42 PM »
Hasn't he also had multiple bouts with cancer?
New Animal Soup scifi space opera for fans of Porcupine Tree, Mastodon, Iron Maiden: Chariots of the Gods

https://animalsoup.bandcamp.com/album/chariots-of-the-gods

Offline bundy

« Reply #54 on: January 18, 2017, 02:22:51 AM »
Syd Barrett
Pete Best
Tracii Guns
Brian Jones and many other 27 year olds....
and Spinal Tap

Steven Adler.

Although I'm not sure self-sabotage=unlucky.

Agree with that Adami. Poor lifestyle choices including ridiculously excessive consumption of drugs and alcohol, don't equate to being unlucky. That's why I wouldn't put the names above and others such as Bon Scott and Peter Green in the unluckiest musicians category.

Offline Stadler

• DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #55 on: January 18, 2017, 08:14:48 AM »
Hasn't he also had multiple bouts with cancer?

Yeah, I saw him with G'n'R in Philly on the Chinese Democracy "Club Tour" leg, and he clearly wasn't right, because he kept leaving the stage.  The band played over three hours nonstop (Axl only left the stage for Dizzy's solo piece and a short break before the encore) but Thal was off stage for entire songs, even longer.  He was on maybe half the set.   Though he did do his solo piece, and it was KILLER, best one of the night, in my opinion.   

Offline Train of Naught

• I sympathize, with a cockroach
  • .....and a cockroach
« Reply #56 on: January 19, 2017, 01:56:30 AM »
Just thought of an instance.

The two "other" guys in Animals As Leaders. Tosin Abasi is one of the most iconic figures in modern prog, and I (and many others) don't even know the names of the other guys. They're all incredibly talented but Tosin gets all the love.

That said, unlucky might be the wrong word for that.
people on this board are actual music fans who developed taste in music and not casual listeners who are following current fashion trends and listening to only current commercial hits.

Online Elite

• The 'other' Rich
  • DTF.org Alumni
  • also, a tin teardrop
« Reply #57 on: January 19, 2017, 02:27:56 AM »
^ isn't that usually the case with a band where there's a band-leader that gets all the attention? Abasi is just this insane guitarist that pretty much steals the show anyway and the same thing can be said about the casual Opeth or Steven Wilson fan. Hell, the latter's band changes so often that I sometimes get mixed up who's playing. Do you know the names of all the Devin Townsend Project members? Ulver members apart from Kristoffer Rygg?

But yeah, I have no idea who the other AAL-members are either :lol
Hey dude slow the fuck down so we can finish together at the same time.  :biggrin:
Squ
scRa are the resultaten of sound nog bring propey

Offline mikeyd23

« Reply #58 on: January 19, 2017, 07:14:04 AM »

The two "other" guys in Animals As Leaders. Tosin Abasi is one of the most iconic figures in modern prog, and I (and many others) don't even know the names of the other guys. They're all incredibly talented but Tosin gets all the love.

Hah, it's funny you say that. I saw a live video of Animals As Leaders the other day and my initial thought was "I'm here to watch Tosin" but I ended up being blown away by their drummer, he totally stole the show for me in that moment. I had no freaking clue who the guy was until I Googled him after that.  :lol

Offline Kotowboy

• Yes THAT Kotowboy.
  • DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #59 on: January 19, 2017, 07:21:09 AM »

Reminds me of the band Sacred Mother Tongue. Everyone wanks over Andy James and nobody else in the band ever gets a single mention.

Offline Kotowboy

• Yes THAT Kotowboy.
  • DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #60 on: January 19, 2017, 07:22:05 AM »
It's clearly Kotowboy

I've made £150 in total from all the music i've ever done :biggrin:

:emo: And DJs get paid thousands just to arrive at a beach and press play and wave they hands in the air like they just dont care

Offline jakepriest

« Reply #61 on: January 19, 2017, 07:26:48 AM »

The two "other" guys in Animals As Leaders. Tosin Abasi is one of the most iconic figures in modern prog, and I (and many others) don't even know the names of the other guys.
wow i used to like you

Offline Stadler

• DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #62 on: January 19, 2017, 09:05:10 AM »

Would it be a bad thing to suggest that calling Tosin Abasi "one of the most iconic figures in modern prog" a little bit of a stretch?   It's not as if he's a household name, or even a "oh, THAT guy!" in a band that people have heard and maybe just don't know the ins and outs.  Even with the limitation of "modern prog", I can think of five guys that probably deserve that mantle more. 

Offline T-ski

« Reply #63 on: January 19, 2017, 09:08:14 AM »
not that he doesn't have a successful music career, but......

Is all that we see or seem, but a dream within a dream?

Offline Kotowboy

• Yes THAT Kotowboy.
  • DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #64 on: January 19, 2017, 09:28:12 AM »
It's funny that Rick Allen designed a kit he could play with only one arm...

Yet his drum parts - any drummer could play one handed :p :p

4/4 backbeats at 120 BPM

Offline Train of Naught

• I sympathize, with a cockroach
  • .....and a cockroach
« Reply #65 on: January 19, 2017, 09:53:05 AM »

Would it be a bad thing to suggest that calling Tosin Abasi "one of the most iconic figures in modern prog" a little bit of a stretch?   It's not as if he's a household name, or even a "oh, THAT guy!" in a band that people have heard and maybe just don't know the ins and outs.  Even with the limitation of "modern prog", I can think of five guys that probably deserve that mantle more. 
Fair enough. Our definitions of modern prog probably vary a lot then.

Hah, it's funny you say that. I saw a live video of Animals As Leaders the other day and my initial thought was "I'm here to watch Tosin" but I ended up being blown away by their drummer, he totally stole the show for me in that moment. I had no freaking clue who the guy was until I Googled him after that.  :lol
I'm not too familiar with the band but the few videos I've seen of them on youtube, the drummer has great energy. And needless to say, he is incredibly talented, which should be a given for anyone who has been in that band some point in time.
people on this board are actual music fans who developed taste in music and not casual listeners who are following current fashion trends and listening to only current commercial hits.

Offline CDrice

• I do art stuff
« Reply #66 on: January 19, 2017, 10:14:27 AM »

The only reason I first found out their first names was because of the music video for Physical Education.  :lol

Offline Stadler

• DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #67 on: January 19, 2017, 12:46:57 PM »

4/4 backbeats at 120 BPM

Fair point in terms of the music, but I went years thinking that he was just using triggers and was little more than a DJ with a back beat back there.  But I saw them with Kiss last year (maybe the year before now?) and he played every note.   It wasn't Mangini, but it was really good, and when I explained to my daughter the back story (I can actually remember getting the news he was in an accident; at first the fear was he was dead) she was pretty damn impressed. 

Offline Lowdz

« Reply #68 on: January 19, 2017, 05:00:43 PM »

4/4 backbeats at 120 BPM

Fair point in terms of the music, but I went years thinking that he was just using triggers and was little more than a DJ with a back beat back there.  But I saw them with Kiss last year (maybe the year before now?) and he played every note.   It wasn't Mangini, but it was really good, and when I explained to my daughter the back story (I can actually remember getting the news he was in an accident; at first the fear was he was dead) she was pretty damn impressed.

It was pretty shocking at the time. I was at Donington Monsters of Rock when he made his comeback (I know he'd played a warm up gig first in Holland or somewhere). He got a pretty amazing response.

I'd say he was a fairly lucky musician rather than unlucky. The accident was his fault but the band could have ditched him. Many in their position would have. They were coming off the back of a huge album and that huge delay before Hysteria could have killed their momentum.

Def Leppard as a band were certainly unlucky in some respects (the crash, Steve Clarke's death - again self inflicted), but they were huge so I guess there's two sides to the luck coin.

Offline Stadler

• DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #69 on: January 19, 2017, 06:26:48 PM »
For me it makes them very likeable.   Every major band has to have their "asshole", or if you'd rather, the "backbone" (since I din't think any of these guys are "assholes" per se; the guy that makes the hard decisions, and pushes the band to the next level when they need it.  Maiden:  Steve Harris.   DT:  Mike Portnoy   Yes:  Jon Anderson   U2: Larry Mullen, Jr.   Bruce Springsteen:  Bruce Springsteen   Black Sabbath: Tony Iommi

For Def Leppard, it's Joe Elliott.   I got into them with High n Dry, and still wish (a little bit) that they'd kept the harder edges, but they didn't, and yet, I still buy every record, because I feel like they made the commitment.   They didn't ditch Rick when he got hurt, they didn't ditch Steve when he was clearly taking his own road, they didn't ditch Viv when he got sick... and yet, they still tour arenas without an album, and when they do put out an album, it still moves a decent number of units (albeit not Hysteria numbers).  I dunno; we talk a lot here about "in a perfect world, Stephen Wilson (or insert your own obscure prog musician) would be where Taylor Swift is" and I personally think that's a bullshit argument, but I think Def Leppard is that case.  Good guys, decent human beings, and they hit it big without too many compromises (Pyromania and Hysteria are poppier, but I don't view them as "compromises"; in fact, they were pretty big risks at the time).