Author Topic: IceFish - New Progressive Rock Project feat. Virgil Donati and Marco Sfogli  (Read 22943 times)

Offline Ben_Jamin

• I'm just a man, thrown into existence by the gods
Re: IceFish - New Progressive Rock Project feat. Virgil Donati and Marco Sfogli
« Reply #105 on: October 24, 2017, 09:52:14 AM »
I think you can only buy it on their website now: https://www.icefishband.com/

Apparently you can't simply pay with a credit card, it needs PayPal, which is really tedious.
There are samples of every song on their SoundCloud: https://soundcloud.com/icefishband

I'm gonna hold out on the purchase for now.

It says right there on the site...
"Pay via PayPal; you can pay with your credit card if you don’t have a PayPal account"
I don't know how they can be so proud of winning with them odds. - Little Big Man
Follow my Spotify:BjamminD

Offline goo-goo

« Reply #106 on: October 24, 2017, 10:49:30 AM »
I think it will be a few weeks before they go to the typical digital outlets. They are trying to maximize their profit for the digital sales if they do it through their website first.

Online jingle.boy

• I'm so ronery; so sad and ronery
  • DTF.org Alumni
  • DTF's resident deceased dictator
« Reply #107 on: October 24, 2017, 11:07:48 AM »

Apparently you can't simply pay with a credit card, it needs PayPal, which is really tedious.
There are samples of every song on their SoundCloud: https://soundcloud.com/icefishband

Ditto... 13 Euros is a bit steep.
That's a word salad - and take it from me, I know word salad
I fear for the day when something happens on the right that is SO nuts that even Stadler says "That's crazy".
Quote from: Puppies_On_Acid
Remember the mark of a great vocalist is if TAC hates them with a special passion

Online SwedishGoose

• DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #108 on: October 24, 2017, 11:33:48 AM »
I want a CD so I wait....

Offline Sycsa

« Reply #109 on: October 24, 2017, 02:27:28 PM »

It says right there on the site...
"Pay via PayPal; you can pay with your credit card if you don’t have a PayPal account"
Indeed, I only noticed the big "Proceed to PayPal" button. Still gonna wait for the eventual iTunes release.
I want a CD so I wait....
You can order the CD on their website.

Sycsa is perhaps the most brilliant and insightful man I have ever encountered.

Offline rumborak

• DT.net Veteran
« Reply #110 on: October 24, 2017, 05:50:05 PM »
Well, for what it's worth, you guys shouldn't wait too long. This album is really solid IMO. They strike a really good challenge between diehard prog and hooks.
"I liked when Myung looked like a women's figure skating champion."

Offline erwinrafael

« Reply #111 on: October 24, 2017, 06:05:36 PM »
They also showed how to be prog without writing epic long songs.

Offline Ben_Jamin

« Reply #112 on: October 24, 2017, 06:58:44 PM »
They also showed how to be prog without writing epic long songs.

I'll agree with this

Also...if it makes you happy. They only released the digital in Mp3 format. At first it was just 192kbps, now its 320kbps.
« Last Edit: October 24, 2017, 07:06:42 PM by Ben_Jamin »
I don't know how they can be so proud of winning with them odds. - Little Big Man

Offline 6 Degrees

« Reply #113 on: October 24, 2017, 07:30:21 PM »
Loving this. Donati is a monster, loved him in Planet X, jaw dropping performance the first time I ever saw him.

Sfogli is not only a brilliant guitar player, also one of the nicest, down-to-earth guys I have ever met.

Looking forward to getting this.

Offline rumborak

• DT.net Veteran
« Reply #114 on: October 27, 2017, 09:11:22 AM »
Unlike a certain other release, I keep returning to this record. There's maybe one or two mediocre tunes on there, but the rest is really strong.

Offline gzarruk

« Reply #115 on: October 27, 2017, 09:31:30 AM »
Unlike a certain other release, I keep returning to this record. There's maybe one or two mediocre tunes on there, but the rest is really strong.

The Vuur album is really good too  :metal
It sounds like, "ruk, ruk, ruk, ruk, ruk." Instead of the more pleasing kick drum sound of, "gzarruk, gzarruk, gzarruk, gzarruk."

Online Adami

• Moderator of awesomeness
« Reply #116 on: October 27, 2017, 12:53:52 PM »

You got a problem with the new Europe album brother?
fanticide.bandcamp.com

Online nobloodyname

• DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #117 on: October 27, 2017, 04:07:40 PM »

It's really not working for me. Have to stand by my original comment. I find it tuneless, soulless and a cacophony of noise.

I am so pleased they were afforded the opportunity to make the album, though.
Paul
Gamer, rocker, humanist, womble
Leicestershire, UK
Getting right out of my comfort zone: www.youtube.com/@paulplayspoorly Go on, you can do it, too! (24/3/2024: Now playing on Paul Plays Poorly!, The Answer Lies Within by Dream Theater)

Offline gzarruk

« Reply #118 on: October 28, 2017, 01:54:24 PM »
Giving my first listen to the album right now. I’m currently on track 5, and I’m really enjoying it so far. Sounds like very good, consistent prog metal, much better than what “the kings of prog” released last week.

My only complaint is that I find most of the keyboard lines/sounds distracting or even annoying, specially on the fast songs. I think Alex is a great player, but to me it seems like he overplayed on some songs.
It sounds like, "ruk, ruk, ruk, ruk, ruk." Instead of the more pleasing kick drum sound of, "gzarruk, gzarruk, gzarruk, gzarruk."

Offline erwinrafael

« Reply #119 on: October 28, 2017, 10:08:35 PM »
I was distracted at first with Argento's keys. Then I contextualized it, especially using Human Hardware and Paralyzed as exemplars which made me understand that this is not really a prog metal or even prog rock as I know it. Argento is using some Europop influence and it actually gave the band a distinct sound.

His soloing here is top notch. That solo in Human Hardware is amazing, technical but melodic. For some reason, Argento's solos here reminds me of Kevin Moore in Awake.

Offline gzarruk

« Reply #120 on: October 30, 2017, 12:36:05 PM »
Still need to check a couple other albums, but this one has very strong chances of becoming my album of the year. It just gets better the more I listen to it.

Also, I just love how they did a solid job promoting their album, without hyping the crap out of it, and ended up releasing, to me, one of the best albums of the year on the genere, versus SOA, who tried soooo hard to makes us believe their album was the most amazing thing ever, but ended up being nothing like that.

Offline erwinrafael

« Reply #121 on: October 31, 2017, 01:15:10 AM »
Definitely album of the year for me. I never thought that I would hear prog in short song format outside Rush and I never thought that I would hear prog that would have a distinct sound from all other prog acts. Then I heard this and exceeded my expectations.

I initially followed Icefish because of Donati. To my surprise, he did not dominate the album. Not because he did not play superbly. He did. It's just that his other bandmates were no slouches and delivered amazing performances as well.

Not really surprised by Sfogli, but I have to say that this is his best work yet. I love how he shifts to heavy riffing, to melodic solos, to shred, to funky rhythms with such ease.

Casali was unknown to me and when I saw the previews, I thought he would be overpowered by the music. He was not, and he sang beautifully with range and grit.

But the star for me here is Argento. It's his keys that really gave Icefish that distinct sound. He plays beautiful technical but melodic solos (Human Hardware is my favorite). He is involved in writing the songs that I really love (It Begins, Human Hardware, Paralyzed, The Pieces). And he mixed and mastered the album! He also did the artwork. What a talented guy.

Donati is fast rising up my list of favorite musicians. I think I finally found his place among the top 3 super-drummers of his generation. Mangini is the master of polyrhythms and orchestration. Marco is the master of feel and emotion. Donati is the master of creative rhythm combinations. 5 years is a drumming masterpiece.

Online SwedishGoose

• DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #122 on: October 31, 2017, 06:31:00 AM »
Based on what I read here and on the video I just bought the CD + digital.
Just got the download link. CD will take a few weeks.

Online jingle.boy

• I'm so ronery; so sad and ronery
  • DTF.org Alumni
  • DTF's resident deceased dictator
« Reply #123 on: October 31, 2017, 06:41:49 AM »
It's on iTunes now (though, not Spotify - at least not here in Canada).  I just did something I haven't done in a while... bought an album without hearing much/any of it.  All the fellating of it in this thread convinced me it was worth a $9 investment.   :lol
That's a word salad - and take it from me, I know word salad
I fear for the day when something happens on the right that is SO nuts that even Stadler says "That's crazy".
Quote from: Puppies_On_Acid
Remember the mark of a great vocalist is if TAC hates them with a special passion

Online Podaar

• DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #124 on: October 31, 2017, 08:34:07 AM »
I just bought it off Amazon digital. I'm looking forward to listening.

Edit- okay, The Pieces just blew my mind. The chorus is catchy, and holy shit there are moments where Andrea Casali sounds so much like Steve Walsh circa 1972. Tasty stuff.

Edit- First listen finished. I'm going to need a few more spins to really absorb the songs.

The biggest first impression is how wonderfully mixed the album is. Pick an instrument and you have no problem hearing it and following along. Second impression, Virgil is a fun as hell drummer to listen too. Third the keyboards are weird and wonderful. Fourth, 5 Years is a challenge to listen too with all the abrupt and startling riff/rhythm changes.
« Last Edit: October 31, 2017, 09:27:16 AM by Podaar »
"Religion poisons everything” — Christopher Hitchens

Offline nattmorker

« Reply #125 on: October 31, 2017, 09:34:18 AM »

Donati is fast rising up my list of favorite musicians. I think I finally found his place among the top 3 super-drummers of his generation. Mangini is the master of polyrhythms and orchestration. Marco is the master of feel and emotion. Donati is the master of creative rhythm combinations. 5 years is a drumming masterpiece.

Totally agree with this.

Offline gzarruk

« Reply #126 on: October 31, 2017, 01:56:32 PM »
Definitely album of the year for me. I never thought that I would hear prog in short song format outside Rush and I never thought that I would hear prog that would have a distinct sound from all other prog acts. Then I heard this and exceeded my expectations.

I initially followed Icefish because of Donati. To my surprise, he did not dominate the album. Not because he did not play superbly. He did. It's just that his other bandmates were no slouches and delivered amazing performances as well.

Not really surprised by Sfogli, but I have to say that this is his best work yet. I love how he shifts to heavy riffing, to melodic solos, to shred, to funky rhythms with such ease.

Casali was unknown to me and when I saw the previews, I thought he would be overpowered by the music. He was not, and he sang beautifully with range and grit.

Agree with all of this. This is a great album, only wish it was a bit longer (it's only 45 minutes)

Offline rumborak

• DT.net Veteran
« Reply #127 on: October 31, 2017, 04:24:09 PM »
Totally disagree on the length. The songs are as long as they make sense, and it is nice to see they called it a day when they did instead of forcing themselves to squeeze out some subpar material.

Offline erwinrafael

« Reply #128 on: October 31, 2017, 04:35:54 PM »
Well, because it is only 45 minutes long, I have listened to it more than 30 times now. So that's a plus.  :lol

I think they would have a harder time coming up with much more material. Based on interviews I read, they only really met physically just twice. Much of this album was produced long distance.

Offline Ben_Jamin

« Reply #129 on: October 31, 2017, 07:17:08 PM »
No need to force yourself to write more, just to fill up space on a cd.

Online Kyo

• Myung at Heart
« Reply #130 on: November 01, 2017, 06:16:09 AM »
I never thought that I would hear prog in short song format outside Rush

You should try Andromeda, particularly the Chimera album with songs like Going Under, Inner Circle, Periscope.
"Freedom in the 21st Century means being incommunicado."

Online Podaar

• DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #131 on: November 01, 2017, 06:22:18 AM »
You guys crack me up! gzarruk wishing there was more music does not equate to him wishing they would "force themselves to squeeze out some subpar material" or "force themselves to write more, just to fill up space on a cd". You gotta love DTF.  :lol

Online King Postwhore

• Couch Potato
  • DTF.org Alumni
  • Take that Beethoven, you deaf bastard!!
« Reply #132 on: November 01, 2017, 08:34:08 AM »
You guys crack me up! gzarruk wishing there was more music does not equate to him wishing they would "force themselves to squeeze out some subpar material" or "force themselves to write more, just to fill up space on a cd". You gotta love DTF.  :lol

You mean to tell me they didn't make a conscious effort to have shorter songs?  I feel ripped off! :lol
I don't like country music, but I don't mean to denigrate those who do. And for the people who like country music, denigrate means 'put down'.” - Bob Newhart
So wait, we're spelling it wrong and king is spelling it right? What is going on here? :lol -- BlobVanDam
"Oh, I am definitely a jackass!" - TAC

Offline erwinrafael

« Reply #133 on: November 01, 2017, 09:54:47 AM »
I never thought that I would hear prog in short song format outside Rush

You should try Andromeda, particularly the Chimera album with songs like Going Under, Inner Circle, Periscope.

Nah, it would nof compare. That album has some short songs, but the aveamrage is around 7 mnutes. It has a 12 minute song.

Icefish's album only has one song that exceeded 6 minutes. And that one song did not even exceed 7 minutes.

Offline gzarruk

« Reply #134 on: November 01, 2017, 10:42:32 AM »

You mean to tell me they didn't make a conscious effort to have shorter songs?  I feel ripped off! :lol

:lol I never said I wanted longer songs or that they should've included supbar material or anything like that. My observation was that the album, at only 45 minutes, feels a little short/ends too fast to me. A couple more tracks would've been great, to make it around 1 hour, but that's not something that bothers me or anything, this is my favorite release of 2017 :metal

Offline Ben_Jamin

« Reply #135 on: November 01, 2017, 12:21:50 PM »

:lol I never said I wanted longer songs or that they should've included supbar material or anything like that. My observation was that the album, at only 45 minutes, feels a little short/ends too fast to me. A couple more tracks would've been great, to make it around 1 hour, but that's not something that bothers me or anything, this is my favorite release of 2017 :metal

Yup. It does go fast. Especially if you're used to albums being really long. Hence my post saying what I said, unlike some other bands feeling they need to reach max capacity.

Offline Sycsa

« Reply #136 on: November 02, 2017, 06:51:23 AM »
All right, just got it for $7 on iTunes. Worth the wait. Can't wait to hear this.

Sycsa is perhaps the most brilliant and insightful man I have ever encountered.

Offline erwinrafael

« Reply #137 on: November 02, 2017, 04:37:31 PM »
Fourth, 5 Years is a challenge to listen too with all the abrupt and startling riff/rhythm changes.

I have been counting the time sigs of this song. I think Donati had a good time writing a song titled 5 years to a time sig of 5/4, 5/8, and 5/16.  :lol Except for Sfogli's solo which is in 6/8.

Online Podaar

• DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #138 on: November 02, 2017, 04:45:37 PM »
I'll admit it, I'm not feeling that song. It's the only one on the album that I'm tempted to skip. It's just too similar to being in a crowd of white Americans trying to clap a beat...and failing.

Offline NoseofNicko

« Reply #139 on: November 02, 2017, 07:38:45 PM »
Just bought it on iTunes based on the 1:30 samples. It sounds way more original than 90% of prog metal albums these days.
« Last Edit: November 02, 2017, 07:44:34 PM by NoseofNicko »