Author Topic: IceFish - New Progressive Rock Project feat. Virgil Donati and Marco Sfogli  (Read 22928 times)

Offline Bertielee

• RIP, Dad (1935-2017)
Virgil knows how to make accessible music, having played with Southern Sons and with Tina Arena. 😉

I didn't know it. At the same time, Greg Howe played with Enrique Iglesias if I remember it well.

B.Lee

Southern Sons were actually very very popular, and the debut album sold a bucketload.  Here's the big hit, it's pretty good and a bit of an Aussie classic.  There was a couple more hits of the album also.

Speaking of Tina Arena, the singer here Jack Jones was in the backing bad too I believe.  He could play the guitar alright, great voice too, very Farnham like.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Vy2gGNS6o78

Speaking of guitar guys in funny backing bands, don't forget Nuno playing for Rhianna, and also Andy Timmons playing for Olivia Newton John.

Thanks, wolfking, will check them out.

B.Lee
"Life is divided into two sets of people : people who have lost and people who haven't yet." George Michael

Offline bosk1

• King of Misdirection
  • Administrator
  • Bow down to Boskaryus
Not really excited about this, just from what has been posted so far.  But my opinion may change.
"The Supreme Court of the United States has descended from the disciplined legal reasoning of John Marshall and Joseph Story to the mystical aphorisms of the fortune cookie."

Offline bill1971

Just heard the full song and the teasers, sounds really good.

Offline erwinrafael

The digital version would be out to pledgers today. I have been monitoring my e-mail closely.  :lol I like the album title, Human Hardware.

Offline erwinrafael

I also love how they threw their music video producer under the bus. Form their Youtube comment:

"The truth is there is no reason for this video choice: we trusted in this guy who did the video and he simply disappointed our expectations. It wasn't even a budget problem. We were in some way "forced" to release it like that because we made a promise to our fans and we didn't wanted to disappoint them."

:lol

Offline wolfking

• DTF.org Alumni
I also love how they threw their music video producer under the bus. Form their Youtube comment:

"The truth is there is no reason for this video choice: we trusted in this guy who did the video and he simply disappointed our expectations. It wasn't even a budget problem. We were in some way "forced" to release it like that because we made a promise to our fans and we didn't wanted to disappoint them."

:lol

Wow, haha!
Everyone else, except Wolfking is wrong.

Offline devieira73

• Boldly go where no brazilian has gone before...
Anybody here knows if the release date was delayed? Thanks!
"one small step for a man, one giant leap for mankind." (RIP Neil Armstrong)

Offline rumborak

• DT.net Veteran
Just got the album through PledgeMusic! Listening right now.
"I liked when Myung looked like a women's figure skating champion."

Offline TAC

• DTF.org Alumni
  • Arthritic Metal Horns
Checking the video now.

The top comment:
"The 5 dislikes are from the members of Sons Of Apollo." :lol
would have thought the same thing but seeing the OP was TAC i immediately thought Maiden or DT related
Winger Theater Forums........or WTF.  ;D
TAC got a higher score than me in the electronic round? Honestly, can I just drop out now? :lol

Offline Ben_Jamin

• I'm just a man, thrown into existence by the gods
downloading it now...

Guess i'll have to wait for the cd to get it in good quality besides Mp3
I don't know how they can be so proud of winning with them odds. - Little Big Man
Follow my Spotify:BjamminD

Offline TAC

• DTF.org Alumni
  • Arthritic Metal Horns
Someone please tell me that It Begins is not the best song on it. Seems tuned low, is that right? Honestly, I didn't really care for that song.
would have thought the same thing but seeing the OP was TAC i immediately thought Maiden or DT related
Winger Theater Forums........or WTF.  ;D
TAC got a higher score than me in the electronic round? Honestly, can I just drop out now? :lol

Offline Ben_Jamin

Nope it's not the best song. But it also depends on your tastes. All the songs weren't written by one person. Except Lost, it's all Virgil Donati.
I don't know how they can be so proud of winning with them odds. - Little Big Man

Offline rumborak

• DT.net Veteran
It should be noted though that the album is stylistically very consistent. So, if you didn't like the style of SIB, you're probably not gonna like all that much more on it.

Offline gzarruk

Checking the video now.

The top comment:

Accurate  :rollin
It sounds like, "ruk, ruk, ruk, ruk, ruk." Instead of the more pleasing kick drum sound of, "gzarruk, gzarruk, gzarruk, gzarruk."

Offline efx

Will this be purchasble on itunes today or was the release date just for the pledgers?

Offline erwinrafael

It should be noted though that the album is stylistically very consistent. So, if you didn't like the style of SIB, you're probably not gonna like all that much more on it.

How do you find it rumbo? It's very European. I like that it has a distinct character, it's not sounding like any other band.

Offline rumborak

• DT.net Veteran
It's very dense, and I will have to listen to it a few more times to really get a sense of it. I know exactly what you mean by "European" :lol I probably would have chosen the term "Italian", since you can tell it has elements of Italian prog in it.

Offline erwinrafael

Maybe it's because all the members are all Italian.  :lol

I wish they recorded Revolution at a faster pace. That's the only complaint I have right now, but it's still an excellent song.

Offline Ben_Jamin

Maybe it's because all the members are all Italian.  :lol

I wish they recorded Revolution at a faster pace. That's the only complaint I have right now, but it's still an excellent song.

Yeah I wasn't really into revolution.

Offline erwinrafael

Finished with my second listening. I like how these guys know how to write prog songs. Not write rock songs that have prog instrumentals. The prog is in the song structure itself and it is not tacked on.

EDIT: The danceable vibe in many of the songs, especially Human Hardware, that was what DT was aiming for in Prophets of War but failed to achieve. For Icefish, it just fits perfectly, mainly because Argento and Donati knows how to play such kind of songs.
« Last Edit: October 22, 2017, 08:20:09 PM by erwinrafael »

Offline erwinrafael

The beauty of a short album is that I am already finished with my fourth listen.  :lol So I can already make song rankings:

Top tier:
Paralyzed (This song encapsulates what is unique about Icefish)
The Pieces (The groove is amazing. I love how this final song structurally complements It Begins, making the two songs nice bookends to the album)

Solid:
5 Years (one of the most technical prog songs that I have heard with vocals)
It Begins (very appropriate opener, introduces the band's style properly)
Solitude (prog shuffle. I love the vocal melodies and Sfogli's solo)
Human Hardware (danceable prog. found myself smiling while listening to this)

Could use some more work:
Lost (this has potential, but the technicality detracted from the feel of the song. It also sounds too much like Aquarium of Haken to my ears)
Revolution (this one also has potential, but the pace kills it. If it's just a tad faster, the song would work).

Filler:
Your Eyes (this one feels like it's just there. I wouldn't notice if its removed from the album)
« Last Edit: October 22, 2017, 10:47:20 PM by erwinrafael »

Offline Cool Chris

• DTF.org Alumni
The top comment:

Bravo!
"Nostalgia is just the ability to forget the things that sucked" - Nelson DeMille, 'Up Country'

Offline nobloodyname

• DTF.org Alumni
The two worst albums I own are To-Mera's Delusions and The Anabasis's Back from Being Gone. On first listen, and I openly admit it's one listen, IceFish's debut almost - almost - rivals them at the bottom of the pile with the singer making the difference.

Let's hope it's a grower, eh?
Paul
Gamer, rocker, humanist, womble
Leicestershire, UK
Getting right out of my comfort zone: www.youtube.com/@paulplayspoorly Go on, you can do it, too! (24/3/2024: Now playing on Paul Plays Poorly!, The Answer Lies Within by Dream Theater)

Offline erwinrafael

Hahaha! Oh well, different tastes I guess.

Offline nobloodyname

• DTF.org Alumni
Yeah, absolutely! But hey, I will give it another go this afternoon - and may even use your little breakdown above as a guide :)
Paul
Gamer, rocker, humanist, womble
Leicestershire, UK
Getting right out of my comfort zone: www.youtube.com/@paulplayspoorly Go on, you can do it, too! (24/3/2024: Now playing on Paul Plays Poorly!, The Answer Lies Within by Dream Theater)

Offline rumborak

• DT.net Veteran
It's definitely slowly rising for me, because I'm starting to wrap my head around the songs. Like a good prog album should.

Offline King Postwhore

• Couch Potato
  • DTF.org Alumni
  • Take that Beethoven, you deaf bastard!!
It's definitely slowly rising for me, because I'm starting to wrap my head around the songs. Like a good prog album should.

It was catchy while having layers.  Multiple listens make it more enjoyable.
I don't like country music, but I don't mean to denigrate those who do. And for the people who like country music, denigrate means 'put down'.” - Bob Newhart
So wait, we're spelling it wrong and king is spelling it right? What is going on here? :lol -- BlobVanDam
"Oh, I am definitely a jackass!" - TAC

Offline Sycsa

So, will they release on other platforms than Pledgemusic? It costs $15 there, which is more than twice what a typical album costs on iTunes in my region (for comparison's sake, Psychotic Symphony would run me less than $6, should I elect to buy it - still won't). 

Sycsa is perhaps the most brilliant and insightful man I have ever encountered.

Offline gzarruk

So, will they release on other platforms than Pledgemusic? It costs $15 there, which is more than twice what a typical album costs on iTunes in my region (for comparison's sake, Psychotic Symphony would run me less than $6, should I elect to buy it - still won't).

Was wondering the same thing. They’re charging too much for the digital download and it’s not on Spotify, iTunes or any other platforms, and I really want to listen to it.
It sounds like, "ruk, ruk, ruk, ruk, ruk." Instead of the more pleasing kick drum sound of, "gzarruk, gzarruk, gzarruk, gzarruk."

Offline mikeyd23

Re: IceFish - New Progressive Rock Project feat. Virgil Donati and Marco Sfogli
« Reply #100 on: October 24, 2017, 08:29:09 AM »
Yeah I just went to Spotify to check this out and couldn't find it...

Offline rumborak

• DT.net Veteran
« Reply #101 on: October 24, 2017, 08:44:31 AM »
I mean, I don't think that's too surprising. They only released it to the PledgeMusic backers two days ago. What's the point of backing anything if you don't get exclusive access?

Offline Sycsa

« Reply #102 on: October 24, 2017, 08:54:10 AM »
I mean, I don't think that's too surprising. They only released it to the PledgeMusic backers two days ago. What's the point of backing anything if you don't get exclusive access?
So when's the general release? An early access release to backers is understandable, but not releasing it at all anywhere else makes no sense.

Offline mikeyd23

« Reply #103 on: October 24, 2017, 09:02:30 AM »
So when's the general release? An early access release to backers is understandable, but not releasing it at all anywhere else makes no sense.

Right that was my question as well.

Offline Sycsa

« Reply #104 on: October 24, 2017, 09:12:26 AM »
I think you can only buy it on their website now: https://www.icefishband.com/

Apparently you can't simply pay with a credit card, it needs PayPal, which is really tedious.
There are samples of every song on their SoundCloud: https://soundcloud.com/icefishband

I'm gonna hold out on the purchase for now.