Author Topic: IceFish - New Progressive Rock Project feat. Virgil Donati and Marco Sfogli  (Read 22951 times)

Offline nobloodyname

• DTF.org Alumni
Re: IceFish - New Progressive Rock Project feat. Virgil Donati and Marco Sfogli
« Reply #35 on: September 24, 2017, 08:16:41 AM »
This is the first time I heard of this band, checked out the clips, I'm very impressed. At 01:17 of this clip (https://youtu.be/Ws5jN58iT5Y), what Virgil does is so cool. Starts out fast with the double bass, then he slows it down to let the groove catch up to him. It's a small thing, but it's so much fun, especially since he nailed it so perfectly. I rewound it a dozen times.

Oooh, really liking the music in that clip. Thanks for pointing out what's going on with the drums there. Very cool.

Perhaps I'll take a punt before hearing that first song after all.
Paul
Gamer, rocker, humanist, womble
Leicestershire, UK
Getting right out of my comfort zone: www.youtube.com/@paulplayspoorly Go on, you can do it, too! (24/3/2024: Now playing on Paul Plays Poorly!, The Answer Lies Within by Dream Theater)

Offline Sycsa

« Reply #36 on: September 24, 2017, 10:39:50 AM »
It may well be how you do it, but making it available to the masses who didn't take part in the campaign would be helpful. Anyone know when the rest of us will be able to hear it?

They said not to give anyone the youtube link. If you want to hear it pay up.
Ugh, what a misdirected, snarky comment.

This is the first time I heard of this band, checked out the clips, I'm very impressed. At 01:17 of this clip (https://youtu.be/Ws5jN58iT5Y), what Virgil does is so cool. Starts out fast with the double bass, then he slows it down to let the groove catch up to him. It's a small thing, but it's so much fun, especially since he nailed it so perfectly. I rewound it a dozen times. He also played around with the tempo a lot on In this Life. I wish Portnoy were this creative, instead of throwing in the same exact overused fill twice in Coming Home (which is still a good song, for the record).
Yea it's cool stuff!  :tup This is no dizz to Portnoy but he's simply not as dedicated to the technical and creative side of being a drummer like Virgil has been for many years. Virgil lives and breaths drumming and music and his work ethic is off the chart. Again no dizz but I don't think Portnoy is capable of coming up with drum parts like Virgil, let alone play it. The truth is not many drummers today can even match Virgils playing style, there's some but not many.

Sidenote saw this quote from Virgil: 'I think you have to be very strong to stick to your goals in life... So far I've resisted the choice of marriage and the many distractions they can bring.'
I think that says alot about his dedication to his craft.  :lol
Yeah, Virgil is evidently lightyears ahead of MP in terms of technique and ability, MP even said that he had to simplify Apocalypse BC whatever when they covered it with PSMS (he basically played the kick drum parts on his toms, pulling off something with his hands that Virgil was able to do with his feet). My comment simply referred to creativity in general, I wish MP sat down and worked on spicing up his "bag of tricks" a bit instead of playing the same exact fills ad nauseam.

Also, that quote by Virgil, I dunno, man. I imagine he's pretty weird around women.

Sycsa is perhaps the most brilliant and insightful man I have ever encountered.

Offline MrBoom_shack-a-lack

• I hit things for a living!
  • DTF.org Member
« Reply #37 on: September 24, 2017, 11:21:46 AM »
It may well be how you do it, but making it available to the masses who didn't take part in the campaign would be helpful. Anyone know when the rest of us will be able to hear it?

They said not to give anyone the youtube link. If you want to hear it pay up.
Ugh, what a misdirected, snarky comment.

This is the first time I heard of this band, checked out the clips, I'm very impressed. At 01:17 of this clip (https://youtu.be/Ws5jN58iT5Y), what Virgil does is so cool. Starts out fast with the double bass, then he slows it down to let the groove catch up to him. It's a small thing, but it's so much fun, especially since he nailed it so perfectly. I rewound it a dozen times. He also played around with the tempo a lot on In this Life. I wish Portnoy were this creative, instead of throwing in the same exact overused fill twice in Coming Home (which is still a good song, for the record).
Yea it's cool stuff!  :tup This is no dizz to Portnoy but he's simply not as dedicated to the technical and creative side of being a drummer like Virgil has been for many years. Virgil lives and breaths drumming and music and his work ethic is off the chart. Again no dizz but I don't think Portnoy is capable of coming up with drum parts like Virgil, let alone play it. The truth is not many drummers today can even match Virgils playing style, there's some but not many.

Sidenote saw this quote from Virgil: 'I think you have to be very strong to stick to your goals in life... So far I've resisted the choice of marriage and the many distractions they can bring.'
I think that says alot about his dedication to his craft.  :lol
Yeah, Virgil is evidently lightyears ahead of MP in terms of technique and ability, MP even said that he had to simplify Apocalypse BC whatever when they covered it with PSMS (he basically played the kick drum parts on his toms, pulling off something with his hands that Virgil was able to do with his feet). My comment simply referred to creativity in general, I wish MP sat down and worked on spicing up his "bag of tricks" a bit instead of playing the same exact fills ad nauseam.

Also, that quote by Virgil, I dunno, man. I imagine he's pretty weird around women.
He's probably a bit out there yea. :lol

Yea I know what you mean, Portnoy is a good drummer no doubt but maybe relies a bit too much on "old tricks" nowdays sadly.
"I said to Nigel Tufnel, 'The door is open if you want to do anything on this record,' but it turns out Nigel has a phobia about doors." /Derek Smalls

Offline devieira73

• Boldly go where no brazilian has gone before...
« Reply #38 on: September 26, 2017, 11:09:52 AM »
From Facebook:
NEXT SATURDAY!
"It Begins" Icefish first Single and Music Video will be finally available WORLDWIDE on Youtube, September 30th!
"one small step for a man, one giant leap for mankind." (RIP Neil Armstrong)

• DTF.org Member
« Reply #39 on: September 26, 2017, 12:29:20 PM »
"I said to Nigel Tufnel, 'The door is open if you want to do anything on this record,' but it turns out Nigel has a phobia about doors." /Derek Smalls

Offline gzarruk

« Reply #40 on: September 27, 2017, 06:52:10 PM »
From Facebook:
NEXT SATURDAY!
"It Begins" Icefish first Single and Music Video will be finally available WORLDWIDE on Youtube, September 30th!

Can't wait to see it! This band has great potential, specially with Marco and Virgil. Still not a big fan of their vocalist, though.
It sounds like, "ruk, ruk, ruk, ruk, ruk." Instead of the more pleasing kick drum sound of, "gzarruk, gzarruk, gzarruk, gzarruk."

Offline Ben_Jamin

• I'm just a man, thrown into existence by the gods
« Reply #41 on: September 27, 2017, 07:57:47 PM »
Song was great. I'm glad I decided to pledge. Going to be AOTY material for me.
I don't know how they can be so proud of winning with them odds. - Little Big Man
Follow my Spotify:BjamminD

Offline erwinrafael

« Reply #42 on: September 27, 2017, 09:51:11 PM »
It Begins is indeed great. The only complaint I have is the instrumental section after Sfogli's solo. Alex could have done something more melodic, although they might actually be featuring Virgil's drums in that section.

Offline nobloodyname

• DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #43 on: September 27, 2017, 11:37:42 PM »
I pledged at the weekend in the end, despite the horrendous shipping cost to the UK.

Anyway, yeah, first tune is okay.
Paul
Gamer, rocker, humanist, womble
Leicestershire, UK
Getting right out of my comfort zone: www.youtube.com/@paulplayspoorly Go on, you can do it, too! (24/3/2024: Now playing on Paul Plays Poorly!, The Answer Lies Within by Dream Theater)

Online wolfking

• DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #44 on: September 28, 2017, 05:00:21 AM »

is there a link for a new song?
Everyone else, except Wolfking is wrong.

Offline Mindflux

• DT.net Veteran
  • DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #45 on: September 28, 2017, 06:57:06 AM »

is there a link for a new song?

Did you pledge? If so it's in their pledge updates.

As for the song. It feels like it's two entirely different songs.. poppy chorus and music going to the singing and then.. the rest of the track.  :rollin

It's so-so.

Offline Dellers

• Funky Norwegian!
https://soundcloud.com/dellers2/jpxi-o
Religious faith can only exist when there is no God, otherwise there wouldn't be a reason to believe.

• DTF.org Member
« Reply #47 on: September 30, 2017, 04:37:57 AM »
Just heard it, sounds good and fresh. It's complicated yet accessible. I have to get back to my comment about playing bass and sing and add yes that was impressive, he was all over that bass while singing.
Can't wait to hear them tackle this live!  :tup

Offline Bertielee

• RIP, Dad (1935-2017)
« Reply #48 on: September 30, 2017, 05:25:41 AM »
Wait, these guys are called IceFish, I thought they were SoA, the new kings of prog metal?!?  :biggrin:
Kidding aside, very good song and, yes, the singer/bassist is impressive.

B.Lee
"Life is divided into two sets of people : people who have lost and people who haven't yet." George Michael

Offline Sycsa

Sycsa is perhaps the most brilliant and insightful man I have ever encountered.

Online ariich

• Roulette Supervillain
  • Global Moderator
  • sexin' you later
« Reply #50 on: September 30, 2017, 10:45:30 AM »
Cool song, definite hint of Frost*.

In the video, the singer is SO cheesy. :lol Good voice though.

I don't understand the comparisons two Sons of Apollo, I don't really hear any similarities in style.

Ariich is a freak, or somehow has more hours in the day than everyone else.
I be am boner inducing.

Offline Cool Chris

• DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #51 on: September 30, 2017, 11:07:56 AM »
That video looks like a project some junior high kids did.

God that keyboard sound is awful!
"Nostalgia is just the ability to forget the things that sucked" - Nelson DeMille, 'Up Country'

Offline Bertielee

• RIP, Dad (1935-2017)
« Reply #52 on: September 30, 2017, 11:09:04 AM »

I don't understand the comparisons two Sons of Apollo, I don't really hear any similarities in style.

My joke was : SoA called themselves the new kings of prog metal, if ever, I'd rather give the title to the guys in Ice Fish (personal preferences, of course). I obviously didn't compare their music.

B.Lee
"Life is divided into two sets of people : people who have lost and people who haven't yet." George Michael

Online ariich

• Roulette Supervillain
  • Global Moderator
  • sexin' you later
« Reply #53 on: September 30, 2017, 11:29:00 AM »

My joke was : SoA called themselves the new kings of prog metal, if ever, I'd rather give the title to the guys in Ice Fish (personal preferences, of course). I obviously didn't compare their music.

B.Lee
Well, even if it was intended in any way seriously, being the king would surely be about success/exposure within the genre, rather than how proggy/technical/experimental it is, wouldn't it? There's much, much proggier stuff than this around (which at the extreme end gets pretty horrible to listen to :lol )

Ariich is a freak, or somehow has more hours in the day than everyone else.
I be am boner inducing.

Offline Bertielee

• RIP, Dad (1935-2017)
« Reply #54 on: September 30, 2017, 12:51:31 PM »

B.Lee
Well, even if it was intended in any way seriously, being the king would surely be about success/exposure within the genre, rather than how proggy/technical/experimental it is, wouldn't it? There's much, much proggier stuff than this around (which at the extreme end gets pretty horrible to listen to :lol )

Count on Ariich to have a harmless little joke fall flat! :biggrin: But, you're right of course.

B.Lee

Offline erwinrafael

« Reply #55 on: September 30, 2017, 07:47:22 PM »

That keyboard sound is not awful. It's European.  :lol

Online Adami

• Moderator of awesomeness
« Reply #56 on: September 30, 2017, 07:50:44 PM »
Damn this video is horrible haha. Song is very cool though. Definitely going to be getting this album.

Not 100% sold on the production, seems to be a bit treble heavy.
fanticide.bandcamp.com

Offline Bertielee

• RIP, Dad (1935-2017)

Where are you from already, Erwin, so that I can find a joke on your sounds there? >:(  :biggrin:

Back to topic : I couldn't care less about the video as I'm not going to spend my time watching it. I like the music and the singer is really good, that's enough for me.

B.Lee

Offline The Silent Cody

• The biggest polish DT appreciator ;)
  • DTF.org Member
  • Ten years older, but still DT'ish ;)
And another project that I'm getting known of from DTF - Thank You ;) But, music overall is very good, I don't like the keyboard sound, it's quite annoying for me. I love Marco Sfogli and Donati, I don't know the vocalist to be honest. I will be interested in buying Their album, but maybe one more song from Icefish would be nice ;)

Offline axeman90210

• Official Minister of Awesome, and Veronica knows my name!
  • DTF.org Alumni
  • Never go full Nick

Is there a difference :neverusethis:

I do like the song, will definitely be keeping an eye on this band.
Photobucket sucks.

• DTF.org Member

Is there a difference :neverusethis:

I do like the song, will definitely be keeping an eye on this band.
I find it to be pretty cool, it's sticks out a bit but I think that's the point. Now while we're talking about horrible synth patches I think this is way worse, i'm not sure why on earth Toumas switched from what he used on the album: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=15H-TBrCyKw

I think it's trying to drill into my brain or something.  :P

Offline erwinrafael

Where are you from already, Erwin, so that I can find a joke on your sounds there? >:(  :biggrin:

I am not from Europe. I am from the Philippines.  :lol

This would be a bit controversial, but I love the keys because it's unnerving effect is just like Kevin Moore's keys in Awake.  ;)

Offline rumborak

• DT.net Veteran
Color me excited, that tune was interesting to say the least.
"I liked when Myung looked like a women's figure skating champion."

Offline SwedishGoose

• DTF.org Alumni
Nice... I find this tune much more interresting than the two songs from that other supergroup

Offline Bertielee

• RIP, Dad (1935-2017)

I am not from Europe. I am from the Philippines.  :lol

This would be a bit controversial, but I love the keys because it's unnerving effect is just like Kevin Moore's keys in Awake.  ;)

I love the keys as well, also precisely because they're kinda jarring.

B.Lee

Offline Bertielee

• RIP, Dad (1935-2017)
Btw, I also love the fusion influences Sfogli puts in his solo, it's so tasty. And I will repeat myself, but playing such bass parts and singing so well at the same time has me go "wow" at the frontman. VD will be VD : technical while remaining accessible to a non-musician like me. Well done guys!

B.Lee

Offline erwinrafael

Virgil knows how to make accessible music, having played with Southern Sons and with Tina Arena. 😉

Online wolfking

• DTF.org Alumni
Not bad at all.  I like the vocals surprisingly. 

Offline Bertielee

• RIP, Dad (1935-2017)
Virgil knows how to make accessible music, having played with Southern Sons and with Tina Arena. 😉

I didn't know it. At the same time, Greg Howe played with Enrique Iglesias if I remember it well.

B.Lee

Online wolfking

• DTF.org Alumni

I didn't know it. At the same time, Greg Howe played with Enrique Iglesias if I remember it well.

B.Lee

Southern Sons were actually very very popular, and the debut album sold a bucketload.  Here's the big hit, it's pretty good and a bit of an Aussie classic.  There was a couple more hits of the album also.

Speaking of Tina Arena, the singer here Jack Jones was in the backing bad too I believe.  He could play the guitar alright, great voice too, very Farnham like.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Vy2gGNS6o78

Speaking of guitar guys in funny backing bands, don't forget Nuno playing for Rhianna, and also Andy Timmons playing for Olivia Newton John.