Author Topic: IceFish - New Progressive Rock Project feat. Virgil Donati and Marco Sfogli  (Read 22932 times)

Offline MrBoom_shack-a-lack

• I hit things for a living!
  • DTF.org Member
https://www.pledgemusic.com/projects/icefish

IceFish Rehearsal Teaser 2

IceFish is an exciting new progressive rock/metal project. The band features legendary drummer Virgil Donati and virtuosic musicians Marco Sfogli (guitar), Alex Argento (keyboards), and Andrea Casali (bass/vocals).

The music in this projects is the real story: carefully crafted power melodies, soaring vocals, and intricate hard-rocking rhythms. Add in state-of-the-art production – and you get a truly inspiring collection of tunes worth listening to again and again.

Sounds really cool.  :tup
"I said to Nigel Tufnel, 'The door is open if you want to do anything on this record,' but it turns out Nigel has a phobia about doors." /Derek Smalls

Offline sylvan

• Alter Bridge Disciple
I'm excited for this. I'm a huge Sfogli fan. I'm not familiar with the other guys, but the dude walking around in the backyard singing sounded amazing! And the rehearsal sounded cool as fuck.

Offline Bertielee

• RIP, Dad (1935-2017)
Really excited too. I know all the musicians but the bassist / singer but vocally, the guy seems to be a beast from what we can hear. Sounds promising as hell!

B.Lee
"Life is divided into two sets of people : people who have lost and people who haven't yet." George Michael

Offline goo-goo

I'm kind of worried that the band will not reach the goal.

Offline wolfking

• DTF.org Alumni
I'm a massive Sfogli fan and Virgil's last solo album was really good, so this should be good.
Everyone else, except Wolfking is wrong.

• DTF.org Member
"I said to Nigel Tufnel, 'The door is open if you want to do anything on this record,' but it turns out Nigel has a phobia about doors." /Derek Smalls

Offline TAC

• DTF.org Alumni
  • Arthritic Metal Horns
Sounds great. Guitars are tuned a little lower than I like.
would have thought the same thing but seeing the OP was TAC i immediately thought Maiden or DT related
Winger Theater Forums........or WTF.  ;D
TAC got a higher score than me in the electronic round? Honestly, can I just drop out now? :lol

Offline Art

Sounds really good. Sfogli is a great player.

Offline mikeyd23

Sounds really cool!

Offline Dublagent66

• Devouring consciousness...
  • DTF.org Alumni
  • ...Digesting power
I like it a lot!  I'll be checking them out for sure!  :tup
"Two things are infinite; the universe and human stupidity; and I'm not sure about the universe." -Albert Einstein
"There's not a pill you can take.  There's not a class you can go to.  Stupid is foreva."  -Ron White

Offline Bertielee

• RIP, Dad (1935-2017)
Re: IceFish - New Progressive Rock Project feat. Virgil Donati and Marco Sfogli
« Reply #10 on: September 20, 2017, 12:30:20 PM »
I had forgotten about them! I checked on YT : instant-buy for me. It's everything I love!

B.Lee
"Life is divided into two sets of people : people who have lost and people who haven't yet." George Michael

Offline Samsara

• Queensr˙che Biographer and Historian
  • DTF.org Alumni
  • Driving the nail into my head. Memory flows...
« Reply #11 on: September 20, 2017, 12:37:03 PM »
Clips sound cool. Do you have to buy through the Pledge, or will it be available as a CD on Amazon?
Roads to Madness: The Touring History of Queensr˙che (1981-1997) - Out in May 2024!

www.roadstomadness.com

Offline nattmorker

« Reply #12 on: September 20, 2017, 01:40:02 PM »
Sounds great, I just found out about them. I'm not too familiar with them (I only know a little about Donati and the guitar player) but this sounds great. I will definitely check it out!

Offline Bertie_Wooster

« Reply #13 on: September 21, 2017, 10:25:29 AM »
They have a full song coming out today or tomorow

Offline nobloodyname

• DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #14 on: September 21, 2017, 10:50:54 AM »
Oooh, I did not like those keyboards in that first teaser at all. But still, they were just going through initial noodlings. The singer sounded great, though. Looking forward to hearing a full tune.
Paul
Gamer, rocker, humanist, womble
Leicestershire, UK
Getting right out of my comfort zone: www.youtube.com/@paulplayspoorly Go on, you can do it, too! (24/3/2024: Now playing on Paul Plays Poorly!, The Answer Lies Within by Dream Theater)

Offline erwinrafael

« Reply #15 on: September 21, 2017, 11:53:10 AM »
With all the hoopla around Sons of Apollo, this prog group is coming under the radar. I just pledged so I can get to hear the first single later. :D

Oooh, I did not like those keyboards in that first teaser at all. But still, they were just going through initial noodlings. The singer sounded great, though. Looking forward to hearing a full tune.

What first teaser?

Offline Bertie_Wooster

« Reply #16 on: September 21, 2017, 12:12:59 PM »
At the 9 second mark on the 2nd teaser the singer sounded exactly like Steve Perry but he couldn’t sustain it

Offline nobloodyname

• DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #17 on: September 21, 2017, 12:13:29 PM »
I meant the teaser in the first post.
Paul
Leicestershire, UK
Getting right out of my comfort zone: www.youtube.com/@paulplayspoorly Go on, you can do it, too! (24/3/2024: Now playing on Paul Plays Poorly!, The Answer Lies Within by Dream Theater)

Offline Mindflux

• DT.net Veteran
  • DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #18 on: September 21, 2017, 12:45:21 PM »
I threw my money down on the CD pledge.   :metal

Offline goo-goo

« Reply #19 on: September 21, 2017, 01:39:19 PM »
When is this officially out? I pledged but it's been a while since I did that but I don't remember the details.

Offline devieira73

• Boldly go where no brazilian has gone before...
« Reply #20 on: September 21, 2017, 03:09:42 PM »
22 october
"one small step for a man, one giant leap for mankind." (RIP Neil Armstrong)

Offline Dellers

• Funky Norwegian!
« Reply #21 on: September 23, 2017, 06:37:13 AM »
The first song is really, really good IMO. I can't wait to hear the rest.
https://soundcloud.com/dellers2/jpxi-o
Religious faith can only exist when there is no God, otherwise there wouldn't be a reason to believe.

Offline erwinrafael

« Reply #22 on: September 23, 2017, 11:01:25 PM »
It Begins is so good! That's how you do it!

Offline nobloodyname

• DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #23 on: September 24, 2017, 12:27:43 AM »
It may well be how you do it, but making it available to the masses who didn't take part in the campaign would be helpful. Anyone know when the rest of us will be able to hear it?
Paul
Leicestershire, UK

Offline erwinrafael

« Reply #24 on: September 24, 2017, 12:30:26 AM »
Soon. LOL

Offline Bertie_Wooster

« Reply #25 on: September 24, 2017, 12:45:48 AM »
It may well be how you do it, but making it available to the masses who didn't take part in the campaign would be helpful. Anyone know when the rest of us will be able to hear it?

They said not to give anyone the youtube link. If you want to hear it pay up.

• DTF.org Member
« Reply #26 on: September 24, 2017, 01:41:42 AM »
I think they said it's up on youtube for everyone next week.

Offline nobloodyname

• DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #27 on: September 24, 2017, 01:46:21 AM »

No need for the snark. I only wanted to know when it would be on general release.

MrBoom_shack-a-lack: thank you. I look forward to hearing it when I'm allowed. (And then I'll decide whether to buy the album or not ;D)
« Last Edit: September 24, 2017, 01:54:25 AM by nobloodyname »
Paul
Leicestershire, UK

• DTF.org Member
« Reply #28 on: September 24, 2017, 02:37:40 AM »
No problem, here's the full quote. Now it could actually mean they'll announce the release date next week and not the actual release which would be a bit silly, but atleast we know it's coming soon.

THANK YOU SO MUCH!
We have got tons of amazing comments from all the people who saw the premiere video of "It Begins" on PledgeMusic.
We couldn't be happier!!
We decided to announce the worldwide release of the video on YouTube next week...so you will finally be able to see it too!

Please SUBSCRIBE to our Icefish Official Youtube channel:

https://www.youtube.com/Icefishband

and you will get the notification e-mail as soon as the video is uploaded!
STAY TUNED! 😎

https://www.pledgemusic.com/projects/icefish/updates

Offline erwinrafael

« Reply #29 on: September 24, 2017, 02:45:34 AM »
How does Casali sing while playing prog bass? Although his bass lines are not that complex, but still.(yeah, Geddy Ledd does it, but that's Geddy Lee).

• DTF.org Member
« Reply #30 on: September 24, 2017, 02:54:09 AM »
How does Casali sing while playing prog bass? Although his bass lines are not that complex, but still.(yeah, Geddy Ledd does it, but that's Geddy Lee).
I haven't actually heard the song yet but the boring answer is probably alot of practice. I get what you mean, I always find it impressive when guitarists sing and play. I know that as a drummer even if I don't sing while playing, if I would just practice a bit it would eventually become natural, multitasking is pretty much what drumming is all about.  :P

Offline Lowdz

« Reply #31 on: September 24, 2017, 04:58:20 AM »
This sounds promising.
Top class musicians working together - how could it fail? 😀. Any tweets about them being the new gods of prog metal?

Offline erwinrafael

« Reply #32 on: September 24, 2017, 04:59:57 AM »
Portnoy could actually learn a thing or two from how Donati handled this.
« Last Edit: September 24, 2017, 06:30:09 AM by erwinrafael »

Offline Sycsa

« Reply #33 on: September 24, 2017, 07:03:06 AM »

Ugh, what a misdirected, snarky comment.

This is the first time I heard of this band, checked out the clips, I'm very impressed. At 01:17 of this clip (https://youtu.be/Ws5jN58iT5Y), what Virgil does is so cool. Starts out fast with the double bass, then he slows it down to let the groove catch up to him. It's a small thing, but it's so much fun, especially since he nailed it so perfectly. I rewound it a dozen times. He also played around with the tempo a lot on In this Life. I wish Portnoy were this creative, instead of throwing in the same exact overused fill twice in Coming Home (which is still a good song, for the record).
« Last Edit: September 24, 2017, 07:24:41 AM by Sycsa »

Sycsa is perhaps the most brilliant and insightful man I have ever encountered.

• DTF.org Member
« Reply #34 on: September 24, 2017, 07:41:37 AM »

Ugh, what a misdirected, snarky comment.

This is the first time I heard of this band, checked out the clips, I'm very impressed. At 01:17 of this clip (https://youtu.be/Ws5jN58iT5Y), what Virgil does is so cool. Starts out fast with the double bass, then he slows it down to let the groove catch up to him. It's a small thing, but it's so much fun, especially since he nailed it so perfectly. I rewound it a dozen times. He also played around with the tempo a lot on In this Life. I wish Portnoy were this creative, instead of throwing in the same exact overused fill twice in Coming Home (which is still a good song, for the record).
Yea it's cool stuff!  :tup This is no dizz to Portnoy but he's simply not as dedicated to the technical and creative side of being a drummer like Virgil has been for many years. Virgil lives and breaths drumming and music and his work ethic is off the chart. Again no dizz but I don't think Portnoy is capable of coming up with drum parts like Virgil, let alone play it. The truth is not many drummers today can even match Virgils playing style, there's some but not many.

Sidenote saw this quote from Virgil: 'I think you have to be very strong to stick to your goals in life... So far I've resisted the choice of marriage and the many distractions they can bring.'
I think that says alot about his dedication to his craft.  :lol