Author Topic: Trump Tweets (sorry Stadler)  (Read 9703 times)

Offline jingle.boy

• DTF's resident deceased dictator
  • DTF.org Alumni
  • The changing of the worrd is inevitabre!!!
Re: Trump Tweets (sorry Stadler)
« Reply #140 on: June 29, 2017, 06:06:52 PM »
Love how Huckabee-Sanders was doubling down on her defense of the statement.  Good lord, wonder how she'd feel if a tweet ever came her way about liposuction scars.

FFS, how do these people sleep at night?  Even Paul-goddamned-Ryan had the wits and morals to distance himself from this one.

Dream Theater Forums: Expanding musical tastes and shrinking wallets since 2009.
Note to forum, jingle is usually right.
I'm actually disappointed he's not Kim Jong-Il

Offline KevShmev

• EZBoard Elder
« Reply #141 on: June 29, 2017, 08:05:04 PM »
It is almost comical how embarrassing Trump is now. Almost.

Offline jingle.boy

• DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #142 on: June 30, 2017, 06:19:32 AM »
It is almost comical how embarrassing Trump is now. Almost.

It's been comical for a while.  Now it's just scary that people can still support/defend his statements.  FFS, even Conway was avoiding this one like it was and envelope of antrhax.
Dream Theater Forums: Expanding musical tastes and shrinking wallets since 2009.

Offline chknptpie

• DTF.org Member
« Reply #143 on: June 30, 2017, 07:39:04 AM »
I really think these tweets are meant to distract from Trumpcare during the long weekend. Instead of coverage on that, all the media is focused on their colleagues.

Offline Chino

• Be excellent to each other.
  • DT.net Veteran
« Reply #144 on: June 30, 2017, 07:46:00 AM »
I really think these tweets are meant to distract from Trumpcare during the long weekend. Instead of coverage on that, all the media is focused on their colleagues.

He posted this about four hours ago.

Jun 30, 2017 05:37:57 AM - If Republican Senators are unable to pass what they are working on now, they should immediately REPEAL, and then REPLACE at a later date!

Offline lonestar

• DTF Executive Head Chef
  • Official DTF Tour Guide
  • First Follower
    • Lady Obscure Music Magazine
« Reply #145 on: June 30, 2017, 07:55:28 AM »
He has no filter. None.
Quote from: nightmare_cinema
So should lonestar and I have babies or something now, is that how this works?
Dang, you're easily the coolest fogey I know of

Offline jingle.boy

• DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #146 on: June 30, 2017, 08:03:04 AM »

He posted this about four hours ago.

Jun 30, 2017 05:37:57 AM - If Republican Senators are unable to pass what they are working on now, they should immediately REPEAL, and then REPLACE at a later date!

I was about to buy what Tricia was selling, then Trump went and shone a spotlight on the Trumpcare disaster.

SAD!  Lol

Offline Stadler

• DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #147 on: June 30, 2017, 08:18:13 AM »
It's one thing to point fingers at Trump and  say what a buffoon he is, if you're perfect, and you're not  playing any of the Reindeer games he is...

But you're not.

"Trumpcare".   It's not Trumpcare at this point (he has threatened that, though).  This is McConnell's baby at this point.  But that matters not, because it's TRUMP and "Anything goes!"

Brzizinski.  She was my local news-person for a while (Hartford, CT).  She's not squeaky clean on this, and as noted before here, when Trump went low, she went right down WITH him, making "penis references". Add to that that she's now taking it from her co-host - which pretty sure started while she was married - and we're not talking about Mother Teresa.

"Disaster".  You (collective) still haven't answered why "number of people insured" is the magic metric (and only metric, it seems) and while there are fancy videos of Chris Cuomo "challenging" the Republican Senator about "Fake News" ("Tell me what I've got incorrect") he - in what I've seen - didn't answer the question either.  Obamacare FORCED people to get coverage; so if you FORCE someone - wrongly - to do something they don't want to  do, then give them the freedom to make their own choices, why is that a ding on the program itself?    FAKE NEWS.

And none of this should be taken to "defend" Trump's tweets; it's an abomination.  But fair is fair, FFS.

Offline El Barto

• DTF.org Alumni
  • Bad Craziness
« Reply #148 on: June 30, 2017, 08:27:58 AM »
Total number of uninsured isn't a good metric. It's imprecise and includes people who want to go with out (and freeload off of the taxpayers when they get sick). Number of uninsured not by choice is a valid metric. These are the people we allegedly want to help. However, since we're seeing numbers that suggest ~70% of the total number fit into the latter, non-volunteer category, I think it's an effective shorthand metric.
Argument, the presentation of reasonable views, never makes headway against conviction, and conviction takes no part in argument because it knows.
E.F. Benson

Offline jingle.boy

• DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #149 on: June 30, 2017, 09:59:17 AM »
Brzizinski.  She was my local news-person for a while (Hartford, CT).  She's not squeaky clean on this, and as noted before here, when Trump went low, she went right down WITH him, making "penis references". Add to that that she's now taking it from her co-host - which pretty sure started while she was married - and we're not talking about Mother Teresa.

I'm not sure I follow any of this.  What is she "not squeeky clean" about?  What did she do BEFORE the tweet?  I think you might be referring to some infidelity issues ("taking it from her co-host")?  If so, what does that have to do with anything?  Sure, speaks a bit to her character, but does that in anyway justify or make what Grabby tweeted ok?  If you TRULY believe Trump's tweet was an abomination, then why the need to point out any of this?  What does the personality/character/past behaviour of who he's attacking matter in any way?  I already said that her response was unprofessional - but that was AFTER Grabby's initial tweet.

Offline axeman90210

• Official Minister of Awesome, and Veronica knows my name!
  • DTF.org Alumni
  • Never go full Nick
« Reply #150 on: June 30, 2017, 10:26:02 AM »
"Trumpcare".   It's not Trumpcare at this point (he has threatened that, though).  This is McConnell's baby at this point.  But that matters not, because it's TRUMP and "Anything goes!"

I know for me  (though I can't speak to everybody else) the way I look at it is that Obama campaigned on health care reform, as did a lot of Democrats. He and they were elected, and they subsequently passed health care reform. Then it started being called Obamacare and was used to politicize the bill by attaching it at the hip to a president who was hated by the other side of the aisle (for reasons both reasonable and not). To the point where there were studies done where within the same population of people the ACA was noticeably more popular than "Obamacare". There were interview subjects and social media posts from people who trashed "Obamacare" in one sentence, only to talk about how thankfully it was replaced with the ACA which allowed them to get health insurance. Now Trump, as did a lot of Republicans, campaigned on repeal and replace Obamacare. If Congress is able to pass a repeal and replace and he signs it into law (even though the final bill will likely break at least one of his major campaign promises), I don't see why he shouldn't have to own it as his legacy the same way Obama did the ACA.

I'm not sure I follow any of this.  What is she "not squeeky clean" about?  What did she do BEFORE the tweet?  I think you might be referring to some infidelity issues ("taking it from her co-host")?  If so, what does that have to do with anything?  Sure, speaks a bit to her character, but does that in anyway justify or make what Grabby tweeted ok?  If you TRULY believe Trump's tweet was an abomination, then why the need to point out any of this?  What does the personality/character/past behaviour of who he's attacking matter in any way?  I already said that her response was unprofessional - but that was AFTER Grabby's initial tweet.

I think it's fair to point out if she was happy to get down in the gutter with him about someone else back when they were on good terms (though I think we can all agree that maybe we should be holding the fucking President to a higher standard than a morning TV personality). Agree with you though, that stuff about her marriage/sex life has absolutely zero relevance and at least suggest some slut shaming and/or victim blaming bullshit imo.
Photobucket sucks.

Offline Sir GuitarCozmo

• Official Forum Sous Chef and broler5
  • DTF.org Alumni
  • whahibrido pickingant in action...
« Reply #151 on: June 30, 2017, 11:08:24 AM »
I'm not sure why "fair is fair" is even an issue here.  This is a thread about tweets from Trump, who treats people unfairly on a regular basis.  Who gives a shit about fair when Trump can't stay above the fucking belt himself?

Offline jingle.boy

• DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #152 on: June 30, 2017, 12:32:28 PM »
though I think we can all agree that maybe we should be holding the fucking President to a higher standard than a morning TV personality.

Nailed it.  Though, I'd take it a few steps further and hope that any "free" country should hold it's President/Prime Minister to the HIGHEST of standards - beyond anyone, let alone a TV personality.

Offline lonestar

• First Follower
« Reply #153 on: June 30, 2017, 05:05:55 PM »
Mark Hammil reading the Mika tweet in the Joker's voice...

https://audioboom.com/posts/6063140-maligning-mika-savaging-psycho-joe

Offline ReaperKK

• Sweeter After Difficulty
  • DT.net Veteran
« Reply #154 on: June 30, 2017, 06:00:08 PM »
Mark Hamilton needs to do this for all Trumps tweets

Offline lonestar

• First Follower
« Reply #155 on: June 30, 2017, 06:08:12 PM »
I know, it's so good.

Offline lonestar

• First Follower
« Reply #156 on: July 02, 2017, 10:12:03 AM »
Boy, it didn't even take him a week to out do the morning Joe tweet. His wrestling /CNN fake news gift this morning was just... Disturbing...

I'm speechless at this point, and embarrassed for our governing general.

Offline antigoon

• Not Elvis
  • DT.net Veteran
  • This was a triumph.
« Reply #157 on: July 02, 2017, 10:21:34 AM »
who could have predicted he would act this way

Offline KevShmev

• EZBoard Elder
« Reply #158 on: July 02, 2017, 12:59:50 PM »
I don't think that tweet is that bad; it's a joke.  I mean, it's wrestling, FFS. :lol :lol :lol

The Morning Joe tweets were far more offensive and worrisome.

I suspect that the GOP would love to get together and all band against him to get him impeached, but I'll bet they are all scared of how Trump would target them if they tried such a thing.  There is no way he would go down without taking the rest of the party with him, and they know it.  What an awful situation.

Offline Jaffa

• Just Jaffa
  • DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #159 on: July 03, 2017, 12:44:39 AM »
I don't think that tweet is that bad; it's a joke.  I mean, it's wrestling, FFS. :lol :lol :lol

I don't know. 

I mean, yes, it's a joke, but that doesn't exactly comfort me.  All it means is that the president of the United States (a president who has declared that the media is an enemy of the American people, mind you - was that a joke, too?) thinks it's totally funny to joke about assaulting a news organization. 

What would comfort me would be to see him stop telling jokes and start taking his job seriously.  He is the president of the United States
Sincerely,
Jaffa

Offline jingle.boy

• DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #160 on: July 03, 2017, 04:40:07 AM »
It would barely qualify as funny if he was JUST the Celebrity Apprentice "star".  As POTUS, it's just ludicrous.  This might appeal to his most hardcore supporters, but to those on the fringe that are in the 'give him tim / a chance' camp, they've got to be running low of hope/patience when he pulls shit like this.

His opposition has come to almost expect this type of shit.

As a non-US citizen, I feel bad for the country that this is the shit you have to put up with, which includes the fact that the Dems are powerless to do anything meaningful about it, and the GOP doesn't have the pills to stand up to him - though, that tweet last week crossed the line for some (see Exhibit: Lindsay Graham).

Offline Stadler

• DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #161 on: July 03, 2017, 08:02:06 AM »
Total number of uninsured isn't a good metric. It's imprecise and includes people who want to go with out (and freeload off of the taxpayers when they get sick). Number of uninsured not by choice is a valid metric. These are the people we allegedly want to help. However, since we're seeing numbers that suggest ~70% of the total number fit into the latter, non-volunteer category, I think it's an effective shorthand metric.

But it's the point of it.   You can do the shorthand - use a calculator, for example - when you know the longhand, and know when you're cutting corners.    Let me put it this way:  far more than ~70% of the people blathering about the CBO assessment don't understand what you and I are discussing right now, and people like Chuck "22 million hypmotized by my somniferous voice, and counting!" Schumer aren't lifting a finger to help clear the confusion. 

Offline Stadler

• DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #162 on: July 03, 2017, 08:07:08 AM »
though I think we can all agree that maybe we should be holding the fucking President to a higher standard than a morning TV personality.

Nailed it.  Though, I'd take it a few steps further and hope that any "free" country should hold it's President/Prime Minister to the HIGHEST of standards - beyond anyone, let alone a TV personality.

Of course; whatever standard still allows you to bluster about TRUMP.   Why not? 

We didn't worry about "higher standards" when Bill was setting sexual records that Cosby and Trump can only dream of; we didn't worry about "higher standards" when Hillary was perjuring herself - that is, knowingly and with intent lying under oath to a Federal investigative body - in order to 'stay in the race'!   Why are we all of a sudden worried about "higher standards"?   

I'm not suggesting I disagree with that - one of my biggest beefs with Trump is the lack of gravitas and professionalism in the way he conducts himself - but at least I've been saying this since Bill appeared in "Risky Business" sunglasses and a saxophone on Arsenio Hall.   You can't have it both ways.  You can't love it when Obama talks in street patois and shoots hoops with the neighborhood kids and then bitch about "higher standards!" when Trump joins the Twitter maelstrom.     

Offline Stadler

• DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #163 on: July 03, 2017, 08:17:25 AM »

As a non-US citizen, I feel bad for the country that this is the shit you have to put up with, which includes the fact that the Dems are powerless to do anything meaningful about it, and the GOP doesn't have the pills to stand up to him - though, that tweet last week crossed the line for some (see Exhibit: Lindsay Graham).

Why would you feel bad?  This the way - for better or worse - the system is supposed to work.   What some of you don't quite understand is that as bad as some hate the Tweeting (and look in the General part of the forum, specifically the "things that irritate me" threads, to see how badly I abhor the tweeting) others hated the idea of universal healthcare.   Or the legalization of marijuana.  Or the <insert topic of choice>.   You're not SUPPOSED to be able to dump someone just because you disagree with what/how he is doing what is he doing.    The government is SUPPOSED to be methodical and deliberative on things like this.   We've gone 240 years, plus or minus, without the general idea that EVERYTHING we want - WANT, not NEED - is supposed to be available to us with lightning fast download speeds of greater than 50MBps. 

I was in Ireland back in the late 90's when supposedly the "world" was "laughing at us" because our President couldn't keep his cock on the reservation.   We survived.   I was in Germany back in the mid-2000's when supposedly the "world" was "laughing at us" because our President was a walking talking version of Howdy Doody.   We survived.   I wasn't lucky enough to ACTUALLY be there, but I worked with a subgroup in my company that was headquartered in Paris, France when supposedly the "world" was "laughing at us" because our President was weak and indecisive in world affairs, and worried more about his personal social legacy than the well-being of our country (and Osama bin-Laden was, at that time, making our special forces look stupid).    We survived.   

It's one thing to not like his demeanor (I absolutely don't), or his choices (I largely don't) or his policies (I'm 50-50 on that, but that is par for the course for me at this point; I can't really expect better than that) but the lack of perspective on this is mind-boggling to me. 

Offline jingle.boy

• DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #164 on: July 03, 2017, 08:40:58 AM »

Of course; whatever standard still allows you to bluster about TRUMP.   Why not? 

Getting a little tired that a lot of the times you "agree" with people, you then accompany it with a backhanded compliment.  Your implication here is that I'm picking my "standard" with the aim of still being able to rag on Grabby, and it is insulting.  YOU are better than this.

We didn't worry about "higher standards" when Bill was setting sexual records that Cosby and Trump can only dream of; we didn't worry about "higher standards" when Hillary was perjuring herself - that is, knowingly and with intent lying under oath to a Federal investigative body - in order to 'stay in the race'!   Why are we all of a sudden worried about "higher standards"?   

First, one would think (the royal) you would ALWAYS be worried about "higher standards" for POTUS - otherwise you've allowed yourself to normalize this shit-show.  Second, why the need to make his behaviour relative to a historical comparison?  We're not talking about anyone else's past transgressions - bringing it up is simply a means of deflection.  Trump's playbook has bled into your own psyche it would seem.  You weaken your argument if all you can do is make an issue 'not as bad' as the past. 

"Your honor... the bruises my client left on her face aren't nearly as bad as the broken bones her ex-husband gave her"

Online PowerSlave

« Reply #165 on: July 03, 2017, 08:52:05 AM »
but at least I've been saying this since Bill appeared in "Risky Business" sunglasses and a saxophone on Arsenio Hall.     

I voted against Bill, so my next statement has nothing to do with my side/your side.

Bringing up his appearance on a late night talk show is false equivalency at best.

1. He didn't insult anyone by doing it.
2. Playing a half-ass rendition of late 50's rock for a couple of minutes in the early 90's probably shouldn't have been controversial to anyone, unless they were making a huge reach as an excuse to get their panties into a bunch.
3. There was no political message attached to it, other than "look at me! I'm young, hip and cool!" Every candidate since the dawn of time has tried to bullshit their way into making their constituents/potential voters think that their shit doesn't stink.

At the end of the day it's none of our business who he sleeps with. However, he's fair game with how things went down with him using his office inappropriately, and him lying about it afterwards. But calling him out for wearing sunglasses, and playing a sax?
All of this has happened before and all of this will happen again

Offline Stadler

• DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #166 on: July 03, 2017, 09:15:19 AM »

Getting a little tired that a lot of the times you "agree" with people, you then accompany it with a backhanded compliment.  Your implication here is that I'm picking my "standard" with the aim of still being able to rag on Grabby, and it is insulting.  YOU are better than this.

Except it's not about me.   I AM better than this, and I'm trying to show it in every post.  Take the topic at face value and assess, or reassess.  You haven't made one effort to be fair in your evaluation.   When have I resorted to "Grabby" to refer to my President?   Yes, he is OUR President (I know not yours).   I never resorted to "Obummer" or any of that nonsense either, for someone who was also MY President.   

First, one would think (the royal) you would ALWAYS be worried about "higher standards" for POTUS - otherwise you've allowed yourself to normalize this shit-show.  Second, why the need to make his behaviour relative to a historical comparison?  We're not talking about anyone else's past transgressions - bringing it up is simply a means of deflection.  Trump's playbook has bled into your own psyche it would seem.  You weaken your argument if all you can do is make an issue 'not as bad' as the past. 

"Your honor... the bruises my client left on her face aren't nearly as bad as the broken bones her ex-husband gave her"

You don't have to use the royal "you".  It applies to me.  I am DEEPLY troubled by the lack of higher standards for our President and our politicians in general.   But you're making my point for me:  this nonsense about "normalizing" this "shit show".  Haven't you been paying attention to the "shit show" that is American politics and has been since, as far as I can tell, somewhere around the mid-90's?   This idea that somehow Trump is an abomination that can't be "normalized"; what we have in Trump has BEEN normalized for over a decade now.  He is the inevitable, logical, and unavoidable result of where we've been headed for a LONG time now, and it's just partisan politics to say otherwise.   

If you want to worry about "normalizing" things, how about these (for starters):
- that we can effectively - or even half-assedly - discuss the politics of 325 million people and a $20 trillion economy in "140 characters or less"
- that we can accurately or effectively cover all the political and social ideas of 325 million people by a simple choice of "Clinton" or "Trump" (or any other rep of our two-party system).
- that our opinions matter over fact, reason or logic
- that the identity politics of a distinct minority of the population (often falling within the statistical margin of error) overwhelms and trumps the economic and legal politics of the rest of the population
- that somehow government and/or media (social or otherwise) usurps our need to do our own due diligence, and our right to have a differing opinion, even if others find that opinion "odious".
- that somehow what I think (or any one person) is somehow relevant or meaningful in the big picture.

You seem to be forgetting that Trump was not elected by a small pack of racist, misogynist bigots but rather a distinct group of cross-party people that were TIRED of the same old same old.  They were TIRED of being told what to be fearful of.  They were TIRED of being told that their jobs had to wait while we figured out what bathrooms people could use.   They were TIRED of being told that even though we're under attack by a subset of the Muslim faith, we couldn't ACTUALLY say that because it was "offensive" to some.   

Offline Stadler

• DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #167 on: July 03, 2017, 09:30:25 AM »
but at least I've been saying this since Bill appeared in "Risky Business" sunglasses and a saxophone on Arsenio Hall.     

I voted against Bill, so my next statement has nothing to do with my side/your side.

Bringing up his appearance on a late night talk show is false equivalency at best.

1. He didn't insult anyone by doing it.
2. Playing a half-ass rendition of late 50's rock for a couple of minutes in the early 90's probably shouldn't have been controversial to anyone, unless they were making a huge reach as an excuse to get their panties into a bunch.
3. There was no political message attached to it, other than "look at me! I'm young, hip and cool!" Every candidate since the dawn of time has tried to bullshit their way into making their constituents/potential voters think that their shit doesn't stink.

At the end of the day it's none of our business who he sleeps with. However, he's fair game with how things went down with him using his office inappropriately, and him lying about it afterwards. But calling him out for wearing sunglasses, and playing a sax?

Respectfully, you're missing my point.   And this from someone who didn't vote for him at the time, but would give a finger to have him be President now (I think he will ultimately go down as one of our ten best Presidents, though time will tell). 

There are actually TWO things relevant in your post, though they are related:   

One, it wasn't bad "per se", but it did open the door to this collegial, relaxed, "I'm just a mirror for my people" way of looking at Presidents.   I'm old enough to remember when a President - or even a CANDIDATE for President - NEVER appeared on late night television.   Before Bill, there were only two active candidates to appear on late night (and if you know anything about the development of television coverage of politics, you know they are sort of an anomaly; Kennedy in '60, and Nixon in '68). Fast forward to Obama "slow-jamming the news" on Fallon.    Are recreational drugs bad?  Not in and of themselves, but they do have the potential to be abused.   

And two, YOU'RE apparently okay with what Bill did, but what if you're not?  Isn't that what all of this boils down to?   You seem to feel that what goes on in someone's pants is their bidniss and their bidniss only.  I don't disagree in the general population.    But what if that activity compromises their decision-making?   Not really for you or me to call, is it?   Since when did our own personal social politics become anything more than simply our reason for a vote?   Since when did the mores of some subset of the population now get to drive policy (the "policy" being, it is apparently okay to bang interns - illegal or at least immoral in almost any other setting due to the power differential; I can't, for example, have relations with a subordinate to me in my current company - but it's somehow not okay to reference someone's plastic surgery in a Tweet)?

My comments here are not to defend Trump - I'll say for the 100th time, didn't like him then, didn't vote for him then, don't like him now, wouldn't vote for him now - but rather to defend intellectual honesty, something that seems to be sorely lacking in most of the political discourse today (present company largely excluded). 

Online PowerSlave

« Reply #168 on: July 03, 2017, 09:47:20 AM »
And two, YOU'RE apparently okay with what Bill did, but what if you're not?  Isn't that what all of this boils down to?   You seem to feel that what goes on in someone's pants is their bidniss and their bidniss only.  I don't disagree in the general population.    But what if that activity compromises their decision-making?

It did compromise him. No argument from that stand point. However, if he hadn't slept with an intern and then used his office to mess with the outcome, then I'd be ok with it. All those other women that he supposedly slept with? More power to him if that's how he wants to live his life. Do I think that it's ok to do that when you're married? Depends on the agreement that a person has with their SO. It's none of the general public's business until the Monica situation happened.

As to your other point, I highly doubt that those are the first examples of a President/candidate using the "I'm just like you" bullshit. There have been several in the past that were "common" people. Lincoln comes to mind ect. ect... Sure, things changed and TV is a different medium, but it's been used many times before.

Offline Stadler

• DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #169 on: July 03, 2017, 09:56:23 AM »
And two, YOU'RE apparently okay with what Bill did, but what if you're not?  Isn't that what all of this boils down to?   You seem to feel that what goes on in someone's pants is their bidniss and their bidniss only.  I don't disagree in the general population.    But what if that activity compromises their decision-making?

It did compromise him. No argument from that stand point. However, if he hadn't slept with an intern and then used his office to mess with the outcome, then I'd be ok with it. All those other women that he supposedly slept with? More power to him if that's how he wants to live his life. Do I think that it's ok to do that when you're married? Depends on the agreement that a person has with their SO. It's none of the general public's business until the Monica situation happened.

I posted a comparison here back during the election, pitting Trump versus Clinton, and in terms of the number of claims, severity of claims, and veracity of claims, Clinton had Trump beat up, down and sideways.  Yet, Trump is the "misogynist" and called "Grabby".  I'm talking less about the act itself (I happen to agree with you; who I sleep with and when is between me, that person, and, if I have a committed partner and it's not them, them) and the evaluation of that act and the conclusions drawn.   

I don't want to open that can of worms again, but in this context, I'm hard pressed to see how Trump saying he COULD (not DID, but COULD) grab a woman by the pussy and they let him, said to a slimy, manipulative journalist on a bus is OBJECTIVELY worse than a sitting President, luring an intern into his office, sticking a cigar in her vagina and leaving his seed on her dress for her to clean up - all things she later came to regret doing, so there can be concluded at least SOME coercion involved.     

As to your other point, I highly doubt that those are the first examples of a President/candidate using the "I'm just like you" bullshit. There have been several in the past that were "common" people. Lincoln comes to mind ect. ect... Sure, things changed and TV is a different medium, but it's been used many times before.

Well, I understand your point, and I don't disagree, but there is a cultural relevance and a cultural context to all this that we can't lose.   Put it a different way, you're talking about the medium itself, and I'm talking about the PERCEPTION of that media, and the way that media is used/abused.   TV was a force in our society WELL before President's started using it.   Walter Cronkite was a symbol of fact and objectivity.  He was the voice of reason that we allowed into our homes.  In that context, TV was more immediate, but it didn't change the message all that much.  Even with TV (which Kennedy largely missed), it was still professional, and objective.    Clinton changed the message.  He wasn't there debating the merits of his healthcare proposal, or his decision to maintain some of the Reagan tax cuts.   He was showing how "cool" he was.    When Obama slow-jammed the news, he wasn't advocating for gays in the military.  As much as I object to Twitter as a medium - and oh, Lord, I object - I think you - and Jingle - will agree that the problem with Trump is less that he is using Twitter, but HOW he is using Twitter.  Once Clinton and Obama made it clear that you didn't have to stay ON PLATFORM all the time - that you could show your irrelevant humanity - it made it clear that Trump could too.   That you (or I) don't like that he's taken it darker is sort of irrelevant, and a matter of subjectivity.    The question is, why is he even at that point?   
« Last Edit: July 03, 2017, 10:04:37 AM by Stadler »

Offline XeRocks81

« Reply #170 on: July 03, 2017, 10:10:02 AM »
I don't think humanity is irrelevant

edit: to clarify,  Trump's tweets give a look into who he is.  And as calculated as the sax playing and basketball playing is, it does  as well. 

Online PowerSlave

« Reply #171 on: July 03, 2017, 01:20:36 PM »
Well, I understand your point, and I don't disagree, but there is a cultural relevance and a cultural context to all this that we can't lose.   Put it a different way, you're talking about the medium itself, and I'm talking about the PERCEPTION of that media, and the way that media is used/abused.   TV was a force in our society WELL before President's started using it.   Walter Cronkite was a symbol of fact and objectivity.  He was the voice of reason that we allowed into our homes.  In that context, TV was more immediate, but it didn't change the message all that much.  Even with TV (which Kennedy largely missed), it was still professional, and objective.    Clinton changed the message.  He wasn't there debating the merits of his healthcare proposal, or his decision to maintain some of the Reagan tax cuts.   He was showing how "cool" he was.    When Obama slow-jammed the news, he wasn't advocating for gays in the military.  As much as I object to Twitter as a medium - and oh, Lord, I object - I think you - and Jingle - will agree that the problem with Trump is less that he is using Twitter, but HOW he is using Twitter.  Once Clinton and Obama made it clear that you didn't have to stay ON PLATFORM all the time - that you could show your irrelevant humanity - it made it clear that Trump could too.   That you (or I) don't like that he's taken it darker is sort of irrelevant, and a matter of subjectivity.    The question is, why is he even at that point?

Nixon went on "Laugh In" during the '68 campaign.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=NLjgqVQpFHg

Offline Stadler

• DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #172 on: July 03, 2017, 02:34:53 PM »
I don't think humanity is irrelevant

edit: to clarify,  Trump's tweets give a look into who he is.  And as calculated as the sax playing and basketball playing is, it does  as well.

I would argue that they all give a look into the person, but the real meaning of that look is missed by most.  Trump is the first "Republican" in a long time where the issue is about HIM personally.   Clinton (both of them), Obama, Gore, far more about the person and the legacy than their supporters think.  Clinton liked being a "ROCK STAR", and I think Obama has that too.  Bush Jr. didn't, Bush Sr. certainly didn't...  but Trump does. 

Offline XeRocks81

« Reply #173 on: July 03, 2017, 02:47:51 PM »
edit : forget it

Offline KevShmev

• EZBoard Elder
« Reply #174 on: July 03, 2017, 03:19:09 PM »

I don't know. 

I mean, yes, it's a joke, but that doesn't exactly comfort me.  All it means is that the president of the United States (a president who has declared that the media is an enemy of the American people, mind you - was that a joke, too?) thinks it's totally funny to joke about assaulting a news organization. 

What would comfort me would be to see him stop telling jokes and start taking his job seriously.  He is the president of the United States.

It's a choreographed (and not real) assault.  You know that in wrestling they aren't really punching each other, right?

That said, I agree with your last statement.  The next day he takes the job seriously will be his first.

Obama whined about Fox News a little too much, but Trump has taken it to a whole new level with CNN.  I get that he can't get over how in the tank the Clinton News Network
was for their namesake, but it's just stupid to obsess over stuff like this.

It would barely qualify as funny if he was JUST the Celebrity Apprentice "star".  As POTUS, it's just ludicrous.  This might appeal to his most hardcore supporters, but to those on the fringe that are in the 'give him tim / a chance' camp, they've got to be running low of hope/patience when he pulls shit like this.

My parents, who are both 70, are pretty darn conservative (they vote GOP no matter what).  Neither were that wild about Trump, but he was the GOP candidate, so he got their votes.  My mom has called him an embarrassment more than a few times lately, and my dad just shakes his head (ya know, that "I can't believe what an idiot he is" head shake).