Author Topic: The 8 member Supreme Court tally sheet  (Read 8559 times)

Offline Chino

• Be excellent to each other.
  • DT.net Veteran
Re: The 8 member Supreme Court tally sheet
« Reply #210 on: September 06, 2018, 06:08:02 AM »
I don't think there's a chance in hell a Hillary nomination would have gotten a hearing. They'd be neck deep in an investigation right now, and McConnell would be proudly declaring that it would not be fit to have a hearing for her nominee if her selection might ultimately end up ruling on her case.

Offline Stadler

• DTF.org Alumni
  • Pointing out the "unfunny" since 2017!
« Reply #211 on: September 06, 2018, 07:32:13 AM »
I don't think there's a chance in hell a Hillary nomination would have gotten a hearing. They'd be neck deep in an investigation right now, and McConnell would be proudly declaring that it would not be fit to have a hearing for her nominee if her selection might ultimately end up ruling on her case.

Maybe, maybe not.  I think that kind of thought is speculative, and assumes a LOT.  One, that a Hillary victory in the White House would have meant a Republican house and Senate.  Two, that there would be an investigation of Hillary (I don't believe that's a given at all, in fact, I believe there WOULDN'T be an investigation).  Three, that McConnell is still the head of Senate Republicans.    Four, that Kennedy would have retired.   

At the end of the day, the Democrats grand-standing is just that.   Kavanaugh is going to get confirmed.   There's little question about that.  And despite Kirsten Gillebrand's fear-mongering ("Truly, women will die if Kavanaugh is confirmed") the world will move on as it was, fundamental rights under the Constitution will remain intact and the Browns will continue to suck.   

You can, though, get a nice look at what the field might look like in 2020...   

Offline Stadler

• DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #212 on: September 06, 2018, 07:35:45 AM »
Sidebar: interesting how when you Google "Kirsten Gillebrand" only one entry comes up detailing her protesting and her atrocious statement yesterday.  She's not a minor player, she's a U.S. Senator making unconscionable, provably wrong (in terms of her legal analysis; she's a lawyer, she knows better), dangerous statements and the only headline that covers that is "Breitbart"?   

Offline El Barto

• DTF.org Alumni
  • Bad Craziness
« Reply #213 on: September 06, 2018, 09:52:47 AM »

Maybe, maybe not.  I think that kind of thought is speculative, and assumes a LOT.  One, that a Hillary victory in the White House would have meant a Republican house and Senate.  Two, that there would be an investigation of Hillary (I don't believe that's a given at all, in fact, I believe there WOULDN'T be an investigation).  Three, that McConnell is still the head of Senate Republicans.    Four, that Kennedy would have retired.   

At the end of the day, the Democrats grand-standing is just that.   Kavanaugh is going to get confirmed.   There's little question about that.  And despite Kirsten Gillebrand's fear-mongering ("Truly, women will die if Kavanaugh is confirmed") the world will move on as it was, fundamental rights under the Constitution will remain intact and the Browns will continue to suck.   

You left out the fact that the republicans grandstanding is just that. Kavanaugh will be confirmed no matter what. If you want to dispute the cause of it so be it. We both have our opinions. If you want to dispute that this is a farce all the way around I don't know what to tell you.

If Kavanaugh admitted under this questioning that he gets drunk every night and bangs his youngest daughter would it change the final tally by even a single vote? It would still be a 52-48 vote, and if it weren't the greater likelihood would be a democrat defector who "likes the cut of his jib."
Argument, the presentation of reasonable views, never makes headway against conviction, and conviction takes no part in argument because it knows.
E.F. Benson

Offline Stadler

• DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #214 on: September 06, 2018, 11:47:48 AM »

You left out the fact that the republicans grandstanding is just that. Kavanaugh will be confirmed no matter what. If you want to dispute the cause of it so be it. We both have our opinions. If you want to dispute that this is a farce all the way around I don't know what to tell you.

Well, I don't know what to tell you; it's not a farce from the "advice and consent" standpoint.  This is how it's done.  It is a farce in how these boobs (I'm being facetious, though I'm also referring to both sides here) are interpreting "advice and consent". 

If Kavanaugh admitted under this questioning that he gets drunk every night and bangs his youngest daughter would it change the final tally by even a single vote? It would still be a 52-48 vote, and if it weren't the greater likelihood would be a democrat defector who "likes the cut of his jib."

I must be na´ve; I think it would matter.  I've been right way more often than not in the last two years or so about these matters, but I'm not perfect, and I've severely underestimated the direction in which Trump would escalate over the past 18 months, and the degree to which the opposition would escalate in that same 18 months.  So maybe I'm overestimating the good nature and human decency of some of these people, but I'd like to think that the line would be drawn. 

Offline cramx3

• Chillest of the chill
  • DTF.org Alumni
    • The Home of cramx3
« Reply #215 on: September 19, 2018, 03:34:43 PM »
Can someone who is more knowledgeable than me explain why a Supreme Court member gets a life term?  That doesn't make sense to me, but maybe there is a good reason for it

Offline El Barto

• DTF.org Alumni
  • Bad Craziness
« Reply #216 on: September 19, 2018, 03:38:48 PM »
Can someone who is more knowledgeable than me explain why a Supreme Court member gets a life term?  That doesn't make sense to me, but maybe there is a good reason for it
Presumably so that they're not subject to the whims of a fickle electorate or an asshole politician. Frankly, it does seem like a single 10 year term or something would accomplish the same goals.
Argument, the presentation of reasonable views, never makes headway against conviction, and conviction takes no part in argument because it knows.
E.F. Benson

Offline cramx3

• Chillest of the chill
  • DTF.org Alumni
    • The Home of cramx3
« Reply #217 on: September 19, 2018, 03:41:54 PM »
Presumably so that they're not subject to the whims of a fickle electorate or an asshole politician. Frankly, it does seem like a single 10 year term or something would accomplish the same goals.

Even 20 years, or set a max age too.  I dont know, the more I think about it and how our government has gone so foul that the Supreme Court has become so important for shaping the laws of this country, that the idea of a nominee having so much power for so long seems a bit ridiculous. 

Offline axeman90210

• Official Minister of Awesome, and Veronica knows my name!
  • DTF.org Alumni
  • Never go full Nick
« Reply #218 on: September 19, 2018, 04:09:12 PM »
I liked the idea of 18 year terms so that there's a regular appointment every two years and theoretically every president would get the same number of confirmations.
Photobucket sucks.

Offline El Barto

• DTF.org Alumni
  • Bad Craziness
« Reply #219 on: September 19, 2018, 05:17:14 PM »
I liked the idea of 18 year terms so that there's a regular appointment every two years and theoretically every president would get the same number of confirmations.
That's not bad. But I think there's also a component that it should be an institution and not a revolving door.
E.F. Benson

Offline Stadler

• DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #220 on: September 20, 2018, 10:10:02 AM »
Let me turn that around:  why - given that the President has limits (two four-year terms), and Congress has per se limits (they have to "test" their appropriateness with a periodic election) - do we need term limits for judges?   

Offline Cool Chris

• DTF.org Alumni
  • Rest in Peace
« Reply #221 on: September 20, 2018, 10:22:21 AM »
Because no public servant, elected or appointed, should have a guaranteed position for life, without any possibility for evaluation, review, or any other condition of employment that pretty much every other working person in the world has.
"Nostalgia is just the ability to forget the things that sucked" - Nelson DeMille, 'Up Country'

Offline El Barto

• DTF.org Alumni
  • Bad Craziness
« Reply #222 on: September 20, 2018, 11:23:06 AM »
Because no public servant, elected or appointed, should have a guaranteed position for life, without any possibility for evaluation, review, or any other condition of employment that pretty much every other working person in the world has.
In theory they do have a condition of employment. A justice can be impeached at any time. The reality is that they're bulletproof in the joke of a system we currently work within. If Samuel Alito turned out to be the I-65 Killer it wouldn't garner the 2/3 majority needed to oust him.
E.F. Benson