Author Topic: Trump Tweets (sorry Stadler)  (Read 8208 times)

Online Chino

• Be excellent to each other.
  • DT.net Veteran
Trump Tweets (sorry Stadler)
« on: January 12, 2017, 11:57:15 AM »
Figured we'll have plenty to discuss in this thread.

I am really not okay with this.

Maybe I'm over thinking it, but this doesn't sit well with me in any capacity. Trump has shown repeatedly that his tweets have the power to tank or raise a stock. He, his family, and his other business associates have hundreds of millions of dollars spread throughout the market, and I can't help but think that intentional market manipulation won't come into play at some point. It also demonstrates, at least to me, that he's willing to play favorites in exchange for praise or cash. Linda Bean 'donates' $60,000 to MAGA LLC, and in return she gets a Tweet. Seems ripe for abuse. 

Online cramx3

• Chillest of the chill
  • DTF.org Alumni
    • The Home of cramx3
Re: Trump Tweets
« Reply #1 on: January 12, 2017, 11:59:56 AM »
I hate everything about him tweeting.  I would love for him to hand over his account to someone else to run and only tweet things that a President should tweet (I really don't even like the idea of a president being on twitter, but maybe that's an old school mentality).

Offline Adami

• DTF.org Alumni
Re: Trump Tweets (sorry Stadler)
« Reply #2 on: January 12, 2017, 12:02:08 PM »
His tweets are 100% responsible for me looking at anybodies twitter. I have no twitter account, and read no one's twitter......except Trump's. That man's tweets are just so damn entertaining.
fanticide.bandcamp.com

Online cramx3

• Chillest of the chill
  • DTF.org Alumni
    • The Home of cramx3
« Reply #3 on: January 12, 2017, 12:03:54 PM »
His tweets are 100% responsible for me looking at anybodies twitter. I have no twitter account, and read no one's twitter......except Trump's. That man's tweets are just so damn entertaining.

My brother in law just signed up for twitter for one reason, to follow Trump.  You can't deny the entertainment value, but the entertainment is coming at all our expense sadly.

Online Chino

• DT.net Veteran
« Reply #4 on: January 12, 2017, 12:15:59 PM »

My brother in law just signed up for twitter for one reason, to follow Trump.  You can't deny the entertainment value, but the entertainment is coming at all our expense sadly.

Quick derail... I'm no good at what relationships equal what title, but how do you have a brother in law if you're not married?

Offline Adami

• DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #5 on: January 12, 2017, 12:16:50 PM »

Quick derail... I'm no good at what relationships equal what title, but how do you have a brother in law if you're not married?

He could have a married sister or brother.
fanticide.bandcamp.com

Online cramx3

• Chillest of the chill
  • DTF.org Alumni
    • The Home of cramx3
« Reply #6 on: January 12, 2017, 12:19:20 PM »

He could have a married sister or brother.

yes, I have two married sisters.  My older sister's husband is a big time democrat and who I was referencing.  He's great though to talk to about politics because he's smart and not a dick about it.  My father's a big time republican who is not as easy to talk to so those two go at it a lot, but I have some good convos with him sometimes.

Offline 7th

« Reply #7 on: January 12, 2017, 12:31:18 PM »
I agree with Chino's observation that this is ripe for abuse.  Yet, as an old school (read middle age) technologist who has always questioned the pros and cons of social media, I think we have to accept the brave new world we have created and the potential abuses that come with a technology driven humanity.  I actually find Trump's use of social media an indicator of his ability to lead a nation of device addicts and instant gratification junkies.  Trump tweets are extremely effective marketing, and yes, the POTUS must market himself and his supporters, that is simply part of the game.  As I said in another post, Trump has created a persona that feeds on the negativity of his detractors.  I called him winning this over a year ago and I made that loose prediction based on the phenomenon by which he actually gets more popular the more "outraged" the progressive left are at his silly comments.  Right now the progressive left is dead, completely out of political power, and its remaining negative energy towards Trump only makes him more loved by his supporters.  It's absolutely amazing and I just fucking love every bit of it.  To quote Michael Moore, it is the biggest FUCK YOU in human history.  So my advice to those who do not support Trump: ignore him, don't spend energy on how he scares you or how you hate everything he stands for because it is that negative energy that makes him more powerful.  It's like a weird version of The Force or something. :-)
« Last Edit: January 12, 2017, 01:15:36 PM by 7th »
"Political correctness is fascism pretending to be manners" - George Carlin

Online El Barto

• DTF.org Alumni
  • Bad Craziness
« Reply #8 on: January 12, 2017, 12:36:09 PM »
It had never occurred to me that in-law-ness was reciprocal. I only ever thought of it as one way. In that you're your sister's husband's brother in-law. Not that he was also yours. But of course it is and hes is. Just hadn't considered it.

The tweet's problematic. However, as I keep saying, the bigger issue is that he could never understand why. Trying to prohibit him from doing silly things isn't going to help because he's just going to push back.
Argument, the presentation of reasonable views, never makes headway against conviction, and conviction takes no part in argument because it knows.
E.F. Benson

Online cramx3

• Chillest of the chill
  • DTF.org Alumni
    • The Home of cramx3
« Reply #9 on: January 12, 2017, 12:39:11 PM »
The tweet's problematic. However, as I keep saying, the bigger issue is that he could never understand why. Trying to prohibit him from doing silly things isn't going to help because he's just going to push back.

Of course, I don't think there is any way of stopping him. 

I watched a video that was being shared a bunch on facebook about how social media is addicting.  I believe it and it's pretty clear that Trump is addicted to the "likes" and attention when he tweets.  It might also explain the 3am tweeting, when no one else wants to give him attention, he will go to twitter to feed his addiction. 

Offline 7th

« Reply #10 on: January 12, 2017, 12:48:42 PM »
However, as I keep saying, the bigger issue is that he could never understand why. Trying to prohibit him from doing silly things isn't going to help because he's just going to push back.

Because he knows what he's doing playing a game at a level he's been at for decades.  His frame of reference is vastly different than most so assuming he "could never understand" is unfair.  Maybe he understands perfectly and knows exactly what he's doing?  Trump, I would guarantee, is working in a totally different frame of reference than any previous President-elect.  He's also not a politician so he will take leaps and risks that NO politician would ever make.  Risks lead to rewards.  I say let him do his thing, it may work out better for the country.  If he fails miserably, he be out in four years.  The country has already been decimated by the last four presidents, no harm in giving an outsider a shot at this point. 

Online El Barto

• DTF.org Alumni
  • Bad Craziness
« Reply #11 on: January 12, 2017, 12:56:32 PM »
His frame of reference is vastly different than most so assuming he "could never understand" is unfair.
Nonsense. Even if he's the brilliant strategist you make him out to be, there have been countless opportunities for him to demonstrate that he has the capacity to understand the hows and whys without undermining his game. Instead he doubles down like the impulsive manchild he is.
Argument, the presentation of reasonable views, never makes headway against conviction, and conviction takes no part in argument because it knows.
E.F. Benson

Online kingshmegland

• defender of the brew!
  • DTF.org Alumni
  • Take that Beethoven, you deaf bastard!!
« Reply #12 on: January 12, 2017, 01:03:26 PM »
I don't even follow Trump but I see every Tweet of his s cell he is so polarizing for all other Tweeters I follow.
I don't like country music, but I don't mean to denigrate those who do. And for the people who like country music, denigrate means 'put down'. - Bob Newhart

So wait, we're spelling it wrong and king is spelling it right? What is going on here? :lol -- BlobVanDam

Offline 7th

« Reply #13 on: January 12, 2017, 01:11:12 PM »
His frame of reference is vastly different than most so assuming he "could never understand" is unfair.
Nonsense. Even if he's the brilliant strategist you make him out to be, there have been countless opportunities for him to demonstrate that he has the capacity to understand the hows and whys without undermining his game. Instead he doubles down like the impulsive manchild he is.

Undermining his game?  Doubling down?  He won the POTUS position against all odds.  Seems to me he knows exactly what he's doing and it's working out okay for him.  Why not just let him do his thing?  He's good at it, people are entertained by it which keeps them engaged in the national conversation.  It's really pretty cool when looked at positively.

Online cramx3

• Chillest of the chill
  • DTF.org Alumni
    • The Home of cramx3
« Reply #14 on: January 12, 2017, 01:19:47 PM »

Undermining his game?  Doubling down?  He won the POTUS position against all odds.  Seems to me he knows exactly what he's doing and it's working out okay for him.  Why not just let him do his thing?  He's good at it, people are entertained by it which keeps them engaged in the national conversation.  It's really pretty cool when looked at positively.

The national conversation on politics sucks and is not about entertaining the masses IMO.  It's hardly a conversation.  Also, Trump thought he was going to lose so I'm not sold that he knows exactly what he is doing.  I don't even think it's possible since he was not a politician.  I do think he is smarter than most give him credit for though and I do think his twitter account is a powerful tool, I just personally don't like it.

Offline Sir GuitarCozmo

• Official Forum Sous Chef and broler5
  • DTF.org Alumni
  • whahibrido pickingant in action...
« Reply #15 on: January 12, 2017, 01:28:08 PM »
people are entertained by it

This is part of the problem.  Despite being a reality TV star, this isn't reality TV.  This is the governing of our country.  It isn't something I or most other people, truly wish to be entertained by.

Online El Barto

• DTF.org Alumni
  • Bad Craziness
« Reply #16 on: January 12, 2017, 01:41:21 PM »
I don't think he's stupid at all. I think he's shallow. I think he's a halfway bright guy with the emotional maturity of a 12 year old and similarly undeveloped reasoning skills. I agree with 7th that he's playing a good game. At the same time he's given me no reason to think that it is a game. In fact he's convincing me more and more that he actually is every bit as simpleminded as he comes across.
E.F. Benson

Online Chino

• DT.net Veteran
« Reply #17 on: January 12, 2017, 01:47:04 PM »
I look at him as an idiot savant (that's a real thing) of sorts. He's brilliant when it comes to negotiating and arranging deals like a game of chess, but he's handicapped basically everywhere else.

Offline Stadler

• DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #18 on: January 12, 2017, 01:51:58 PM »
^^ I don't think that's literally true, but it's a good way of saying it to get the point across.   

John Adams just shit his angel smock. 

Online Chino

• DT.net Veteran
« Reply #19 on: January 12, 2017, 01:55:01 PM »
^^ I don't think that's literally true, but it's a good way of saying it to get the point across.   

John Adams just shit his angel smock.

That's why I added "of sorts". Most idiot savants while brilliant in one area, are so mentally challenged elsewhere they can hardly communicate. Kim Peek isn't able to dress himself.

Offline lonestar

• DTF Executive Head Chef
  • Official DTF Tour Guide
  • First Follower
    • Lady Obscure Music Magazine
« Reply #20 on: January 12, 2017, 03:50:41 PM »
Yup, I'll admit to blowing the dust of my Twitter and following him, the shit shows that follow each tweet are just too entertaining. But I agree with the OP that the potential for wrong is just too immense.
Quote from: nightmare_cinema
So should lonestar and I have babies or something now, is that how this works?
Dang, you're easily the coolest fogey I know of

Offline Ben_Jamin

• Do a nice one for grandma
« Reply #21 on: January 13, 2017, 03:52:29 PM »
I agree with Chino's observation that this is ripe for abuse.  Yet, as an old school (read middle age) technologist who has always questioned the pros and cons of social media, I think we have to accept the brave new world we have created and the potential abuses that come with a technology driven humanity.  I actually find Trump's use of social media an indicator of his ability to lead a nation of device addicts and instant gratification junkies.  Trump tweets are extremely effective marketing, and yes, the POTUS must market himself and his supporters, that is simply part of the game.  As I said in another post, Trump has created a persona that feeds on the negativity of his detractors.  I called him winning this over a year ago and I made that loose prediction based on the phenomenon by which he actually gets more popular the more "outraged" the progressive left are at his silly comments.  Right now the progressive left is dead, completely out of political power, and its remaining negative energy towards Trump only makes him more loved by his supporters.  It's absolutely amazing and I just fucking love every bit of it.  To quote Michael Moore, it is the biggest FUCK YOU in human history.  So my advice to those who do not support Trump: ignore him, don't spend energy on how he scares you or how you hate everything he stands for because it is that negative energy that makes him more powerful.  It's like a weird version of The Force or something. :-)

Where's that clap emoji?...I feel exactly the same way.
I don't know how they can be so proud of winning with them odds. - Little Big Man

I Love You...Poppin Fresh

Online ReaperKK

• Sweeter After Difficulty
  • DT.net Veteran
« Reply #22 on: January 13, 2017, 05:32:59 PM »
Trumps tweets are pretty much the only ones I follow, I'm really curious what his twitter activity is going to be like when he takes office.

As for the LL Bean tweet, it really rubs me the wrong way.

Offline pogoowner

• Pancake Bunny
  • DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #23 on: January 13, 2017, 09:23:20 PM »
Man, if you guys are using Twitter solely for Trump, I wouldn't even bother. :lol The nightly news and every other media outlet basically screenshots his tweets for you daily anyway. Twitter is an awesome tool for news or any topic of interest, but it's only as good as you make it.

Offline eric42434224

• Wilson
« Reply #24 on: January 14, 2017, 02:13:09 PM »
The POTUS should not post tweets expressing his love or hate for businesses or people, especially in such a bias, personal, and usually childish manner.  Wholly inappropriate for the office.
Oh shit, you're right!

rumborak

Rumborak to me 10/29

Offline KevShmev

• EZBoard Elder
« Reply #25 on: January 14, 2017, 03:08:57 PM »
The POTUS should not post tweets expressing his love or hate for businesses or people, especially in such a bias, personal, and usually childish manner.  Wholly inappropriate for the office.

When did Obama do that?

Offline eric42434224

• Wilson
« Reply #26 on: January 14, 2017, 03:21:55 PM »
The POTUS, or POTUS Elect should not post tweets expressing his love or hate for businesses or people, especially in such a bias, personal, and usually childish manner.  Wholly inappropriate for the office.

When did Obama do that?

Fixes
Oh shit, you're right!

rumborak

Rumborak to me 10/29

Offline KevShmev

• EZBoard Elder
« Reply #27 on: January 14, 2017, 03:28:37 PM »
That's better.  :biggrin:

I would say I am surprised that no one on his team has told him to lay off the tweets again, but I doubt he'd listen to anybody at this point.

Offline 7th

« Reply #28 on: January 14, 2017, 03:50:49 PM »

Was it wholly inappropriate for the office when Obama used to tweet about his favorite sports teams or promoting his favorite sports figures or hip hop artists?  I think people are making WAY too much out of Trump's tweets.  I also suspect they'll be toned down considerably after the inauguration.   

Online Chino

• DT.net Veteran
« Reply #29 on: January 14, 2017, 05:39:24 PM »

Was it wholly inappropriate for the office when Obama used to tweet about his favorite sports teams or promoting his favorite sports figures or hip hop artists?  I think people are making WAY too much out of Trump's tweets.  I also suspect they'll be toned down considerably after the inauguration.

Dude. C'mon.
« Last Edit: January 14, 2017, 06:28:53 PM by Chino »

Online El Barto

• DTF.org Alumni
  • Bad Craziness
« Reply #30 on: January 16, 2017, 08:44:45 AM »
I'm really surprised people aren't picking up the President Camacho vibe here. He's inching closer every day.
E.F. Benson

Online ReaperKK

• Sweeter After Difficulty
  • DT.net Veteran
« Reply #31 on: January 16, 2017, 02:54:15 PM »

Dude. C'mon.

I have to agree with Chino. It's one thing the root for a sports team it's another to endorse a company simply on personal endorsement of your presidential campaign.

Offline TAC

• DTF.org Alumni
  • Just a decent, normal metal-head fellow
« Reply #32 on: January 16, 2017, 03:02:29 PM »
I don't think that's quite it. He's basically defending someone because some clowns decided to boycott LL Bean based on the political contributions of a board member. If that doesn't happen, LL Bean is not getting a Trump tweet sent their way.
would have thought the same thing but seeing the OP was TAC i immediately thought Maiden or DT related
Winger Theater Forums................or WTF.  ;D

Offline XJDenton

• What a shame
  • Global Moderator
« Reply #33 on: January 17, 2017, 12:48:25 AM »
I'm really surprised people aren't picking up the President Camacho vibe here. He's inching closer every day.

Unfair comparison. Camacho recognised and deferred to people smarter than him.

Offline Adami

• DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #34 on: January 17, 2017, 01:06:10 AM »

I feel like people have been comparing this to idiocracy for months. I know I have.
fanticide.bandcamp.com