Author Topic: John Petrucci: Does he have a distinct style?  (Read 11185 times)

Online Adami

• Moderator of awesomeness
Re: John Petrucci: Does he have a distinct style?
« Reply #105 on: January 21, 2017, 11:15:39 PM »
While there's no doubt that John is a master guitarist, the thing that makes him stand out to me is not his playing but his writing. He has written so many memorable guitar melodies and riffs and it seems that every solo he writes fits perfectly with the song. Look at the contrast between the solos in songs like As I Am and Under a Glass Moon. They're both great solos that are completely different styles and fit the song perfectly. Then you have his riffs. Looking at his solo stuff, he came out with Jaws of Life, a chugging metal powerhouse of a riff, and Glasgow Kiss, a string skipping melodic masterpiece. They are both so different yet both memorable and catchy. He's mastered so many styles and incorporates all of them into his music flawlessly. That to me is what defines JP a a guitar player.

Yea, what sets him apart is definitely his writing ability. You can find a million unknown guitarists who can play every DT song backwards and forwards, but will likely never write a great riff or solo in their lives. JP takes that immense skill and uses it to fully express his creativity.
fanticide.bandcamp.com

Offline Stewie

• Evil Baby
  • Banned
  • Football for a head
« Reply #106 on: January 22, 2017, 12:31:40 AM »
You can find a million unknown guitarists who can play every DT song backwards and forwards, but will likely never write a great riff or solo in their lives.

While I get what you're trying to say, I don't think that's a fair assumption to make. I'm not trying to pick an argument or anything, but there are so many incredibly gifted guitarists out there; it seems a bit silly to assume that just because they're unknown, their playing isn't as great. Fame shouldn't be the determining factor on whether or not someone can "write a great riff or solo". There's also no need to degrade unknown guitarists to put Petrucci on a pedestal - he's awesome regardless.
Trapped inside this sit-com-va-ri-um!

Online Adami

« Reply #107 on: January 22, 2017, 12:40:14 AM »
You can find a million unknown guitarists who can play every DT song backwards and forwards, but will likely never write a great riff or solo in their lives.

While I get what you're trying to say, I don't think that's a fair assumption to make. I'm not trying to pick an argument or anything, but there are so many incredibly gifted guitarists out there; it seems a bit silly to assume that just because they're unknown, their playing isn't as great. Fame shouldn't be the determining factor on whether or not someone can "write a great riff or solo". There's also no need to degrade unknown guitarists to put Petrucci on a pedestal - he's awesome regardless.

I didn't do any of that. It just so happens the people I'm talking about are unknown. I never said all unknown people can't write.
fanticide.bandcamp.com

Offline pcs90

« Reply #108 on: January 22, 2017, 12:48:45 AM »
I'm pretty sure what was meant was, there are a lot of guitarists that can play Petrucci's parts note for note but in many cases they wouldn't be capable of writing something that comes close. Some people are very technically good at playing, but not so much with writing.

Online Adami

« Reply #109 on: January 22, 2017, 12:50:40 AM »
Yup. I've met plenty of them. People who can go up and down the neck like it's nobodies business. Could sweep, and tap and shred and blow you away. Ask them to write a riff, and they give you the most cliche 80's background to a solo riff you've ever heard.

Obviously lots of super talented writers are also unknown. I'm living proof.  :loser:
fanticide.bandcamp.com

Online ReaperKK

• Sweeter After Difficulty
  • DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #110 on: January 22, 2017, 06:33:45 AM »
John's playing definitely was a lot more fusion-esque, or "jazzy" back in the day, that's for sure. I remember back in the '90s seeing him improvise over backing tracks at NAMM, and he was doing a lot more Govan-esque type playing. He gets a bit carried away with the shredding these days, but overall I still dig the solos he writes. His improvised soloing isn't nearly as interesting anymore, though. At least, not compared to his playing in the '90s.

You're probably thinking of the exact same video I saw. He had some great soloing on there.

Offline Bertielee

• RIP, Dad (1935-2017)
« Reply #111 on: January 22, 2017, 12:38:20 PM »
Yup. I've met plenty of them. People who can go up and down the neck like it's nobodies business. Could sweep, and tap and shred and blow you away. Ask them to write a riff, and they give you the most cliche 80's background to a solo riff you've ever heard.

Michael Angelo Batio for instance?
"Life is divided into two sets of people : people who have lost and people who haven't yet." George Michael

Online ReaperKK

• DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #112 on: January 23, 2017, 06:22:20 AM »

First thing that came to mind. I went to a clinic of his and it was awful. He didn't answer any questions because "He didn't have to and everything can be answer if you watch my instructional videos".

The only thing he did was shred, for 2 hours, it was miserable.

Offline Bertielee

• RIP, Dad (1935-2017)
« Reply #113 on: January 23, 2017, 08:18:39 AM »

First thing that came to mind. I went to a clinic of his and it was awful. He didn't answer any questions because "He didn't have to and everything can be answer if you watch my instructional videos".

The only thing he did was shred, for 2 hours, it was miserable.

How boring it must have been!

B.Lee
"Life is divided into two sets of people : people who have lost and people who haven't yet." George Michael

Online ReaperKK

• DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #114 on: January 23, 2017, 01:51:58 PM »
I wouldn't say it was boring but I've been to a number of guitar clinics (JP being one of them) and this was the first and only clinic I went to where the tone was "Look at how awesome I am, you'll never be four necks on your guitar awesome. Oh by the way by Dean guitar's"

Offline pcs90

« Reply #115 on: January 23, 2017, 11:28:57 PM »

Exactly. I can't listen to him. He's technically excellent but it's just plain boring to me.

Offline Herrick

• Hello Mangs
« Reply #116 on: February 13, 2017, 10:06:20 AM »
I'm not familiar with Chris Olivia and I've heard very little of Betencourt's playing. But I know all the other guitarists mentioned have very distinct TONE. And yeah it has a lot to do with individual playing style but gear plays a huge role too. If someone uploaded a track of one of them playing acoustic guitar, I don't know if I'd be able to tell who it was.

Edit: If I heard a random Petrucci improvised solo I'm not sure if I'd be able to tell it was him. I've been listening to Dream Theater since 2001 but my guitar playing is somewhere between mid level beginner intermediate. I think that's why guitar tone is the main element that tells me who is playing.
« Last Edit: February 13, 2017, 10:15:51 AM by Herrick »
DISPLAY thy Breasts, My Julia!

Offline erwinrafael

« Reply #117 on: February 13, 2017, 10:26:11 AM »
Well, in the case of Brian May, most likely I would be able to tell him even when he's playing acoustic because of the style:

Love of My Life

Same with Eddie Van Halen:

Panama

And most especially Steve Vai:

Firegarden Suite

Offline Herrick

• Hello Mangs
« Reply #118 on: February 13, 2017, 10:29:03 AM »
Well, in the case of Brian May, most likely I would be able to tell him even when he's playing acoustic because of the style:

Love of My Life

Same with Eddie Van Halen:

Panama

Wow that acoustic version of Panama sounds really cool. Even Roth sounds all right.
DISPLAY thy Breasts, My Julia!