Author Topic: Buzzfeed article on Trump/Russia  (Read 1722 times)

Offline bosk1

• Bow down to Boskaryus
  • Administrator
  • Hard-hearted harbinger of haggis
Re: Buzzfeed article on Trump/Russia
« Reply #70 on: January 12, 2017, 10:24:33 AM »
Yea, I don't find his report to be reputable and obviously neither did our government, yet buzzfeed did.

Not only that, but the rest of the mainstream media (which had been largely conducting themselves no better than tabloids during most of the election cycle) didn't find it reputable enough to print either.  Remember, they all had it for months and had not seen fit to print it.  It was only after Buzzfeed posted it and then CNN linked to Buzzfeed posting it that the other news outlets did the same, replete with caveats about the sources being unsubstantiated.  To me, that speaks volumes.

Yup, it honestly had made me think that some of these news outlets are in cohorts.  I mean, buzzfeed has not been known to make headline political news and obviously does not have journalistic integrity, but as soon as they post it, the rest of the news outlets jump on it (even though they had it for awhile and didn't report it).  But all these outlets are known for disliking Trump, so getting this out there helps their political cause plus gains tons of clicks/views to generate ad money.  While NONE of what I just said is fact and it really just goes back to what I said in the OP in that it makes me feel even less trust worthy of the media.

Well, they are, but not in the way you are suggesting.  There are common sources and outlets where a lot of them get their stories and material.  That is why if you read a story on one source, it will often be either word-for-word or with slight modifications if you read it somewhere else. 

But they are also competitors.  So if one posts a story that will bring exposure or generate discussion (note that I did not say "that is newsworthy"), the others will likely post it as well so they aren't deemed to be inferior or out of the loop.

In this case, again, they all had the story, but chose not to post it.  CNN broke from that when they linked to the Buzzfeed article, so the rest then followed suit.  That is common practice and has been since forever.  Nothing new here.  But what is new is the lengths they went to to include caveats about its reliability.  It's...it's almost like they temporarily rediscovered "journalistic integrity."
"The Supreme Court of the United States has descended from the disciplined legal reasoning of John Marshall and Joseph Story to the mystical aphorisms of the fortune cookie."

Offline Stadler

• DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #71 on: January 12, 2017, 11:47:21 AM »

It's going to be an entertaining (in a sad, dark way) four years watching Americans figure out just how important it is.

But you're one of the enlightened few (obvi all Democrats) that actually know this already?

Look, I say that somewhat tongue in cheek; you're entitled to your opinion, but, "self-restraint" is no more a "must have" than anything else, it's all in the totality of the package.  It's not going to be any darker than the eight years under Obama, just different.  As Obama was different from Bush who was different from Clinton who was different from...   You cannot tell me that presidents like Kennedy, Nixon, and Clinton are to be revered for their self-restraint.   

Offline 7th

« Reply #72 on: January 12, 2017, 12:09:30 PM »
I'll be interested to see if FOX makes a stand for them here.

Some on that network already did defend the CNN guy, but Fox is probably going to be pretty pro Trump for a while because as MSNBC and Newsweek have reported recently huge shake ups happened around there before and especially after the election.  Rumor is that Murdoch's sons were positioning to take over the network from their aging dad, make it more progressive, and install Megyn Kelly as their champion.  When Trump won the deals fell through and Kelly was shown the door.  This explains why the last chapters of her book are written as if she took part in "taking Trump down" and all that.  Really interesting stuff:

http://www.msn.com/en-us/news/us/the-truth-behind-megyn-kelly%e2%80%99s-nbc-deal/ar-BBy7FmW?ocid=spartanntp

"Political correctness is fascism pretending to be manners" - George Carlin

Offline Chino

• Be excellent to each other.
  • DT.net Veteran

Offline Shadow Ninja 2.0

• Heir Transparent
  • Transcribing Existence Rivets
Re: fulfilled my quota of 1 P/R post per year
« Reply #74 on: January 12, 2017, 02:02:03 PM »
can't it be motherfuckin
BOTH THINGS
if the flow checks out and your rhymes are dope enough then the police start unholstering their guns

Online El Barto

• DTF.org Alumni
  • Bad Craziness
« Reply #75 on: January 12, 2017, 02:19:57 PM »

Some on that network already did defend the CNN guy, but Fox is probably going to be pretty pro Trump for a while because as MSNBC and Newsweek have reported recently huge shake ups happened around there before and especially after the election.  Rumor is that Murdoch's sons were positioning to take over the network from their aging dad, make it more progressive, and install Megyn Kelly as their champion.  When Trump won the deals fell through and Kelly was shown the door.  This explains why the last chapters of her book are written as if she took part in "taking Trump down" and all that.  Really interesting stuff:

http://www.msn.com/en-us/news/us/the-truth-behind-megyn-kelly%e2%80%99s-nbc-deal/ar-BBy7FmW?ocid=spartanntp

Interesting read. Shepard Smith was pretty clear in his defense, and used "our" in his statements referring to FOX as a whole. The entertainment wing at FOX continued to defend Trump and blast CNN. So yeah, that sounds about right.
Argument, the presentation of reasonable views, never makes headway against conviction, and conviction takes no part in argument because it knows.
E.F. Benson

Offline 7th

« Reply #76 on: January 12, 2017, 03:41:56 PM »
Was Trump lying yesterday or 4 years ago?

http://www.usmagazine.com/celebrity-news/news/donald-trump-talks-vladimir-putin-relationship-in-2013-interview-w460547

Neither.  A person at his level can have relationships with other people at his level and never actually know or meet each other.  They have relationships by proxy so when it is convenient they can claim to have or to not have ties.  BUT, if I had to wager, Trump knows Putin and Putin knows Trump yet I doubt they are golf buddies, but it is crystal clear that Ivanka is at least acquainted to people close to Putin.  Rich kids partying in Europe, shopping in Morocco, or playing tennis in the Hamptons doesn't mean all their family interests are intertwined.   

Offline KevShmev

• EZBoard Elder
« Reply #77 on: January 12, 2017, 06:07:59 PM »

Er, I am pretty sure she left on her own, even though Fox was offering her more money.  I can't say I blame her, a) because she has three young kids and will now have most evenings off, and b) Fox's brand has been badly damaged in the last year and she is smart enough to move away from that. 

Offline Lucien

• composer
    • my music
« Reply #78 on: January 12, 2017, 07:37:15 PM »
https://twitter.com/chris_baugh_/status/818998378285580292

read the whole thing he did, ending at like point 57 or so. since it was made, there are a ton of replies to each point, so it might take a little while to get through. it's an interesting read

Offline 7th

« Reply #79 on: January 12, 2017, 08:05:39 PM »

Er, I am pretty sure she left on her own, even though Fox was offering her more money.  I can't say I blame her, a) because she has three young kids and will now have most evenings off, and b) Fox's brand has been badly damaged in the last year and she is smart enough to move away from that.

Could be, but that isn't the scuttlebutt going around.  I take the newsweek article with a grain of salt because they are the same "journalists" who were convinced Trump could never win so what do they really know anyway?  But Kelly did have a public feud with Trump, attempted to derail his campaign, lost a good chunk of her fanbase in the process and ended up at a network that doesn't even count.  If she did that by choice fine, but I suspect there is some merit to the newsweek piece. 

Offline KevShmev

• EZBoard Elder
« Reply #80 on: January 12, 2017, 08:18:26 PM »
It's ridiculous to say that she tried to derail his campaign; she asked him a tough, legit question.  It's not her fault that he is a crybaby who can't handle tough questions. 

Why wouldn't she have done that by choice?  She is still getting reportedly at least 15 million dollars a year and gets evenings off to spend with her three young kids (which she has said for a while would be a priority when deciding on her next contract).  I'd say she chose wisely. 

Offline pogoowner

• Pancake Bunny
  • DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #81 on: January 12, 2017, 08:25:13 PM »
It's ridiculous to say that she tried to derail his campaign; she asked him a tough, legit question.  It's not her fault that he is a crybaby who can't handle tough questions. 

Why wouldn't she have done that by choice?  She is still getting reportedly at least 15 million dollars a year and gets evenings off to spend with her three young kids (which she has said for a while would be a priority when deciding on her next contract).  I'd say she chose wisely. 
She's also leaving a workplace that, between Ailes and O'Reilly, has largely become known for sexual abuse. I certainly wouldn't want to be there if I were her.

Offline KevShmev

• EZBoard Elder
« Reply #82 on: January 12, 2017, 08:35:33 PM »

She's also leaving a workplace that, between Ailes and O'Reilly, has largely become known for sexual abuse. I certainly wouldn't want to be there if I were her.

Agree. That was what I was alluding to earlier when I said Fox's brand has been damaged. They have lost four of their most high profile women in the last year (Kelly, Greta Van Susteren, Gretchen Carlson and Andrea Tantaros), three of whom reported having been the victim of some type of sexual harassment from the big wigs at Fox.

Offline 7th

« Reply #83 on: January 13, 2017, 12:00:12 AM »

Agree. That was what I was alluding to earlier when I said Fox's brand has been damaged. They have lost four of their most high profile women in the last year (Kelly, Greta Van Susteren, Gretchen Carlson and Andrea Tantaros), three of whom reported having been the victim of some type of sexual harassment from the big wigs at Fox.

Did you guys read the Newsweek article?  Not saying it's the gospel truth, but it makes sense out of some odd occurrences like her immediate departure.  In my opinion, she went up against Trump and old man Murdoch and she lost.  Her "legit question" during the debate strategically set a precedent for the Clinton campaign and liberal media to paint Trump as a misogynist which totally backfired and helped get him elected.  Kelly did it to add to her own reach which is sleazy.  Trump was the star of each debate, Kelly made a colossal error in upstaging the main attraction.  Rarely does that end well.       

Offline KevShmev

• EZBoard Elder
« Reply #84 on: January 13, 2017, 06:29:42 AM »

Did you guys read the Newsweek article?

Yes.

In my opinion, she went up against Trump and old man Murdoch and she lost.     

You mean she dared speak out against the sexual harassment culture that exists at Fox, right?

Her "legit question" during the debate strategically set a precedent for the Clinton campaign and liberal media to paint Trump as a misogynist which totally backfired and helped get him elected.     

Trump was already being painted as a misogynist prior to that debate.

Kelly did it to add to her own reach 

Agreed.  Kelly loves herself (and I probably would, too, if I made that much money and looked like that :lol), but her question was still legit and not at all out of bounds.

Trump was the star of each debate, Kelly made a colossal error in upstaging the main attraction.  Rarely does that end well.     

That is a silly take.  It was a presidential debate, not a reality show. 

Kelly's error was thinking Trump would go after her for a day or two and then it'd be over.  She, and no one else, had any idea that his hardcore supporters would go out of their way to attack her and try to destroy her career.  That says a lot more about Trump and his hardcore base than it does about her. 

Offline cramx3

• Chillest of the chill
  • DTF.org Alumni
    • The Home of cramx3
« Reply #85 on: January 13, 2017, 07:52:15 AM »
Im more inclined to believe she left Fox because Foxnews has had some pretty bad press against them lately and as a female, that could look bad for her in some way (I don't think it should, but the perception can be a reality with the sexual harassment suits and whatnot at Foxnews) plus her drama with Trump. She probably just wanted something else.  Although I'd imagine kids and other things play a role as well.

Offline 7th

« Reply #86 on: January 13, 2017, 11:35:28 AM »

Did you guys read the Newsweek article?

Yes.

In my opinion, she went up against Trump and old man Murdoch and she lost.     

You mean she dared speak out against the sexual harassment culture that exists at Fox, right?

Her "legit question" during the debate strategically set a precedent for the Clinton campaign and liberal media to paint Trump as a misogynist which totally backfired and helped get him elected.     

Trump was already being painted as a misogynist prior to that debate.

Kelly did it to add to her own reach 

Agreed.  Kelly loves herself (and I probably would, too, if I made that much money and looked like that :lol), but her question was still legit and not at all out of bounds.

Trump was the star of each debate, Kelly made a colossal error in upstaging the main attraction.  Rarely does that end well.     

That is a silly take.  It was a presidential debate, not a reality show. 

Kelly's error was thinking Trump would go after her for a day or two and then it'd be over.  She, and no one else, had any idea that his hardcore supporters would go out of their way to attack her and try to destroy her career.  That says a lot more about Trump and his hardcore base than it does about her.

Just a couple of things:

1.  She didn't speak out about sexual harassment at Fox until it was in her best interest to do so.  So in a way she is complacent in the harassment herself.  The timing of the lawsuits also suggests that the harassment could have been more along the lines of people willfully fucking their way to the top then crying fowl when they found out the top isn't what they thought it would be.  Sometimes people are truly victims of harassment, sometimes they are willing participants in it in order to gain that leverage.  Either way, people best not fool around with their subordinates.  I am surprised Bill O'Reilly didn't "retire" after the Huddy settlement, but her case must have been pretty weak for her to take such a small settlement.  "Sexual Harassment Culture" sounds a bit hyperbolic.  I am sure Fox hands out the same anti-harassment policies as every other corporation does, and just like in every other large corporation a few people are going to be engaging in some inappropriate behaviors.  The problem really are the attorneys and legislators who have created an industry where a case of a skirt chasing boss is worth a percentage of potentially millions of dollars.  It's not about women's rights in the workplace, that's just the excuse, it is all about money and power.  It always is.  If it wasn't, sexual harassment would be a criminal offense not a civil one.  Personally I think maybe it should be and then people would think twice before harassing subordinates or employees.

2.  What we used to know as "presidential" is long gone, GHWB was probably the last truly professionally qualified president, so it really was more of a reality show.  The entire election process was damn entertaining on that level and 98% of the entertainment value was provided by Trump.  More people watched than voted.  Sad but true.

Online Ben_Jamin

• Do a nice one for grandma
« Reply #87 on: January 13, 2017, 03:56:10 PM »
Fake Media.
I don't know how they can be so proud of winning with them odds. - Little Big Man

I Love You...Poppin Fresh

Offline jammindude

• The Jammin Dude Show
« Reply #88 on: January 13, 2017, 07:55:49 PM »
When the #GoldenGate story broke, I wasn't the least bit shocked.   I'm almost surprised it was ever reported.   The original "wolf of wall street" was a party to depravity?   It's like making a news story out of "Led Zeppelin sometimes had several groupies at once!"   ......REALLY????   Wait....I'm going to have a heart attack and die from that surprise.

One thing should be clear to BOTH sides at this point.    Trump is untouchable.   Literally.   There is NOTHING you could dig up on this guy that would stick, or would shock me in any way.    He is The Godfather.   It's that simple.   You could uncover video of him diddling a child, and he would look square in the camera and say with conviction, "This is fake news, it never happened."   And all it takes is for the hard core worshippers to sing his praises and repeat their reasons WHY they think he's right to create just a sliver of doubt in a decent cross section of the swayable public.....and viola.....we're on to the next controversy.   

I was talking to a hard right winger at work.   And I was just laughing at the irony that we went from being SHOCKED that someone we elected as president was outed as having "smoked but not inhaled" a joint during college, to OPENLY ELECTING a guy who we all know has done lines of blow off a hooker's patootie.   My co worker was like, "He really did that?"   I said, "Dude!  THIS IS DONALD TRUMP!!"   And he was like, "Oh yeah.....you're right...."   He was serious.   It had never occurred to him that this was a guy who practically invented the wolf of wall street stories! 

I just wish everyone would stop trying to create a scandal around the guy.   It's boring.    With Trump, you already know you're getting the love child of Gene Simmons, Rupert Murdoch, and Gina Rinehart.   So what is there you could dig up that we don't already know?

Was it Lincoln? who said the now famous, "You can fool some of the people all of the time, and you can fool all of the people some of the time.  But you cannot fool all of the people all the time."     This is still true, but the problem is that when he said that, he could not have envisioned a world where it was no longer necessary to fool all of the people all of the time.   In the age of of the internet, fooling some of the people all of the time will suffice.    If you can get away with fooling some of the people all of the time, you can do *ANYTHING*.     And he has.   And he will continue to do so.   

You cannot touch Trump now.   Not possible.  He can do absolutely anything at all, and he will not be held accountable. 
"Better the pride that resides in a citizen of the world.
Than the pride that divides when a colorful rag is unfurled." - Neil Peart

The Jammin Dude Show - http://www.youtube.com/user/jammindude

Online Ben_Jamin

• Do a nice one for grandma
« Reply #89 on: January 16, 2017, 05:59:02 PM »
Jam min dude, I agree about everyone trying to create a scandal. They're trying so hard yet they look dumb in the process.

What interests me more than any scandal about Trump, is with how the people within our country are acting. It's like we erased all these years to just go back to square one. And it's both sides basically throwing each others shit back and forth. Which doesn't help solve anything.
I don't know how they can be so proud of winning with them odds. - Little Big Man

I Love You...Poppin Fresh

Offline Stadler

• DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #90 on: January 17, 2017, 10:32:05 AM »
When the #GoldenGate story broke, I wasn't the least bit shocked.   I'm almost surprised it was ever reported.   The original "wolf of wall street" was a party to depravity?   It's like making a news story out of "Led Zeppelin sometimes had several groupies at once!"   ......REALLY????   Wait....I'm going to have a heart attack and die from that surprise.

One thing should be clear to BOTH sides at this point.    Trump is untouchable.   Literally.   There is NOTHING you could dig up on this guy that would stick, or would shock me in any way.    He is The Godfather.   It's that simple.   You could uncover video of him diddling a child, and he would look square in the camera and say with conviction, "This is fake news, it never happened."   And all it takes is for the hard core worshippers to sing his praises and repeat their reasons WHY they think he's right to create just a sliver of doubt in a decent cross section of the swayable public.....and viola.....we're on to the next controversy.   

I was talking to a hard right winger at work.   And I was just laughing at the irony that we went from being SHOCKED that someone we elected as president was outed as having "smoked but not inhaled" a joint during college, to OPENLY ELECTING a guy who we all know has done lines of blow off a hooker's patootie.   My co worker was like, "He really did that?"   I said, "Dude!  THIS IS DONALD TRUMP!!"   And he was like, "Oh yeah.....you're right...."   He was serious.   It had never occurred to him that this was a guy who practically invented the wolf of wall street stories! 

I just wish everyone would stop trying to create a scandal around the guy.   It's boring.    With Trump, you already know you're getting the love child of Gene Simmons, Rupert Murdoch, and Gina Rinehart.   So what is there you could dig up that we don't already know?

Was it Lincoln? who said the now famous, "You can fool some of the people all of the time, and you can fool all of the people some of the time.  But you cannot fool all of the people all the time."     This is still true, but the problem is that when he said that, he could not have envisioned a world where it was no longer necessary to fool all of the people all of the time.   In the age of of the internet, fooling some of the people all of the time will suffice.    If you can get away with fooling some of the people all of the time, you can do *ANYTHING*.     And he has.   And he will continue to do so.   

You cannot touch Trump now.   Not possible.  He can do absolutely anything at all, and he will not be held accountable.

I'm not sure I disagree with you, but that said, there still has to be some "reason" and some "practicality" on this.  I DON'T know that Trump did a line off a hooker's ass.   And here's why that's a problem:  because it SOUNDS like it could have happened is not "journalism".  That IS fake news, and we can't let one President - Teflon or not - undermine that.   It's not Trump's fault at all that this is happening, and though some will disagree with me, I don't even think it's his obligation to fix it.  It's the NEWS OUTLETS responsibility, and it's the PEOPLE of this country that have to hold them accountable.   

This is all a blurring of the lines over time. I've railed on and on about the "Jon Stewart fake news" thing, and how Stewart was creating a monster by hiding his (and his teams) lack of journalistic integrity (or if you wish, their position that they were not "newsmen" and therefore not obligated to follow the strict rules of journalistic integrity) behind the "oh! but it's a JOKE!" mantra.  Now it's just someone else hiding behind the "oh! but's it's ENTERTAINMENT!" mantra.  There's fundamentally no difference between the two.  NONE. 

Offline eric42434224

• Wilson
« Reply #91 on: January 17, 2017, 10:55:10 AM »
I think there is a very big fundamental difference between the two, and the difference is intent.
Oh shit, you're right!

rumborak

Rumborak to me 10/29

Offline Stadler

• DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #92 on: January 17, 2017, 03:49:08 PM »
I think there is a very big fundamental difference between the two, and the difference is intent.

Not sure I see that.  Stewart's take, stated on numerous occasions, is "entertainment" with a dash of enlightenment on the side.  The Buzzfeed clown's stated intent - which I heard directly in at least one interview - was "entertainment" with a dash of "the people have a right to know, and they have a right to decide for themselves", which isn't worlds apart from "enlightenment".

Offline eric42434224

• Wilson
« Reply #93 on: January 17, 2017, 04:12:43 PM »

Not sure I see that.  Stewart's take, stated on numerous occasions, is "entertainment" with a dash of enlightenment on the side.  The Buzzfeed clown's stated intent - which I heard directly in at least one interview - was "entertainment" with a dash of "the people have a right to know, and they have a right to decide for themselves", which isn't worlds apart from "enlightenment".

I definitely see a difference, partly because I am not just using what they are saying about themselves.  That might be very different from their intent. 
Oh shit, you're right!

rumborak

Rumborak to me 10/29