Author Topic: Did anyone witness the Touring Into Infinity tour?  (Read 8832 times)

Offline cfmoran13

Re: Did anyone witness the Touring Into Infinity tour?
« Reply #35 on: January 18, 2017, 01:37:18 PM »
The Tradewinds in NJ?  I can't believe the band played there.
I saw them there on the FII and SFAM tours.  Mike did an autograph signing at the Sam Ash in Edison (I think it was Edison) the morning of the SFAM show.  I got John P and Jordan's signatures while waiting outside for them to let everyone in the venue.

Online cramx3

• Chillest of the chill
  • DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #36 on: January 18, 2017, 01:38:51 PM »
I saw them there on the FII and SFAM tours.  Mike did an autograph signing at the Sam Ash in Edison (I think it was Edison) the morning of the SFAM show.  I got John P and Jordan's signatures while waiting outside for them to let everyone in the venue.

That's awesome.  I wish I was a fan back in those days to see DT play in such close venues (also Birch Hill).

Offline cfmoran13

« Reply #37 on: January 18, 2017, 01:52:30 PM »

That's awesome.  I wish I was a fan back in those days to see DT play in such close venues (also Birch Hill).
For being such a little shit hole, the Birch Hill was a pretty awesome place to see shows.  You couldn't go more than 5 mph on the gravel road that led into the complex without tearing up your car.  I was lucky enough to DT there three times.  I also got to see Anthrax, Biohazard, Living Colour, Brother Cane and Sevendust there. 

Online cramx3

• Chillest of the chill
  • DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #38 on: January 18, 2017, 01:54:37 PM »
Yea I've been to Birch Hill many times, but never saw DT there.  I did see Gwar though  :lol

Offline cfmoran13

« Reply #39 on: January 18, 2017, 02:02:02 PM »
It felt weird when they made that jump from Birch Hill and Trade Winds to the Beacon Theater and RCMH.  I was thrilled for them.  But, to go from slapping hands with James at the front of the stage to sitting in back of the boards definitely took some time to wrap my head around.

Offline Prog Snob

• DT.net Veteran
  • In the end we're left infinitely and utterly alone
« Reply #40 on: January 18, 2017, 07:55:47 PM »
I remember the Trade Winds shows. Big Wreck opened the first time and Dixie Dregs the second.

Offline cfmoran13

« Reply #41 on: January 19, 2017, 07:20:24 AM »
I remember the Trade Winds shows. Big Wreck opened the first time and Dixie Dregs the second.
Yep.  I won the tix to the FII show with Big Wreck at a Monday Night Football appearance from a local radio station, WDHA.  Winning 4 tix to see your favorite band (at the time) play live is pretty sweet! 

A few days after the SFAM show, I drove with my wife (girlfriend at the time) to Philly to see them at the Electric Factory.  Oh, to have time and disposable income!  Those were the days!

Offline Prog Snob

• DT.net Veteran
« Reply #42 on: January 19, 2017, 07:46:13 AM »
I agree. I remember when I used to be able to go to shows all of the time.

Offline cfmoran13

« Reply #43 on: January 19, 2017, 07:59:28 AM »
At my concert-going peak (before I started dating my wife), I had a few years where I was hitting 22-23 concerts a year.  In the last 7 years, I've been to about 20 in total.  It's amazing what a mortgage, kid and brief unemployment will do.

Offline Tony From Long Island

• No Day But Today
« Reply #44 on: January 19, 2017, 01:22:34 PM »

As soon as we saw Big Wreck, our band (which had transitioned to covers by that time) started playing "The Oaf"  and more frequently "That Song."

We did the typical bar band songs and made sure the drunk girls had fun dancing in the second and third sets, but when we started at 11pm, we would stick in songs we liked.   After playing "That Song" so many times, people started thinking we wrote it  :-)    ( we always corrected them).

We found ways to stick some musicality in otherwise simple songs.  At the end of "Video Killed the Radio Star," we sequed into the ending of Spirit of Radio and that one dude would yell "Yeah, Rush!"   but it would only last for 30 seconds  :-)
https://www.youtube.com/channel/UCtvUwbiqcKY_DF-0WXtlHFg       Listen to my mediocre recordings!

Offline mikeyd23

« Reply #45 on: January 19, 2017, 01:24:16 PM »

As soon as we saw Big Wreck, our band (which had transitioned to covers by that time) started playing "The Oaf"  and more frequently "That Song."

We did the typical bar band songs and made sure the drunk girls had fun dancing in the second and third sets, but when we started at 11pm, we would stick in songs we liked.   After playing "That Song" so many times, people started thinking we wrote it  :-)    ( we always corrected them).

We found ways to stick some musicality in otherwise simple songs.  At the end of "Video Killed the Radio Star," we sequed into the ending of Spirit of Radio and that one dude would yell "Yeah, Rush!"   but it would only last for 30 seconds  :-)

Big Wreck is a great band. Their last two albums after reforming the band have been awesome and they have another record coming out in like a month I think.

• No Day But Today
« Reply #46 on: January 19, 2017, 01:27:04 PM »
Does anyone recall DT playing at  CPI in the Hamptons during that tour?     I remember seeing them with James Young from Styx opening.

I miss CPI.     I saw Better Than Ezra there the same day I was in the hospital with a Kidney Stone!!

I also once saw   Slaughter / Warrant  / Vince Neil there and Vince was so drunk he kept pouring beer over the head of his guitar player until his guitar rig shorted out.  Everyone was booing mercilessly.  To try to win the crowd back he yelled out  "yeah?  well . . . I'm back in Motley Crue!!! -    (this was right before his re-joining was announced).     No luck.  More booing!     So he just walked off the stage after two or so songs.

A bunch roadies and guys from Slaughter came out and just jammed some cool tunes.   Jani Lane was probably too drunk to walk.   I had a fun discussion with Mark Slaughter after the show about the difficulty of touring with such raging alcoholics  :-)

ahhh  memories . . . .
https://www.youtube.com/channel/UCtvUwbiqcKY_DF-0WXtlHFg       Listen to my mediocre recordings!

Offline Prog Snob

• DT.net Veteran
« Reply #47 on: January 19, 2017, 04:15:22 PM »
At my concert-going peak (before I started dating my wife), I had a few years where I was hitting 22-23 concerts a year.  In the last 7 years, I've been to about 20 in total.  It's amazing what a mortgage, kid and brief unemployment will do.

I hear that. I had passed up so many shows for various reasons.

Does anyone recall DT playing at  CPI in the Hamptons during that tour?     I remember seeing them with James Young from Styx opening.

ahhh  memories . . . .

They only played CPI once and it was during the Awake tour.

Offline Samsara

• Queensr˙che Biographer and Historian
  • DTF.org Alumni
  • Driving the nail into my head. Memory flows...
« Reply #48 on: January 23, 2017, 10:38:53 AM »
They played a place in Plainview on the fii tour, tony. Could that be the one? I was pissed because there was no marketing of that show. I found out about it 3 days after the gig.  :-\
Roads to Madness: The Touring History of Queensr˙che (1981-1997) - Out in May 2024!

www.roadstomadness.com

Offline ytserush

• Like clockwork...
« Reply #49 on: January 24, 2017, 05:08:08 PM »

For being such a little shit hole, the Birch Hill was a pretty awesome place to see shows.  You couldn't go more than 5 mph on the gravel road that led into the complex without tearing up your car.  I was lucky enough to DT there three times.  I also got to see Anthrax, Biohazard, Living Colour, Brother Cane and Sevendust there.

I hated Birch Hell. Saw Dream Theater ever time they played there though (Living Colour too.)

It still amazes me how much they overpacked that place. Very lucky there were no major incidents.

Offline Prog Snob

• DT.net Veteran
« Reply #50 on: January 24, 2017, 07:32:34 PM »

I hated Birch Hell. Saw Dream Theater ever time they played there though (Living Colour too.)

It still amazes me how much they overpacked that place. Very lucky there were no major incidents.

I hated going there. You think with all that money the place brought in they would have paved a decent road leading up to the club.  The bouncers were always assholes, too.

Online cramx3

• Chillest of the chill
  • DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #51 on: January 25, 2017, 07:52:23 AM »

I hated going there. You think with all that money the place brought in they would have paved a decent road leading up to the club.  The bouncers were always assholes, too.

I remember chilling outside during a Misfits show since it sold out and my friend and I didnt have tickets but our other friends did.  So as kids we just chilled outside until the show ended so our parents could pick us all up.  But we watched sooo many people get thrown out very violently  :lol I just have a lot of good memories from high school going there.

• No Day But Today
« Reply #52 on: January 25, 2017, 08:03:29 AM »
They played a place in Plainview on the fii tour, tony. Could that be the one? I was pissed because there was no marketing of that show. I found out about it 3 days after the gig.  :-\

That was a place called the Vanderbilt.   I was at that show, but I remember it being in 1999.  That might be the last DT show I went to.   I also saw   Nine Days and SR-71 there.   

I have to shout out Nine Days because not only are they a Long Island band  (with a great debut album) but they were also a cover band with the same booking agency as my old cover band.   They were called Belly Button but played as Nine Days during the week and  . . .then . . . BOOM  . . a huge hit   :-)

Offline Samsara

• Queensr˙che Biographer and Historian
  • DTF.org Alumni
  • Driving the nail into my head. Memory flows...
« Reply #53 on: January 25, 2017, 08:42:41 AM »
Nope, it wasnt 99. It was the fii tour for sure. So 97 or 98.

I was a big nine days fan before they got signed. I have their first two self released records. Bought em at the village pub in port jeff. That place is gone now, i believe.
Roads to Madness: The Touring History of Queensr˙che (1981-1997) - Out in May 2024!

www.roadstomadness.com

• No Day But Today
« Reply #54 on: January 25, 2017, 11:29:58 AM »

I was a big nine days fan before they got signed. I have their first two self released records. Bought em at the village pub in port jeff. That place is gone now, i believe.

Maybe I'm confusing the DT Vanderbilt show with the Ninedays one.  They were so long ago.  I will consult my ticket stubs when I get home!

I also saw ninedays at the Village Pub.    I saw them also at a dump in Amityville and I think Irving Plaza  (with SR-71, Stroke 9, and Tsar).     I was always excited for Ninedays.  An "Omnipop" band that made it.   I really should get their other stuff.  I love the first album.

The Village Pub might be where I saw "Ethyl Mertz" - the DT cover band with JP, MP and DS.  That's where my profile pic was taken.
« Last Edit: August 11, 2017, 01:24:06 PM by Tony From Long Island »

Offline Setlist Scotty

« Reply #55 on: January 25, 2017, 12:05:31 PM »
1998. https://www.mikeportnoy.com/dates/MPTourography/ShowInfo.aspx?showId=380

Tony, DT didn't do any shows in the US in 1999.
As a basic rule, if you hate it, you must solely blame Portnoy. If it's good, then you must downplay MP's contribution to the band as not being important anyway, or claim he's just lying. It's the DTF way.

• No Day But Today
« Reply #56 on: January 25, 2017, 12:09:09 PM »
HA!   If you look up at reply #13 at this thread, I posted the correct date for the Vanderbilt show!     I had access to my old ticket stubs when I made that post!

I remember the Vanderbilt, because it was wide, but not very deep.   

Offline DTresearcher

« Reply #57 on: January 26, 2017, 05:37:08 AM »
Going to move this to the general DT forum where it will get more views and responses, since it is more of a quest for information than specific concert discussion.

Thanks everyone. My quest for information is complete...for now.

DTR

Offline ytserush

• Like clockwork...
« Reply #58 on: January 30, 2017, 04:02:52 PM »

The place was a death trap. I didn't mind that road so much though. I still remember one guard who was always asshole personified.

We'd get there early (only for Dream Theater) and he'd hangout by the stage door and wait for the guys to come out for a break when they had enough of being inside setting up. This guy would always berate us for hanging there saying that we're wasting our time The band never comes out to talk with fans, sign stuff and pose for pictures. He probably just didn't like having to stand there to guard the door. He'd be saying stuff off and on for an hour then when the stage was set just before the soundcheck (during or sometimes after the sound check) most of them (sometimes not Myung obviously) would hang with us for a few minutes.  I always thought the guy was on a power trip but who knows.

Offline Prog Snob

• DT.net Veteran
« Reply #59 on: January 30, 2017, 07:31:32 PM »
As much as I hated going there, it was one of the best places to see bands that came through the area.

Offline Peter Mc

« Reply #60 on: February 02, 2017, 07:23:35 AM »
This was my first DT show in Manchester UK, terrible venue in the University with really bad acoustics. Rudess Morgenstein Project were the opening act and I thought it was a couple of students from the University. I only realised different when it was announced during the show that they were doing LTE with Rudess and Jelly Jam with Morgenstein. Remember fan club fliers being handed out left right and centre and I joined straight after.

Offline Devin Townsend

« Reply #61 on: February 02, 2017, 04:41:36 PM »
DT - (falling into) Infinity tour 2017

Offline CincyE

« Reply #62 on: August 03, 2017, 09:54:30 AM »
I am pretty sure Take Away My Pain was the demo version in Cincinnati at Annie's Indoor. I could be wrong. That was a long time ago! I remember waiting in line in the afternoon to get in. I think about ten other people did so too. Inside the show, one could walk right down to the front of the stage. It's unreal thinking back to that show and considering where they are now!

Offline cfmoran13

« Reply #63 on: August 03, 2017, 12:42:09 PM »
The Village Pub might be where I saw "Ethyl Mertz" - the DT cover band with JP, MP and DS.  That's where my profile pic was taken.
Wasn't Al Pitrelli in Ethyl Mertz, too?

• No Day But Today
« Reply #64 on: August 11, 2017, 01:19:48 PM »

I was at that show!  Big Wreck opened . . . then we ended up playing "That Song"  as the opening in our cover band shows for two years  (and "The Oaf" a few times)

• No Day But Today
« Reply #65 on: August 11, 2017, 01:26:16 PM »
Wasn't Al Pitrelli in Ethyl Mertz, too?

Yeah, I remember talking to him about getting some lessons from him.     Nothing came of it  :-(     The other guitarist in my band was one of Petrucci's former students but never pulled me aside to say  "umm you are playing just about everything wrong!"   :-)

I LOVED Al Pitrelli's First Widowmaker Album.  Some great songs and Dee Snider is in great form on that album.  Plus, Joe Franco is on Drums - shout out to the Good Rats!!     R.I.P. Peppi Marchello

Offline ZirconBlue

• DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #66 on: August 12, 2017, 02:06:36 PM »
I am pretty sure Take Away My Pain was the demo version in Cincinnati at Annie's Indoor. I could be wrong. That was a long time ago! I remember waiting in line in the afternoon to get in. I think about ten other people did so too. Inside the show, one could walk right down to the front of the stage. It's unreal thinking back to that show and considering where they are now!

My wife and I were at that show!  It was our first DT show.  Small club, tiny stage.   

Offline cfmoran13

« Reply #67 on: August 14, 2017, 07:16:55 AM »
I LOVED Al Pitrelli's First Widowmaker Album.  Some great songs and Dee Snider is in great form on that album.  Plus, Joe Franco is on Drums - shout out to the Good Rats!!     R.I.P. Peppi Marchello
I love that album!  I remember when the video for "Widowmaker" would be shown on Headbanger's Ball.  Initially, it didn't say the name of the band.  So, it took a while to figure out who the heck they were.  I got to see them when they toured their 2nd album at a little place in Virginia called Jaxx.  Great show.  But, I remember the bass being so loud that, by the end of the show, I felt like I was gonna vomit from the vibrations.

• No Day But Today
« Reply #68 on: August 14, 2017, 07:32:40 AM »
The first Widowmaker Album is still one of my favorite albums.     I saw them twice:  Once at Limelight and once at Long Island's second favorite hole in the wall - The Roxy!    "Blue For You" was so good live.

It Didn't matter who was playing bass . . .the other three in that band were top notch  1) Al Pitrelli  2) Dee Snider  3) The Almighty Joe Franco!

The Second Album - "Stand By For Pain"  was . . . . not so much . . .

Offline cfmoran13

« Reply #69 on: August 14, 2017, 12:03:58 PM »
The first Widowmaker Album is still one of my favorite albums.     I saw them twice:  Once at Limelight and once at Long Island's second favorite hole in the wall - The Roxy!    "Blue For You" was so good live.

It Didn't matter who was playing bass . . .the other three in that band were top notch  1) Al Pitrelli  2) Dee Snider  3) The Almighty Joe Franco!

The Second Album - "Stand By For Pain"  was . . . . not so much . . .
The bass player was fine.  It was just that the frequency was so darn loud, it messed with my head and body to the point where I wanted to throw up.

I agree that the first album was way better than the follow-up.