Author Topic: Did anyone witness the Touring Into Infinity tour?  (Read 8821 times)

Offline DTresearcher

Did anyone witness the Touring Into Infinity tour?
« on: January 11, 2017, 05:06:40 AM »
DTF community, I'm hoping some Longtime fans can help me out here...

According to Wikipedia (the fountain of all knowledge, all hail the collective consciousness of the internet), DT toured for a year after the release of Falling Into Infinity, and most of the songs they played from that album were performed more-or-less in the way that the band had originally written them (as featured on the 'Falling Into Infinity Demos' on Ytse Jams Records).
1997-98, the Internet was still in its infancy, so there weren't any 'dislikes' on YouTube music videos, or really much in the way of internet forums for people to go "honestly, I felt [like this] about FII" (though if I'm wrong about that, please enlighten me) - so my question is thus; Did DT perform the songs in their Demo forms Live because THEY wanted to, or because THEIR FANS wanted them to? If their fans wanted them to, how did they communicate with each other/the band to say "Not really a great album IMO." or "I've heard their bootlegs/demos, they sounded way better"?

This is following a questionnaire I'd posted a while back on the main board, where I asked fans about FII and SFaM and some other things. I'll take this opportunity to thank anyone who responded to said questionnaire ("do you prefer Falling... or Scenes...?"), as it's helping me conduct research for an Undergraduate paper.

Thanks,
DTresearcher  :tup

Online TAC

• DTF.org Alumni
  • Arthritic Metal Horns
Re: Did anyone witness the Touring Into Infinity tour?
« Reply #1 on: January 11, 2017, 05:43:16 AM »
Pretty sure the main tour did not include the demo tracks. I think they pulled them out far later, especially in the Christmas shows.

I only saw one show that tour, and it was the opening night of the tour in Providence.
would have thought the same thing but seeing the OP was TAC i immediately thought Maiden or DT related
Winger Theater Forums........or WTF.  ;D
TAC got a higher score than me in the electronic round? Honestly, can I just drop out now? :lol

Offline Eldomm

• Metropolis chemist
« Reply #2 on: January 11, 2017, 06:00:41 AM »
The demo versions of some tracks of Falling into Infinity were performed before the release of the album, in the "Evening of new music" tour.

Offline DTresearcher

« Reply #3 on: January 11, 2017, 06:09:21 AM »
Pretty sure the main tour did not include the demo tracks. I think they pulled them out far later, especially in the Christmas shows.

I only saw one show that tour, and it was the opening night of the tour in Providence.

Appreciated, thank you.
Your answer does lead me to another question, though (sort-of just re-asking an earlier one really). How did the band gather fan-responses to their work on FII (or indeed earlier works) before the age of the internet? They were already bigger than just a local NY band at the time, so had to have fans reach them from afar somehow...Were you a part of this, reader?

Thanks

Online TAC

• DTF.org Alumni
  • Arthritic Metal Horns
« Reply #4 on: January 11, 2017, 06:15:00 AM »
The demo versions of some tracks of Falling into Infinity were performed before the release of the album, in the "Evening of new music" tour.

Right. The Fix For '96 tour.

How did the band gather fan-responses to their work on FII (or indeed earlier works) before the age of the internet? They were already bigger than just a local NY band at the time, so had to have fans reach them from afar somehow...Were you a part of this, reader?

Wasn't there some sort of mailing list? I think I've heard about that.

I had already seen them a number of times each time they came through Boston or Providence. This was before the internet. In fact, I didn't even have a computer until about the time FII came out.
would have thought the same thing but seeing the OP was TAC i immediately thought Maiden or DT related
TAC got a higher score than me in the electronic round? Honestly, can I just drop out now? :lol

Offline DTresearcher

« Reply #5 on: January 11, 2017, 06:20:19 AM »
Wasn't there some sort of mailing list? I think I've heard about that.

I had already seen them a number of times each time they came through Boston or Providence. This was before the internet. In fact, I didn't even have a computer until about the time FII came out.

Great, that might explain things. Hardcore fans writing strongly worded letters to bands who 'let them down' sounds like the 80's/90's version of twitter trolls to me haha.

Online TAC

• DTF.org Alumni
  • Arthritic Metal Horns
« Reply #6 on: January 11, 2017, 06:59:31 AM »
I'm not sure what you are getting at. Were fans telling DT they felt let down?

I know for me, when FII came out, I was definitely disappointed. I thought they sold out. I thought that was it. I still went to see them because I loved them, and was hoping that whatever they did next would be better.

Plus, I was never really on board with Derek. I mean it was fine that he did the Awake tour in a pinch, but I was surprised to see them make him a full member. I was one, who at the time, didn't think Derek had the chops, so to speak.  But there was no YouTube to check his previous work. I am a huge Alice Cooper fan, and obviously, I had seen Derek with Alice, but other than some off stage work with Kiss, was there proof that he could hang with this young virtuosic band. I felt FII was dummed down, even though it had a couple great tracks.

Offline Setlist Scotty

« Reply #7 on: January 11, 2017, 11:32:00 AM »
I saw them 3 times on this tour (Milwaukee and Madison in 1997, and Chicago in 1998). From what I recall, and I'd have to listen to a couple bootlegs to verify, the only song that varied from the album version (that is, how the song appeared on FII) was TAMP. From what I remember, the first verse/chorus of the song was like the demo version, and the second verse/chorus and balance of the song was like the album version.

As for how the band knew the audience's reception, it was largely by talking to the fans before and after the show (whether at the aftershows or hanging out by the bus), as well as MP reading what was posted by the fans on the Ytsejam Mailing List. Here's a link to the archived posts:
https://interzone.com/Music/Ytsejam/

For me personally, while I didn't get to attend any of the Fix for '96 or An Evening of New Music tours where the band premiered several FII songs in their demo form, I was well aware of those new songs because I had a bootleg of one of the shows that I listened to pretty religiously and for the most part liked the new songs. So needless to say, when I got a copy of FII, I was definitely disappointed in the changes that were made.

Regarding Derek, I really didn't have a problem with him being the in the band, unlike TAC. The only 2 things that really bothered me were his stage presence (with the clothes, shag carpeting on his riser, etc.) and his over-reliance on the Hammond Organ sound for his keyboards. To this day, I wish he would've had the opportunity to do at least one more album with DT, just to hear what else he could've contributed, as I thought he had a lot to offer.
As a basic rule, if you hate it, you must solely blame Portnoy. If it's good, then you must downplay MP's contribution to the band as not being important anyway, or claim he's just lying. It's the DTF way.

Offline rumborak

• DT.net Veteran
« Reply #8 on: January 11, 2017, 12:04:03 PM »
Saw them once on the tour in Bonn, Germany. Regular album versions there. However, we were treated to Nightmare Cinema, so I can't complain.

I was always a big fan of Derek, including his stage antics. Sure it was a bit hodgepodge, but I felt had they not ditched him right away again, he would have had a good influence on their stage presence.
"I liked when Myung looked like a women's figure skating champion."

Offline bosk1

• King of Misdirection
  • Administrator
  • Bow down to Boskaryus
« Reply #9 on: January 11, 2017, 12:24:58 PM »
Going to move this to the general DT forum where it will get more views and responses, since it is more of a quest for information than specific concert discussion.
"The Supreme Court of the United States has descended from the disciplined legal reasoning of John Marshall and Joseph Story to the mystical aphorisms of the fortune cookie."

Offline Setlist Scotty

« Reply #10 on: January 11, 2017, 12:41:58 PM »
Saw them once on the tour in Bonn, Germany. Regular album versions there. However, we were treated to Nightmare Cinema, so I can't complain.
Rumby, if you saw the Bonn show that had NC, then you were at a show from the An Evening of New Music tour, which featured the demo versions of the songs, not the album versions!  :P
As a basic rule, if you hate it, you must solely blame Portnoy. If it's good, then you must downplay MP's contribution to the band as not being important anyway, or claim he's just lying. It's the DTF way.

Offline Freeze

« Reply #11 on: January 11, 2017, 01:22:14 PM »
I saw them in Oslo in 1998 , and the songs they performed from FII were pretty much true to the album versions.

Offline Tony From Long Island

• No Day But Today
« Reply #12 on: January 11, 2017, 02:04:29 PM »
I saw the fix for 96 X-mas show at Mulcahys.   If I remember, take away my pain was the demo version.  I'll have to dig out my cassette I made that night hiding it in my pants!

I am someone who liked FII immediately  (except for maybe New Millenium - which I still don't really care for). I still listen to FII often.
https://www.youtube.com/channel/UCtvUwbiqcKY_DF-0WXtlHFg       Listen to my mediocre recordings!

• No Day But Today
« Reply #13 on: January 11, 2017, 02:09:11 PM »
Oh . . . I'm not that big on ANNA LEE either

but to answer the actual question, I saw DT:

Friday November 21, 1997 at  Tradewinds
Saturday November 22, 1997 at Irving Plaza
Sunday January 4, 1998 at The Vanderbilt

I think all three of those were during that tour
https://www.youtube.com/channel/UCtvUwbiqcKY_DF-0WXtlHFg       Listen to my mediocre recordings!

Offline rumborak

• DT.net Veteran
« Reply #14 on: January 11, 2017, 02:20:30 PM »
Rumby, if you saw the Bonn show that had NC, then you were at a show from the An Evening of New Music tour, which featured the demo versions of the songs, not the album versions!  :P

Dang! Such a long time ago. But it definitely had NC in it.

I also vaguely remember an MP birthday at the venue.

EDIT: Just dug an old email by my brother who is much better at remembering this stuff. I saw them once for the New Music tour, and twice with the Touring into Infinity.
« Last Edit: January 11, 2017, 02:28:05 PM by rumborak »
"I liked when Myung looked like a women's figure skating champion."

Online devieira73

• Boldly go where no brazilian has gone before...
« Reply #15 on: January 11, 2017, 03:38:13 PM »
Being a big fan since 93, I saw them on the first brazilian tour! My show was the Rio de Janeiro one and it was a week before the release of FII. So it was the first time that I heard Burning my soul, Peruvian skies, Lines in the sand and... Hollow years ( I guess?). All of them the way they were recorded on FII. It was an incredible show!
"one small step for a man, one giant leap for mankind." (RIP Neil Armstrong)

Offline Setlist Scotty

« Reply #16 on: January 11, 2017, 04:20:51 PM »
So it was the first time that I heard Burning my soul, Peruvian skies, Lines in the sand and... Hollow years ( I guess?).
Not HY, but JLMB.
https://www.mikeportnoy.com/dates/MPTourography/ShowInfo.aspx?showId=339

Online devieira73

• Boldly go where no brazilian has gone before...
« Reply #17 on: January 11, 2017, 05:09:22 PM »
That's it, thanks! Anyway, almost 20 years after, I still remember most of the setlist by memory, so I'm ok with that! ;)
"one small step for a man, one giant leap for mankind." (RIP Neil Armstrong)

Offline KevShmev

• EZBoard Elder
« Reply #18 on: January 11, 2017, 07:25:56 PM »
I was always a big fan of Derek, including his stage antics. Sure it was a bit hodgepodge, but I felt had they not ditched him right away again, he would have had a good influence on their stage presence.

Agreed.  Granted, I think bringing Rudess in was the right move, but Sherinian gave them some ROCK personality on stage that they didn't have prior and haven't had since. 

Online TAC

• DTF.org Alumni
  • Arthritic Metal Horns
« Reply #19 on: January 11, 2017, 07:26:50 PM »
But to me, that was their charm.

Offline RaiseTheKnife

« Reply #20 on: January 11, 2017, 08:58:42 PM »
Let's see, for FII I was at the

*Fix for 96 show - The Strand in Providence

*the WHJY birthday show at Lupo's (which featured the first ever performance of NM and Hollow Years, plus debut of the album version of Burning My Soul.)

*Boston '98 show with Big Wreck, which featured the Fasten Your Seatbelts version of Ytse Jam

*Great Woods, MA - ELP/Deep Purple tour

*Christmas show '98 at in Toad's Place CT (which featured most of the FII b-sides, including the first ever performance of Where Are You Now).  Maybe my favorite show.

In terms of communicating feedback with the band, like many fans, I waited in the back of venues (often in the cold) and was lucky for the chance to chat with the band after each of the above shows.  I recall talking in particular with MP about the album vs '96 version of Take Away My Pain, the lyrics to Raise the Knife (go figure!) and clarifying with JP the lyrics to the extra verse removed from Lines in the Sand, and other topics.

There was no expectation by the fans to hear the songs any way other than the album version, since the demo versions were very scarce, and only a few fans were exposed to them at the time, so the band played the versions the audience would expect to hear live (with the exception of the tweaks made to Take Away My Pain, as Scotty mentioned above). 

To answer your other poll, I've always preferred FII over SFAM.

Offline Samsara

• Queensr˙che Biographer and Historian
  • DTF.org Alumni
  • Driving the nail into my head. Memory flows...
« Reply #21 on: January 12, 2017, 09:01:04 AM »
I saw them open for Deep Purple at Jones Beach. Opened with New Millenium, and also played You Not Me, iirc. Both were album versions.

Also saw dec 98 holiday show in nyc, but that obviously wasnt in support of fii.

I also prefer fii to sfam, and agree with scotty that i wanted another record with derek s.
Roads to Madness: The Touring History of Queensr˙che (1981-1997) - Out in May 2024!

www.roadstomadness.com

• No Day But Today
« Reply #22 on: January 12, 2017, 10:28:12 AM »
I . . . .  agree with scotty that i wanted another record with derek s.

While I have loved DT stuff with all three Keyboard players, I also would have loved more with Derek.    You can't really count A Change of Seasons because he wasn't involved in writing it  (though there were so many revisions that he could have been involved with the final version)

Maybe that's just a little nostalgia on my part because those were fun years in my life.  I smile remembering watching Derek flirt with a KORG rep (who will remain nameless). 

Derek certainly has had a very dynamic career. Wasn't he in Wayne's World?   I think he also played behind the curtain for KISS's Alive III.

Offline MirrorMask

« Reply #23 on: January 12, 2017, 11:47:12 AM »
Derek certainly has had a very dynamic career. Wasn't he in Wayne's World?

Yeah, because he was at the time with Alice Cooper who stars in the film.
I use my sig to pimp some bands from Italy! Check out Elvenking (Power / Folk metal), Folkstone (Rock / Medieval metal), Arcana Opera (Gothic/Noir/Heavy metal) and the beautiful voice of Elisa!

Offline cramx3

• Chillest of the chill
  • DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #24 on: January 12, 2017, 01:24:59 PM »
Derek certainly has had a very dynamic career. Wasn't he in Wayne's World?

Yeah, because he was at the time with Alice Cooper who stars in the film.

Wait, really?  That's such an awesome scene.  To youtube to spot Derek in it...

:rollin yea there he is.  Only can be seen for like a split second as the camera pans and he is holding a beer. Around the 23 second mark https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=o5FT3IGXtAk
« Last Edit: January 12, 2017, 01:30:52 PM by cramx3 »

Offline bosk1

• King of Misdirection
  • Administrator
  • Bow down to Boskaryus
« Reply #25 on: January 12, 2017, 04:25:04 PM »
Yup.  And Stef Burns on guitar.  :hearts:
"The Supreme Court of the United States has descended from the disciplined legal reasoning of John Marshall and Joseph Story to the mystical aphorisms of the fortune cookie."

Online TAC

• DTF.org Alumni
  • Arthritic Metal Horns
« Reply #26 on: January 12, 2017, 06:06:19 PM »
Alice's band at that time, for the Hey Stoopid tour in 1991:

Vinnie Moore
Stef Burns
Derek Sherinian
Eric Singer
Greg Smith

:metal

Offline ytserush

• Like clockwork...
« Reply #27 on: January 13, 2017, 03:39:25 PM »
I'm not sure what you are getting at. Were fans telling DT they felt let down?

I know for me, when FII came out, I was definitely disappointed. I thought they sold out. I thought that was it. I still went to see them because I loved them, and was hoping that whatever they did next would be better.

Plus, I was never really on board with Derek. I mean it was fine that he did the Awake tour in a pinch, but I was surprised to see them make him a full member. I was one, who at the time, didn't think Derek had the chops, so to speak.  But there was no YouTube to check his previous work. I am a huge Alice Cooper fan, and obviously, I had seen Derek with Alice, but other than some off stage work with Kiss, was there proof that he could hang with this young virtuosic band. I felt FII was dummed down, even though it had a couple great tracks.

Wow...I could have said this myself (probably less well than you did.) Except for the Alice part anyway....

I thought the show I saw (and some of the boots I decided to listen to) were kind of dumbed down too. More mistakes and less quality control generally....

As a fan, there was definitely a bunch of stuff going on with the record label and the band themselves that really doesn't matter anymore now.

I like it a lot more than I used to because it is so different. (I'll never like Anna Lee though. Before Systematic Chaos came along Anna Lee was my least favorite Dream Theater song ever by a wide margin. Not so sure anymore.)

Based on those intiial feelings I only saw the proper tour once at the Tradewinds in 1997. (Caught a show each in 96 and 98.) It's still probably my least favorite Dream Theater tour ever and felt that vibe that the wheels were beginning to fall off. (Of course at that time many fans didn't know about Mike substance abuse problems.)

Offline Kwyjibo

• Worse troll than Blabbermouth
« Reply #28 on: January 16, 2017, 06:04:46 AM »

I was there too because I definitely remember seeing Nightmare Cinema.

But I don't know if the songs were demo versions. The album wasn't out and I didn't know the songs. And when the album came out I couldn't recall if there were changes made. In fact I didn't know for some years that there demo versions that were different. But you are probably right.
Must've been Kwyji sending all the wrong songs.   ;D

Offline Prog Snob

• DT.net Veteran
  • In the end we're left infinitely and utterly alone
« Reply #29 on: January 16, 2017, 06:08:29 AM »
I saw quite a few shows from that tour. Anything that came close to New York, I went to.

Offline DTresearcher

« Reply #30 on: January 16, 2017, 06:36:56 AM »
Let's see, for FII I was at the

*Fix for 96 show - The Strand in Providence

*the WHJY birthday show at Lupo's (which featured the first ever performance of NM and Hollow Years, plus debut of the album version of Burning My Soul.)

*Boston '98 show with Big Wreck, which featured the Fasten Your Seatbelts version of Ytse Jam

*Great Woods, MA - ELP/Deep Purple tour

*Christmas show '98 at in Toad's Place CT (which featured most of the FII b-sides, including the first ever performance of Where Are You Now).  Maybe my favorite show.

In terms of communicating feedback with the band, like many fans, I waited in the back of venues (often in the cold) and was lucky for the chance to chat with the band after each of the above shows.  I recall talking in particular with MP about the album vs '96 version of Take Away My Pain, the lyrics to Raise the Knife (go figure!) and clarifying with JP the lyrics to the extra verse removed from Lines in the Sand, and other topics.

There was no expectation by the fans to hear the songs any way other than the album version, since the demo versions were very scarce, and only a few fans were exposed to them at the time, so the band played the versions the audience would expect to hear live (with the exception of the tweaks made to Take Away My Pain, as Scotty mentioned above). 

To answer your other poll, I've always preferred FII over SFAM.

Thanks a lot for that! If you haven't already, I'd love if you could spare 5m for my other post's questionnaire  :D

Offline jsbru

« Reply #31 on: January 16, 2017, 01:08:59 PM »
I saw them 3 times on this tour (Milwaukee and Madison in 1997, and Chicago in 1998).

The November '97 Milwaukee show on this tour was my first DT show ever, so we must have both been at that show.  It was so long ago, though, that I don't really remember what they played.  I remember being really thrilled that Scarred was on the list, and I remember New Millennium.  That's pretty much it.
“The music business is a cruel and shallow money trench, a long plastic hallway where thieves and pimps run free, and good men die like dogs. There's also a negative side.”

― Hunter S. Thompson

Offline Art

« Reply #32 on: January 17, 2017, 11:38:54 AM »
My fisrt time seeing DT live was on this tour, at the '98 Phillips Monsters Of Rock in Sao Paulo.

I became a fan because of this show!  :metal

They played with Glenn Hughes, Savatage, Manowar, Slayer and Megadeth.

Offline cfmoran13

« Reply #33 on: January 18, 2017, 12:09:29 PM »
I got to see them a total of 4 times where they played FII songs either before the album was released or when they toured the album:
 - 12/14/96 - Fix for '96, Birch Hill, Old Bridge, NJ - Burning My Soul, Lines In The Sand and Take Away My Pain were all played in what they called the "'96" versions.  They also played "Caught In Alice's Nine Inch Tool Garden" which contained elements of what would become "New Millenium".
 - 10/25/97 - Toad's Place, New Haven, CT
 - 11/21/97 - Tradewinds, Sea Bright, NJ
 - 12/26/98 - Birch Hill, Old Bridge, NJ
« Last Edit: January 18, 2017, 01:34:54 PM by cfmoran13 »

Offline cramx3

• Chillest of the chill
  • DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #34 on: January 18, 2017, 01:21:31 PM »
The Tradewinds in NJ?  I can't believe the band played there.