Author Topic: The skiing and snowboarding thread  (Read 3155 times)

Offline Phoenix87x

• From the ashes
  • The Phoenix shall rise
The skiing and snowboarding thread
« on: January 08, 2017, 02:41:16 PM »
I've been a skier since I was 6 years old and transitioned to snowboarding over the past few years and I absolutely love it. At the moment I can do Blue Squares with the snowboard, but I am slowly improving my skills to do a black diamond. Its such an amazing feeling flying down that mountain, i just can't get enough.

Anyone else either ski or snowboard?

Offline MrBoom_shack-a-lack

• I hit things for a living!
  • DTF.org Member
Re: The skiing and snowboarding thread
« Reply #1 on: January 09, 2017, 02:33:05 AM »
I used to ski alot when I was younger because my family would take yearly trips to a ski resort but I haven't done it in years. Mostly because I simply don't have any friends that skii. Would love too pick it up because I miss it and I love the nature surrounding the mountains and the openess it brings, especially going off-piste.
« Last Edit: January 09, 2017, 01:06:48 PM by MrBoom_shack-a-lack »
"I said to Nigel Tufnel, 'The door is open if you want to do anything on this record,' but it turns out Nigel has a phobia about doors." /Derek Smalls

Online Chino

• Be excellent to each other.
  • DT.net Veteran
« Reply #2 on: January 09, 2017, 06:01:01 AM »
I tried snowboarding once and it was the least fun day I think I've ever had outdoors, absolutely terrifying, and that includes the time I went temporarily blind when I got a severe concussion.

Offline ReaperKK

• Sweeter After Difficulty
  • DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #3 on: January 09, 2017, 06:03:57 AM »
I've been snowboarding, I'm terrible at it but it's some of the most fun I've had. I hope to make a trip to go snowboarding again soon.

I've never skied.

Offline rumborak

• DT.net Veteran
« Reply #4 on: January 09, 2017, 11:36:12 AM »
I actually like snowboarding, but living in the Northeast that most of the time has terrible conditions with tons of ice patches, II have found myself boarding less and less. I mean, the last two times I have gone, each time a friend of mine was in mortal pain at some point. That's not the point of the exercise I believe.
"I liked when Myung looked like a women's figure skating champion."

Online SchecterShredder

• The 'other other' Rich
« Reply #5 on: January 09, 2017, 12:22:53 PM »
I used to ski when I was really young (like 8-12), then I switched to snowboarding in junior high (grades 7-9 in my Canadian province). I've been snowboarding now for 20 years, and I still love it! The Rocky mountains are only a few hours drive from my city, so there's premium resorts close enough that I can do a day trip to the mountains. Also, there's 5 or 6 local hills in and around town since we're on the banks of a major river, so there's always somewhere to go riding. Probably helps that we usually have snow from Nov-Mar every year.

Offline Phoenix87x

• From the ashes
  • The Phoenix shall rise
« Reply #6 on: March 14, 2018, 06:44:00 AM »
Went snowboarding yesterday and it was utterly incredible.

I haven't been snowboarding for all that long, so up to this point I could only do Green trails comfortably. Yesterday I was able to go down blues for the first time comfortably, which made me very happy. I even attempted a Black diamond  :eek . Sure I fell down most off it, but it was still fun  :lol   I also tried the terrain park for the first time and that was loads of fun as well. It was such an amazing day. It makes me feel so good to have progression in ability.

Did anyone else get to go skiing or snowboarding this season? and where did you go?

Offline bosk1

• King of Misdirection
  • Administrator
  • Bow down to Boskaryus
« Reply #7 on: March 14, 2018, 07:31:35 AM »
It has been such a dry winter here until just recently, and I have been so busy, that I haven't gotten out.  But I am hoping to change that and get in a few trips in the next few weeks. 
"The Supreme Court of the United States has descended from the disciplined legal reasoning of John Marshall and Joseph Story to the mystical aphorisms of the fortune cookie."

Online lonestar

• DTF Executive Chef
  • Official DTF Tour Guide
  • Silly Hatted Knife Chucker
« Reply #8 on: March 14, 2018, 10:42:26 PM »
It has been such a dry winter here until just recently, and I have been so busy, that I haven't gotten out.  But I am hoping to change that and get in a few trips in the next few weeks.

Which mountains do you usually hit? I spent pretty much my whole adolescence at either Alpine Meadows or Squaw.

Offline bosk1

• King of Misdirection
  • Administrator
  • Bow down to Boskaryus
« Reply #9 on: March 26, 2018, 01:41:32 PM »

Which mountains do you usually hit? I spent pretty much my whole adolescence at either Alpine Meadows or Squaw.

Usually Sierra at Tahoe.  I'm not crazy about how crowded it can get.  But the convenience factor and price make it worthwhile.  And it has lots of nice groomed blue runs, which is ideal for me.  I only skied Alpine Meadows once, but really liked it.  I definitely wouldn't mind getting back on that mountain.  Mammoth is great too, but is much more of an undertaking to get to.
"The Supreme Court of the United States has descended from the disciplined legal reasoning of John Marshall and Joseph Story to the mystical aphorisms of the fortune cookie."

Online lonestar

• DTF Executive Chef
  • Official DTF Tour Guide
  • Silly Hatted Knife Chucker
« Reply #10 on: March 26, 2018, 01:55:37 PM »
Never skied Mammoth. I learned at Sierra, and have skied at probably every other mountain in that area. Squaw, Kirkwood and Alpine are my favs though, they  have the most challenging terrain for sure.

• DTF.org Member
« Reply #11 on: February 22, 2023, 05:40:31 AM »
So last weekend I had  such an urge to have an adventure and want to go out in nature so I booked a trip to do cross-country skiing which I hadn't done since I was a kid about 25 years ago.
On day 2 now and I absolutely love the nature aspect altough compared to downhill it's soo freakin hard to do correct with all it's technics. Did a 9 kms lap today all around the resort and it was pretty brutal with lots of uphills.
Two things that suprised me was the struggle with balance I had since they're so small compared to downhill skiis I felt likd bambi on ice at times. I also found going downhill snd keeping balance was hard especially in curves.
My body is pretty sore after two days but all in all I love the physical aspect to it and it's a great exercise for your whole body. I wish I had more easy access to snow where I live, I had to travel for 10 hours to get proper winterlanscape.
"I said to Nigel Tufnel, 'The door is open if you want to do anything on this record,' but it turns out Nigel has a phobia about doors." /Derek Smalls

Offline bosk1

• King of Misdirection
  • Administrator
  • Bow down to Boskaryus
« Reply #12 on: February 22, 2023, 09:15:32 AM »
I cross country skied once in Minnesota in the '90s and really enjoyed it.  You are right--it is a great workout.  Wouldn't mind revisiting it.

Due to fire damage at Sierra, we have been skiing Kirkwood the last 2 years.  My daughter surpassed me at the end of last year and is doing what I would consider middling black runs that have some moguls and challenging terrain.  Her and my middle son have been encouraging me to get out on some easier blacks with them, which has pushed my abilities as well. 

• DTF.org Member
« Reply #13 on: February 22, 2023, 10:01:10 AM »
I have to admit I was a bit tempted to rent some downhill skies for a day because seeing them going down with such ease while struggling 10 meters on skies small as iceskates, made me a bit jelly. However since I only had two skiedays I focused on cross-country. It's also more expensive renting downhill aswell as the skipass.

Offline Dublagent66

• Devouring consciousness...
  • DTF.org Alumni
  • ...Digesting power
« Reply #14 on: February 22, 2023, 01:56:33 PM »
I snowed skied a lot as a kid and got pretty good at it.  Only tried snowboarding once.  Way too old and outta shape to do any of that stuff now.  Never did cross country cause I liked to go fast.
"Two things are infinite; the universe and human stupidity; and I'm not sure about the universe." -Albert Einstein
"There's not a pill you can take.  There's not a class you can go to.  Stupid is foreva."  -Ron White

Offline bosk1

• King of Misdirection
  • Administrator
  • Bow down to Boskaryus
« Reply #15 on: February 28, 2023, 09:36:42 AM »
We are getting tons of snow up in the mountains here.  I am waiting for the storms to subside a bit and plan to get up there again in the next couple of weeks.  It has been pretty glorious.